ajusa

Re: A MineCraft Server Image - MineCraftPi

Sat May 10, 2014 2:19 am

Hello,
I haven't actually tested your image, but I do have one suggestion:
I have read that mounting the home partition to a usb 2.0 or 3.0 stick plugged into the raspberry pi increases the read/warite rate greatly. It also stops corruption issues on sd cards. Here is a link
http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry- ... -right-way
Again, I haven't tested your build, but it is very similar to mine. Overclocking to turbo caused massive corruption for me

Rionoskae

Sat May 10, 2014 1:58 pm

ajusa wrote:Hello,
I haven't actually tested your image, but I do have one suggestion:
I have read that mounting the home partition to a usb 2.0 or 3.0 stick plugged into the raspberry pi increases the read/warite rate greatly. It also stops corruption issues on sd cards. Here is a link
http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry- ... -right-way
Again, I haven't tested your build, but it is very similar to mine. Overclocking to turbo caused massive corruption for me

I actually held the same fear of sd card corruption when over clocking but have yet to see any myself.

Thanks for the suggestion though I don't know how I would share that setup here.... perhaps just a writeup on the process would be good to have....

Curious.. what is your setup now ?

Danosaur

Sun May 11, 2014 9:31 am

Hi
I want my PI to be totally standalone. By that I mean I don't want it connected to a monitor, keyboard or anything other than the network.
If I wanted to act as administrator through the PI, could I log into the current game via SSH with Putty say?
I can currently log on through a terminal, but how do I administer in the Minecraft Console assuming that's possible?
I hope I am making sense here.
I can start a new Minecraft console by using ./start.sh , but is this the correct way or will I just be opening a separate console alongside the original one?

Rionoskae

Sun May 11, 2014 12:33 pm

Danosaur wrote:Hi
I want my PI to be totally standalone. By that I mean I don't want it connected to a monitor, keyboard or anything other than the network.
If I wanted to act as administrator through the PI, could I log into the current game via SSH with Putty say?
I can currently log on through a terminal, but how do I administer in the Minecraft Console assuming that's possible?
I hope I am making sense here.
I can start a new Minecraft console by using ./start.sh , but is this the correct way or will I just be opening a separate console alongside the original one?

Connection to the monitor and keyboard was for initial setup - the lastest version will autoboot minecraft on startup so no need to mess with SSH.

You can however remove the autoboot on startup by running:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/rc.local
And comment the following line:

#/opt/MineCraft/start.sh
And to anwser your second question - yes running the start.sh script is the proper way to start the server. If you decide to remove autostart on boot - you will have to either keep the ssh window open to keep minecraft running or install screen. And yes if you run start.sh while minecraft is already running it will try to open another session and probably crash both!

You could however kill the current minecraft session, make your changes and then restart by running something like:

sudo killall java
There has been a suggestion to implement a web interface front end. This would mean making changes would be more intuitive. But honestly I think it will eat up 2 much processing power.... Still something to look into for upcoming versions.

~Cheers

Danosaur

Sun May 11, 2014 3:03 pm

It was just an idea. When I look at it myself now it doesn't make much sense because I can do it all from the Minecraft Client.
I had an issue and I think I need to make a new image.
I have backed up all my folders. Which file's or folder's do I need to transfer so I can use the old map on my new build? My daughter has built quite a lot of stuff and she will hate me if I delete it all.
Sorry to keep asking such noob questions.

Rionoskae

Sun May 11, 2014 6:42 pm

Danosaur wrote:It was just an idea. When I look at it myself now it doesn't make much sense because I can do it all from the Minecraft Client.
I had an issue and I think I need to make a new image.
I have backed up all my folders. Which file's or folder's do I need to transfer so I can use the old map on my new build? My daughter has built quite a lot of stuff and she will hate me if I delete it all.
Sorry to keep asking such noob questions.
Hmmm... I haven't done it before myself, But a quick google search suggest you just need to copy the "world" folder.

For my image it would be:

/opt/MineCraft/world
I also found this helpful link which seems to have some helpful howtos for first time MineCrafters.

kevans67

Mon May 12, 2014 5:37 pm

@Rionoskae - we tested out your image on Mother's Day. We only had two people logging onto the server so it wasn't under heavy load. Anyways the kids were playing with it for 2-3 hours and the server never had any problems whatsoever. My older nephew said that he didn't like to play minecraft anymore, but he really did enjoy fiddling around on the server while the other kids played.

One question I have is - what's the easiest way to look-up the IP address once it has booted into the server? In case it's left with a dynamic IP, and you miss seeing the IP address during boot.

Rionoskae

Mon May 12, 2014 5:56 pm

kevans67 wrote:@Rionoskae - we tested out your image on Mother's Day. We only had two people logging onto the server so it wasn't under heavy load. Anyways the kids were playing with it for 2-3 hours and the server never had any problems whatsoever. My older nephew said that he didn't like to play minecraft anymore, but he really did enjoy fiddling around on the server while the other kids played.

One question I have is - what's the easiest way to look-up the IP address once it has booted into the server? In case it's left with a dynamic IP, and you miss seeing the IP address during boot.
That is great news - Thanks for taking the time to reply back with a status update. Super grateful for the feedback!

If you have a pc on the same network with putty - SSH in and run: ifconfig. Otherwise if you have a monitor hooked up to it, could stop the server and run ifconfig from there.

Alternatively - What I personally do is log into my Tomato Router and check out what IP address it's using.

-----------------------------------------------

This is another reason that having a web interface to manage the server would be helpful..... I guess I'll have to start looking into my options here.

kevans67

Mon May 12, 2014 6:10 pm

@Rionoskae - thanks for taking the time to make this. Maybe I'll just configure the DHCP server such that the Pi gets the same IP every time. I didn't want to take the time on Sunday.

haig

Mon May 12, 2014 10:28 pm

Thanks for creating the MineCraftPi image.
Does this distro include the LXDE gui like Raspian?
It doesn't seem to recognize 'startx' command.

thanks
Haig Armen Design + Dynamic Media | Assistant Professor, Interaction Design | tel 778 881 6676
emily carr university of art + design | 1399 Johnston Street, Vancouver BC V6H 3R9

Rionoskae

Tue May 13, 2014 1:02 am

haig wrote:Thanks for creating the MineCraftPi image.
Does this distro include the LXDE gui like Raspian?
It doesn't seem to recognize 'startx' command.

thanks
You really don't want to be using startx.... see first post for details.

Danosaur

Tue May 13, 2014 10:27 pm

Thank you for all the good work you are doing.
I have been using the link you provide for the actual project and I don't know if you are aware, but something has gone wrong with it in the last couple of days.
Specifically the area where it explains how to install Java and Spigot.
I could really do with that info again as I am playing about with NOODS. The very bare bones server edition of Raspian.

Rionoskae

Tue May 13, 2014 10:32 pm

Danosaur wrote:Thank you for all the good work you are doing.
I have been using the link you provide for the actual project and I don't know if you are aware, but something has gone wrong with it in the last couple of days.
Specifically the area where it explains how to install Java and Spigot.
I could really do with that info again as I am playing about with NOODS. The very bare bones server edition of Raspian.
Thanks for the update.

Yea i am aware of the issue, it's due to the recent beta enrollment of my site into ( of all things ) a site optimization program, I've contacted them and they are working on a resolution.

In the meantime, If you clear your cache/cookies and close your browser - You should get a different version of the website - which hopefull will support the expand/collapse plugins used for that page.

Please let me know if that doesn't work for you!

~Cheers
Last edited by Rionoskae on Tue May 13, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rionoskae

Tue May 13, 2014 10:57 pm

Also just wanted to let everyone know what I've been up to lately...

I wanted to try implimenting a web front end to help make managing MineCraft easier, however trying a few different options that were suggested to me. McMyAdmin & MineOS specifically.

Status Update:
McMyAdmin just isn't going to work. Got it running - but it is indeed too resource intensive....Also tried MineCraftOS, but that didn't work out of the box.... Giving it a second try now)

Update #2:
MineOS actually works pretty well on the Pi, although it's not as intuitive as I would like nor does it handle plugin administration.... Kind of torn on whether or not I should bother.... Slick as the interface is....

If anyone is interested in trying out McMyAdmin for themselves - Let me know and I'll post the install directions. But right now it's just too slow & unstable for my tastes. You can also checkout MineOS easily by checking out this Forum thread. Would love to hear from anyone that's tried either!

If anyone has any other suggestions - Please let me know! Otherwise I'll just be scrapping the idea all together....

~Cheers

Rionoskae

Wed May 14, 2014 3:48 pm

For anyone that wants to try McMyAdmin:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mono-complete
Once Mono is installed, run the following as a non-root user:

sudo mkdir /opt/McMyAdmin
cd /opt/McMyAdmin
sudo wget http://mcmyadmin.com/Downloads/MCMA2-Latest.zip
sudo unzip MCMA2-Latest.zip
sudo rm MCMA2-Latest.zip
mono McMyAdmin.exe -setpass [YOURPASSWORD] -configonly
You can then start McMyAdmin by running:

cd /opt/McMyAdmin/
sudo mono McMyAdmin.exe
sudo nano /opt/McMyAdmin/McMyAdmin.conf

Edit Java Path:
Java.Path=/opt/jdk1.8.0/bin/java

Edit Java.Memory:
Java.Memory=496

Once started, Login via:
http://192.168.1.25:8080

User: admin
Pass: minecraftpi

During first boot of spigot you will have to enter "yes" to continue the update... In the McMyAdmin console tab type:

/yes

Ja$on

Mon May 19, 2014 12:20 am

can i use this image but import my world and just a few plugins to it (mainly lag reducing plugins) and play on my world that i already worked in with friends

Ja$on

Mon May 19, 2014 12:22 am

if i did do this i would run it 24/7 at my grandma's house

Rionoskae

Mon May 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Ja$on wrote:can i use this image but import my world and just a few plugins to it (mainly lag reducing plugins) and play on my world that i already worked in with friends
As mentioned earlier in the thread, should be able to just copy your "world" folder and be good to go. I will have to test & document this when I get a chance....

As far as the plugins go...I've already implemented nospawnchunks & worldborder in version 2.2. Out of curiosity...what other plugins do you feel will improve performance? I may just add them to the image!

(And you don't want to move your windows plugins to a linux machine, you would need to redownload them. - See the original post for details )

Ja$on

Mon May 19, 2014 4:15 pm

ok i found this awesome plugin called StopThatLag. it is the best lag taking away plugin i have found. i want to have iconomy, essentials, chairs, some kind of spawn egg catching plugin eggcatcher is what i have, chestshop, HorseUpdateRecipe, pTweaks, um, i use multiverse but dont want it and cant get rid of it for some reason without breaking my worlds. im not sure if nospawnchunks works or not. so if i could put in these few plugins iconomy, StopThatLag, chestshop, eggcatcher, horseupdaterecipe, pTweaks, essentials, chairs. and i want to bring one of my multiverse worlds to this server without resetting it.

Ja$on

Mon May 19, 2014 4:32 pm

i am going to install plugins that i want and see how it works. if it is still smooth i will tell you

Ja$on

Mon May 19, 2014 4:45 pm

it wont let me download

Rionoskae

Mon May 19, 2014 5:40 pm

Ja$on wrote:it wont let me download
Did you checkout the plugins section on my project page?

Stop Server.

cd /opt/MineCraft/plugins
Then download the target plugin... For example:

sudo wget http://dev.bukkit.org/media/files/781/96/StopThatLag.jar
Start Server - Done.

Can run " plugins " once server is loaded to make sure it is running on the server.

Ja$on

Mon May 19, 2014 6:11 pm

why cant i download it?

Ja$on

Tue May 20, 2014 2:36 pm

ok i got the download working

tx_polkhead

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:29 pm

Ryan-
This is working! My 12 year old son is grinning from ear to ear! The first play was at Turbo and it lasted about 4-5 minutes till everything locked up. We turned OC down medium and it works perfectly. Did an update and upgrade, now I have to figure out how to make the server accessible to a few buddies so they can play together.

When he hits F3 I see it is running at 60 fps, and the Used Memory says between 7 - 17% of 910 MB and Allocated Memory is 22% (201MB). Using a Model B 512MB UK newer pi, might see how it runs on the older 256MB pi that is tied up streaming my music via Rune Audio. The SD card is an 8GB PNY Professional class 10 card.

Thanks for your hard work and for sharing.

Return to “Gaming”