dem1980

Re: RELEASE: EmulationStation 2.0-RC1

Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:30 am

Aloshi wrote:
dem1980 wrote:It would be nice to be able to disable a system in es_system.cfg.
Use an XML comment, like so:

Code: Select all

<!--
<system>
   <name></name>
   <path></path>
   ...etc...
</system>
-->
KitchUK wrote:You can disable a system by placing a # before the selected system entires.
Now you have to use XML comments, since es_systems.cfg is in XML. :)
Thank you, i'm using this tip

cacophony555

Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:10 am

I spent some time today building this new version for my Pi and trying to get it configured (I used the "Installing on Raspberry Pi (Stand-alone)" section) . There are lots of impressive improvements and overall I'm extremely impressed with how far this project has come! Nice work!!! :D

I did have a few issues, observations, and suggestions.

1. For the default theme it wasn't entirely obvious to me that I needed to download it separately and dump it in a new .emulationstation/themes directory. It had me puzzled for a moment but I figured it out.

2. Many of my systems don't correctly launch games and I can't figure out why. For example, NES launching doesn't work. But my almost identical configuration for SNES does work. I don't see any errors on the screen when I try to launch a NES game. Instead I just get a black screen followed by a line of "===================================" and then it dumps me back to Emulation Station.

Here's some of my es_systems.cfg:

<system>
                <name>nes</name>
                <fullname>Nintendo Entertainment System</fullname>
                <path>/home/pi/roms/nes/</path>
                <extension>.nes .NES</extension>
                <command>/home/pi/launch/launchNes.sh %ROM%</command>
                <platform>nes</platform>
                <theme>nes</theme>
        </system>
        <system>
                <name>snes</name>
                <fullname>Super Nintendo</fullname>
                <path>/home/pi/roms/snes/</path>
                <extension>.smc .sfc .fig .swc .SMC .SFC .FIG .SWC</extension>
                <command>/home/pi/launch/launchSnes.sh %ROM%</command>
                <platform>snes</platform>
                <theme>snes</theme>
        </system>
And here are the contents of launchNes.sh and launchSnes.sh :

[email protected] ~/launch $ more launchNes.sh launchSnes.sh
::::::::::::::
launchNes.sh
tvservice -e "CEA 1"
fbset -xres 640 -yres 480 -vxres 640 -vyres 480
sleep 1
sync
nice -n -10 /home/pi/RetroArch/retroarch -L /home/pi/retroarch_cores/fceumm_libretro.so --config /home/pi/retroarch_core/config/retroarch.cfg --appendconfig /home/pi/retroarch_cores/config/nes.cfg "$1"
tvservice -e "CEA 4"
sleep 1
fbset -xres 1280 -yres 720 -vxres 1280 -vyres 720
clear

launchSnes.sh
tvservice -e "CEA 1"
fbset -xres 640 -yres 480 -vxres 640 -vyres 480
sleep 1
sync
nice -n -10 /home/pi/snes_2p/snes9x "$1"
tvservice -e "CEA 4"
sleep 1
fbset -xres 1280 -yres 720 -vxres 1280 -vyres 720
clear
They're both executable files and doing this from the command line does correctly launch Zelda:

/home/pi/RetroArch/retroarch -L /home/pi/retroarch_cores/fceumm_libretro.so --config /home/pi/retroarch_cores/config/retroarch.cfg --appendconfig /home/pi/retroarch_cores/config/nes.cfg /home/pi/roms/nes/Legend\ of\ Zelda,\ The\ \(U\)\ \(PRG1\)\ \[!\].nes
NES launching worked fine using this script in the previous Emulation Station, so I'm not sure what's going on or how to diagnose further. Are the extra parameters in the NES launch somehow throwing things off? That's the only difference I see between the NES and SNES configurations. Edit: Looking at this some more, the emulators that are working for me (SNES, fba, mame) all have zero added parameters passed on launch (eg. /home/pi/fba/fba %ROM%). And all the ones that fail to work have the added parameters (eg. /home/pi/RetroArch/retroarch -L /home/pi/retroarch_cores/fceumm_libretro.so --config /home/pi/retroarch_cores/config/retroarch.cfg --appendconfig /home/pi/retroarch_cores/config/nes.cfg %ROM%). All my non-working examples are retroarch so I guess it could either be the parameters or something about retroarch itself. Not sure what to do here...

3. Is there still a way to quick jump to a certain letter in a list of roms? I have thousands of roms so it gets tedious to scroll through every page.

4. I'm very impressed with the scraping integration. One suggestion though would be to allow a resume of scraping at a certain point. When trying to scrape for thousands of roms it's natural to want to take some breaks, but I don't see a way to restart where I left off. It seems you can only either scrape for an entire system starting at the beginning or scrape a specific game individually. Also, having the "skip" option be a dedicated controller button would be very useful as I seemed to want that option a lot, and it often required me to scroll past a number of other options to get to it.

5. Resuming Emulation Station after exiting a game is significantly slower than the old version (at ~8 seconds) . Also starting and quitting Emulation Station each take about 1 minute. I'm pretty sure this is related to having lots of roms (I have about 5 thousand total), so you may not have seen it in your testing. I took a very quick look at the source code and it looks as if you're preloading stuff for every single rom to improve navigation speed. Any ideas for improving this? Maybe allow this optimization to be disabled for those with lots of roms?

Thanks for all your hard work! I'm already liking this new version a lot and I haven't even gotten it fully working yet.
Last edited by cacophony555 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

andreatax

Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:56 pm

I dont know why but pressing 0 button, i.e. triangle on ps2 controller, emulators quit.
Also the load/save buttons doesnt work…

system_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/../BIOS
config_save_on_exit = false
video_aspect_ratio = 1.33
video_smooth = false
video_threaded = true
input_enable_hotkey = escape
rewind_enable = false
rewind_buffer_size = 10
rewind_granularity = 2
input_rewind = r
video_gpu_screenshot = true
input_shader_next = m
input_shader_prev = n
video_shader_dir = /opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/shader/
input_player1_a = x
input_player1_b = z
input_player1_y = a
input_player1_x = s
input_player1_start = enter
input_player1_select = rshift
input_player1_l = q
input_player1_r = w
input_player1_left = left
input_player1_right = right
input_player1_up = up
input_player1_down = down
input_autodetect_enable = true
joypad_autoconfig_dir = /opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/configs/
input_player1_b_btn = "2"
input_player1_y_btn = "3"
input_player1_select_btn = "8"
input_player1_start_btn = "9"
input_player1_up_axis = "-1"
input_player1_down_axis = "+1"
input_player1_left_axis = "-0"
input_player1_right_axis = "+0"
input_player1_a_btn = "1"
input_player1_x_btn = "0"
input_player1_l_btn = "6"
input_player1_r_btn = "7"
input_player1_l2_btn = "4"
input_player1_r2_btn = "5"
input_player1_l3_btn = "11"
input_player1_r3_btn = "10"
input_player1_l_x_plus_btn = "h0up"
input_player1_l_x_minus_btn = "h0down"
input_player1_l_y_plus_btn = "h0right"
input_player1_l_y_minus_btn = "h0left"
input_player1_r_x_plus_btn = "+2"
input_player1_r_x_minus_btn = "-2"
input_player1_r_y_plus_axis = "+3"
input_player1_r_y_minus_axis = "-3"
input_enable_hotkey_btn = “8″
input_exit_emulator_btn = “9″
input_save_state_btn = “11″
input_load_state_btn = “10″

timxyz

Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:06 pm

just a thought but maybe you should check the quote marks in these lines:

visually, they are different from others which might be an artifact of copying them through some other source

cacophony555

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:07 am

cacophony555 wrote: 2. Many of my systems don't correctly launch games and I can't figure out why. For example, NES launching doesn't work. But my almost identical configuration for SNES does work. I don't see any errors on the screen when I try to launch a NES game. Instead I just get a black screen followed by a line of "===================================" and then it dumps me back to Emulation Station.

<clip>
I've made some progress figuring this out. I redirected the console and error output to a file as part of the nes launch command and got this:

Frontend supports RGB565 - will use that instead of XRGB1555.
RetroArch [WARN] :: [GL]: Stock GLSL shaders will be used.
RetroArch [ERROR] :: Cannot init input driver. Exiting ...
RetroArch [ERROR] :: Fatal error received in: "init_video_input()"

Interestingly, I only get this error when I try to launch from within Emulation Station. If I launch manually from the command line using the exact same command it works fine. I verified through other debugging output that Emulation Station is passing the expected filename to my script. So there's something with running within the Emulation Station environment that introduces this issue. Anyone know how to explain this? If it matters my retroarch setup was done according to this tutorial and l did a bunch of the suggested optimizations:
http://direct.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi ... 78&t=56070

I found my error mentioned in this thread with a possible fix, and I hope to try this soon:
http://direct.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi ... 65#p538965

dudleydes

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:32 pm

First, thanks for an excellent upgrade of ES.

The one feature I seem to be missing from the previous version of ES is restarting ES which is useful for testing roms. In the previous version, I could simply select Reload from ES UI and the new roms would appear in the games list.

In version 2, the only options I'm finding are to restart the system (reboot) which takes longer than the previous Reload option or exiting ES and then restarting it from the command line. I would ideally like to use ES without a keyboard so I'm wondering if it would be possible to add Restart ES in the Quit section of the ES menu. Thanks.

andreatax

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:13 pm

timxyz wrote:just a thought but maybe you should check the quote marks in these lines:

visually, they are different from others which might be an artifact of copying them through some other source
You've got it! It was a formatting problem! thank you so much...

Another problem : After I exit from a rom I've got a black screen and nothing happens.
How to return to Emulation Station without resetting RPI?

cacophony555

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:50 pm

andreatax wrote: Another problem : After I exit from a rom I've got a black screen and nothing happens.
How long have you waited? I get a black screen for around 10 seconds after exiting a ROM, but Emulation Station returns after that.

KitchUK

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:50 am

Does anyone else get any ALSA 7339 underun error messages when using the 2.2 RetroPie image? I get getting a message on the CLI but I'm not sure if it's due to ES. It's doesn't appear to effect any roms, (I think) but I want to know what's causing it.

Btw I dont hear any sounds while in ES. Am I supposed to?

cacophony555

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:29 am

cacophony555 wrote:
cacophony555 wrote: 2. Many of my systems don't correctly launch games and I can't figure out why. For example, NES launching doesn't work. But my almost identical configuration for SNES does work. I don't see any errors on the screen when I try to launch a NES game. Instead I just get a black screen followed by a line of "===================================" and then it dumps me back to Emulation Station.

<clip>
I've made some progress figuring this out. I redirected the console and error output to a file as part of the nes launch command and got this:

Frontend supports RGB565 - will use that instead of XRGB1555.

Interestingly, I only get this error when I try to launch from within Emulation Station. If I launch manually from the command line using the exact same command it works fine. I verified through other debugging output that Emulation Station is passing the expected filename to my script. So there's something with running within the Emulation Station environment that introduces this issue. Anyone know how to explain this? If it matters my retroarch setup was done according to this tutorial and l did a bunch of the suggested optimizations:
http://direct.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi ... 78&t=56070

I found my error mentioned in this thread with a possible fix, and I hope to try this soon:
http://direct.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi ... 65#p538965
So I did the suggested solution and can now launch retroarch games from Emulation Station. But the directional controls on my gamepad no longer work! sigh...They register fine (and as expected) via jstest, but something about enabling "udev" input in retroarch caused an issue.

Pyteo

Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:56 am

Congrats on release 2.0, it's awesome.

I have only one problem that I can't fix. I looked everywhere but I could only find the solution for Raspberry Pi and I'm using Ubuntu.

What do I have to do to be able to close the emulator and return to Emulationstation via control pad input?
Is there a specific code line I need to add in the input file?

Thanks in advance ;)

andreatax

Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:47 am

cacophony555 wrote:
andreatax wrote: Another problem : After I exit from a rom I've got a black screen and nothing happens.
How long have you waited? I get a black screen for around 10 seconds after exiting a ROM, but Emulation Station returns after that.
It's not a problem of time because if I press start, when the black screen comes out, I see the main menù with settings...

Midirockgod

Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:54 pm

KitchUK wrote:Hi Alec,

Below are some examples of the jagged text I was talking about. As you can see some of the text is fine while other parts has a jagged uneven look to it. I've checked the ES log and I cannot see any kind of errors or anything out of the ordinary. I've also tried checking various DMT and CEA modes and resolutions and still get this problem. I also checked with 480p output and it still occurs. Very strange!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsfmq7bnr6fhg ... .11.41.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6lyb1ptltpca ... .11.49.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7edn1eo730o7 ... .12.03.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rv3g6ntbcf0bn ... .12.12.jpg

Does anyone else get this while using the default RetroPie distro (with default settings)?

P.S I also noticed that the bottom entry of a game system list seems to have some of the text cut off (you can also see more jaggy text). See example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ml4seddk3nq63 ... .41.50.jpg

KitchUK,

I'm also experiencing this issue. Currently I am running ES v2. I tried the default settings, and I also changed the memory split to 64, 128, and 256 respectively to try and correct this. Additionally, I am experiencing issues with the fonts in ES. A great deal of the text is not being recognized, and is displaying as gray blocks. I've attached a photo. Hope this helps.
Attachments
photo (2).JPG
photo (2).JPG (37.65 KiB) Viewed 6477 times

Midirockgod

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:33 pm

So, I ran the ES-Scraper. It seemed to work just fine (aside from some font issues), but a few hours later I turned on my pi to finish scraping, and now Emulation Station fails to load. It starts to come up, but then gets stuck between the load screen and system select screen. It just flickers the logo, and all control in the front end is lost. I can hot-key out from a keyboard. I'm kind of at a loss...it worked earlier, not it doesn't............ any help would greatly be appreciated.

dinki

Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:43 am

I've got things working great with one exception. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to map a joystick button to the 'insert coin' buttons for MAME in my retroarch.cfg file. Can some kind person tell me how to do this? I've searched for what feels like days and I can't find it.

KitchUK

Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:39 am

If you are using Mame4all-pi then it doesn't use a retroarch config file. Press the TAB button on your keyboard to open up the menu and you can configure the coin button.

dinki

Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:57 pm

@KitchUK, I'm using whatever the default emulator is for Mame in ES.

Aloshi

Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:24 pm

Pyteo wrote:Congrats on release 2.0, it's awesome.

I have only one problem that I can't fix. I looked everywhere but I could only find the solution for Raspberry Pi and I'm using Ubuntu.

What do I have to do to be able to close the emulator and return to Emulationstation via control pad input?
Is there a specific code line I need to add in the input file?
This depends on your emulator - ES does not close the emulator for you.
cacophony555 wrote:2. Many of my systems don't correctly launch games and I can't figure out why.
[snip]
Hm, you can try passing the ROM argument as "%ROM_RAW%" (which provides the full path to the ROM with special characters not escaped) and see if that helps.
cacophony555 wrote:3. Is there still a way to quick jump to a certain letter in a list of roms? I have thousands of roms so it gets tedious to scroll through every page.
I am aware of this. The fast select feature will be making a return.
cacophony555 wrote:4. I'm very impressed with the scraping integration. One suggestion though would be to allow a resume of scraping at a certain point.
Actually, if you choose "STOP" it will save all your progress up to that point. Just scrape again with the "Missing Images" filter (default) and it should pick up from where it left off.
cacophony555 wrote: 5. Resuming Emulation Station after exiting a game is significantly slower than the old version (at ~8 seconds) . Also starting and quitting Emulation Station each take about 1 minute. I'm pretty sure this is related to having lots of roms (I have about 5 thousand total), so you may not have seen it in your testing. I took a very quick look at the source code and it looks as if you're preloading stuff for every single rom to improve navigation speed?
This is correct. The original structure for ES still hasn't been updated, so it is still a naive "load all metadata strings from the gamelist.xml and keep them in memory," which doesn't scale at all with big game sets. I plan to rewrite this to use a database (with SQLite) in the future.
cacophony555 wrote: Frontend supports RGB565 - will use that instead of XRGB1555.
Did you make sure to update your firmware before you installed RetroArch? I remember Nils reporting this issue, and it disappeared after we installed everything from scratch again. I think it was the firmware that caused it.
Midirockgod wrote:So, I ran the ES-Scraper. It seemed to work just fine (aside from some font issues), but a few hours later I turned on my pi to finish scraping, and now Emulation Station fails to load. It starts to come up, but then gets stuck between the load screen and system select screen.
Do you have at least 256mb of RAM allocated to the GPU (in /boot/config.txt)?

Mr.Dave

Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:55 pm

So I got everything up and running, mapped a generic USB controller using the main settings menu, but it doesn't work in game, only keyboard works

What am I missing?

I only see N64, PS3 and XB360 controller instructions on the wiki, nothing for generic USB controllers

cacophony555

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:52 am

Aloshi wrote:
cacophony555 wrote: Frontend supports RGB565 - will use that instead of XRGB1555.
Did you make sure to update your firmware before you installed RetroArch? I remember Nils reporting this issue, and it disappeared after we installed everything from scratch again. I think it was the firmware that caused it.
I did do the rpi-update part of your instructions, but I already had a pre-existing retroarch, so that wasn't touched till I attempted to rebuild it with the udev option. So maybe just rebuilding retroarch post the rpi-update was what fixed the launch issue? (and I didn't need to mess with the udev input option that presumably was the reason the dpad control stopped working)

bloodroses75

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:49 pm

Hello. First of all, I'd like to say great work on EmulationStation. I have been trying quite a few different ones for my x86 HTPC at home, and so far this is the only one that matches the features I'm looking for without being a royal pain to configure, lacking proper scraping features, or not being portable at all. With that said, I would like to mention a few bugs I've ran into so far with version 2.0.0-rc1.
The first one I've noticed right away is that the CPU usage seems quite high for what it's designed to do. I am currently running an i5 Haswell k series CPU and one of the cores is constantly pegged at 100% while it's running. The operating system is Windows 8.1 64-bit.
The other issue I've ran into is that iso/romsets that are stored in individual subfolders do not seem to load up the cover or details from the game lists file at all (segacd, psx, pcengine tested so far). I would attach a screenshot of the behavior, but 'print screen' does not work in EmulationStation. Basically; the rating, released, etc fields show up, but no information from the game list. Here is an example from my gamelists file for psx to see the directory structure I'm using:
<game>
<path>./Road Rash/Road Rash [SLUS-00035].cue</path>
<name>Road Rash</name>
<desc>Electronic Arts' motorcycle racing series...</desc>
<image>~/.emulationstation/downloaded_images/psx/Road Rash [SLUS-00035]-image.jpg</image>
<releasedate>19951229T000000</releasedate>
<developer>Electronic Arts</developer>
<publisher>Electronic Arts</publisher>
<genre>Action</genre>
<players>2</players>
</game>

JakeTheGreat

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:24 pm

Hello everyone, I have a problem trying to run ROMS in Emulation Station. Every time i try to run a ROM it comes up with this error message:

Performance
Running on HDMI with explicit settings (CEA mode 1)
RetroArch [ERROR] :: Couldn't find any audio driver named "ext"
Available Audio Drivers are:
RetroArch [ERROR] :: fatal error received in: "find_audio_driver()"
Running on HDMI with preferred settings
___and*
*i Don't know what the beginning of this word is because the edges of my screen are cut off.
I don't know where to go from here, so could someone please help me? Thanks, Jake :D
Last edited by JakeTheGreat on Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Jake
(I'm a beginner)

Kagedmonkey40

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:47 am

Ok, totally bummed here. :(

I had this all working great on my RPi retrogame system where I was using a program called retrogame (from adafruit) that allowed me to use the GPIO pins directly wired to simulate keyboard inputs. With this update it no longer works.

I had to reformat my card and now I do not have the older versions. Can this be fixed or a link to the old emulationstation be posted please.

johnes

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:35 pm

Running ES 2.0rc1 from the retropie image...
I have a bunch of emulators, however, 3 of them have white screens and the menu does not load if I have hdmi_mode/group set to 10080p, 720p. If I set it down to somethign less than that, they load, but then I cannot get ES to be full screen.

Is there anyway to fix this? Raspberry Pi B, 256 memory split.

If I set memory largr than that, it doesn't load, if I set it less, I get just a white screen.

Aloshi

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:41 pm

bloodroses75 wrote:The first one I've noticed right away is that the CPU usage seems quite high for what it's designed to do. I am currently running an i5 Haswell k series CPU and one of the cores is constantly pegged at 100% while it's running. The operating system is Windows 8.1 64-bit.
I'm aware of this. I just never put a frame limiter on it - if you turn on the "Draw Framerate" option you will probably see it is drawing well above 60 FPS. I'll add one eventually. You could try forcing v-sync if your graphics card driver supports it.
bloodroses75 wrote:The other issue I've ran into is that iso/romsets that are stored in individual subfolders do not seem to load up the cover or details from the game lists file at all (segacd, psx, pcengine tested so far). I would attach a screenshot of the behavior, but 'print screen' does not work in EmulationStation. Basically; the rating, released, etc fields show up, but no information from the game list.
This is happening because ES sees those games as inside a subdirectory, so it places the (single) game inside a folder. Folders have their own metadata, so nothing shows up until you go "inside" the folder and see the "actual" game. I haven't come up with a good solution for this yet (this is common depending on the platform, for example ScummVM games are always inside their own folder).
JakeTheGreat wrote:Hello everyone, I have a problem trying to run ROMS in Emulation Station. Every time i try to run a ROM it comes up with this error message:
[snip]
This is an emulator issue, not an EmulationStation issue. Try posting on the RetroPie forum.
Kagedmonkey40 wrote:I had this all working great on my RPi retrogame system where I was using a program called retrogame (from adafruit) that allowed me to use the GPIO pins directly wired to simulate keyboard inputs. With this update it no longer works.
See this issue. It's an SDL2 problem. You can apply the patch mentioned in the issue and recompile SDL2 yourself, or wait for an official fix.
johnes wrote:I have a bunch of emulators, however, 3 of them have white screens and the menu does not load if I have hdmi_mode/group set to 10080p, 720p. If I set it down to somethign less than that, they load, but then I cannot get ES to be full screen.
This is *probably* a memory issue. The fix is for ES to add some sort of manual texture caching instead of keeping everything in memory all the time. You'll have to wait for a fix. In the mean time you might be able to check your TV settings for a "stretch to full screen" option somewhere.

Return to “Gaming”