Aldebaran

Re: RetroArch Emulator Frontend

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:44 pm

Hi, I recompiled retroarch but I do not see any change.
I will take probably wrong, I do this:

Code: Select all

git clone --depth=0 https:/github.com/Themaister/RetroArch
cd RetroArch
git pull
git checkout alsathread
./configure
make
sudo make install
This is the procedure? Thank you.

Toad King

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Aldebaran wrote:Hi, I recompiled retroarch but I do not see any change.
I will take probably wrong, I do this:

git clone --depth=0 https:/github.com/Themaister/RetroArch
cd RetroArch
git pull
git checkout alsathread
./configure
make
sudo make install
This is the procedure? Thank you.
I think if you do a clone with depth=0 it only grabs a snapshot of the latest commit, which is not in the alsathread branch in this case. You also do not need to do a git pull right after cloning the repo since it should already be on the latest commit. If you want to make sure, git status should tell you what branch you're on, and `git log -1` should show this:

commit 1a6674028ff7f041959f431de2f2352d07ba6021
Author: ToadKing <[email protected]>
Date:   Wed Jan 2 17:34:14 2013 -0500

nit
EDIT: also make sure you're using the ALSA video driver in RetroArch.

Aldebaran

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:53 pm

Hi, I checked the branch of my clone is the same as yours.
You can run a SNES game without sound problems (crackling) ?

I use ALSA and my distro is updated.

Toad King

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:57 pm

Aldebaran wrote:Hi, I checked the branch of my clone is the same as yours.
You can run a SNES game without sound problems (crackling) ?

I use ALSA and my distro is updated.
With this updated core, it does not fix all problems with the audio core, since most of those are because the game is not running at fullspeed. In these cases there will be some popping and stuttering, but that's unavoidable in this situation. What this driver does it make it so the loud overwhelming static when the game gets too slow no longer happens, you get quieter pops instead. It works essentially the same way the SDL audio core works, only without the extra SDL overhead hurting performance.

Aldebaran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:19 am

Oh, if I understand well, I'm in a normal situation?
Escuses my stupid questions but I do not speak English very well.

Edit :

The Gameboy Games function correctly without the sound problems :)

Toad King

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:24 am

Aldebaran wrote:Oh, if I understand well, I'm in a normal situation?
Escuses my stupid questions but I do not speak English very well.

Edit :

The Gameboy Games function correctly without the sound problems :)
If your audio has some popping when the game slows down but you can still understand it, then its working as intended.

Aldebaran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:48 am

Hmm, that makes sense.
Gameboy games function well because they run at full speed and SNES games have problems because they DO NOT run at full speed.

I understand better, thank you. It's still playable.

DJ Adam Daniel

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:34 am

Hi, may be a daft suggestion, but is it possible to temporarily UNDER-clock the Pi, then run SNES emulator at FULL speed in order to prevent the issues present?

Toad King

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:39 pm

DJ Adam Daniel wrote:Hi, may be a daft suggestion, but is it possible to temporarily UNDER-clock the Pi, then run SNES emulator at FULL speed in order to prevent the issues present?
I'm not sure how making the RPi slower will help it with not being fast enough to run the emulator full speed. :P

The real issue is the RPi ALSA driver doesn't handle underruns gracefully, and instead of just some popping or stuttering, it produces horrible static noises instead.

abishur

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:05 pm

Toad King wrote:
DJ Adam Daniel wrote:Hi, may be a daft suggestion, but is it possible to temporarily UNDER-clock the Pi, then run SNES emulator at FULL speed in order to prevent the issues present?
I'm not sure how making the RPi slower will help it with not being fast enough to run the emulator full speed. :P

The real issue is the RPi ALSA driver doesn't handle underruns gracefully, and instead of just some popping or stuttering, it produces horrible static noises instead.
I think he was asking if it would be possible to slow down the pi and then only have single process ID over-clocking, or maybe giving it higher priority? I think that was his question, and I think the answer is no :-P
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Toad King

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:04 pm

The alsathread branch got merged, and no longer exists. To use alsathreads, just use the master branch and either have no audio driver defined (it'll use it by default on the Pi) or define it in retroarch.cfg with "audio_driver = alsathread".

CodenameV

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:08 am

Hi All,
Last night I tried the new alsathread option , which worked a lot better on my config, was still a little stutterey on some games, then I started to re-read some threads , I added

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
}
to /etc/asound.conf

then on top of that I set the audio bit rate to 48000 and even set fullscreen.
Other than the odd strange squeal I have been able to play most games at a very playable speed :) , a little too much , a quick test of Contra ended up being 3+ hours of retro fun , I dare not even try Zelda that would be me in front of a screen for the next few weeks.

CodenameV

CodenameV

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:51 am

Just to add to what I was saying, tried the pcsx_rearmed for retroarch, and was playing ridge racer and a very playable speed again a few sqweeks but still , fantastic work from everyone involved

CodenameV

Neomatt

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:53 pm

Hi,
I just wanted to add something to this:
Chief wrote:Does Final Burn Alpha work on the Pi via retro arch? Seems like that might improve the performance or arcade games.
It could be a nice addition next to iMAME4All.
Actually, on my iPad 2, I currently have iMAME4All for pre-90s games, and iFBA ( https://github.com/yoyofr/iFBA ) for CPS1/CPS2/CPS3(yes, 3rd Strike runs at 60fps on it)/NeoGeo games.

@ToadKing: first of all, thanks for all the work you put in this project! I'm currently waiting for my Pi to arrive, and RetroArch was the main reason behind this. :)
I found an old post where you discussed with Squarepusher about issues for emulating FBA on the Pi. I know that yoyofr's drivers must be for Cortex ARMs, or maybe obsolete/useless, but did you check his implementation?
On OpenPandora, he mentioned basing his code on the regular FBA, not a previous port.

Anyway, not sure if that's helpful or not.

Nekz

Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:35 am

So I have the audio sounding fairly perfect during the intros and menus of games, however when the game play actually starts, there is sound for about 5 seconds then silence. Game plays fine but no sound from that point on.

Using asla/48000/asound.cfg fix/fullscreen.

Gauntlet

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:05 am

EmulationStation query.

"If a file named gamelist.xml is found in the root of a system's search directory OR within ~/.emulationstation/%NAME%/, it will be parsed and the detailed GuiGameList will be used."

It doesn't appear to be working for me. I put gamelist.xml in the directory but my GUI stays the same when I launch EmulationStation.
Any ideas?

Also, this is my code for reference.

<gameList>
    <game>
        <path>/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/nes/Batman (U).nes</path>
        <name>Batman</name>
        <desc>Batman is a platform video game developed by Sunsoft for the Nintendo Entertainment System and Game Boy, loosely based on the 1989 film of the same name. It contains five levels based on the movie culminating in a showdown with the Joker in the bell tower of Gotham Cathedral.</desc>
        <image>/home/pi/Screenshots/batman.png</image>
    </game>
</gameList>

Aloshi

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Gauntlet wrote:"If a file named gamelist.xml is found in the root of a system's search directory OR within ~/.emulationstation/%NAME%/, it will be parsed and the detailed GuiGameList will be used."

It doesn't appear to be working for me. I put gamelist.xml in the directory but my GUI stays the same when I launch EmulationStation.
Which directory do you mean by "the directory?" If you're using the second option, you need to replace %NAME% with whatever "NAME=" in es_systems.cfg for the desired system. Also, check ~/.emulationstation/es_log.txt to see if there were any errors.

Gauntlet

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:56 am

Aloshi wrote:
Gauntlet wrote:"If a file named gamelist.xml is found in the root of a system's search directory OR within ~/.emulationstation/%NAME%/, it will be parsed and the detailed GuiGameList will be used."

Which directory do you mean by "the directory?" If you're using the second option, you need to replace %NAME% with whatever "NAME=" in es_systems.cfg for the desired system. Also, check ~/.emulationstation/es_log.txt to see if there were any errors.
Thankyou, that was very helpful. It works now.

faiqmarif

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:12 pm

Hello, I'm newbie in Raspberry Pi. I've try to install RetroArch. But, if I want to open the game.
Open The Game Code : retroarch "home/pi/filename.nes" -c ~/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg

And then the terminal give me the error message like this :

RetroArch [ERROR] :: Failed to open dynamic library: "usr/lib/libretro-fceu.so"
RetroArch [ERROR] :: Fatal error received in: "load_dynamic()"

:oops:

steev

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:51 am

After compiling Retroarch on Arch Linux ARM I am seeing this warning with the fceumm and pocketsnes cores:
"0RGB1555 pixel format is deprecated, and will be slower. For 15/16-bit, RGB565 format is preferred"

Is this normal? I don't remember seeing it on Raspbian.
Maybe I missed a dependency?

Otto

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 am

Toad King wrote:
portets wrote:
Toad King wrote:Shaders using the BSNES XML format should work, and you can find some here: http://gitorious.org/bsnes/xml-shaders
Note that some shaders are more performance heavy than others, and at higher resolutions, they can slow down your game.
How do you get them to work? I recompiled the latest retroarch and fceumm but keep getting:

GLES context is used, but shader is not modern. Cannot use it.
Whoops, I didn't realize those were all fixed-function shaders. While most of them can probably be updated to work on the Pi (some even by just changing language="GLSL" to language="GLSL2"), that might take work, or could be done automatically by RetroArch. I'll talk to the dev behind the GLSL shader support later.
Hi Toad King,

Any update on shader support?

Cheers,
Otto

Lemonoid

RetroLink

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:21 am

Greetings!

I'm a new Raspberry Pi user and i have installed de RetroArch Emulator.

I also bought a RetroLink SNES Controller (and i noticed that user MiditheKid got one working) but i don't know how to install/configure it.

Help?
thx!

HonkeyKong

Re: RetroLink

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:49 am

Lemonoid wrote:Greetings!

I'm a new Raspberry Pi user and i have installed de RetroArch Emulator.

I also bought a RetroLink SNES Controller (and i noticed that user MiditheKid got one working) but i don't know how to install/configure it.

Help?
thx!
Run "retroarch-joyconfig >> ~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg" to configure your gamepad and append the settings to your configuration file.

kalehrl

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:10 pm

When a joystick is defined and buttons mapped in retroarch.cfg but it is not connected, it is not possible to control the game using a keyboard nor exit the game with ESC. For example, when these lines are present in retroarch.cfg the problem occurs:

input_player1_left_axis = -0
input_player1_right_axis = +0
input_player1_up_axis = -1
input_player1_down_axis = +1
input_player1_a_btn = 0
input_player1_b_btn = 3
input_player1_y_btn = 4
input_player1_x_btn = 1
input_player1_start_btn = 2
input_player1_select_btn = 5
input_player1_l_btn = 6
input_player1_r_btn = 7
input_enable_hotkey_btn = 5
input_exit_emulator_btn = 2
When I delete them, keyboard control works fine.
This only happens with retroarch and libreto (nes emulation).
It doesn't happen with dgen, snes9x.

Otto

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:37 pm

I'll answer my own question, shaders are working:

Use the cg2xml.py RetroArch script in tools to convert to the correct format.

Return to “Gaming”