Haemogoblin

Re: Advance MAME (Findings so far)

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi there

I've been following this thread for a couple of weeks now and really wish to give my thanks to everyone who has been working on getting advmame working.

At present i'm running Raspbian, I've followed most of the instructions on this thread but have been able to get my games to run smoothly. Bubble Bobble and Galaga88. Bubble bobble runs, but the sound it terrible. Having messed around with the *.rc file, i've been unable to get the sound to run smooth. I even reduced the sample rate to 9600, thinking perhaps this would take some load off the CPU but it only make a fraction of an effect.

From what everyone is writing, would i be right in thinking that what is currently holding us back is not the hardware, but the software not using the Pi's hardware efficiently? From what i understand the Pi's has more then enough power to run mame.

If anyone could try out the games i've mentioned and tell me what results they get. I'd be very interested to hear. If it's a case that i've not installed a driver properly, then it'll be something i can work on.
Blackadder: Right Baldrick, let's try again, shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more, what do I have?
Baldrick: Some beans

Lau51

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:58 pm

Hello,

I own a mame cabinet for years, with a classic PC and a HotrodSE stick (great !!). I work on a simple case : changing the old PC by a raspberry PI...

So, I'm testing advancemame compilation on Raspberry Pi (my original idea was to compile older releases of advancemame to have the most performant, ie the older, release possible). My RPI is overclocked and stable @900Mhz (via raspi-config).

Today's status :
- 0.73 : KO (my favorite original mame relase, old but very fast and running all the old games I like... in fact, i don't need earlier release)
- 0.81.1 : KO
- 0.83.1 : KO
- 0.85 : KO
- 0.88 : Compiles OK (but launch KO : video memory problem in the fb driver, apparently fixed in 0.102)
- 0.96 : Compiles Ok, launch not yet tested
- 0.102 : Compiler still working :-)
- 0.106.1 : Compiles Ok, launch Ok

I just tested a few games : pacman runs Ok, and several other old games. 1943 runs Ok. The biggest i tested is 1944: it runs : not smoothly, put playable.

vinull

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:13 pm

Posting here because it might be useful to others:

I'm running a custom install of Raspbian - I started with nothing but the SSH package.
I compiled AdvanceMAME from source, after adding the ASLA packages.

I had trouble getting sound to work via HDMI or Audio Out. This ended up being two seperate problems, but led me down the wrong path that AdvanceMAME was the problem.

HDMI Audio was fixed by adding "hdmi_drive = 2" to my /boot/config.txt file. I'm using a TV and not a PC monitor, but still that was the HDMI problem.

The other problem was changing my advance.rc file - the line "device_alsa_device auto" should be "device_alsa_device default" and now works with what ever output I set in amixer.

Digdug and Commando play, Mortal Kombat runs... asking a lot to expect that game to run but it's so close it kinda gives you hope it might get there. Bubble Bobble is just a black screen for me.

I haven't yet tested out overlocking / memory splits, etc.

SSilver2k2

Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:13 am

Thank you for the ALSA information
My blog of various geeky things - http://blog.sheasilverman.com
PiPLAY - http://piplay.org
DeskCade.com - Mini Raspberry Pi Arcade Cabinet

Haemogoblin

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:08 pm

Thank you for posting about this and testing BB, i will have a try at altering my advmame to reflect yours. My RPi is currently running at 900mhz. Sound in AdvMame is the least of my problems, as I tried playing some mp3's via VLC and the sound playback was terribly crackly.
Blackadder: Right Baldrick, let's try again, shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more, what do I have?
Baldrick: Some beans

Oradainer

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Has anyone tried out advance mame with the new raspberry pi 512 board? With twice the ram it might perform a bit better, particularly with the new overclock.

ldm314

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:24 pm

Just got a 512, some games still unplayable. Not overclocked yet though. I am also still looking on the tuning needed to run things faster.

Erikmy

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:36 am

Hi all!
Great stuff, especially thanks Shea S. for PiMAME.

As many of you I have some problems running newer games. (~post 90)
However, I feel it's strange if it's the HW causing the problem.

I mean, even though the Pi isn't very powerful compared to today's standards, it must be way more powerful than the early 90s aracade machines?

Did anybody compare performance on HDMI vs composite yet, btw?

Also, it would be great if OP added a list of tested games which runs smoothly, runs ok and doesn't work.

(And maybe eventually what settings to use in the config-file for optimal performance for the different games.)

Ok, I just realized I'm asking for much here now, anything is appriciated! :?

bgbock

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:42 pm

First off, I'm new to this.
I installed advancemame 1.2 using the http://raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=22403.
Everything seems to be fine... except.
After I ran the advmame and it created the .advance folder it mentioned that the ROMs should be placed
in the /home/pi/.advance/rom ; /usr/local/share/advance/rom folder. I originally just put them in the /home/pi/.advance/rom folder. When I run admame joust I get a list of all the missing ROMs not found. These are all the same files that are in the rom folder. So I also copied them all to the /usr.... folder too and still the same message. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

bgbock

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Has anyone looked at the Kade hardware from Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kad ... rs-and-con

Anyone have it working on a RPi? Special Config, added steps needed ect.
Thanks

welshy

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:50 am

bgbock
MAME requires differing ROM Sets depending on the variation being used. You probably have a Joust ROM that is either not for AdvMAME 1.2 (The Core is the SAME as 0.106 so that isn’t the issue!), or it’s a BAD DUMP (Corrupted/Incorrect File). I previously compiled a list of the CORRECT ROM revisions for AdvMAME 0.106 (Including if samples are required) Here -

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... st#p258390

It’s NOT a definitive list, just many of the titles that work “Fullspeed” on the RPi and notes the exact revision required (Most Download sites DONT list them for individual versions of MAME (There are too many!), just as the ROM revision, Gauntlet for instance has OVER 20 versions!)

The ROMS can be placed in either /home/pi/.advance/rom or /usr/local/share/advance/rom folder, but I find /home/pi/.advance/rom is just more accessible and easier to manage!

Hope that Helps!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

hansgreulich

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:27 pm

I got the same Video Clock error using the NES Emulator - you need to add the "device_video_clock . . . " line below to the ~/.advance/advmess.rc file, and then it will work.
I'm running 106.1 . If you are getting an error on the command line but it works in X, it's probably because you havent set your display clock in the advmame.rc file.

edit your ~/.advance/advmame.rc to include the proper display configuration
For HDMI try:
device_video_clock 5 - 50 / 15.62 / 50 ; 5 - 50 / 15.73 / 60
For NTSC TVs try:
device_video_clock 5 - 50 / 15.73 / 60

welshy

Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:22 pm

hansgreulich
WOW! This thread is a blast from the past! Its all in the original 'Guide' Thread

Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=22403

But thanks on behalf of other users who may not have seen it
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Return to “Gaming”