adzyu100

Xbox 360 controller not working

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi,

I've been trying to get RetroPie to work on my RPi, but I can't get it to recognize my Xbox 360 controller. It's a Rock Candy wired controller made by pdp, and it's been blinking the whole time. I know it means that it isn't recognized by the emulator, but I've installed xboxdrv, changed the rc.local file with the id instead of wid, and the "detach-kernel-driver" part. However, when I try to run xboxdrv, it still says "no controller found". Also, the retroarch-joyconfig file can't detect the joystick. I've been searching online, but to no avail. Any help will be greatly appreciated

welshy

Re: Xbox 360 controller not working

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:05 pm

adzyu100
Some 3rd Party Controllers are not compatible with the Drivers or not detected automatically but can be used (if this is the case here) by adding the vendor id to the script in rc.local. Details can be found Here - http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/xboxdrv.html (See troubleshooting). If the controller isn't detected the RetroArch config wont do anything as it interprets the data of the inputs (which are obviously not being seen). Don't forget, the rc.local script runs the drivers and sets up all variables on boot, but the controller MUST be plugged in before power up.
Last edited by welshy on Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

adzyu100

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:12 pm

welshy wrote:adzyu100
Some 3rd Party Controllers are not compatible with the Drivers or not detected automatically but can be used (if this is the case here) by adding the vendor id to the script in rc.local. Details can be found Here - http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/xboxdrv.html (See troubleshooting). If the controller isn't detected the RetroArch config wont do anything as it interprets the data of the inputs (which are obviously not being seen)

How do I find the vendor id?

DougieLawson

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:14 pm

adzyu100 wrote:
lsusb (for a one line summary of every detected usb device)
or lsusb -v (for lots more gory details)
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

welshy

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:16 pm

adzyu100
The link I sent is the Drivers Manual, at the bottom under 'Troubleshooting' it is explained.

adzyu100

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:26 am

adzyu100 wrote:
Some 3rd Party Controllers are not compatible with the Drivers or not detected automatically but can be used (if this is the case here) by adding the vendor id to the script in rc.local. Details can be found Here - http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/xboxdrv.html (See troubleshooting). If the controller isn't detected the RetroArch config wont do anything as it interprets the data of the inputs (which are obviously not being seen)

Also, where do I put it in the script(for rc.local), because it doesn't say on the website

welshy

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:24 am

adzyu100 wrote:Also, where do I put it in the script(for rc.local), because it doesn't say on the website
Good question! As I only have official Pads there is no way of me to test, however, assisting another user I suggested putting it after xboxdrv in the script and it was then detected.

adzyu100

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:36 pm

welshy wrote:Good question! As I only have official Pads there is no way of me to test, however, assisting another user I suggested putting it after xboxdrv in the script and it was then detected.
How should I write it in the script? I tried it with the "device-by-id", and just with the double dashes, but it still isn't recognized

On another note, when I run xboxdrv with the "device-by-id" and the product & vendor id, it detects it. How do I get it to do it when I start up my RPi?

adzyu100

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:18 pm

Also, in the retroarch-joyconfig file, I keep on getting stuck on the "b button (down)" prompt

welshy

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:32 pm

advyu100
As indicated I don't own a 3rd Party Pad so cannot really help there, but the Manual suggests -

--device-by-id VENDOR:PRODUCT
Use device that matches VENDOR:PRODUCT (as returned by lsusb). Useful for cases when a controller isn't known by xboxdrv, but supports one of the given protocols.

adzyu100

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:36 pm

welshy wrote:advyu100
As indicated I don't own a 3rd Party Pad so cannot really help there, but the Manual suggests -

--device-by-id VENDOR:PRODUCT
Use device that matches VENDOR:PRODUCT (as returned by lsusb). Useful for cases when a controller isn't known by xboxdrv, but supports one of the given protocols.
That's what I've done, but like I said, I keep on getting stuck on the "B button (down)" prompt.

welshy

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:50 pm

adzyu100
OK, but that's entirely separate to the xboxdriver issue. The best thing to do is make sure the drivers are all working correctly by using say PiSNES/PiMAME4ALL (which are pre built Binaries already configured for joypads) or jstest then get the RetroArch config working as currently you don't know if the problem is with the xbox drivers OR RetroArch! Try and eliminate things one issue at a time.

adzyu100

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:07 pm

OK, but that's entirely separate to the xboxdriver issue. The best thing to do is make sure the drivers are all working correctly by using say PiSNES/PiMAME4ALL (which are pre built Binaries already configured for joypads) or jstest then get the RetroArch config working as currently you don't know if the problem is with the xbox drivers OR RetroArch! Try and eliminate things one issue at a time.
Ok, so I've jstested my controller, but it doesn't respond when Iress any buttons. Would that be a problem with my controller? If so, should I just get a regular xbox360 controller from Microsoft?

welshy

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:58 pm

adzyu100
On boot did it detect the Pad (after editing the rc.local script)? If so and then using jstest no inputs are being registered it may be the xbox drivers don't work with that 3rd Party Pad (as the Manual states not all of them are compatible), if so then yes, the easiest option is to get an official Pad.

adzyu100

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:30 pm

On boot did it detect the Pad (after editing the rc.local script)? If so and then using jstest no inputs are being registered it may be the xbox drivers don't work with that 3rd Party Pad (as the Manual states not all of them are compatible), if so then yes, the easiest option is to get an official Pad.
Ok then,

XD3l

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:01 am

I have resolved this using Linux Mint on my Laptop, but on the Pi I can not apt-get jtest-gtk. Likewise by apt-get installing xboxdrv the issue remains the same, where as on their own site it says that Rockcandy issues were resolved so is the Pi release outdated still?

I have blinking light and the right bottom trigger will not scroll through menus or work in emulators or games.

welshy

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Return to “Gaming”