Jessie

Re: RELEASE: EmulationStation 2.0-RC1

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:59 pm

KitchUK wrote: Let us know how the CRT works out! I was thinking of buying one (for like £20) and using with the Pi for all the retro games. Out of interest, how will you be connecting the pi to the TV, Composite cables?
Yeh, just the old compo cables. I got an adapter for my B+ and have been testing it through the compo port on my living room TV. I bought a camcorder cable for cheap which besides having the colors wrong on the end cable it has the ground in the correct spot so after swapping the red and yellow jacks it works fine. It may confuse anyone other than me but who cares? I will report back and maybe take a video or pic or two.

@shrapnel09 I don't have any audio issues with my B+ and the composite port on my TV and SNES games. I do however get some pretty nasty controller lag with my Xbox 360 controller, which I do not get with my KADE encoder. Which sucks because I'm not using a KADE with this particular pie. I turned on "game" mode within my TV settings and it didn't help much. It is supposed to cut off any post processing to speed up response times, it works well with my PS3 and even when I get lip sync issues with movies turning game mode on tends to fix them. But no dice this time. My ARM clock is at 1000 Mhz I may try messing with it and the other clocks to see what happens. AS-IS the CPU isn't pegged though it is sitting at between 70 and 90% with most SNES games so I don't know if it will help. I wonder if there is a way to OC the USB hub?

Edit: the controller lag has been fixed. It turns out there was a problem with my old XB360 controller.

hbg

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:10 am

Hi.
Suggestion.
For a next release, have the ability for Categories & or favourites. Just like in Mame 32.

shrapnel09

Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:44 am

Thank for the additional info Jessie, sorry I didn't respond sooner, been an INSANE week at work past week and I've hardly touched the pie since my last post.

However, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting a little frustrated here. Where do I even go to get different emulators, how do I configured them? didn't see an option to configure the retroarch emuatlor, do I even have it? is it the default when a new emulator pops up in ES after loading a rom to its respective folder? How would I know?

I ran the ES config just to see what options i would get, looks like it installed a bunch of stuff for a few minutes and thats it... okay cool maybe if I access again it will give me a menu, nope, just did the install thing again, so what am I supposed to do with the ES config option?

And why doesn't ES have a console specific button config for each emulator loaded? I am just using 360 controller now for testing and for some reason I cant move left/right in my snes game (worked last time for some reason). I 'installed' the x360 driver from the retropie_setup menu and it said it was finished and will be initialized on reboot, okay did the reboot and now what? I didn't notice a difference, I still need to configure extra buttons outside of the ES nav menu, so now where do i go?

I watched a few youtube videos but they are dated and not sure if they still apply, even then I am still left with a hundred unanswered questions.

I really want to see his project work but I feel there is a severe lack of documentation on how this thing actually functions and what to even do with it. Sorry if I'm being ignorant here but if there is any comprehensive documentation out there that explains how all this works it would be immensely helpful! :P

Thank you! :)

Jessie

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:45 pm

shrapnel09 wrote:Thank for the additional info Jessie, sorry I didn't respond sooner, been an INSANE week at work past week and I've hardly touched the pie since my last post.

However, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting a little frustrated here. Where do I even go to get different emulators, how do I configured them? didn't see an option to configure the retroarch emuatlor, do I even have it? is it the default when a new emulator pops up in ES after loading a rom to its respective folder? How would I know?

I ran the ES config just to see what options i would get, looks like it installed a bunch of stuff for a few minutes and thats it... okay cool maybe if I access again it will give me a menu, nope, just did the install thing again, so what am I supposed to do with the ES config option?

And why doesn't ES have a console specific button config for each emulator loaded? I am just using 360 controller now for testing and for some reason I cant move left/right in my snes game (worked last time for some reason). I 'installed' the x360 driver from the retropie_setup menu and it said it was finished and will be initialized on reboot, okay did the reboot and now what? I didn't notice a difference, I still need to configure extra buttons outside of the ES nav menu, so now where do i go?

I watched a few youtube videos but they are dated and not sure if they still apply, even then I am still left with a hundred unanswered questions.

I really want to see his project work but I feel there is a severe lack of documentation on how this thing actually functions and what to even do with it. Sorry if I'm being ignorant here but if there is any comprehensive documentation out there that explains how all this works it would be immensely helpful! :P

Thank you! :)
EmulationStation, RetroPie, RetroArch/Libretro are all separate projects. Many get that confused, and every time some site talks about making a R Pi emulator box these forums get hammered with people having issues getting theirs to work. In-fact a traffic heavy tech news site linked to one two weeks back.

Emulationstation is just a graphical front end to launch emulators. People can make button config scripts and then they could be loaded from ES, but it hasn't happened yet. It isn't Aloshi's problem to provide a config script for each emulator, he is a nice guy doing this in his spare time. Would it be nice to have something for the more common emulators? Yes, but no one has done it. It isn't a paid project (Either RetroPie or EmulationStation) so we are in no position to make demands. The best way to get things done is to help by doing it yourself, if you can't do it yourself or don't have the time then you are at the mercy of others.

Most of the YouTube vids are of 1.1 and older versions. RetroArch emulators were much easer to configure back then (IMO). Many of the others fringe emulators were just as hard. So some ease of use was given up (it seems as I don't make decisions or even know any of the people working on either project) in order to make a nicer presentation. When I first loaded up RetroPie 2.3 I was pretty frustrated by some things, notably the movement of the directories from where I knew them to be, and the loss of the graphical config within Libretro emulators. But the reality is that it isn't that hard to edit a text file and make them work. I use an Xbox360 pad and after a couple tweaks everything has worked for me as expected.

The documentation just isn't there yet. I'm trying to work on some to help people but I'm time limited. RetroPie and ES are evolving everyday as we speak and nothing is concrete enough to really document things.

The Pi is not a consumer device, and it was never meant to be turn-key. It is meant to be a learning tool. When I get some more time I may try to write a bash script to populate all the config files, but I haven't written a script in over 10 years so who knows how that will go. I will also continue to write a tutorial here on the forums to help people. I think in the least it would be nice to have a script that would auto-detect a wired Xbox360 pad and populate all the config files as they tend to be the most prolific controllers out there.

Elvens

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:04 pm

Hello. I not really understand how EmulationStation works. When I set up it and ran "./emulationstation" I saw window with text: "We can't find any systems! Check that your paths are correct in the systems configuration file, and your game directory has at least one game with the correct extension."
Thank you for help!

shrapnel09

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:06 am

EmulationStation, RetroPie, RetroArch/Libretro are all separate projects. Many get that confused, and every time some site talks about making a R Pi emulator box these forums get hammered with people having issues getting theirs to work. In-fact a traffic heavy tech news site linked to one two weeks back.

Emulationstation is just a graphical front end to launch emulators. People can make button config scripts and then they could be loaded from ES, but it hasn't happened yet. It isn't Aloshi's problem to provide a config script for each emulator, he is a nice guy doing this in his spare time. Would it be nice to have something for the more common emulators? Yes, but no one has done it. It isn't a paid project (Either RetroPie or EmulationStation) so we are in no position to make demands. The best way to get things done is to help by doing it yourself, if you can't do it yourself or don't have the time then you are at the mercy of others.

Most of the YouTube vids are of 1.1 and older versions. RetroArch emulators were much easer to configure back then (IMO). Many of the others fringe emulators were just as hard. So some ease of use was given up (it seems as I don't make decisions or even know any of the people working on either project) in order to make a nicer presentation. When I first loaded up RetroPie 2.3 I was pretty frustrated by some things, notably the movement of the directories from where I knew them to be, and the loss of the graphical config within Libretro emulators. But the reality is that it isn't that hard to edit a text file and make them work. I use an Xbox360 pad and after a couple tweaks everything has worked for me as expected.

The documentation just isn't there yet. I'm trying to work on some to help people but I'm time limited. RetroPie and ES are evolving everyday as we speak and nothing is concrete enough to really document things.

The Pi is not a consumer device, and it was never meant to be turn-key. It is meant to be a learning tool. When I get some more time I may try to write a bash script to populate all the config files, but I haven't written a script in over 10 years so who knows how that will go. I will also continue to write a tutorial here on the forums to help people. I think in the least it would be nice to have a script that would auto-detect a wired Xbox360 pad and populate all the config files as they tend to be the most prolific controllers out there.
Thanks for helping clear a few things up, please don't take me wrong the Emulation Station is an amazing piece of software and does exactly when I am looking for, a nice front end interface for my various emulators running in the background. And I really do appreciate all the (unpaid) time that has went into these projects, I shouldn't get too frustrated just because I can't understand the scope of everything. However, I have learned a bit in the past week so I think I am starting to get an understanding of how these projects work together. I have decided to put a hiatus on the Raspberry Pi on focus on an a dedicated Windows based computer connected to my TV. Once I get more comfortable I may move on the to Pi. So here is what I have been working on:

Install Emulation Station on the computer (with it being the first program windows boots to) and get it to recognize the various emulations and roms stored on the windows computer. First I tried installing Retroarch and wow the install seems quite complicated for an emulator, I mean I'm sure its a powerful program but with the compiling, and downloading of different tools, etc... I would really like to avoid RetroArch altogether for the time being (again I'm sure its awesome at what it does but I'm just not ready for that yet). With that said:

I want to focus on downloading standalone emulators like Stella and Snes9x and just have emulation station refer to those when browsing (no linux involved! :P). I DID find a nice piece on how the FAQ of this site that refers to doing just this (it has a nice script example as well). However, I'm still stuck. I am getting familiar with the es_systems.cfg file and just need ES to recognize the emulators (i.e. Snes9x) that I am using. I am at:

<command>retroarch -L ~/cores/libretro-fceumm.so %ROM%</command>

and I just need to change that /\ to my stand alone emulators, I'm trying real hard but no matter what when I launch a game I get 'retroarch' (or whatever I type in right after <command>) is not a recognizable program or command, etc. I've seen this example on your site: <command>snesemulator %ROM%</command> which is getting closer but I'm obviously missing some big pieces here.

I feel that I am close, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Just need to go a little bit further! Again your assistance has been amazing, thank you! :)

abalest

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Having a slight issue with my RaspberryPi specifically Retropie's build of Emulationstation. I have two 8 button usb buffalo SNES styled controllers, an edimax wifi dongle, and a 32gb sandisk micro flash card. The issue is intermittent, but relatively frequent. When I am scrolling through the SNES roms (without any theme customization) sometimes the pi will freeze. A reboot is required to get the device operational again. It happens both after I exit a game and even without entering and exiting a game. I have never had a game freeze on me, it's just in the navigation in Emulationstation. I tried doing a scrape, and on the first title it also froze, which leads me to believe there's something specifically wrong with Emulationstation. So, with these issues I have to go through my games quickly in order to not have it freeze. Not the biggest deal in the world, but I would really love to have my rig pretty rock solid. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Aloshi

Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:47 pm

shrapnel09 wrote:I am at:

<command>retroarch -L ~/cores/libretro-fceumm.so %ROM%</command>

and I just need to change that /\ to my stand alone emulators, I'm trying real hard but no matter what when I launch a game I get 'retroarch' (or whatever I type in right after <command>) is not a recognizable program or command, etc. I've seen this example on your site: <command>snesemulator %ROM%</command> which is getting closer but I'm obviously missing some big pieces here.
Try something like

Code: Select all

C:\path\to\my\emulator.exe "%ROM_RAW%"
This is what I usually use on Windows (there are some oddities with the shell). Almost all emulators (with the exception I think of MAME and ScummVM) take a ROM path as an argument to pick which game to launch. I use "%ROM_RAW%" on Windows because %ROM% doesn't always work for some reason (probably a difference between the escape sequences with Bash and the Windows shell?). The quotes are important!

Also if I remember right, if you use Higan, you should set the ROM directory to something like ~/AppData/Roaming/Emulation/[system] and use the extension of the folders in that directory. Then import the ROMs through Higan - it will put "clean" ROM files in that directory for you.

shrapnel09

Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:28 am

C:\path\to\my\emulator.exe "%ROM_RAW%"
Thats it! I swear I've tried something like that before a few times but maybe forgot the quotes or something? Anyway this is exactly what I needed, I'm starting to build my emulator list and everything. The goal will be to get this is as seemless as possible. For example when launching a genesis game I'd hate to have to go and select 'full screen' every time in the 'Gens' emulat0r. That was just a random example scenario, there may be a default setting for that.

Anyway thanks again this is huge for me! I'm sure I'll come back with something else but I'll try to solve my issues as much as I can on my own :P. You've made a grown man happy!

tinkernaut

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:53 pm

So, I've noticed an issue when I run the scraper tool. It managed to pull art, descriptions, and everything for my games (with good accuracy too, very few were missed. nicely done!). However, when the system is rebooted, none of the scraped information is shown (AKA. you see the normal list of games without associated art, descriptions, or anything).

So, then I went to check out the gamelist.xml files in /home/pi/.emulationstation/<system>, and saw that the one for the system in question only contained 2 lines, and no entries for any of the games that were scraped. I thought this might be a permissions issue on the file, so i added r/w permissions but there was no change.

As a second (and probably related issue), ES logs lines saying that it can't find the games listed in the gamelist.xml file because they are outside of the /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/<system> path. Does it delete them from the gamelist.xml file if it can't find them, and this is why the gamelist.xml is empty on reboot? Does ES have an issue tracking files down if they are symlinked from an external drive?

My game files are symlinked to an external hard drive, so my path looks like this:
/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/nes/NES/<game> where NES is a symlink to the NES directory on the external usb hard drive.

Ernisius

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:35 pm

%ROM% token in es_systems.cfg seems to replace spaces in a rom file name with backslash char.

Is there any way to avoid this without renaming the files.?

example (I used echo to test the command)

<command> echo F:\emulationstation\Emulators\Applewin\Applewin -d1 %ROM% </command> for filename Bug Attack.do
outputs
F:\emulationstation\Emulators\Applewin\Applewin -d1 """F:/emulationstation/gamer
oms/AppleII/Bug\ Attack.do"""

tinkernaut

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Ernisius wrote:%ROM% token in es_systems.cfg seems to replace spaces in a rom file name with backslash char.

Is there any way to avoid this without renaming the files.?

example (I used echo to test the command)

<command> echo F:\emulationstation\Emulators\Applewin\Applewin -d1 %ROM% </command> for filename Bug Attack.do
outputs
F:\emulationstation\Emulators\Applewin\Applewin -d1 """F:/emulationstation/gamer
oms/AppleII/Bug\ Attack.do"""
At a guess, I'd say the %ROM_RAW% variable is what you're looking for instead of %ROM%. Are you using ES on Windows? "F:\emulationstation\Emulators\Applewin\Applewin" is in the windows directory standard, rather than unix-style.

Ernisius

Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:52 pm

tinkernaut wrote:
At a guess, I'd say the %ROM_RAW% variable is what you're looking for instead of %ROM%. Are you using ES on Windows? "F:\emulationstation\Emulators\Applewin\Applewin" is in the windows directory standard, rather than unix-style.
Thanks, That fixed the issue.
I am installing on windows,

DigitalLumberjack

Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:28 am

Hi all,
As my girlfriend does not know english too much, i had to make a little work on my favorite frontend on my Retrobox :)

I adapted a little bit ES2 in order to add internationalization support. I used boost::locale to externalize strings. It is simple and light to integrate in existing sources as you just use "gettext" and "translate" functions with key strings in order to get the translated string.

You can access modified sources here : https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/Em ... /tree/i18n

The translations files are located in "locale" directory.

If you want to create a new translation take the model file (locale/fr_FR/LC_MESSAGES/messages.po) and translate it by change all "msgstr" values.
Then, for exemple for spanish, you will place the new file in locale/es_ES/LC_MESSAGES/messages.po

The command to compile po files is :

msgfmt message.po -o messages.mo
(you will need gettext package installed)

I will need the participation of a master of cmake in order to add the po compilation in the make process...

Last thing, "locale" directory must be in the same directory as the emulationstation bin.

@aloshi : i tried not to modify your code too much, so i let original strings in code, and use them as keys in translations files. So if no locale file is found, the default string (keys) are displayed, and the frontend is displayed in english.
Of course there is some work left, especially for multiplatform support (i do not have windows today , maybe i'll have some time tomorrow to work on it), and on cmake processes.

See ya :)

Makndav

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:16 pm

Hi everyone!

So I've been trying to use retropi along with my Raspberry B, with a 2.8 TFT LCD touchscreen powered by a 5v / 1A 4400 mAh Powerbank. I've ran into several problems along the way.

1) It was a pain to get the LCD screen that runs in SPI to display anything outside of a white screen. After finally tackling that, and having the LCD start to function it would not display ES, but would display Startx and Terminal. (However the resolution was so large I could literally could not see most of the windows that opened, namely the accept button.

2) 'Monitor settings' in Startx would not load, "Unable to get monitor information!"

3) Every command entered (that I found online) for terminal that could change the settings were not recognized.

I'm heavily considering breaking down and getting a larger LCD screen, (particularly one with an HDMI input, rather than using the GPIO, since I'm going to need full access to them once I build the controller) but I'm not sure if there's anything in the 5" or larger that it will:

A: Power just off the 5v 1A battery
B: Be compatible with the Raspberry without having to brute force it to be. (ADC / DAC circuits, buck boost considerations, etc)
C: Not drop me off at this exact same spot in the road. Showing terminal and Startx in resolution it will not allow me to modify. I heard to put the SD card in my PC and modifying the config.txt could help, but as I'm not connecting through HDMI (unless I purchase a different screen) I wonder if the size parameters I set in this is for only HDMI, or if it applies across the board to all video output.
What the heck am I doing wrong here?

Aloshi

Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:02 pm

DigitalLumberjack wrote:Hi all,
I adapted a little bit ES2 in order to add internationalization support. I used boost::locale to externalize strings. It is simple and light to integrate in existing sources as you just use "gettext" and "translate" functions with key strings in order to get the translated string.
Oh wow! I didn't know Boost had a library to do this! Nice work, this compliments the UTF-8 support that I've been working on. I'll look at your changes more closely when/if I get around to properly adding localization support. It should be possible to store the translation files in the executable using the same method we use to embed images/fonts (data files are converted to .c files with a utility called "res2h" that a contributor wrote).

Again, nice job. :)

floob

Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:14 pm

Is there anyway to get the old scraping script working with RetroPie 2.3?
It seems a lot of the paths have changed?
https://github.com/elpendor/ES-scraper/ ... scraper.py

The GUI version is great, but very slow and needs a bit of nudging now and again.

Alternatively is there a way to download all the metadata (on the assumption I have the relevant roms?)
RetroPie help videos: https://goo.gl/1IXE7N

cacophony555

Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:24 pm

floob wrote:Is there anyway to get the old scraping script working with RetroPie 2.3?

The GUI version is great, but very slow and needs a bit of nudging now and again.

Alternatively is there a way to download all the metadata (on the assumption I have the relevant roms?)
I haven't tested with the latest version of Emulation Station, but here's a script I wrote for the prior version:
http://webspace.lenscritic.com/mame/

floob

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:38 pm

cacophony555 wrote:
floob wrote:Is there anyway to get the old scraping script working with RetroPie 2.3?

I haven't tested with the latest version of Emulation Station, but here's a script I wrote for the prior version:
http://webspace.lenscritic.com/mame/
Thanks very much for the info on your script, I've given it a go but cant get the description section to work?
For example, if I use the inbuilt scraper in Emulation Station I get something like

<game>
		<path>./1943kai.zip</path>
		<name>1943: The Battle of Midway</name>
		<desc>The game is set in the Pacific theater of World War II, off the coast of the Midway Atoll. The goal is to attack the Japanese Air Fleet that bombed the players' American Aircraft Carrier, pursue all Japanese Air and Sea forces, fly through the 16 levels of play, make their way to the Japanese battleship Yamato and destroy her. 11 Levels consist of an Air-to-Sea battle (with a huge battleship or an aircraft carrier as an End-Level Boss), while 5 levels consist of an all-aerial battle against a squadron of Japanese Bombers and a Mother Bomber that needs to be destroyed.
As in 1942, players pilot a P-38. Two buttons are used: one for regular attacks (with several weapons) and one for special actions that executes either a loop like in 1942 or one of three special attacks that damage the plane. Unlike 1942, the player only has one life, with one refillable energy meter. Destroying a complete formation of red enemy planes will result in a power-up, such as a health boost or a temporary special weapons which replaces the default twin gun.</desc>
		<image>~/.emulationstation/downloaded_images/mame/1943kai-image.jpg</image>
		<rating>0.8</rating>
		<releasedate>19870601T000000</releasedate>
		<developer>Capcom</developer>
		<publisher>Capcom</publisher>
		<genre>Action</genre>
		<players>2</players>
	</game>
This has converted the filename to a valid name, as well as adding a description.
When I run your script I get an example output of

<game>
      <path>/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/nes/Advanced Dungeons & Dragons - Hillsfar (U) [!].nes</path>
      <name>Advanced Dungeons & Dragons - Hillsfar (U) [!]</name>
      <image>/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/nes/Advanced Dungeons & Dragons - Hillsfar (U) [!].png</image>
      <rating>0.000000</rating>
      <userrating>0.000000</userrating>
      <timesplayed>0</timesplayed>
      <lastplayed>0</lastplayed>
   </game>
For the name, this seems to omit the file extension from the filename, and there is no description at all?

Although the path structure for the rom and image differ, I guess this doesnt really matter as its still finding it ok.

Can you see why the description isnt pulled through? Is it something that should be brought though?

floob

Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:21 pm

Ok, I think I can see now that the script wont 'name' console titles, although it will with mame and fba really well.
And it isnt designed to bring in the description.

If it could be updated to bring in the same data as ES_Scraper it would be awesome.

cacophony555

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:50 am

Yeah, sorry. It was never really designed to pull in full metadata. More of a quick way of setting up what mattered most to me (images and a readable name). Getting descriptions would mean having to scrape external web services which is what ES-scraper attempts to do.

When I ran ES-scraper on my collection of ~10,000 roms it took days and a bunch of the metadata ended up being incorrect. For example I ended up with 5 entries for "Super Mario Bros 2" even though I only had one actual rom for that game. The other 4 had totally different names, but the webservice used incorrectly guessed they were "Super Mario Bros 2", and as a result they were now indistinguishable in Emulation Station. I could have probably spent another 2 days trying to fix all these issues but I decided it wasn't worth the time.

My script only populates name and image but it finishes in about 1 second, and there's no danger of it incorrectly naming games :D
If I had a much smaller rom collection I would use ES-scraper and manually scrape each one. But for a large collection it just doesn't seem practical.

floob

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:22 am

Your script is certainly fast.
I've put a guide for it together here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijag-o-bHy4

floob

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:25 am

Jessie wrote:
coffeebeanpi wrote:How to enabled shaders?

Love ES, struggling to get Shaders working though, several hours on google but still nothing clear on what needs to be done to enable shaders, I have edited the retroarch.cfg file to what I think should enabled shaders etc but nothing seems to work.

Any one have a step by step guide on how to enable shaders using ES 2.0 and retroarch? :?:
Have you read this thread?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... &start=400

No there isn't a guide yet. Its such a pain to get threm working most people give up.

In case it helps, there is a basic shaders guide here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAEiicKff-8

cacophony555

Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:14 pm

floob wrote:Your script is certainly fast.
I've put a guide for it together here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijag-o-bHy4
Nice guide, thanks for doing it!

Djiit

Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi there,

@DigitalLumberjack, do you plan to make a pull request to Aloshi's repo ?

That would be nice !

Return to “Gaming”