tzj

little big planet pi edition (LBP)

Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:33 am

Would there be a little big planet version for the pi?

I ask because the supplied toolkit in the game would be ideal, with the inclusion of a script editor api and the posibility of real world interactivity just like in minecraft.

The tool kit from lbp2/vita would be better.

From an education standpoint, its a very capable physics engine, looks cleaner than minecraft, teaches electronic circuit logic and possable collabrative/team based projects.

Of course bits would have to be taken out and other bits added but should work quite well.

Plus theres the pi's indirect connection with lbp!
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

Jessie

Re: little big planet pi edition (LBP)

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:20 am

Has Little Big Planet been released for anything other than Sony Consoles? Is there any source available for it? I just don't see this happening. But stranger has happened around here so its possible.

tzj

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:30 am

If eben has kept in contact with his old uni buddy, he may have already mentioned it, and if so, it would be one of those 'insta-magic' updates we keep getting now and again.
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

noscope900

Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:58 pm

Little big planet is licensed solely for Sony Consoles, but there is a community out there with two million pi's in the wild, maybe someones working on something similar. Mind you it is a large project for even a company like sony, how long would it take an Indie developer to code?

tzj

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:26 pm

If a group of indy devs were to attempt it, it would look more like limbo to save on a large chunk of the work and would offer a good start point.

If media molecule offered a few bits of code to assist with it, that would be a bonus. We could only hope.

I need to find out who owns what bits tbh.
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

noscope900

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:32 pm

Yes. Also LBP is a complex game, the PS3 had 8 cores clocked at 3.2GHZ so the pi will almost certainly not be able to run it. Plus the PS3 is much more complex to code, because of the technology the CPU was built on. Btw I don't mean architecture being different, the engine or whatever that the PS3 uses is so complex that it made games really hard to port.

tzj

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:49 pm

noscope900 wrote:Yes. Also LBP is a complex game, the PS3 had 8 cores clocked at 3.2GHZ so the pi will almost certainly not be able to run it. Plus the PS3 is much more complex to code, because of the technology the CPU was built on. Btw I don't mean architecture being different, the engine or whatever that the PS3 uses is so complex that it made games really hard to port.
Theres one for the PSP thats the one i wouldn't mind seeing ported.
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

cacophony555

Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:47 pm

tzj wrote:
noscope900 wrote:Yes. Also LBP is a complex game, the PS3 had 8 cores clocked at 3.2GHZ so the pi will almost certainly not be able to run it. Plus the PS3 is much more complex to code, because of the technology the CPU was built on. Btw I don't mean architecture being different, the engine or whatever that the PS3 uses is so complex that it made games really hard to port.
Theres one for the PSP thats the one i wouldn't mind seeing ported.
How are you supposed to port something if there's no source code available?

Somebody could try to get a PSP emulator running on the pi, though performance would probably be an issue.

sdd

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:53 pm

In my opinion Pi and Little Big Planet are a perfect match! The message of creativity and openness from LBP is a perfect compliment to the Raspberry Pi philosophy! But, from a more practical point of view it probably won't happen, but not impossible if I understand some of the things in this post right. You say Eben (the great and powerful) knows somebody important involved with LBP, and Pi already has a pretty good relationship with Sony (they put Pi together), it might happen, but unlikely. First, the Pi foundation would have to take the time to try and make it happen, then the devs would have to be willing to port it to Pi, and finally Sony would have to be okay with putting a Playstation exclusive on another platform, which is all pretty unlikely. Emulating the PSP is the thing I think is the most likely way this would happen, but maybe a little far off. First someone would have to have enough interest and skill to do such a thing, but I'm sure it's possible. A quick hardware comparison:

Pi: |PSP:
700mhz armv6 single core |333Mhz dual core mips processor, one core dedicated to OS, usually . | underclocked to 222Mhz to save power
512 MB ram shared between gpu and cpu |32Mb ram, 64 in slim version with 32 dedicated to UMD cache, 2Mb for graphics
videocore IV ~25M polys a second |gpu ~30M polys a second

The polys a second benchmark is generally not a very good indicator of power, so the videocore probably has a lot of extra stuff for processing that the PSP doesn't, and I think a well optimized emulator could do very nicely on the PI. Anyway, that was a little off topic, but I would love to see LBP on Pi! That would be even better than Minecraft! Or better yet, LBP Minecraft style!

tzj

Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:51 pm

If sony, media molecule and eben give their blessing (pushing my luck of course), this emulator should work i think...
http://www.ppsspp.org

The dependencies for it are ARM compatable (but not sure if v6), but would there be any posibility to script while running? Or could the emulator be modded to allow it?

With regard to 'blessing', would they consider a modded (scriptable) version of the emulator attached to lbp for educational purposes?
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

Return to “Gaming”