SuperPichu

Composite Out with NES

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:13 pm

I can't seem to get the nes emulator core to output over composite. It works fine with HDMI but with composite when I select a rom it shows terminal for a second and then the tv says no signal.

Toad King

Re: RetroArch Emulator Frontend

Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:21 pm

That sounds like a bug in the Raspberry Pi drivers.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Composite Out with NES

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:25 am

SuperPichu wrote:I can't seem to get the nes emulator core to output over composite. It works fine with HDMI but with composite when I select a rom it shows terminal for a second and then the tv says no signal.
The only things I could imagine doing that are:
use of tvservice to switch to hdmi or change resolution
use of libcec
use of hdmi audio (e.g amixer -c 0 cset numid=3 2)

Does retroarch cause any of those to occur?
Can you try with audio disabled?

petrockblog

Re: Composite Out with NES

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:43 am

dom wrote:
SuperPichu wrote:I can't seem to get the nes emulator core to output over composite. It works fine with HDMI but with composite when I select a rom it shows terminal for a second and then the tv says no signal.
The only things I could imagine doing that are:
use of tvservice to switch to hdmi or change resolution
use of libcec
use of hdmi audio (e.g amixer -c 0 cset numid=3 2)

Does retroarch cause any of those to occur?
Can you try with audio disabled?
Just in case you are using the RetroPie Script: In /home/pi/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg the RetroArch emulators are configured such that the HDMI resolution is changed via tvservice to VGA when starting the emulators. To disable this you could change the lines

Code: Select all

$rootdir/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 1 "retroarch -L `find ...
to

$rootdir/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 2 "retroarch -L `find 
This disables the use of tvservice to switch the resolution.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

SuperPichu

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Thank you for all of the suggestions. As soon as I get my new pi (I accidentally shorted out the first one :( ) I will give them a shot. Thank you again for your help.

jedimasta

Fri May 10, 2013 6:56 am

I realize this is an old topic, but I hope my question is still relevant.

I installed the most recent RetroPie image and by and large everything seems to be working. For the moment, I'm strictly using this for MAME roms on a big screen. My problem is that many times a ROM will require changes to input or config switches before it runs properly. Unless I've completely missed something, there isn't a way to access any sort of menu for that ROM.

The Google Code project page suggests that in imame4all, accessing that menu is possible by pressing start and select at the same time. Unfortunately, all that does is add a credit and start the game. I checked the es_input.cfg and as far as I can tell, that's exactly what it's supposed to do. Is there a menu here I should be able to access or am I boned when it comes to configuring those ROMs? I've even tried the keyboard equivalent (right shift + enter) and got the same result.

For the record, I managed to get my wired Xbox 360 controller working just fine, even remapped the big Xbox button to exit the game back to the game list.

Aloshi

Fri May 10, 2013 1:42 pm

You're interested in the RetroArch config file, not the EmulationStation config file. For RetroPie, it's usually in ~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg.

jedimasta

Fri May 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Aloshi wrote:You're interested in the RetroArch config file, not the EmulationStation config file. For RetroPie, it's usually in ~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg.
Thanks Aloshi, but I'm familiar with the retroarch.cfg. I've scraped that thing top to bottom and I don't see any reference to a menu or ROM configuration screen once inside MAME.

According to the imame4all page: https://code.google.com/p/imame4all/wik ... elpCredits
I should be able to access such a menu by hitting Right Shift and Enter on the keyboard in order to gain access to emulator and global configuration options but the keys don't do anything more than add a credit and start the game. I guess the real question is, has this version of imame4all with libretro been gimped somehow so that a menu isn't included?

bcrawford

Fri May 10, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks so much for all the hard work that went into this project. I recently got to setting this up using the RetroPie Script and with some head scratching and hours of reading, I think I have got everything set up the way I want.

There is one thing that is still bothering me though. When I load up emulationstation (I set it up for NES only), there is a buzzing sound in the background. I can hear the menu tones just fine though, and when I choose a selection that sound actually plays clearly, with no buzzing, and then the buzzing resumes. The buzzing cuts out as it switches to the emulator, but resumes when the game starts. Both in the menu and in game I can still hear the audio just fine, with the exception of that background noise.

When not using emulation station, the sound seems to work fine. To clarify, I am using the stereo jack on the pi for sound and I am putting the video out through the composite jack. I have played with a few of the settings in the retroarch.cfg file, like using the sdl driver and changing the rate to 44100, but that didn't seem to help any. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

bcrawford

Sun May 12, 2013 11:56 am

I have still been unable to figure out the distortion that appears when using the Pi's stereo jack. I am working on building an emulator machine using a gutted NES and I was hoping to be able to use the original outputs on the system, but oh well. I did, however, test the HDMI output and everything is perfect. So I guess I will have to do a little modernizing to the system to get everything working how I would like it. Thanks!

JBaker1225

Sun May 12, 2013 4:15 pm

bcrawford wrote:I have still been unable to figure out the distortion that appears when using the Pi's stereo jack. I am working on building an emulator machine using a gutted NES and I was hoping to be able to use the original outputs on the system, but oh well. I did, however, test the HDMI output and everything is perfect. So I guess I will have to do a little modernizing to the system to get everything working how I would like it. Thanks!
I did a similar project. If you'd like to see what I did, check out http://imgur.com/a/mZRWa

I think I read something in another thread about a buzzing issue possibly being due to a grounding issue. Maybe try with your speakers and RPi powered n different circuits or something.

dom

Mon May 13, 2013 10:34 am

JBaker1225 wrote:I think I read something in another thread about a buzzing issue possibly being due to a grounding issue. Maybe try with your speakers and RPi powered n different circuits or something.
It's almost certainly a noisy power supply.

jfatica

Sat May 25, 2013 11:20 am

Hello,

I have sifted through this thread, and I can't seem to find the answer to my problem.

Occasionally, when exiting a SNES rom using the button combination that I specified in the config file, the emulator will just exit to a blank screen with a small white dot in the center. Only way to get back to the frontend is to reboot the Pi.

This is extremely frustrating because I don't think the rom is exiting cleanly, and it is not writing the save progress to the SD card. I'll play a game for an hour at a time and then lose all my progress because it doesn't exit cleanly.

When the rom exits cleanly and I am returned to the frontend, the progress is saved as normal.

I found this thread, but no one seems to have a solution yet, http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=43073

This doesn't happen every time, which makes it difficult to diagnose. I've tried different video splits, but this hasn't helped. Its currently set at 384/128.

Aloshi

Sat May 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Which SNES emulator are you using?

I've had several reports of this bug, but I haven't been able to reproduce it myself. :(
Last edited by Aloshi on Sun May 26, 2013 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

petrockblog

Sat May 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Also, which services are running? Could you post the output of the command "sudo service --status-all"?

jfatica

Sun May 26, 2013 1:15 am

The emulator being used is
retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/pocketsnes-libretro/libretro.so

I see there are other options in the config file for other snes emulators, maybe I should try one of those instead?

[email protected] ~ $ sudo service --status-all
 [ + ]  SNESDev
 [ ? ]  alsa-utils
 [ - ]  bootlogs
 [ ? ]  bootmisc.sh
 [ ? ]  checkfs.sh
 [ ? ]  checkroot-bootclean.sh
 [ - ]  checkroot.sh
 [ - ]  console-setup
 [ + ]  cron
 [ + ]  dbus
 [ ? ]  dphys-swapfile
 [ ? ]  fake-hwclock
 [ - ]  hostname.sh
 [ ? ]  hwclock.sh
 [ + ]  ifplugd
 [ - ]  kbd
 [ - ]  keyboard-setup
 [ ? ]  killprocs
 [ ? ]  kmod
 [ - ]  lightdm
 [ - ]  motd
 [ ? ]  mountall-bootclean.sh
 [ ? ]  mountall.sh
 [ ? ]  mountdevsubfs.sh
 [ ? ]  mountkernfs.sh
 [ ? ]  mountnfs-bootclean.sh
 [ ? ]  mountnfs.sh
 [ ? ]  mtab.sh
 [ ? ]  networking
 [ - ]  nfs-common
 [ + ]  ntp
 [ ? ]  plymouth
 [ ? ]  plymouth-log
 [ - ]  procps
 [ ? ]  rc.local
 [ - ]  rmnologin
 [ - ]  rpcbind
 [ - ]  rsync
 [ + ]  rsyslog
 [ ? ]  screen-cleanup
 [ ? ]  sendsigs
 [ + ]  ssh
 [ - ]  sudo
 [ ? ]  switch_cpu_governor
 [ + ]  triggerhappy
 [ + ]  udev
 [ ? ]  udev-mtab
 [ ? ]  umountfs
 [ ? ]  umountnfs.sh
 [ ? ]  umountroot
 [ - ]  urandom
 [ - ]  x11-common
I have not had a network cable attached when this happens, so I haven't tried sshing in to see what is hung-up. I'll try and keep one connected the next time I play.

thekatt08

Sun May 26, 2013 2:01 pm

When i play "Rayman 2 (The great escape)" I get a segmentation fault after the first map.
I use EDIT: RetroPie 1.5 (from disk image), but the same thing happened when i installed it manually.
I have the game on a USB-stick, running through /mnt/usb. I have renamed the game files, I'm gonna try to name them back and try the .cue file instead, if that will work.

Also, I can't get the saving to work. Does it load the memory card automatically? Or do i need to specify a file? (like Rayman2.rtc or something like that, can't remember the extension).

EDIT: Didn't work. Do you think it makes any difference if i move the files to the SD-card?
Last edited by thekatt08 on Mon May 27, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

petrockblog

Sun May 26, 2013 3:34 pm

jfatica wrote:The emulator being used is

I see there are other options in the config file for other snes emulators, maybe I should try one of those instead?

[ + ]  SNESDev
 [ ? ]  alsa-utils
 [ - ]  bootlogs
 [ ? ]  bootmisc.sh
 [ ? ]  checkfs.sh
 [ - ]  checkroot.sh
 [ - ]  console-setup
 [ + ]  cron
 [ + ]  dbus
 [ ? ]  dphys-swapfile
 [ ? ]  fake-hwclock
 [ - ]  hostname.sh
 [ ? ]  hwclock.sh
 [ + ]  ifplugd
 [ - ]  kbd
 [ - ]  keyboard-setup
 [ ? ]  killprocs
 [ ? ]  kmod
 [ - ]  lightdm
 [ - ]  motd
 [ ? ]  mountall.sh
 [ ? ]  mountdevsubfs.sh
 [ ? ]  mountkernfs.sh
 [ ? ]  mountnfs.sh
 [ ? ]  mtab.sh
 [ ? ]  networking
 [ - ]  nfs-common
 [ + ]  ntp
 [ ? ]  plymouth
 [ ? ]  plymouth-log
 [ - ]  procps
 [ ? ]  rc.local
 [ - ]  rmnologin
 [ - ]  rpcbind
 [ - ]  rsync
 [ + ]  rsyslog
 [ ? ]  screen-cleanup
 [ ? ]  sendsigs
 [ + ]  ssh
 [ - ]  sudo
 [ + ]  triggerhappy
 [ + ]  udev
 [ ? ]  udev-mtab
 [ ? ]  umountfs
 [ ? ]  umountnfs.sh
 [ ? ]  umountroot
 [ - ]  urandom
 [ - ]  x11-common
I have not had a network cable attached when this happens, so I haven't tried sshing in to see what is hung-up. I'll try and keep one connected the next time I play.
If you do not have SNES controllers hooked up to the GPIO pins or using the RetroPie GPIO adapter I would try and disable SNESDev via the RetroPie Setup Script (from within the "setup" menu).

Please it report here, if this has an effect on the issue you described.

SergeantStubbs

Sun May 26, 2013 5:04 pm

I am also creating a small front-end to RetroArch but I am unable to send and register any keyboard input to RetroArch with an stdin stream. I am somewhat new to this so maybe there is another step other than just sending to the stdin object stream. I am launching RetroArch via passing commandline but from an X window. I need the input from the X window sent to retroarch to control it. I can route all input from the x window to any process already but this does not work with retroarch (it does with any other process). I am not getting anything from stdout either.

Is there some sort of direct input with retroarch that is outside of stdin/out? I've been looking through the RA source code as well but i can't figure it out.

jfatica

Mon May 27, 2013 3:22 pm

petrockblog wrote:

[ + ]  SNESDev
 [ ? ]  alsa-utils
 [ - ]  bootlogs
 [ ? ]  bootmisc.sh
 [ ? ]  checkfs.sh
 [ - ]  checkroot.sh
 [ - ]  console-setup
 [ + ]  cron
 [ + ]  dbus
 [ ? ]  dphys-swapfile
 [ ? ]  fake-hwclock
 [ - ]  hostname.sh
 [ ? ]  hwclock.sh
 [ + ]  ifplugd
 [ - ]  kbd
 [ - ]  keyboard-setup
 [ ? ]  killprocs
 [ ? ]  kmod
 [ - ]  lightdm
 [ - ]  motd
 [ ? ]  mountall.sh
 [ ? ]  mountdevsubfs.sh
 [ ? ]  mountkernfs.sh
 [ ? ]  mountnfs.sh
 [ ? ]  mtab.sh
 [ ? ]  networking
 [ - ]  nfs-common
 [ + ]  ntp
 [ ? ]  plymouth
 [ ? ]  plymouth-log
 [ - ]  procps
 [ ? ]  rc.local
 [ - ]  rmnologin
 [ - ]  rpcbind
 [ - ]  rsync
 [ + ]  rsyslog
 [ ? ]  screen-cleanup
 [ ? ]  sendsigs
 [ + ]  ssh
 [ - ]  sudo
 [ + ]  triggerhappy
 [ + ]  udev
 [ ? ]  udev-mtab
 [ ? ]  umountfs
 [ ? ]  umountnfs.sh
 [ ? ]  umountroot
 [ - ]  urandom
 [ - ]  x11-common
If you do not have SNES controllers hooked up to the GPIO pins or using the RetroPie GPIO adapter I would try and disable SNESDev via the RetroPie Setup Script (from within the "setup" menu).

Just a quick follow up. Got the crash on exit to happen with a network cable connected and an ssh connection active. Pi becomes completely unresponsive. Won't accept text input from the open connection, and can't establish new connections.

Is there a log I can pull when the Pi is rebooted that will show what happened at crash time?

Rebooted Pi, disabled SNESDev, will reply back with results.

jfatica

Mon May 27, 2013 9:59 pm

jfatica wrote:
petrockblog wrote:

[ + ]  SNESDev
 [ ? ]  alsa-utils
 [ - ]  bootlogs
 [ ? ]  bootmisc.sh
 [ ? ]  checkfs.sh
 [ - ]  checkroot.sh
 [ - ]  console-setup
 [ + ]  cron
 [ + ]  dbus
 [ ? ]  dphys-swapfile
 [ ? ]  fake-hwclock
 [ - ]  hostname.sh
 [ ? ]  hwclock.sh
 [ + ]  ifplugd
 [ - ]  kbd
 [ - ]  keyboard-setup
 [ ? ]  killprocs
 [ ? ]  kmod
 [ - ]  lightdm
 [ - ]  motd
 [ ? ]  mountall.sh
 [ ? ]  mountdevsubfs.sh
 [ ? ]  mountkernfs.sh
 [ ? ]  mountnfs.sh
 [ ? ]  mtab.sh
 [ ? ]  networking
 [ - ]  nfs-common
 [ + ]  ntp
 [ ? ]  plymouth
 [ ? ]  plymouth-log
 [ - ]  procps
 [ ? ]  rc.local
 [ - ]  rmnologin
 [ - ]  rpcbind
 [ - ]  rsync
 [ + ]  rsyslog
 [ ? ]  screen-cleanup
 [ ? ]  sendsigs
 [ + ]  ssh
 [ - ]  sudo
 [ + ]  triggerhappy
 [ + ]  udev
 [ ? ]  udev-mtab
 [ ? ]  umountfs
 [ ? ]  umountnfs.sh
 [ ? ]  umountroot
 [ - ]  urandom
 [ - ]  x11-common

Just a quick follow up. Got the crash on exit to happen with a network cable connected and an ssh connection active. Pi becomes completely unresponsive. Won't accept text input from the open connection, and can't establish new connections.

Is there a log I can pull when the Pi is rebooted that will show what happened at crash time?

Rebooted Pi, disabled SNESDev, will reply back with results.
Yep, still occurs with SNESDev disabled.

I'm pretty sure that length of play time within a specific rom is a good way to trigger it. 15-30 minute sessions don't seem to cause it, but if I play or leave a rom for a couple hours, it will crash on exit.

Aloshi

Mon May 27, 2013 10:53 pm

Hm, if you don't mind, could you try an earlier version of EmulationStation and see if that fixes it?

You should be able to switch to it with "git checkout 149c1bcbdd". From there, just run "make" to recompile, and see if the problem persists.

Thanks!

jfatica

Tue May 28, 2013 2:14 am

Aloshi wrote:Hm, if you don't mind, could you try an earlier version of EmulationStation and see if that fixes it?

You should be able to switch to it with "git checkout 149c1bcbdd". From there, just run "make" to recompile, and see if the problem persists.

Thanks!
Yep, same issue with this build also.

jfatica

Thu May 30, 2013 12:02 pm

jfatica wrote:
Aloshi wrote:Hm, if you don't mind, could you try an earlier version of EmulationStation and see if that fixes it?

Thanks!
Yep, same issue with this build also.
Same problem also happens with the NES emulator as well. Maybe I have a bad Pi? Or a bad install?

Return to “Gaming”