Jessie

Re: RELEASE: EmulationStation 2.0-RC1

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:03 pm

KitchUK wrote:
Jessie wrote:I staarted getting the garbled text bug from a couple posts up. I was wondering what the fix was and if I would have to re-scrap my whole library.
I assumed this was to do with the GPU memory? What's your current allocation to the GPU? The more systems you have displayed with take a chunk out of the GPU RAM.
I'm at 192. Will add more tonight and see if it helps.

KitchUK

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:15 pm

I set mine to 256 and that seemed to fix any problems.

dinki

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:22 pm

Me again. I'm still having trouble getting mame controls set up in Emulation Station. I loaded a game up in mame then hit tab and configured my buttons and it played well for that game. I rebooted the RPI and the settings I had set were not loaded.

Can someone tell me where the MAME config file is saved and what the file name might be? Should I have a retroarch.cfg file in the 'all' directory or should each emulator have it's own copy? I'm guessing that the 'mame' directory should not have a retroarch.cfg file?

shrapnel09

Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:03 pm

Alright so I just discovered this awesome creation! Just ordered a model B pi and should get it in a few days and really cant wait, I've been wanting an all-in-one streamlined console based OS for a long time but never new where to look/who to ask! With that said I have a few inquiries:

- Will I be able to rename the 'nice' ROM listing (e.g. "Super Mario Bros." > "1986-08) Super Mario Bros")? I will slowly be adding ROMs as I complete them and will be doing so in chronological order. Hopefully I will be able to scroll 'up' and jump to the last item on the list as it will be constantly accessing the bottom of the ROM list due to this order.

- I will be using a USB hub with several different controllers plugged in at the same time (Atari joystick, SNES, NES, etc.). How well will this work, any possible conflicts? I understand I can config each controller for each emulator so it shouldn't matter. I assume though I would need an attached keyboard if I would want to back out of an Atari game though, due to limited joystick functionality.

- I ordered a model B (not B+) due to it having composite, I will be playing on an older box TV for the 'retro feel'. However, I noticed on a video compatibility listing that composite has issues compared to HDMI? Last edits were last year so not sure how much has changed, can anyone confirm issues between composite and HDMI?

I had a few more questions but I'll hold off until I get my Pi to test things out first. Thank you everyone!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:00 pm

The model B+ also has video out through its A/V 3.5mm TRRS connector, but you do need a compatible A/V cable through.
Also, I'm not sure the distributed image is recent enough for a B+, it needs 1.3.8 or later, released 22/6/2014.

dinki

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:25 pm

dinki wrote:Me again. I'm still having trouble getting mame controls set up in Emulation Station. I loaded a game up in mame then hit tab and configured my buttons and it played well for that game. I rebooted the RPI and the settings I had set were not loaded.

Can someone tell me where the MAME config file is saved and what the file name might be? Should I have a retroarch.cfg file in the 'all' directory or should each emulator have it's own copy? I'm guessing that the 'mame' directory should not have a retroarch.cfg file?
In case someone is playing at home, the problem was I did not have permission to write to /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi/cfg/ . I changed permissions and suddenly my setting were being saved. I _know_ that I did not change the permissions on that directory.

shrapnel09

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:30 am

Thanks Mahjongg.

So I got the model B yesterday and started playing it, real excited! So I started to transfer ROMs via USB for now, figured out I could stick a blank thumb stick and it would auto-populate the ROM folders for me so I have a spot to put said ROMs, AND once I have a ROM loaded the applicable emulator would be added to the cool EmulationStation list! I just need to get rid of the three default emulators though (IBM, appleII, and ports).

QUESTIONS/CONCERNS:

1) What filtering options do I have available? I tried Sonic and the game looked like a pixelated train-wreck! I used both HDMI and RCA, while RCA looks a tiny bit better its still the horrid pixelated jagginess on a lower resolution. So what I can do to smooth things out to look identical to their original counterparts?

2) Controllers, I will have a main controller (X360) to flip through menus and select different emulators and I'll have a USB hub with several other original console controllers connected. I was a little confused how I would configure such a setup, suggestions?

I noticed it had a descending file name option which would resolve my earlier question about sorting file names. Thank you everyone for your love and support! :D

Jessie

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:33 am

Some emulators will allow you to apply scan line filters that make the games look more like their crt originals. It isn't easy and it will slow them down. If you used the RetroPie image then the gl shader scripts are in a folder somewhere. The games do look like the originals we just had distortions from the monitor technology and signaling technology back then. Getting an old CRT should (I should because I have yet to test them on an old CRT) make them look just as they did.

There are plenty of threads on here and petrockblog regaurding xbox controller configs if you don't find one by the time I sit at a PC tonight or tomorrow I will provide you a link or code snippet.

EDIT: I think the commands you are looking for are...

Code: Select all

sudo chown pi /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
cd /opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/installdir/bin
sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 1 >> /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

Cave-man

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:53 am

hi,
thx... fantastic project... works like a charm...
using it after little configuration with 2 xbox-controllers successfully...

a cool new feature would be an an option to delete not wanted roms directly from the menu... maybe as a new point after "edit metadata"...

shrapnel09

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:51 am

Thanks Jesse, Spaceballs very good!

I think I need to take a big step back and need to figure out some fundamentals here :P. Thanks for the input but I probably should do some research on how to even navigate through this retropie deal, linux commands and what not. I wouldn't even know where to go/what to type in terminal to search for a video config file.

Figured I would start with this and play around: http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... ommands.md

I'm willing to invest a lot of time and some funds if needed for this project as its a big deal for me, my only concern is that that the 512mb pi may not be technically capable of replicating SNES/GEN roms. If smoothing the horrible pixilated image could cause some reduced frame rates below 30fps then maybe this isn't right for me after all, not to mention my desire to play GBA games. I'll still try this out as I really would like this to work but I have relatively high standards for my personal emulation project, investing in original controllers for each system, playing on old CRT TVs, building a specific library of ROMs, etc.

I'll keep you updated, thanks again for your input thus far! :)

Jessie

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:00 am

shrapnel09 wrote:Thanks Jesse, Spaceballs very good!

I think I need to take a big step back and need to figure out some fundamentals here :P. Thanks for the input but I probably should do some research on how to even navigate through this retropie deal, linux commands and what not. I wouldn't even know where to go/what to type in terminal to search for a video config file.

Figured I would start with this and play around: http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... ommands.md

I'm willing to invest a lot of time and some funds if needed for this project as its a big deal for me, my only concern is that that the 512mb pi may not be technically capable of replicating SNES/GEN roms. If smoothing the horrible pixilated image could cause some reduced frame rates below 30fps then maybe this isn't right for me after all, not to mention my desire to play GBA games. I'll still try this out as I really would like this to work but I have relatively high standards for my personal emulation project, investing in original controllers for each system, playing on old CRT TVs, building a specific library of ROMs, etc.

I'll keep you updated, thanks again for your input thus far! :)
Don't be concerned about SNES (I have never tried MD/Genesis roms) They will run flawlessly. I play Legend of Zelda Link to the past regularly on my Pi. No slowdown at all, in-fact it doesn't even peg the CPU. PS1 is (I think) the upper limit for emulation on the Pi. Castlevania: SOTN runs great and only hits 85% CPU use with a 1Ghz overclock. I'm working on a guide for RetroPie but it isn't done. Don't be afraid to step into RetroPie and break stuff to learn. That is how we all learn. I have re-imaged a few times after ruining everything. If you just plain hit a brick wall there is no permanent damage you just re-image the SD card.

coffeebeanpi

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:20 pm

How to enabled shaders?

Love ES, struggling to get Shaders working though, several hours on google but still nothing clear on what needs to be done to enable shaders, I have edited the retroarch.cfg file to what I think should enabled shaders etc but nothing seems to work.

Any one have a step by step guide on how to enable shaders using ES 2.0 and retroarch? :?:

cacophony555

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:32 pm

shrapnel09 wrote: I'm willing to invest a lot of time and some funds if needed for this project as its a big deal for me, my only concern is that that the 512mb pi may not be technically capable of replicating SNES/GEN roms. If smoothing the horrible pixilated image could cause some reduced frame rates below 30fps then maybe this isn't right for me after all, not to mention my desire to play GBA games.
SNES emulation has been pretty disappointing on my 512MB pi. It's not the framerate that's the issue but the sound. Emulating accurate SNES sound is apparently very computationally expensive and there aren't any emulators for the pi that do it accurately. It's most noticeable for sound effects (wind noise, etc), and music sometimes sounds out of tune as well.

KitchUK

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:36 pm

Cacophony

Have you tried the pocketsnes repo called ARMSNES? It has a lot better sound emulation and other bug fixes and improvements. The only problem at the minute is that doesn't play some games like Killer Instinct and DK Country 2 among others. If the developer can fix those problems I'd say it's the best emulator on the pi.

cacophony555

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:03 pm

KitchUK wrote:Cacophony

Have you tried the pocketsnes repo called ARMSNES? It has a lot better sound emulation and other bug fixes and improvements. The only problem at the minute is that doesn't play some games like Killer Instinct and DK Country 2 among others. If the developer can fix those problems I'd say it's the best emulator on the pi.
Interesting. I tried the regular pocketsnes but not this:
https://github.com/rmaz/ARMSNES-libretro (is this the one you're referring to?)

Here's a test if you have Final Fantasy 3. In the intro to the game the music should sound like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_EDnDJvlw8&t=90
and the wind noise should sound like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_EDnDJvlw8&t=120

For the versions I tried before the music either sounded out of tune or the wind noise sounded like bees.

KitchUK

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:26 pm

Yeah that's the one!

The music is not a perfect emulation but to my ears it sounds a lot better than regular pockestsnes. It almost sounds like there is more instruments being played and more depth and bass.

Jessie

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:29 pm

coffeebeanpi wrote:How to enabled shaders?

Love ES, struggling to get Shaders working though, several hours on google but still nothing clear on what needs to be done to enable shaders, I have edited the retroarch.cfg file to what I think should enabled shaders etc but nothing seems to work.

Any one have a step by step guide on how to enable shaders using ES 2.0 and retroarch? :?:
Have you read this thread?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... &start=400

No there isn't a guide yet. Its such a pain to get threm working most people give up.

lxx33

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi,

Love this system. I don't want ports, ibm and apple2 to show in the main screen.
But i don't want to delete those games. Changing the es_system.cfg an place # before the items dont work.
I read about xml, but don't know where that is listed. What should i do to make Apple2, IBM ect.ect. not visible.

Please advice.

Jessie

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:20 pm

All you need to do with ES 2.0 is go into their roms folder and delete all the files then you may have to reboot but I don't recall. Looks like I also removed the folders of those two on my ES 2 install. But in any case that is what worked for me. The roms folder is either /home/pi/RetroPie/roms or /home/RetroPie/roms I don't recall whitch.

shrapnel09

Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:22 am

Thanks for your input thus far!

Sound inaccuracies eh? I suppose I can only hope that its not too noticeable and SNES compatibility will increase over time, if the project remains popular enough to support of course. I haven't even had a chance to test the pi out all this week but should be able to this weekend...

There is still a lot to learn, like how to change emulators to find the most accurate one. I know if I put ROMs in a folder ill be able to play them but how would I know what exactly is playing them, etc. I'll just need to keep playing with basic commands to feel my way through.

Thanks!

Jessie

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:17 am

Anyone else having issues with the scraper crashing ES? I can get one database to run and the other selectable database crashes.

shrapnel09

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Sorry Jessie, haven't had a chance to play with the scrapper yet. Just starting get barely getting familiar with it myself still. Just redid image and now using ssh for updates so starting to get more familiar at least.

But let me take a minute to update what I could use help with:

Audio/Video
Issue: Video looks like an over pixelated mess even on CRT, needs to be smoothed out to actually look like how they did on their original console counter parts. Audio issues were obvious in Super Mario World, doing a spin jump on grabbing an item sounded like half the effect was playing, I heard this same effect before on other emulators not on the Pi.

I seen links for es_config editing (viewtopic.php?f=78&t=6750&start=400) but I not sure what to do with all the info being thrown at me there. Also seen items about adjusting audio rate to '44100' but not sure how I would go about doing so.

A simple guide explaining what file does what and where to access it would be extremely helpful for someone in my situation :D

Retro Controllers
To keep it simple I just drew a little sketch of what I am trying to accomplish: http://imgur.com/LhS3GdH. Is this even possible? Would I be able to have all controllers plugged in at once and simply grab the one I want when ready to play? Here is an example of one of the USB adapters I have: http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Genesis ... SB+ADAPTER

Any help here would be great and sorry if I am being a little too needy right now! :P

Thank you!

shrapnel09

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:23 pm

UPDATE: okay I ran binary setup and can see the obvious ES_config in the setup menu.

Jessie

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:52 pm

Editing your ES config file shouldn't affect the emulaors only the ES front end. If you are playing snes through Retroarch then the settings will be in the retroarch.cfg and retroarch-core-options.cfg. I will fire up a fresh install tonight and see if I get the same audio issues.

I am configuring a R Pi for use with an old CRT but don't actually have access to the CRT until next weekend to see what you are all talking about. On my LED/LCD the pixels are massive but I figure that is par for the course and to me it looks retro-sexy. The odd thing that I get on my set is some sloppy decombing filter and I don't know if its the Pi or the TV. After I get time to spend with a CRT I will get back with everyone. There may be some kind of filter the Pi uses to make text more viewable over composite video so I will investigate further.

KitchUK

Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Jessie wrote:Editing your ES config file shouldn't affect the emulaors only the ES front end. If you are playing snes through Retroarch then the settings will be in the retroarch.cfg and retroarch-core-options.cfg. I will fire up a fresh install tonight and see if I get the same audio issues.

I am configuring a R Pi for use with an old CRT but don't actually have access to the CRT until next weekend to see what you are all talking about. On my LED/LCD the pixels are massive but I figure that is par for the course and to me it looks retro-sexy. The odd thing that I get on my set is some sloppy decombing filter and I don't know if its the Pi or the TV. After I get time to spend with a CRT I will get back with everyone. There may be some kind of filter the Pi uses to make text more viewable over composite video so I will investigate further.
Let us know how the CRT works out! I was thinking of buying one (for like £20) and using with the Pi for all the retro games. Out of interest, how will you be connecting the pi to the TV, Composite cables?

Return to “Gaming”