VICE - Commodore 64 Binary

40 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by welshy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:22 pm
I have noticed here on the Forum although most of the SD Card Images include C64 emulation (generally employing VICE) there is currently no ‘Stand Alone’ solution.
The latest revision of VICE uses an SDL rendered GUI, the previous one was GTK making it unusable in Console and laborious to use via Command Line for the uninitiated/inexperienced.
For users who do not wish to compile VICE themselves (I would implore you to attempt it though! See FURTHER READING), I have made the C64 Binary available for Download, because, lets be honest, who wants a Commodore PET Emulator? PLUS4 anyone? Anyone!?

Source Code - vice-2.4
Binary Download Link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B51Q7d ... sp=sharing
Operating System - Raspbian Wheezy
Over Clock - As with all emulators it is advisable to run your Raspberry Pi at the highest overclock setting that is stable on your system
Additional Files Required - Game Images (uncompressed)
Console or XWindows? - Either (Full Screen/Full Speed in Console at 'Medium' 900MHz O/C)

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Download the C64.zip from the Link (Select: File, Download)
2. Extract it to your /home/pi Directory
3. Open Terminal
4. CD into the C64 Folder
Type: cd /home/pi/C64
5. Move the vice Folder (this contains all the Drivers/Kernals/Basic etc.) to the /usr/local/lib Directory
Type: sudo mv /home/pi/C64/vice /usr/local/lib/vice
6. Change the permissions of the Binary
Type: sudo chmod +x x64
If you wish to install the Binary (x64 executable) at this time (also leaving a handy empty folder in which to place your Game Images), move it to the /usr/local/bin Directory. This will prevent you having to 'CD' into the folder every time and the Binary can be started without the 'run' command (i.e. just Type: x64)
Type: sudo mv /home/pi/C64/x64 /usr/local/bin/x64
7. Run the Emulator
Type: ./x64 -sdlbitdepth 8 (enables 8 bit colour depth, once your settings are saved ./x64 is sufficient)

MENU
Pressing F12 opens the GUI: Load Images (navigate to your Images folder and select one), Sound Settings, Graphics Settings, Joystick/Keyboard Control Settings, PAL/NTSC Output (set to PAL by default) and many other Options.

NB: The default Sound Drivers in VICE are SDL, although functional, performance is greatly enhanced by changing to native ALSA
Select - Sound Settings> Output Driver > ALSA

FURTHER READING
For instruction on compiling VICE for yourself, a History of the Commodore 64 along with some suggested titles, other musings and trivia See Here - viewtopic.php?f=78&t=69353
Last edited by welshy on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:53 am, edited 24 times in total.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"
by KitchUK » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:15 pm
Thank you Welshy!
by KitchUK » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:26 pm
I seem to be getting aproblem when trying to run this. I get:

Code: Select all
C64MEM: Error - Couldn't load kernal ROM 'kernal'
by welshy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:46 pm
KitchUK
Mmm, try moving the Binary to /usr/local/bin (you will have to do this as root user) then try again...
Let me know the result, I may have to adjust the source.

Edit - OK, its not going to work, on installation all the kernals/drivers/ etc. are put into the /usr/local/lib Directory (where the program then looks for them on starting) for each Emulator. Leave it with me, working on it...
Last edited by welshy on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
by welshy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:07 am
KitchUK
OK, fixed! Follow the edited instructions (along with downloading the NEW c64.zip File), should now work (Tested on a FRESH Raspbian Image, just to be sure!). Additionally, all Documentation is provided in the vice folder (Docs) for reference.
by KitchUK » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:04 am
Brilliant! I'll try this tonight :D
by ulysess » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:08 am
KitchUK wrote:Brilliant! I'll try this tonight :D

He he, I'll try it tomorrow. This night the Pi will fall assleep ;)
Mis apuntes de...Raspberry Pi: http://misapuntesde.com
Google Docs RPi: http://goo.gl/Iwhbq
by jarzbi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:37 pm
Does it happen that the sound in the demos is jerky? I tested the "Deus ex Machina", "Edge of Disgrace" on overclocked settings, Raspberry, but endeavoring to crackling sound :-( Maybe someone knows a good configuration for demos.
by welshy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:04 pm
jarzbi
Welcome to the Forum! Demos can be problematic for many Emulators as often they use unofficial/undocumented coding of the Hardware to produce effects which can cause issues. Have you changed the Sound Settings to ALSA as suggested? I have noticed certain Images Tested (Ballblazer for instance), jumped wildly between 30 and 100% rendering speed using SDL. Another issue could be the Binary is of x64 (fast) rather than x64sc (accurate), due to performance issues (i.e. its way to slow using the RPi Hardware at approx. 30% optimum), but both can use the reSID Core (See Sound Settings) with which the SID emulation should be more accurate but it does effect performance.
by welshy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:55 pm
KitchUK/ulysess
Gentlemen, does the Binary now work?
by contra » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:29 pm
Just wanted to say thanks for this guide!
As a beginnerlevel user with no previous knowledge of Linux this was the first thing I anxiously tried to add to my ultraslim distro.
Seeing that commodore basic OS light up brought a real joy and sense of achievement as I even managed to add it to the emulationstation frontend without much trouble :D

So cheers! The binary totally works.
by welshy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:24 pm
contra
Welcome to the Forum! No Probs! Enjoy!
by seemy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:02 am
Cheers Welshy, U rock! and it was me how took the keys!!

will have a go at the PS1 next!

seemy
by welshy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:42 pm
seemy
Welcome to the Forum User!
by jasperdejong » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:47 pm
You made my day Welshy!

I'm using the Retropie script which still uses v2.3 of Vice. Problem is that I am one of the few people that have a HDTV which will not play mono sound over HDMI. Looking through the docs of Vice I found that v2.4 has an option to output all sound in stereo. Sound of this version works perfect! Many thanks for this!

Jasper
by welshy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:31 pm
jasperdejong
No Probs! Glad you have enjoyed it!
by KitchUK » Sun May 11, 2014 5:33 pm
Hi Welshy. If I used this emulator would I be able to load a game image directly without any keyboard input? For example I am wanting to create a command line in Emulation Station so I can boot straight into a game using a Xbox360 pad.
by welshy » Thu May 15, 2014 4:34 pm
KitchUK
I'm not certain as I don't use Emulation Station, but have set it up with AdvMENU which works fine. Using an XBox360 Pad, the standard Binary loads/exits the full Menu System once set in the config.
by AmigaGamer » Thu May 15, 2014 7:55 pm
Kitch,

vice supports auto starting disk/tape images from the commandline so try,

./x64 -autostart mygame.d64

Should be easy enough to adapt into your emulationstation config.

Problem is with c64 games so many require keyboard input on the loader screen, or changes in the menus such as swapping joystick ports...
by welshy » Fri May 16, 2014 7:25 am
AmigaGamer/KitchUK
Good Point! The Joystick port 'swap' isn't an issue as it can be changed from the Menu (assessable by Joypad). However, as suggested many Disc Images available do contain Demo/Loader Screens (created by the Teams who 'Cracked' the original Titles, common back on the C64/Amiga/Atari ST, I was a member of one of them!lol) which provide info/options to change the program (infinite lives, high score saves etc.) so you would/may have to be particular on which Titles you downloaded and/or used.
by antiriad » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:53 pm
welshy wrote:AmigaGamer/KitchUK
Good Point! The Joystick port 'swap' isn't an issue as it can be changed from the Menu (assessable by Joypad). However, as suggested many Disc Images available do contain Demo/Loader Screens (created by the Teams who 'Cracked' the original Titles, common back on the C64/Amiga/Atari ST, I was a member of one of them!lol) which provide info/options to change the program (infinite lives, high score saves etc.) so you would/may have to be particular on which Titles you downloaded and/or used.

If he maps the menu button on the joystick, the virtual keyboard of VICE could virtually allow him to run all the games without a real keyboard. :mrgreen:

But I think x64 it's better with a keyboard. :D

By the way, the binary runs great on my rPi, thank you very much!
The only option that is not working for me it's the CRT video emulation... maybe 'cause it's running in 8 bit?

Thank you! :)

P.S. "Soulless" and "Knight'n Grail" are GREAT titles!
Last edited by antiriad on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by welshy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:51 am
antiriad
Agreed, the virtual keyboard can be used to circumvent loading screens but as many Titles use keyboard inputs for certain functions 'In Game, real time' so to speak it makes them difficult without a working keyboard.(Rescue on Fractalus, Mercenary etc.). Unfortunately the CRT simulation needs 16Bit colour depth to function but I had 'issues' correctly setting this for ease of use (which is why I suggest setting it in 8Bit) sorry about that! Glad you enjoyed the Binary though, Thank You!
by d8thstar » Mon May 04, 2015 1:52 am
Love this emu on my pi!

is there any way to map the exit key to button presses in a game pad? most other emus I am able to exit with a button combo.

Also, would love to be able to map 'warp' to a button press to speed up loading if possible

Keep up the great work
by Bart Eeltink » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:39 pm
I've tried this binary on my RPi 2 Model B, but I can't start it or the screen doesn't appear.
I think the output is send to the wrong port (Composite instead of HDMI).
How can I fix this?
by welshy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:57 am
Bart Eeltink
Welcome to the Forum! Ah, haven't checked the Binary on the Pi2 yet! (obviously this is an old post). As a new user/poster have you done the obvious thing and unchecked the Force HDMI option in the RPi config File? Do any other Emulator Binaries work ok on your Pi2? PiMAME4ALL or PiFBA for instance? Have been very busy lately and haven't been posting too often unfortunately, I will check the Binary over the weekend on the Pi2 and if I find an issue will compile again and re upload.

Dont forget to check out my 'Emulation on the Raspberry Pi&Pi2' for all your Emulation needs!

Link - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 78&t=54357