Aloshi

Re: RetroArch Emulator Frontend

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:05 pm

ES dude here - I did it that way hoping that people would at least have a keyboard when they first set it up. ES doesn't actually write the config until you press that key, so the new gamepad buttons aren't registered. I'm in the midst of rewriting the renderer right now so I can't really fix it, but you could probably write up your own config file and place it in ~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg over SSH. Either run ES on a Linux box (it should work without modification) and generate the config that way (it'll be saved to ~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg), or do it by hand.

Input configs are defined in the format of "[input type] [input id] [action id]". The valid input types are "AXISPOS", "AXISNEG", and "BUTTON". They look something like:

Code: Select all

AXISPOS 0 1
AXISNEG 0 2
AXISPOS 1 3
AXISNEG 1 4
BUTTON 0 5
BUTTON 1 6
From the source code, this is the list of actions:

std::string GuiInputConfig::sInputs[] = { "UNKNOWN", "UP", "DOWN", "LEFT", "RIGHT", "BUTTON1 (Accept)", "BUTTON2 (Back)", "START (Menu)" };
Not every action has to have an input defined (in fact, you should skip ID 0, "UNKNOWN"). Sorry if this is a bit technical, I never intended to have people write their own input configs. You should be able to look up the so-called input ids from RetroArch's joyconfig tool (which you might be able to run through SSH if you can fake a display [SDL's events system requires video initialization - go figure...]).

forenbenutzer

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:15 pm

No, you actually need a USB keyboard. But only for the mapping. You can plug it off after that procedure.

Edit: New post in between. :)
Pitendo - Case And Emulator Project - http://edv-huber.com/index.php/problemloesungen/12-pitendo

puncrathod

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:09 am

OK this is strange. I ran apt-get update and upgrade and now retroarch is complaining about missing libraries altough they are in opt/vc/lib folder.

EJ22

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:16 pm

Any one have any issues running SF2 or Pacman with imame4all? So far only game i've managed to get running on it is Space Invaders

blinkymike

Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:33 am

puncrathod wrote:OK this is strange. I ran apt-get update and upgrade and now retroarch is complaining about missing libraries altough they are in opt/vc/lib folder.
I don't know if you found the solution yet. But I had that problem also and had to go to '/opt/vc/lib' and fix the permissions a few day ago. I believe 'sudo chmod a+r *' did the trick.

puncrathod

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:27 am

blinkymike wrote:I don't know if you found the solution yet. But I had that problem also and had to go to '/opt/vc/lib' and fix the permissions a few day ago. I believe 'sudo chmod a+r *' did the trick.
Yeah I fixed it. Now I'm just looking for a snes emulator that can actually work fullspeed without issues like static sound and player 2 can only do thing when player 1 holds left. Sofar retroarch+pockesnes has been the closest so I'm kinda losing hope. And no I will not overvolt my pi to get it to over 1Ghz so it can run this. Guess I'll just come back later to see if things have improved.

strangelookingnerd

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:12 pm

I can't get my controller to work :(
I can map the keys of the controller in retroarch-joyconfig just fine.
Same for mapping in ES first-run. When i run a rom, no reation to any button.
Anyone had problems when setting up their controller?

Edit:
Just figured i can at least use SOME buttons from my keyboard ingame - what is wrong here?

Aloshi

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Are you sure you're properly saving the config generated by retroarch-joyconfig? And that RetroArch is loading the proper config? By default, retroarch-joyconfig dumps the config file to the terminal. You must specify the file to write to with the -o argument, e.g. retroarch-joyconfig -o file.cfg. You can make RetroArch load an arbitrary config file with the -c argument, e.g. retroarch -c path-to-file.cfg.

strangelookingnerd

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm such a idiot, yeah that worked! Thank you so much!
I nearly broke my nose facepalming :lol:

aguirrech

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi, i can't get any sound trough HDMI, .my distro is Raspbian wheezy, can you help me?

Otherwise all is working well :D

forenbenutzer

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:22 pm

aguirrech wrote:Hi, i can't get any sound trough HDMI, .my distro is Raspbian wheezy, can you help me?

Tried the steps here? http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
Pitendo - Case And Emulator Project - http://edv-huber.com/index.php/problemloesungen/12-pitendo

Biernot

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:51 am

Hi there, I installed RetroArch and put some Roms in the /roms/snes/ folder. When I start emulationstation, I can see a list of my roms and can select one of them with the UP and DOWN keys (keyboard). But i cant start a rom. I have tried any other key on my keyboard but nothing happened.

I also dont have a es_input.cfg in my home/pi/.emulationstation/ folder.

Please help

Aloshi

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:45 pm

es_input.cfg is only used for joysticks. The Enter key is used to launch a game. It sounds like it's trying to launch the emulator, but the emulator is terminating immediately. Try running a game with RetroArch without EmulationStation - e.g. retroarch -L path/to/core.so rom.smc, see if that works.

aguirrech

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:30 pm

forenbenutzer wrote:
aguirrech wrote:Hi, i can't get any sound trough HDMI, .my distro is Raspbian wheezy, can you help me?

Tried the steps here? http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
Yes, I have sound in command line, tested with the 'hello.bin' Alsa sample.

Is there any HDMI booting option to enable sound in Retroarch? ;)

Thanks again

forenbenutzer

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:03 pm

hm, AFAIR there is one line in the retroarch configuration file that defines the sound output. is there alsa or sdl oder something else?

Biernot

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:23 am

[quote]es_input.cfg is only used for joysticks. The Enter key is used to launch a game. It sounds like it's trying to launch the emulator, but the emulator is terminating immediately. Try running a game with RetroArch without EmulationStation - e.g. retroarch -L path/to/core.so rom.smc, see if that works.[/quote]

I have tried:

[code]retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/pocketsnes-libretro/libretro.so /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/snes/Super_Mario_World_E.smc

No ROM file header found.

"SUPER MARIOWORLD" [checksum ok] LoROM, 4Mbits, Type: ROM+RAM+BAT, Mode: 20, TV: NTSC, S-RAM: 2Kb, ROMId: ???? Company: ??

RetroArch [ERROR] :: Assertion failed at gfx/rpi.c:157.[/code]

petrockblog

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:39 am

Biernot wrote:
es_input.cfg is only used for joysticks. The Enter key is used to launch a game. It sounds like it's trying to launch the emulator, but the emulator is terminating immediately. Try running a game with RetroArch without EmulationStation - e.g. retroarch -L path/to/core.so rom.smc, see if that works.
I have tried:

retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/pocketsnes-libretro/libretro.so /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/snes/Super_Mario_World_E.smc

"SUPER MARIOWORLD" [checksum ok] LoROM, 4Mbits, Type: ROM+RAM+BAT, Mode: 20, TV: NTSC, S-RAM: 2Kb, ROMId: ???? Company: ??

RetroArch [ERROR] :: Assertion failed at gfx/rpi.c:157.
It seems as if the RetroArch installation is missing a library or something else is broken with its installation. I will check the RetroPie script for that.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

forenbenutzer

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:57 am

Which resolution have you set for SNES games?

petrockblog

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:57 pm

petrockblog wrote:
Biernot wrote:
I have tried:

retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/pocketsnes-libretro/libretro.so /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/snes/Super_Mario_World_E.smc

It seems as if the RetroArch installation is missing a library or something else is broken with its installation. I will check the RetroPie script for that.
I have updated the binaries archive for the binaries-based installation now. I used the source-based installation for generating the archive and the most recent Raspbian distro with all upgrades and the most recent firmware. Everything seems to work fine with that.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

Toad King

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Biernot wrote:
I have tried:

An assertion failure there is usually some error in the EGL/OpenVG initialization, which is 99% of the time caused by lack of GPU memory. Try using a bigger memory split for the GPU. I recommend at least 224/32 for SD televisions and 192/64 for HD televisions.

Biernot

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:53 pm

Yes! Thank you very much. Now it works fine with memsplit 192/64

kingsna1

Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:04 am

Hello, I have been running the command

retroarch -c /home/pi/retroarch.cfg
to try and use the joypad. I have saved the output of the joypad config tool into said retroarch.cfg. However i get two errors occur.

RetroArch [ERROR] :: need savefile path argument (..save) when reading rom from stdin
and

RetroArch [ERROR] :: fatal error recieved in: 'verify_stdin_paths()'
So i cant load my config file. Any suggestions as to where i'm slipping up. Great work btw ive been palying mario all week ... ableitly on my keyboard :D

Toad King

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:21 pm

kingsna1 wrote:Hello, I have been running the command

retroarch -c /home/pi/retroarch.cfg
to try and use the joypad. I have saved the output of the joypad config tool into said retroarch.cfg. However i get two errors occur.

RetroArch [ERROR] :: need savefile path argument (..save) when reading rom from stdin
and

RetroArch [ERROR] :: fatal error recieved in: 'verify_stdin_paths()'
So i cant load my config file. Any suggestions as to where i'm slipping up. Great work btw ive been palying mario all week ... ableitly on my keyboard :D
You're supposed to send it a path to the ROM you want to run as well. So the command should be

retroarch -c /home/pi/retroarch.cfg /path/to/rom.abc

kingsna1

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks Toad King. That sorted it out!! Sorry newbie question just getting to grips with Linux. Now to play some mario. Woop Woop.

jlongstreet

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:30 am

I've got RetroArch running on a fresh Raspbian install through the RetroPi-Setup script, and it's working pretty great so far, except sound. For now I'm just trying over the analog port.

Testing sound using aplay works fine, so it's not kernel modules or ALSA not being installed or whatnot.

Starting retroarch gives me:

$ retroarch -L <path-to-core> <path-to-rom>
RetroArch [WARN] :: XDG_CONFIG_HOME is not defined. Will look for config in $HOME/.retroarch.cfg ...
RetroArch [ERROR] :: [ALSA]: Unknown error occured (Resource temporarily unavailable).
RetroArch [ERROR]: Audio backend failed to write. Will continue without sound.
edit: The rom still runs just fine, just without sound.

Return to “Gaming”