iSmokeCrak

Launch retro pi via SSH

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:55 am

Is there any way to launch retro pi using ssh from another computer? I don't want auto boot or the hassle of having a keyboard and mouse just for the Pi.

cacophony555

Re: Launch retro pi via SSH

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:15 pm

Have you tried ssh'ing and typing "emulationstation" ?

iSmokeCrak

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:39 pm

Yes, and it doesn't work.

Jessie

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:48 pm

iSmokeCrak wrote:Yes, and it doesn't work.
Did you install emulationstation?

iSmokeCrak

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Did you read my question? Anyways thanks for the amazing help mod, there's no reason to be ignorant. I want to type in emulationstation from a remote PC and view it on the host. That's it, I'm not retarded "hur durr did you install it?, can you type? Where did you go to school?". It's a simple question is it possible? If you type it on the remote pc it will try to run the gui within putty via the remote PC not the host Rasberry Pi via HDMI. It's a simple question, YES I INSTALLED IT, YES I CAN TYPE, YES IM LOGGED IN, YES THERES A CORD THAT SAIS HDMI IN THE PI AND TV, oh wait almost forgot the power supply. You should probably ask if SSH is enabled too and internet connections. Any other ignorant things I can think of... not entirely sure
lvl0: Error initializing SDL!
Unable to open a console terminal
Are you in the 'video', 'audio', and 'input' groups? Is X closed? Is your firmware up to date? Are you using at least the 192/64 memory split?
lvl0: Renderer failed to initialize!
lvl0: Window failed to initialize!
That's what I get when I run type "emulationstation" from my computer via SSH protocol to the raspberry pi. It works on the pi itself. Not that you care you'll probably insult me further for asking questions.

Jessie

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:25 am

These are all legit questions. There are plenty of problems that occur when users assume that packages are installed by default. In-fact about one month agao someone was trying to run "jstest" when "joystick" had not been installed. I apologize for following simple procedures. I see many redundant questions around here and I start with the simplest easiest fix first.

My mod senses tingled with your initial reply, and you did not fail to meet my expectations. Let other users take note here... There are some members of the community that would have helped this user do what he/she wanted had it been more polite. Topic closed user banned.

Return to “Gaming”