fraz0815

Re: RetroArch Emulator Frontend

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Aloshi wrote:To anyone looking for a simple front-end for RetroArch that doesn't use X, I present: EmulationStation!

I've been working on it for the past week or so. It's written in C++ and uses SDL, SDL TTF, and Boost.Filesystem. It can be easily configured with a list of "systems" - each with a name, search path, extension, and launch command - to easily browse a list of ROMs with either a controller or keyboard. More instructions in the README.

It's still got some work to do (allow holding down non-keyboard input to scroll, sorting the games list, truncating games with long names, beautification), but it's in a usable state. I'm also an entirely self-taught programmer, so please excuse me if the code is ugly. :P
Possible noob question:
How to start?
I have installed the libs and compiled it,
directory after that looks like:
emulationstation LinLibertine_R.ttf Makefile README.md src

just typing emulationstation won't do anything ("-bash: emulationstation: command not found
" - it is marked as executable)...thanks :)

Aloshi

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:52 pm

fraz0815 wrote: Possible noob question:
How to start?
I have installed the libs and compiled it,
directory after that looks like:
emulationstation LinLibertine_R.ttf Makefile README.md src

just typing emulationstation won't do anything ("-bash: emulationstation: command not found
" - it is marked as executable)...thanks :)
Hmm, try

Code: Select all

./emulationstation

fraz0815

Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:31 pm

Thanks, still don't get used to that "./" thing :)
Now it is giving me just a blank black screen, top over putty doesn't shows it.
Well problem is possible at my end, will try again the next days with a fresh install and fresh retroarch, pretty likely I messed up to many things

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:34 pm

http://www.linfo.org/dot_slash.html

not to confused with slashdot which is a very popular website for geeks etc.

woonaval

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:33 am

AskDuds wrote:Huge thanks for the work so far on this all. Not good with linux here but my plan with the pi was to try and eventually construct something like the iCade but without the iPad and all its restrictions.

After a few hours of being an idiot I've now got Super Mario World running.

Onwards and upwards :)
Posts like this one encourages me to try to do it :) anyway my question is, is it running "well"? playable at full fps, even without sound? thanks :)

ratherDashing

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:44 pm

fraz0815 wrote:Thanks, still don't get used to that "./" thing :)
Well problem is possible at my end, will try again the next days with a fresh install and fresh retroarch, pretty likely I messed up to many things
Plan PuTTY isn't going to display anything but the console. I bet if you hooked you Pi to a monitor you would be seeing it work.

fraz0815

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:50 pm

ratherDashing wrote:
fraz0815 wrote:Thanks, still don't get used to that "./" thing :)
Plan PuTTY isn't going to display anything but the console. I bet if you hooked you Pi to a monitor you would be seeing it work.
Sorry, I think you missunderstood me ;)
Pi is hooked to tv with its own keyboard, mouse etc. There i tried to to start emulationstation, which gives me a blank screen, to check if something was actually running i startet putty on my dektop-pc and checked if there was something running. I am aware that i can't easily run graphical stuff via putty.

Aloshi

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:33 pm

That is quite odd - you should be able to press F4 to close EmulationStation, even if you can't see it. Is an error message given?

(Also, for me anyway, sometimes error messages etc. don't output correctly if the console is full - if that happens, try using "clear" before running ES. If all else fails, you could try compiling/running from a terminal in X - it'll run in a window. You'll probably need to run 'make clean' to make it recompile.)

Pendor

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:58 pm

fraz0815 wrote:
ratherDashing wrote:
fraz0815 wrote:(...) I am aware that i can't easily run graphical stuff via putty.
You can.

But seems to me like you're probably doing something wrong. (Some of the components are not properly compiled or missing, systems file not set, etc. I suggest you use the shell script provided on this thread to install retroarch, make sure its working using command line, then install emulationstation and read/edit the systems config, etc).

fraz0815

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:00 pm

F4 won't do anything, have to reboot via putty if I have gotten to that black screen. "blind" inputs like sudo reboot are also not recognized.

Starting in x-terminal seems to help, first it complained about the empty config file which I edited then, it does find the roms. Starting the roms resulted in
..."failed to open dynamic library"...

possibly because I used http://www.frost-software.com/blog/2012 ... h-nes.html to install retroarch and its dependencies. So wrong command to start, but that should be easy to fix, once I have some time to test and find out where those libraries are located on my system :)

Pendor

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:09 pm

fraz0815 wrote:possibly because I used http://www.frost-software.com/blog/2012 ... h-nes.html to install retroarch and its dependencies. So wrong command to start, but that should be easy to fix, once I have some time to test and find out where those libraries are located on my system :)
I did that too and it works for me. Libs are located on /emu/{platform}/. Just make sure you edit the emulationstation systems file accordingly.

fraz0815

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks pendor :)
But as long as I need x I will stay with the python script to start games without x.

I have no clue whats causing the blank screen when running emulationstation from console directly, no error given there (as said in x-terminal it works).
Using a raspbian image with xbmc preinstalled from silas, I will try a fresh original raspbian image the next days, thank you all so far! This is also not very high in my priorities, (s)nes works with gamepad, that was by far the most important, time will get me more frontends I am sure :)

fraz0815

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:38 pm

So, fresh install gave me the same blank not responding to anything screen when starting ./emulationstation.
So i thought what the hell did I change, i remembered always enabling overscan in config.txt because resolution on tv is else very strange. Surprisingly that did the trick.

tl:dr
#disable_overscan=1
-> blank screen when starting

disable_overscan=1
works, only menu is cut off at the top (like everything else in this mode, but games run at correct resolution/display setting whatever)

Not sure if this reproducible on your system/tv, or if this can be fixed somehow.
I will try some more video options in config.txt to get everything running, else I can live with that issue.

@frostware
I think there is a little bug in your installtion script with the newly added nes support.

git clone https://github.com/libretro/fceu-next.git /emu/nes/lib
cd /emu/nes/lib/fceu-next
If you git clone with a target directory given, it will not create the directory fceu-next, instead it clones the files directly to /emu/nes/lib, so

cd /emu/nes/lib/fceu-next
sudo make -f Makefile.libretro-fceumm
fails because directory does not exist. Not a huge deal to change directory and use the given compile command and edit launcher.py according where libretro is finally in.

:Edit [solved]
DUH, I just http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=12170 to get latest untested kernel and it works with enabled overscan :D
Well maybe this will be helpful to someone else in the future.....

XarothBrook

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Aloshi wrote:To anyone looking for a simple front-end for RetroArch that doesn't use X, I present: EmulationStation!

I've been working on it for the past week or so. It's written in C++ and uses SDL, SDL TTF, and Boost.Filesystem. It can be easily configured with a list of "systems" - each with a name, search path, extension, and launch command - to easily browse a list of ROMs with either a controller or keyboard. More instructions in the README.

It's still got some work to do (allow holding down non-keyboard input to scroll, sorting the games list, truncating games with long names, beautification), but it's in a usable state. I'm also an entirely self-taught programmer, so please excuse me if the code is ugly. :P
Awesome idea, I too (like many others most likely) am waiting for my PI to arrive; I had planned on making a retro console to play all the lovely retro games on.

Now I can't test anything yet (it'll be weeks before I get it :( ), however, I do have a suggestion for your project.
Instead of running through the file system, it would be useful if the system can be configured to read a config file with all the information, think prettyfied names, showing of a screenshot of the game..

Example: an xml file as follows:

<xml>
   <gamelist>
      <game>
         <name>Rock 'n Roll Racing</name>
         <path>r/rock_n_roll_racing.bin</path>
         <extra_args />
         <screenshot>r/rock_n_roll_racing.png</screenshot>
      </game>
      <game>
         <name>Sonic the Hedgehog</name>
         <path>s/sonic_1.bin</path>
         <extra_args>-c something something</extra_args>
         <screenshot>s/sonic_1.png</screenshot>
      </game>
   </GameList>
</xml>
This, could then display the two games, of which one has 'special' arguments passed to the emulator (I had planned on buying nes-to-usb and genesis-to-usb cables, so I can use old retro controllers, and plug them into the system (they should then show up as joysticks), so for some games I can imagine needing different configs than others..)

Aloshi

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:36 pm

XarothBrook-

My program splits things into different systems which can each have their own launch command - so specifying a different config file for RetroArch inputs can be done on the system level. I kind of want to avoid a game-specific approach since it's a pain for bigger collections.

But, I do think showing a name/description/screenshot for a game would be cool. I've been toying around with the idea of automatically pulling game info from a website that aggregates this sort of information. I got a basic version of this working with GiantBomb's API a month ago, but it's not 100% perfect (some games have identical names, and there's no way to sort by date). I would make this a separate tool that would parse your ROM folders and save the data somewhere (since I, and many others, don't always have an internet connection on their Pi).

I'm just not sure if this approach would be accurate enough for most people to use (I'm sure I could make a manual mode as well, but that's not ideal). If anyone knows of a website that would be better suited to this, let me know.

XarothBrook

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:34 am

I think you didn't get the complete idea of what I was trying to explain; probably mostly my bad, as I shouldn't be trying to be creative at silly-AM.

The idea is simple:

1) you keep the cfg file you already have in place, as such, have a per-game setting of command line settings
2) in that same cfg you add an option to specify an XML file to which to save the data (seeing you want to automate getting the data, it couldn't hurt to have some 'default' value enabled where the app stores what it retrieves)
2a) In that xml, laid out somewhat as I mentioned, you allow users to create their own collection of games, with the option to allow screenshots for a prettier interface, custom name, and optional, for specific cases (note, this shouldn't be used by default, but on the special off-cases where the game just needs to be treated differently)
2b) At the same time, the interface itself can write to this file in the way you mentioned; having it pull information from the game off of an API (name, screenshot, whatever?)..

This should allow the following:

- Roms separated in subfolders (I for one prefer grouping my roms on first letter basis, but I'm sure some have even more elaborate methods)
- Pretty names for roms, as you wanted to implement already
- Optional additional information one can display (screenshot, description?)
- Optionally create 'sets' of games that don't have to be separated by separate directory structures.

haxxa

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:48 am

Hey Guys,

I've Installed RetroArch - all is great, (after finding out that it needed to be run in console). :roll:

However I now have had a big problem finding out how to enable sound, I have tried all I know to my knowledge and have been unsuccessful if anyone can advice how to get sound enabled I would be very appreciative...

Thanks Haxxa

Pendor

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:36 pm

haxxa wrote:Hey Guys,

I've Installed RetroArch - all is great, (after finding out that it needed to be run in console). :roll:

However I now have had a big problem finding out how to enable sound, I have tried all I know to my knowledge and have been unsuccessful if anyone can advice how to get sound enabled I would be very appreciative...

Thanks Haxxa

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835
Just letting you know, retroarch uses ALSA, and the ALSA driver is kinda new yet and needs some work so you might hear a lot of static and stuff.

petrockblog

Another installation script

Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi everyone,

you can find another (alternative) automatic installation script for RetroArch, various cores, and EmulationStation at https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup.

Comments and suggestions are welcome, Github is perfect for that!
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

Aloshi

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:54 pm

I've just updated EmulationStation to have folder support. To update, just run 'git pull', 'make clean', and then 'make'. If you're using a joystick, you'll want to delete ~/.es_input.cfg in order to map Button 2, which is used to go up a directory.

XarothBrook - that does sound good. I'll keep thinking about it. :)

Pendor

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Hmm, I'm just having some trouble with EmulationStation. Using HDMI works just fine but I'm getting a black screen when using composite. Overscan is already disabled so maybe it's something in the EmulationStation code. I'll have a look at it when I can.

Aloshi

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:35 pm

Pendor wrote:Hmm, I'm just having some trouble with EmulationStation. Using HDMI works just fine but I'm getting a black screen when using composite. Overscan is already disabled so maybe it's something in the EmulationStation code. I'll have a look at it when I can.
I'm wondering if this could be related to the resolution - at the moment it uses 1024x768. You can try playing around with it in src/Renderer.cpp, lines 6 and 7.

Pendor

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Aloshi wrote:
Pendor wrote:Hmm, I'm just having some trouble with EmulationStation. Using HDMI works just fine but I'm getting a black screen when using composite. Overscan is already disabled so maybe it's something in the EmulationStation code. I'll have a look at it when I can.
I'm wondering if this could be related to the resolution - at the moment it uses 1024x768. You can try playing around with it in src/Renderer.cpp, lines 6 and 7.
Most likely, yeah. Gonna try that in a few minutes and post the results. :P

Edit: Yup, it was that. Updated it from git to include your last modifications, changed the renderer to 720x480, compiled it and now it seems to be working.

Aloshi

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:40 pm

Ah, okay. I've just made a commit that'll make the renderer use whatever resolution the system was using previously. A specific resolution can be set with -w and -h. For the old resolution you can use "./emulationstation -w 1024 -h 768". It should also run full-screen in X now, should you choose to use it.

Pendor

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Also, not EmulationStation related but the genesis libretro port is doing something similar, probably for the same reason.

Just a quick thought: it would be nice to identify the current video output and edit a config file/pass a parameter to the library accordingly to avoid this. It's kinda pointless since it's just one library so far but its definitely something to consider.

Maybe there's a better way to do it, I dunno. I'll investigate a lil bit when I have the time.

Return to “Gaming”