Rionoskae

Re: A MineCraft Server Image - MineCraftPi

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:06 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply - It's comments like yours that keep me doing these projects :) It's curious how some people have problems with OC crashing the system and others do not, I'd like to think it's got to be related to the SD card....all other specs being the same.

Setting up external access to the Pi MineCraft server is covered in my project page linked in the original post - Let me know if you have any questions setting that up.

I would be curious to know how it would run on a 256mb Pi. Though you will probably have to change the run command to suite the 256mb model specs.
Last edited by Rionoskae on Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hiradur

Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:10 pm

You might want to add a note that SD card performance especially for a Minecraft server is not only determined by seq. write/read speeds but even more by 4k write/read speeds.

Rionoskae

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:02 pm

Hiradur wrote:You might want to add a note that SD card performance especially for a Minecraft server is not only determined by seq. write/read speeds but even more by 4k write/read speeds.
Thanks for the info - I had no idea. Added it to the original post.

~Cheers

tx_polkhead

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:53 pm

So things worked great (locally but my kid want to invite a few buddies to join him so...) but then I went messing around and now he can't connect locally!
I used:
sudo nano/etc/network/interfaces
to try changing things as per the instructions on:
http://everyday-tech.com/minecraftpi-a- ... ver-image/
A reboot later and I must have done something wrong so now I am trying to use the same 'sudo nano/etc/network/interfaces' to change things back to where they where and I get the following error:
from nano 'Error writing /etc/network/interfaces: Permission denied'
I've shut down the pi and put the card in my laptop running ubuntu and can see the interfaces text file but can't change it there as I don't have permission to.
Any ideas?
I could just write the card over but that would kill anything he created in his world before I went tinkering.

tx_polkhead

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:02 pm

figured it out, seems like I may have had a space in the line 'sudo nano/etc/network/interfaces' that should not have been there. Things are working locally again. I'll try the whole port forwarding again sometime later.

Rionoskae

Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:10 am

tx_polkhead wrote:figured it out, seems like I may have had a space in the line 'sudo nano/etc/network/interfaces' that should not have been there. Things are working locally again. I'll try the whole port forwarding again sometime later.
Awesome - glad to hear it. Let me know if you have any problems.

MrFigreig

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:47 am

How can I remote file access to the server without using ftp because i cant get it to work?

Rionoskae

Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:48 pm

MrFigreig wrote:How can I remote file access to the server without using ftp because i cant get it to work?
You can also setup a samba share.

Or you can Try using FTP again - You should be able to find everything you need in my Guide for UltraSlim. ( Check the SSH/FTP Section )

~Cheers

Nintendo16kid

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:59 pm

Awesome! I will try this out when I can! :D
I am amazed at what can be done by such a small and cheap device!

tx_polkhead

Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:21 pm

Wow this little device is handling 3 players at the same time and looking over my kiddo's shoulder the speed looks perfect! Thanks for all the work on the image my kid is beside himself that he is able to invite a couple of friends to "His Server".

Next noob question, the card is partitioned in two, a boot sector and the rest. Where are the Minecraft files? I hear I have to modify some text files to make him OP and also to create a whitelist of allowed players. If he tries to make himself OP from withing the game's console he get's an error "You don't have permission to use this command..." I am guessing the game needs root privileges to write this to a protected part of the card but then again that just might be my noob showing.

THANKS!

Trackerga

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:01 pm

Can I use bukkit plugins in this program? Or just plugins? Does it create a vanilla server? :?

Rionoskae

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Server is not vanilla - You can install Bukkit Plugins.

Rionoskae

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:34 pm

tx_polkhead wrote:Wow this little device is handling 3 players at the same time and looking over my kiddo's shoulder the speed looks perfect! Thanks for all the work on the image my kid is beside himself that he is able to invite a couple of friends to "His Server".

Next noob question, the card is partitioned in two, a boot sector and the rest. Where are the Minecraft files? I hear I have to modify some text files to make him OP and also to create a whitelist of allowed players. If he tries to make himself OP from withing the game's console he get's an error "You don't have permission to use this command..." I am guessing the game needs root privileges to write this to a protected part of the card but then again that just might be my noob showing.

THANKS!
That is awesome, glad to hear everything is working out :)

To make yourself OP - You have to do so via the console window. Either via keyboard and monitor plugged into the Pi or via SSH.
http://everyday-tech.com/minecraftpi-a- ... ver-image/

Once he is OP - He should be able to setup other users with admin rights and whitelist within the game.

ooberrampage

Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:53 pm

tried to connect to server within minecraft and was told it was an outdated server. how do i update to 1.8?

ooberrampage

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:01 pm

for some reason i thought running linux update commands would upgrade minecraft server image, couldnt be more wrong. minecraft server is now gone, with only raspbian server edition left. in need of much help!

Rionoskae

Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:39 am

I'll look at getting it updated this soon:)

ooberrampage

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:58 am

Glad to hear it! :) for future reference though, what's the best way to update the Minecraft server? Will I need to flash the image over again? Thanks in advance!

tx_polkhead

Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:05 pm

So glad to hear that you are working on a 1.8 update!
Thanks again for all your work on this project, you have been a tremendous help to us Dads with Minecraft fan kids.

PeterO

Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:10 pm

WIll this all get canned by M$ ?
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Rionoskae

Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:06 pm

M$?

Rionoskae

Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:54 pm

tx_polkhead wrote:So glad to hear that you are working on a 1.8 update!
Thanks again for all your work on this project, you have been a tremendous help to us Dads with Minecraft fan kids.
Thanks for the kind words :)

So I looked into update instructions for 1.8 and i'm afraid their isn't a 1.8 update for spigot quite yet:
http://ci.md-5.net/job/Spigot/

I will keep an eye on it and update when possible.

Rionoskae

Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:07 am

It would seem that I was a tad bit hasty...It looks like spigot 1.7.10 actually supports 1.8.

I've posted the instructions for updating manually here;
http://www.piimagehub.com/forum/index.p ... ,14.0.html

I will try to get a proper version update when time allows...

~Cheers,
Rionoskae

lostlogik

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:18 am

Rionoskae wrote:It would seem that I was a tad bit hasty...It looks like spigot 1.7.10 actually supports 1.8.

I've posted the instructions for updating manually here;
http://www.piimagehub.com/forum/index.p ... ,14.0.html

I will try to get a proper version update when time allows...

~Cheers,
Rionoskae
Here's hoping this can be resolved soon. I've a frustrated 9yo daughter champing at the bit (oh, and me too ;) )

2.2 runs beautifully on my Pi, I just can't get in and play on it. :(

tx_polkhead

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:42 pm

So if this is too much to ask here please let me know...

Everything was working well for me, for weeks if not months. My son and a handful of his buddies were building away in his world but I couldn't leave well enough alone. Actually he wanted to update to 1.8 and I followed the instructions to update to Spigot 1.7 but then things went bad. He could no longer access his server and agreed to a fresh start with a re-imaged card. Back to a fresh formatting and writting of the MineCraft Pi 2.2 image and I get error after error. This is the same Raspberry Pi, the same PNY 8GB class 10 SDHC card (although I've also tried a SanDisk $GB class 4 card too, same errors). At initial boot either everything works and I make him OP and right after I get 'A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:...'

See pic of error on screen here: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ozow ... 194248.jpg .

I format the card, re-image and the same happens or after acquiring an IP address and after 'Loading Libraries please wait...' minutes go by and 'A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:...'

Should I download the image again, or is there another option?

Thanks

DougieLawson

Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:11 pm

Try un-installing Java8 and replacing it with Java7.

My Raspbian/NOOBS system has oracle-java7-jdk (which is confirmed when I run java -version). All the links in /etc/alternatives point to /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-7-oracle-armhf/.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Gaming”