BattleGear

Re: A MineCraft Server Image - MineCraftPi

Thu May 01, 2014 12:05 am

no im running only the server^^ on a other sd card i have the other stuff like ultraslim etc

Rionoskae

Thu May 01, 2014 12:14 am

BattleGear wrote:no im running only the server^^ on a other sd card i have the other stuff like ultraslim etc
Ahh... That makes more sense :)

Well the initial testing looks positive. The new image ramps up overclocking a bit and uses the smaller Raspbian Server Image (2.5). There are a few possible reasons why - but to summarize:

*MineCraftPi - 2.0 autostarts on boot (no need for ssh)
*Ran Rpi-update
*Running Raspbian Server Edition
*JDK 1.8.0
*Default Overclocked ( meduim > Turbo = made a big difference! )
*Lowered view distance ( 5 > 4 )

Again, In the process of uploading MineCraftPi 2.0 - Will post here when done.

~Cheers
Rionoskae

BattleGear

Thu May 01, 2014 12:25 am

thats nice!!! will test it later.

Rionoskae

Thu May 01, 2014 12:08 pm

BattleGear wrote:thats nice!!! will test it later.
Uploading Version 2.0 now. Should be available in an hour or 2 via the original link. I also added some additional information regarding version 2.0 & rasbperry Pi in general when running MineCraftPi to the original post.

~Cheers
Rionoskae

Ja$on

Thu May 01, 2014 2:20 pm

i have a server running on my laptop. would i be able to transfer all of my server worlds and plugins from my laptop to this if i switched? and could i run hamachi in the background? i cant portforward because our internet provider cant do it for some reason :cry: would it run better than my laptop? i would love to get the server off my laptop and make this thing almost a 24/7 server without losing my worlds.

Ja$on

Thu May 01, 2014 2:22 pm

or would it work better to just transfer everything to my pi after loading java onto it and loading up a version of hamachi?

Rionoskae

Thu May 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Ja$on wrote:i have a server running on my laptop. would i be able to transfer all of my server worlds and plugins from my laptop to this if i switched? and could i run hamachi in the background? i cant portforward because our internet provider cant do it for some reason :cry: would it run better than my laptop? i would love to get the server off my laptop and make this thing almost a 24/7 server without losing my worlds.
You could in theory copy over your config files ( i believe, bit out of my realm ) to the Pi. I wouldn't recommend running any additional software if it is not absolutely necessary on the MineCraftPi, dont' forget we are pushing the very limits of what is possible on the Pi by having our MineCraft Server run off this hardware. What exactly do you want with Hamachi and the MineCraft?

As far as running it as a 24/7 server - Shouldn't be a problem at all, as long as you are content only hosting 4-5 players. Any more than that and performance drops off sharply. Simply a limitation of the hardware, That's all.

~Cheers
Rionoskae

Ja$on

Thu May 01, 2014 2:50 pm

i am running quite a few plugins on my current server at the moment. hamachi is a way of hosting minecraft servers so that you dont have to portforward so it is the only way i can do it. right now i have 3 people on my server i am probably getting another person and i am trying to get my friend to join. i will probably get more than 5 eventually.

Ja$on

Thu May 01, 2014 2:51 pm

so would it be better to just copy my server files to the pi and run my current server from there without a special image?

Rionoskae

Thu May 01, 2014 3:01 pm

Ja$on wrote:so would it be better to just copy my server files to the pi and run my current server from there without a special image?
Hmmm.. Well honestly if you plan on hosting more than 5 people - This Image probably isn't for you. Especially if you require special software like Hamachi and you wish to have a ton of plugins.

Are you sure you need hamachi though? I've never heard of a internet provider blocking your ability to port forward.... It should be done on your end via your router. See this topic here for more details: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/136 ... orwarding/

Lastly, i give a quick run down on how to setup port forwarding & test it at the end of my guide Here...
http://everyday-tech.com/minecraftpi-a- ... ver-image/

I think it's worth taking another look at.

Rionoskae

Thu May 01, 2014 4:39 pm

Just to keep everyone Updated...

Version 2.0 is now available, details can be found in the original post.

I'm Still working out optimization options for future releases, but would love to get some feedback on 2.0!

For Example:
  • Changing our script start settings to something like = -Xms384M -Xmx408M
    Disabling nether
Quick Note: If you are using version 2, make sure to read the all my notes in post 1 of this thread!

Robbi373

Thu May 01, 2014 4:49 pm

I wanted to try this, but the .img of v2 is 14,8 Gb big, and I have only a 8 Gb sd-card :|

Rionoskae

Thu May 01, 2014 4:51 pm

Hmmm did I really do that? Blaarg I'll fix it soon.

Ja$on

Thu May 01, 2014 5:21 pm

i have tried to portforward a raspberry pi server before and it didnt work so now i use my laptop and hamachi because portforwarding wont work for me.

Ja$on

Thu May 01, 2014 5:23 pm

i went into the router and did portforwarding plus made a static ip address and people couldnt connect. i reportforwarded as well but nothing so i gave up.

BattleGear

Fri May 02, 2014 12:44 am

tested now over a copple of hours the version 2.0 und must say it runs nearly perfect!!!
thats a very nice build. thank you very much for all your work Rionoskae to make this project^^

Rionoskae

Fri May 02, 2014 1:10 am

BattleGear wrote:tested now over a copple of hours the version 2.0 und must say it runs nearly perfect!!!
thats a very nice build. thank you very much for all your work Rionoskae to make this project^^
That is a relief :D - Still working on a few small revisions to try and reduce overclock to 900/950mhz. Hopefully will be able to post a smaller & more optimized image this evening still.

Rionoskae

Fri May 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Update:
Version v2.1 is available now. With this version I just wanted to get a working base image for people that runs well "out of the box"

You can connect to My Raspberry Pi Server to test @ 173.89.44.120:25565

Version 2.2 will tackle further performance tweaks, specifically bench-testing jdk 9 vs 8, trying world-border to reduce the size of the world map a bit & misc other tweaks as they come to me.

~Cheers
Rionoskae

Rionoskae

Fri May 02, 2014 10:59 pm

So JDK 1.9.0 vs 1.8.0 = winner jdk 1.8.0

I also finally had time to play around with some of the plugins recommended HERE and I'm seriously considering setting up world-border in the default image. It reduced CPU usage 15-20% & dramatically increased spawn time after running the border fill command.... ( albiet it was a small test border ) Testers & Experts wanted!

Anyone with more experience want to chime in here an offer up their opinion on this?Particularly on Border Size... I don't want to make it too big that the pie can't handle it...but I don't want to make it feel super small either...

Any other plugins I'm missing?

-Rionoskae

-------------------------------------------------------

Update:

I'm compiling version 2.2 with worldborder set to 2000. This allows the server to pre-render the world and reduces CPU usage 10% on average. It should be noted as well that most users typically don't wander off beyond a1000 block range from the spawning point, and with a soft cap of 5 users...resources and space shouldn't be in short supply.

If you aren't content with the border limitations and wish to expand it using the worldborder "set" & "fill" command. ( see the world border plugin page for details ). Expect it to take several hours to run! (took me the better half of a day to fill a 2k block border!)

2.2 should be better than ever!

Danosaur

Tue May 06, 2014 10:44 pm

Thank you for this.
I have been trying to create server on a Raspberry Pi to try and keep my daughter happy.
I have high hopes for this, will keep you posted how I get on.
My last effort didn't last more than a couple of minutes before crashing so it is already a massive improvement.

Rionoskae

Wed May 07, 2014 12:12 am

Danosaur wrote:Thank you for this.
I have been trying to create server on a Raspberry Pi to try and keep my daughter happy.
I have high hopes for this, will keep you posted how I get on.
My last effort didn't last more than a couple of minutes before crashing so it is already a massive improvement.
Please do keep me posted! Hope you and your daughter enjoy :D

Danosaur

Wed May 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Again, you have really helped me in my project ( seeming you have actually done it all for me ). Thanks for that.
I have give it a bit of a work-out and it did crash at one point. I am thinking it may be more down to the RP so I have ordered heat-sinks for it.
I have logged in and out of the server for the last 24 hours and it is still running well.
Thank you for your efforts, she will be be very happy if I can get her and a couple of friends playing together.

BattleGear

Thu May 08, 2014 6:07 am

starting now to test 2.2 ;-)

kevans67

Fri May 09, 2014 5:37 pm

I downloaded this, confirmed that it boots, and plan to try it out with my 2 nephews over the weekend. It it works out, then the whole rig may go home with them as part of a birthday present. I'll post next week unless something unexpected happens and I don't get a chance to try it out.

Rionoskae

Fri May 09, 2014 6:27 pm

BattleGear wrote:starting now to test 2.2 ;-)
kevans67 wrote:I downloaded this, confirmed that it boots, and plan to try it out with my 2 nephews over the weekend. It it works out, then the whole rig may go home with them as part of a birthday present. I'll post next week unless something unexpected happens and I don't get a chance to try it out.
Thanks for checking out the latest version. I eagerly await the results :)

Return to “Gaming”