haxxa

Re: RetroArch Emulator Frontend

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Pendor wrote:
haxxa wrote:Hey Guys,

I've Installed RetroArch - all is great, (after finding out that it needed to be run in console). :roll:

However I now have had a big problem finding out how to enable sound, I have tried all I know to my knowledge and have been unsuccessful if anyone can advice how to get sound enabled I would be very appreciative...

Thanks Haxxa

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835
Just letting you know, retroarch uses ALSA, and the ALSA driver is kinda new yet and needs some work so you might hear a lot of static and stuff.

Thanks a lot really helped! :D - Don't know how to thank you!

Now I've only got two more questions-

1. How can I set portrait mode- will it follow mode set by kernel or is there text that can effect rotation?

2. Alsa Sound is pretty good but is it likely it will ever reach a level in which it is considered better than usable, i.e. decent audio quality?

lukeren

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:42 pm

I’ve got it working great for SNES (only thing I’ve used so far), but I’m having a bit of a problem with exiting a game.
F4 works while at the menu (emulationstation), but the keyboard appears dead (caps lock/numlock doesn’t react) when a game is running.
Am I missing a setting somewhere?

I used the script on https://petrockblog.wordpress.com/2012/ ... pberry-pi/ to install everything.

Aloshi

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:14 pm

lukeren wrote:I’ve got it working great for SNES (only thing I’ve used so far), but I’m having a bit of a problem with exiting a game.
F4 works while at the menu (emulationstation), but the keyboard appears dead (caps lock/numlock doesn’t react) when a game is running.
Am I missing a setting somewhere?
Escape on the keyboard should close RetroArch.

lukeren

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:21 pm

Nothing happens I'm afraid.
Keyboard is completely dead.
I've tried running a mame game, and on the "press left then right" screen, the keyboard is also dead.

I'll try and hunt down a new powersupply, as then one I have might be a tad in the low end.

The thing is everything works great with advancemame, even with my joypad, so I've got my doubts the problem is power.

Pendor

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:39 pm

lukeren wrote:Nothing happens I'm afraid.
Keyboard is completely dead.
I've tried running a mame game, and on the "press left then right" screen, the keyboard is also dead.

I'll try and hunt down a new powersupply, as then one I have might be a tad in the low end.

The thing is everything works great with advancemame, even with my joypad, so I've got my doubts the problem is power.
Hmmm. The escape button always worked for me (on every emulator I tried so far).

lukeren

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Weird.

I'll get another powersupply and then see if that does it.

Thanks for the quick responses :)

arimal

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:39 pm

I've been having the same issue with Emulation Station, I'll lose keyboard input right as an emulator launches while launching Retroarch directly works fine. I don't know enough about sdl to tell what the issue might be.

Aloshi

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:14 am

arimal wrote:I've been having the same issue with Emulation Station, I'll lose keyboard input right as an emulator launches while launching Retroarch directly works fine. I don't know enough about sdl to tell what the issue might be.
I can't seem to reproduce this. What do you have plugged in to your Raspberry Pi? Anything that might be different about your setup? I've been testing with a keyboard and wired Xbox 360 controller (using xboxdrv as the driver) on Raspbian.

arimal

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:33 am

Currently just a usb keyboard and mouse ethernet cable, hdmi, and sd card with the raspbian from the downloads page. other than compiling and testing I haven't done much to the installation.

Toad King

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:21 am

The issues with Emulation Station might be because the Linux Raw input driver expects the standard input (stdin) to be a TTY, and aborts if it detects it is not. The method of launching the emulator probably messes with stdin enough that it doesn't try to use the driver.

Aloshi

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:16 pm

Arimal, are you launching from a terminal in X by chance? I just tried launching EmulationStation that way and lost keyboard input once RetroArch started. I'm guessing no though, since I can't start RetroArch on its own this way.

woonaval

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:28 pm

I have the exact same problem as Arimal, and yes I am launching emulationstation from a terminal in X. It's frustrating :oops: is there any other way to launch it? without startx it would work? (noob question I know)

Aloshi

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:12 pm

woonaval wrote:I have the exact same problem as Arimal, and yes I am launching emulationstation from a terminal in X. It's frustrating :oops: is there any other way to launch it? without startx it would work? (noob question I know)
Yep, you can launch it before running startx, or use Ctrl-Alt-F2 to switch to a different terminal, log in as usual, and run from there (use Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to X).

XarothBrook

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:00 pm

I've started building a small Django app to create an index of all the roms I'll have on my PI; so if you decide on how you want to do the whole displaying of games in EmulationStation, I'll be more than interested in discussing/expanding on it, so my app can compliment EmulationStation in that way

For those interested in seeing a totally not-functioning app (my spare time is quite limited): https://github.com/Xaroth/GameDB

Pendor

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:04 am

Since I haven't seen anything like this yet, I've recorded a small video to show some of the cores and how they perform. It's using the latest version of Toad King's port and EmulationStation from Aloshi as a front-end, both compiled from source. (current setup: Raspbian wheezy, HDMI out, 128 MB ARM/128 GPU).

Also, @Aloshi, I'm not sure if it's really useful but you could probably avoid entering file extensions manually in the config file by reading them instead from the core itself (via retro_get_system_info).

Aloshi

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:37 am

Pendor wrote:Also, @Aloshi, I'm not sure if it's really useful but you could probably avoid entering file extensions manually in the config file by reading them instead from the core itself (via retro_get_system_info).
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that! I probably won't do it though, as I'd kind of like to keep ES emulator-neutral. At the moment it could even be used for non-emulation purposes (since the launch command is just a shell command).

petrockblog

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:03 am

Pendor wrote:Since I haven't seen anything like this yet, I've recorded a small video to show some of the cores and how they perform. It's using the latest version of Toad King's port and EmulationStation from Aloshi as a front-end, both compiled from source. (current setup: Raspbian wheezy, HDMI out, 128 MB ARM/128 GPU).
Thank you for that - I like your demo video!

Did you use the mednafen-lynx-libretro core for the Atari, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance emulation? With respect to the commands, does your es_systems.cfg look similar to the one at https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... up.sh#L250?
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

Pendor

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:54 pm

petrockblog wrote: Did you use the mednafen-lynx-libretro core for the Atari, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance emulation?
Cores:
-Atari 2600
-Game Boy Color
-Game Boy Advance
petrockblog wrote: With respect to the commands, does your es_systems.cfg look similar to the one at https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... up.sh#L250?
I think I used custom config files with one or two cores but yeah, it's pretty much the same as that one.

Toad King

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:48 pm

BTW, for most of those cores you should be able to get at or near full speed, with some exceptions:

* imame4all: Speed depends on the game. Certain Midway games are known for being really slow, like Mortal Kombat or NBA Jam.

* pocketsnes: Some games, especially SuperFX and SA-1 games, will be kinda slow on a stock speed Pi. Some graphic effects in other games can lag specific screens. I overclocked/overvolted my Pi to 950 Mhz and it runs most games at full speed, except for the SuperFX and SA-1 ones.

* vba-next: Will probably never be fullspeed on the Pi. An alternative port is being considered.

* genesis-plus-gx: Is still a bit too slow on the Pi. An alternative port is being considered.

arimal

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:22 pm

No I'm on tty1, no X involved. I'm gonna try recompiling and setting up a new config see if maybe I messed something up.

Pendor

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:04 am

I should mention that the video I posted shows most of these cores without any overclocking whatsoever.

Based on Toad King's earlier post, I've now overclocked my Pi to 900 Mhz (no overvolting) and I definitely see some speed improvement on both SNES and MAME cores.

Aloshi

Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:49 pm

Just committed a big update to EmulationStationation.

-Font sizes are now dependent on screen width. This means that things should look about the same at almost every resolution - for example, here is a work-in-progress shot of roughly 1800x900, and here is the same screen at 800x600.
-As requested by XarothBrook, I've added basic support for a gamelist.xml file. More info here. It still needs a bit of work (in particular the game searching is really unoptimized and it can only add a game which was already found by the system's initial search).
-Using that XML file, descriptions and images can be set for games. Images are loaded with the SDL image library, which you can install with sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2-dev. This library allows pretty much every popular image format to be used (png, jpg, gif, etc.).

As usual, to update just run

git pull
make clean
make
(just remember to install libsdl-image1.2-dev!)

Pendor

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:14 am

Aloshi wrote:Just committed a big update to EmulationStationation.

-Font sizes are now dependent on screen width. This means that things should look about the same at almost every resolution - for example, here is a work-in-progress shot of roughly 1800x900, and here is the same screen at 800x600.
-As requested by XarothBrook, I've added basic support for a gamelist.xml file. More info here. It still needs a bit of work (in particular the game searching is really unoptimized and it can only add a game which was already found by the system's initial search).
-Using that XML file, descriptions and images can be set for games. Images are loaded with the SDL image library, which you can install with sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2-dev. This library allows pretty much every popular image format to be used (png, jpg, gif, etc.).

As usual, to update just run

git pull
make clean
make
(just remember to install libsdl-image1.2-dev!)
Nice. Tested it earlier and it seems to be working.

I wrote a quick scraper in Python to get the game's info from an external DB into gamelist.xml.

I'll post it here once it's usable, if anyone wants it.

It would be nice if ES resized the images (using SDL_gfx maybe), especially boxarts, since most game databases host these in the highest resolution posible.

petrockblog

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:19 am

@ToadKing: I am currently refining the RetroPie setup script and realized that I am not able to start libretro-prboom. I suspect that the prboom.wad has to be placed at a certain location? You mentioned that you had libretro-prboom running, maybe you can give me a hint?

This is the console output:

[email protected] ~/RetroPie/emulatorcores/libretro-prboom $ retroarch -L ./libretro.so ../../roms/doom/DOOM.WAD
RetroArch [WARN] :: XDG_CONFIG_HOME is not defined. Will look for config in $HOME/.retroarch.cfg ...
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
 default file: ../../roms/doom/prboom.cfg
IdentifyVersion: basesavegame: ../../roms/doom
i: 1
myargv[0]: prboom
myargv[1]: -iwad
myargv[2]: DOOM.WAD
myargv[3]: (null)
myargv[4]: (null)
myargv[5]: (null)
myargv[6]: (null)
myargv[7]: (null)
myargv[8]: (null)
myargv[9]: (null)
myargv[10]: (null)
myargv[11]: (null)
myargv[12]: (null)
myargv[13]: (null)
myargv[14]: (null)
myargv[15]: (null)
myargv[16]: (null)
myargv[17]: (null)
myargv[18]: (null)
myargv[19]: (null)
myargv[20]: (null)
myargv[21]: (null)
myargv[22]: (null)
myargv[23]: (null)
myargv[24]: (null)
myargv[25]: (null)
myargv[26]: (null)
myargv[27]: (null)
myargv[28]: (null)
myargv[29]: (null)
myargv[30]: (null)
myargv[31]: (null)
wfname: DOOM.WAD
g_wad_dir: ../../roms/doom
../../roms/doom/DOOM.WAD
p: ../../roms/doom/DOOM.WAD
 found ../../roms/doom/DOOM.WAD
iwad: ../../roms/doom/DOOM.WAD
IWAD found: ../../roms/doom/DOOM.WAD
wfname: prboom.wad
g_wad_dir: ../../roms/doom
../../roms/doom/prboom.wad
p: ../../roms/doom/prboom.wad
prboom.wad not found - cannot continue
Segmentation fault
Or maybe someone else here already has libretro-prboom up and running and could give me ahint?

UPDATE:
I just tested the Genesis-Plus-GX core and, after calling "retroarch -L RetroPie/emulatorcores/Genesis-Plus-GX/libretro.so RetroPie/roms/megadrive/Sonic\ the\ Hedgehog\ -\ Compilation\ #\ SMD.SMD", I get the message "System directory is not defined. Cannot continure ..."

I think I am missing a basic point in calling/configuring retroarch here.

Thanks a lot!
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

ratherDashing

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Anyone looking into PCSX ReARMed: http://notaz.gp2x.de/pcsx_rearmed.php

Looks like it would be a good fit for RetroArch.

Return to “Gaming”