welshy

Re: Mupen64Plus - N64 Emulator for the Pi

Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:45 pm

ric_rpi wrote:The resolution is set in the cfg file but would recommend keeping it low.
Also for users testing with low overclocks, reducing the resolution increases performance. Many titles originally ran at 320x240 natively so little is realistically lost by running at this resolution (the default setting is 640x480).
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

welshy

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:29 am

ric_rpi
The latest Build seems to have broken a few games (I know this is a REAL issue with N64 emulation, fix one problem, another presents itself). PilotWings for instance has no graphics displayed but seems to work, F-Zero only displays the occasional Frame making it unplayable. Mario Kart is VERY ODD, the Kart's are displayed Backwards (players face the screen) but other than this anomaly plays normally! Mario 64 however is 'almost' perfect, you definitely seem to be making excellent progress!

Would you be agreeable to add this to the Emulation on the Raspberry Pi ‘Sticky’ Thread in the ‘Nintendo 64 Emulation on The Raspberry Pi: Is it Possible?’ section, with the stipulation that it’s in the Alpha stages? This may help route out users who could help with the Project.

ric_rpi

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:54 pm

welshy wrote:ric_rpi
The latest Build seems to have broken a few games (I know this is a REAL issue with N64 emulation, fix one problem, another presents itself). PilotWings for instance has no graphics displayed but seems to work, F-Zero only displays the occasional Frame making it unplayable. Mario Kart is VERY ODD, the Kart's are displayed Backwards (players face the screen) but other than this anomaly plays normally! Mario 64 however is 'almost' perfect, you definitely seem to be making excellent progress!

Would you be agreeable to add this to the Emulation on the Raspberry Pi ‘Sticky’ Thread in the ‘Nintendo 64 Emulation on The Raspberry Pi: Is it Possible?’ section, with the stipulation that it’s in the Alpha stages? This may help route out users who could help with the Project.
Could you try with ScreenUpdateSetting = 1 in cfg file. It has slightly worse performance but I have seen some graphics corruption in my tests with the new default of 6.

I have just uploaded some more changes but only see 2-3 more fps.

I also am beginning to run out of optimization ideas and am now having to make assumptions about the data e.g. in core/memory/dma.c I am assuming lengths will always be modulo 4 in order to reduce load performance (this could be checked and protected though).

There are some easy/basic functions in the graphics plugin that I can implement in assembler though.

If you want to add this to the Raspberry Pi ‘Sticky’ Thread then please do, It would be helpful if more people could look for optimizations...

welshy

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:09 pm

ric_rpi
I will download the latest files from Github/Build and test as requested and report my findings later today. I will also add to the 'Sticky' Thread with a request for assistance.

Update - There is a Build error in the video-rice plugin

OGL state.h: no such file or directory
[_obj/OGLGraphicsContext.o] error 1

However I did quickly test the old version before I deleted it
ScreenUpdateSettings
0=No Screen Displayed
1=Flashing Screen (ALL titles)
2=Flashing Screen (ALL titles)
3=Steady Screen (ALL titles)

ric_rpi

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Hmmm, I'd better look into the flickering screen issue then - working remotely has its drawbacks. I've now added the missing files.

welshy

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:53 am

ric_rpi
Looks like the Core may now be broken in the new Build, there is an error that I haven't seen (or noticed) before in other versions of your code -

Core Warning: Could not run as SCHED_FIFO, priority 10, error EPERM

Titles Tested - Super Mario 64, F-Zero 64, PilotWings 64, StarFox 64 and GoldenEye
Mario 64 causes a Segmentation Fault then exits (I did try 3 different ROMS from various download sites just to be sure!), all other titles hang at
Core: Init new dynarec

Except StarFox 64 which now (other than slightly 'rumbly' sound) plays almost flawlessly even the Attract Screen and game interval 'Anamatic' sequences (which before were very slow)

Also the 'Flashing Screen' could be due to my monitor (I run my RPi testing on a High End PC Monitor) that sometimes cause 'glitches' which are not present on other Displays (usually due to re-fresh rates etc.). When the latest Build is stable I will add to the emulation 'Sticky' (I don't want users inundating you with 'it doesn't work' posts etc.) and test on another monitor to confirm the results.
Last edited by welshy on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ric_rpi

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:20 pm

Looks like the Core may now be broken in the new Build, there is an error that I haven't seen (or noticed) before in other versions of your code -

Core Warning: Could not run as SCHED_FIFO, priority 10, error EPERM

Titles Tested - Super Mario 64, F-Zero 64, PilotWings 64, StarFox 64
Mario 64 causes a Segmentation Fault then exits (I did try 3 different ROMS from various download sites just to be sure!), all other titles hang at
Core: Init new dynarec

Except StarFox 64 which now (other than slightly 'rumbly' sound) plays almost flawlessly even the Attract Screen and game interval 'Anamatic' sequences (which before were very slow)

Also the 'Flashing Screen' could be due to my monitor (I run my RPi testing on a High End PC Monitor) that sometimes cause 'glitches' which are not present on other Displays (usually due to re-fresh rates etc.). When the latest Build is stable I will add to the emulation 'Sticky' (I don't want users inundating you with 'it doesn't work' posts etc.) and test on another monitor to confirm the results.
The flickering appears to be the cfg file. Could you try deleting it and trying the defaults?

I found the processor was around 10-15% idle so implemented code to auto-set the OS scheduler (if user has permission) - that is the error message you get out. When running as su/sudo the higher priority gives better video performance (~15 fps) but latency in keyboard is not so good.

welshy

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:59 pm

ric_rpi
I cant check the issue with other games (See above testing) as now only StarFox 64 works, but running it with a 'Default' generated cfg its fine. The error Core Warning: Could not run as SCHED_FIFO, priority 10, error EPERM is indeed not present when running as root, but, all the other Titles still don't run AND it causes rendering to 'Stop/Start' i.e. it renders some frames, then pauses on a frame then 'jumps' to where the frames have got to, runs a few more frames then 'pauses' again (Repeatedly).
Last edited by welshy on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ric_rpi

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:29 pm

The error comes from mupen64plus-core/memory/dma.c where it calls dma_copy from dma_arm.S. My assembler tries to read the skip variable from the stack but gets a wrong value with Mario 64. The code works with Zelda so I am a little surprised its broke.

If you want to delve into the code, there is a preprocessor macro: #if !defined(NO_ASM) && defined(ARM)
around line 350 and another further down that can be changed (add && 0) so that the second method is used (the third is the original code).

welshy

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:19 pm

ric_rpi
Cheers I'll have a look at it. I do know N64 emulation is a pain, because of the small texture cache and unified RAM (no dedicated fast graphics RAM) many developers used their own micro code in different titles to avoid bottlenecks/limitations causing (in emulators), fix one, break another (the developers of PSP DaedalusX64 ran into this a lot!). That's one of the reasons GoldenEye is so difficult to emulate perfectly (lots of custom micro code).

PS Seems a compromise is needed unless the only games usable are Zelda and StarFox! Although it is impressive, I upped the res to 1024x768 and included bi-linear filtering and it still ran at 'almost' fullspeed on a 900MHz overclock!

ric_rpi

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Very interesting, I'm new to emulation but do embedded software on arm at work so thought this would be an interesting project to take on. Plus want to play Zelda again on TV :-)

I have just got Mario 64 to work with some optimizations - code on git now.

welshy

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:10 pm

ric_rpi
K, ill take a look at it and report my findings. Just an 'old school' 6502 programmer here (hadn't written any code in more than 20 years but got back into it recently programming Atari VCS games and now the RPi), not sure how much help I can be with the coding but its very interesting!

welshy

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:54 am

ric_rpi
Latest Build Testing
Titles Tested - Super Mario 64, F-Zero 64, PilotWings 64, StarFox 64 and GoldenEye 64
Mario 64 - Works Fine
F-Zero 64 - Intermittent rendering (See Star Fox above)
PilotWings 64 - No Rendering
StarFox 64 - Intermittent rendering (See Star Fox above)
GoldenEye 64 - No Rendering

The cfg file in the folder is a 'Default' one with no Graphics Options so I cant change the ScreenUpdateSettings to see if that cures the No Rendering on PilotWings or GoldenEye (as I did previously) or resolution/filtering etc.

ric_rpi

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:26 am

Latest Build Testing
Titles Tested - Super Mario 64, F-Zero 64, PilotWings 64, StarFox 64 and GoldenEye 64
Mario 64 - Works Fine
F-Zero 64 - Intermittent rendering (See Star Fox above)
PilotWings 64 - No Rendering
StarFox 64 - Intermittent rendering (See Star Fox above)
GoldenEye 64 - No Rendering

The cfg file in the folder is a 'Default' one with no Graphics Options so I cant change the ScreenUpdateSettings to see if that cures the No Rendering on PilotWings or GoldenEye (as I did previously) or resolution/filtering etc.
I've also noticed the cfg file is missing the graphics and video-general sections. Looking into that now but probably won't have a fix until tomorrow.

welshy

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:39 am

ric_rpi
Wish I hadn't deleted the old Git Repo before replacing with the new one! Was just checking on the Mupen64 Site to see if could 'Force' a cfg save with all the parameters available. If you still have the 'Old' one could you upload here so I can conduct further testing?

Update - I found a 'Standard' cfg file at the mupen64plus google code site. Am currently testing...

Latest Build Testing
Operating System - Latest version of Wheezy (2013-09-25)
Framebuffer resolution - Default (1920x1200)
Overclock - 900MHz
Tested in Console (Not X)
Titles Tested - Super Mario 64, PilotWings 64, StarFox 64, Zelda: The Ocarina Of Time and Mario Kart 64

Default Config (Auto generated)
Mario - Good
Zelda - Good, animatics slow
StarFox - Intermittent rendering
PilotWings - No Display, Sound 'Glitchy'
Mario Kart - Good (Kart Sprites no longer Backwards)

Custom Config
ScreenUpdateSettings=6
Mario - Good
Zelda - Good animatics slow
StarFox - Intermittent rendering
PilotWings - No Display, Sound 'Glitchy'

ScreenUpdateSettings=1 or 2
Mario - Good
Zelda - Good animatics slow
StarFox - Good
PilotWings - Good, Sound 'Glitchy'
All Titles Display but 'Flicker', This can be resolved by setting SkipFrame=False (so each frame is displayed) but obviously affects FPS rendered (approximately 25% reduction)

ScreenUpdateSettings=3 or 4
Mario - Good
StarFox - Good

ScreenUpdateSettings=5
Mario - Good
StarFox - Good
PilotWings - rendering (on/off) for 2-3 seconds on intro then Good, Sound 'Glitchy'

ScreenUpdateSettings=7
Mario - Good
StarFox - Good
All Titles Display but 'Flicker', This can be resolved by setting SkipFrame=False (so each frame is displayed) but obviously affects FPS rendered (approximately 25% reduction)

Conclusions
As indicated before N64 emulation is far from straight forward, I use Project64 on my PC which has better ROM compatibility. Looking at the Mupen64plus Game Compatibility list Here - http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/wi ... patibility individual titles often require differing settings/plugins to work correctly. So the best 'overall' settings are ScreenUpdateSettings=3 or 4, resolution doesn't affect speed until set above 1024x768 and forcing Bi-Linear Filters or setting to 'Auto' also makes little difference in FPS.

Final Thoughts
I believe a process as the PSP N64 emulator should be considered where certain titles are concentrated on to the detriment of others. Titles like GoldenEye (lots of custom micro code), F-Zero (full 60 FPS) are probably NEVER going to run satisfactorily on the RPi (I did test them). Better to have a few titles that work excellently than many that work sufficiently or with issues, this is a normal situation with N64 emulation and the compatibility list of Mupen64plus is not that encompassing in any case. With Super Mario 64, StarFox 64, Zelda: The Ocarina Of Time and Mario Kart 64 running to a very high level of performance I would say that's an incredible achievement and testament to your coding skills!

ric_rpi

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:10 pm

Thank you for all the great testing. it makes it easier to continue developing without wondering which games have been broken.

I also have to admit I overlooked running without desktop environment to squeeze more performance, quite funny given I've been messing with the scheduler and assembler :-) so thanks for that idea too.

The implementation in interrupt.c in the core bothers me though. I am wondering if coding it more like a real-time system with multiple threads e.g. for dma and other emulated N64 hardware components would be better. It would allow removal of additional processing e.g. managing the linked list used for emulating interrupts(!) and I might be able to force the fps to 60. It would be a lot of work though and has a high risk of breaking the emulator. Plus it would become harder to port later versions of the official release.

welshy

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:17 am

ric_rpi
No Probs! Like I say a few are now broken, F-Zero and GoldenEye did run a few revisions back and now
1. I couldn't get GoldenEye to display (although it was working, the music could be heard)
2. F-Zero would either not display or display for a few seconds at attract screen then freeze (depending on ScreenUpdateSettings)
However, as these titles would probably not run effectively (F-Zero was slow and GoldenEye was slow and littered with graphics anomalies) in any case the performance increase in Mario, StarFox, Mario Kart and Zelda more than makes up for this. As indicated the PSP N64 emulator has taken a similar approach, GoldenEye barley runs (approx 3-10 FPS) but Mario, StarFox and others are perfectly playable.

ric_rpi

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:27 am

Something you may want to try is setting the resolution down to 640x480 and setting the run fullscreen cfg to true. In theory this should go full screen with lower resolution and thus better performance.

The failure to save the video cfgs within the video plugin seems to be present in the official release as well as in rpi. The front-end should save the entire cfg though, when closing, unless '--nosaveoptions' is used.

I'll do some testing with Golden Eye with regards to dma.c. I am wondering if there are some non 32-bit aligned transfers going on that my optimizations will break.

welshy

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:47 am

ric_rpi
No Probs! Like I say a few are now broken, F-Zero and GoldenEye did run a few revisions back and now
1. I couldn't get GoldenEye to display (although it was working, the music could be heard)
2. F-Zero would either not display or display for a few seconds at attract screen then freeze (depending on ScreenUpdateSettings)

However, as these titles would probably not run effectively (F-Zero was slow and GoldenEye was slow and littered with graphics anomalies) in any case the performance increase in Mario, StarFox, Mario Kart and Zelda more than makes up for this. As indicated the PSP N64 emulator has taken a similar approach, GoldenEye barley runs (approx 3-10 FPS) but Mario, StarFox and others are perfectly playable. Using multiple threads is common in newer HLE, Dolphin (GameCube) and SuperModel (Sega Model 3) use a similar approach, but the work involved is asking a lot of a 'lone' programmer! I will write a short piece in the Emulation 'sticky' with details of what you have achieved so far and a 'shout out' for assistance, hopefully some help will be forthcoming! At the very least, it would be a great advertisement for all your progress and hard work so far, I haven't seen ANYTHING approaching this level of performance for N64 emulation on the RPi so far! (the best has been in the 3-5 FPS range). Before I do does the keyboard input now work? Ive been using a Joypad for testing but with quick ‘jab’ at the keys I couldn’t locate the start button! (this would save me reading through the cfg file to locate them). I also did some more testing

Diddy Kong Racing - Good, slow

Perfect Dark* - RUNS! But exits after attract screen with a segmentation fault (see below RE: RARE titles)

Blast Corps - RUNS! But exits after attract screen the mupen64 site notes this, I am guessing many RARE games will have this problem as they do with many N64 emulators (because of the custom micro code) I seem to recall of the Win emulators ONLY Project 64 will run this title

Wave Race 64 - Again, attract screen works but selecting a game exits with: Core Error: oops, branch at end of block with no delay slot

Turok Dinosaur Hunter - Works but when running game cannot see terrain, however, if running with ScreenUpdateSettings=1 or 2 displays (with the usual ‘flicker’)

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask* - Runs BETTER than Ocarina of Time! (Zelda connoisseurs say Mask is the better title). Originally I guessed it was freezing on game select but gave it another go, left the room and on return found it running

*Required expansion Pack

I also tried the Glide video plugin, some titles that don’t work with rice would display (but not work) other ran but much slower (as you previously noted)

RE: 'Something you may want to try is setting the resolution down to 640x480'
Yes I was going to try this but many emulators on the RPi show no signs of increased performance when doing this (especially running from console), but I will try it with my usual method of running 2 Pi's side by side for comparison (best way to do it so your brain doesn't get 'tricked' into believing its better/worse!). Or did you mean the render resolution from the cfg, rather than my framebuffer res? I should have said, I tested 320x240-1024x768, the difference was 1-2 FPS.

Update - As I surmised, Changing the Framebuffer size (as opposed to the rendering size in the mupen.cfg) makes little to no difference in FPS
Last edited by welshy on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ric_rpi

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:18 am

With regards to the resolution I was meaning the one in the cfg file. My understanding is that the GLES2 buffer will be scaled up by the GPU. Not sure what happens if one sets the PI's resolution down with higher resolution in cfg.

I would prefer not to require users to change the 'whole system' resolution.

Keyboard input works when running X windows. Code can be added in rpiGLES.c to get stdin() with raw keyboard input to push keyboard scan codes into the emulator - but code currently missing.

welshy

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:28 am

ric_rpi
Update - As I surmised, Changing the Framebuffer size (as opposed to the rendering size in the mupen.cfg) makes little to no difference in FPS
Last edited by welshy on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

ric_rpi

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:34 am

Of course, the less users have to 'alter' the better!
What about the resolution under [Video-General]?

welshy

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:47 am

ric_rpi
Just tried from X performance is WAY down on Console (very normal, the Windows 'overhead' is crippling!), now I know why one user posted 'I'm running a 1GHz overclock and don't get your level of performance?' (I didn't think about that, its second nature to run from console now). Running at 1024x768 in console instead of 320x240 makes perhaps 1% performance difference. There is at LEAST a 50% decrease in performance running under X at 1024x768 as opposed to 320-240 which makes the sound very 'glitchy'. Remember I'm getting fullsceen in console, if I ran mupen under X to get a window that size it would slow to a crawl! ALWAYS run emulators from console!

ric_rpi

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:07 pm

If I try it in the console and Zelda works, development will stop for the next few weeks ;-)

I've found the video cfg error. When the emulator is closed e.g. with Ctrl+C the config isn't saved however if it 'naturally' closes e.g. when taking testshots then the cfg file is written. The Fix is written but not tested yet.

I'll focus on keyboard input whilst in terminal next.

welshy

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:21 pm

ric_rpi
No probs, I guessed to might say that! lol I will have a think about where/when I post about your progress, but I think its definitely worth communicating to the general users now, separately from this thread. Who wouldn't want to play Super Mario 64, StarFox 64 and Super Mario Kart 64 (the titles which run almost flawlessly!) on their RPi? If I do it you wont get inundated with requests/complaints (I will!), I have had this discussion with other contributors Andrey, Shea, pudding and PetRock the people who moan the most DO NOTHING, just complain! We have ALL had it, 'why didn't u convert X/Y, why doesn't it do Z?' Then you suggest they contribute/assist its always 'I cant *program/understand code/build/don't have the time' (* select as required), well, **** off then! Some people want 'The Moon on a Stick'! lol

Rant over! Have a good 1! Enjoy Zelda!

Return to “Gaming”