robotmaker

making a mud (multi user dungeon)

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:50 am

Hi guys! I was wondering what it would take to build an okay mud with the raspberry pi as the server. :D It would be really fun to have something that you could just leave with a wifi dongle plugged in and log in remotely with ssh every time you wanted to update. The preferred things for the server would be:
-multilevel map (like navigating to other planets/dimensions)
-programmed in something simple (like python)
-easy to add to the map
Or possibly a mush, so the map could expand more quickly and people could maybe build into "dark zones" or something. Just thought of that and thought I'd add it.
I think this would be a really fun way to learn more programming! Thanks!
I'm hungry. Pi anyone?

JustThisGuy

Re: making a mud (multi user dungeon)

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:58 am

Penn-mush is available for Raspbian. I've installed it it and works.

TinyFugue (tf) the client and tinyMUX the server are also available.

None of these is written in or scripted with python.
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.

dan3008

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:49 pm

I think a user made MUD on the pi would be amazing. mmm, it could even be made so people could be done, so that people could set up their own servers, with their own world. a bit like "animal crossing" by nintendo :D

I'm likeing this more the longer i think about it :)
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

gregor3000

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:33 am

it is already done. there are a couple of them running out there. or at leats they were. i tried a few. but didn't get as far. no time to comit.

edit: check the comments here for more links: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3436

dan3008

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:58 pm

Oh brill, I didnt know about them :D

fun times ahead
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

robotmaker

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:42 am

I actually learned about muds from the post they did here. One part of this is that it would be really cool to do and also it would be fun to experiment with.
gregor3000 wrote:it is already done. there are a couple of them running out there. or at leats they were. i tried a few. but didn't get as far. no time to comit.

edit: check the comments here for more links: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3436
Almost any given game type has already been done. I just prefer linux over windows, LOTRO over WOW, and, depending on the circumstances, AMD over Intel. As for the link, got a few more ideas for muds to play around with! :D
I'm hungry. Pi anyone?

gregor3000

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:31 am

a novel way would be to give commands by voice :-)

i really can't get into text avdentures (MMO). mostly because english text needs more concentration. if only there would be a good one in my native langauge.... i used to be a fan of text adventures on spectrum and they made a couple of good ones here localy.

no one makes them anymore. there is no money in local games. we are too small of a market. :-(

anyway when i have some time i might give mud a try. i already started one but then can't do it anymore (real life called)

Return to “Gaming”