palerider

Re: RetroArch Emulator Frontend

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:11 pm

Hey all,

Is there a way to absolutely force RetroArch to use a particular screen resolution and no scaling, for every core? No matter what I try to set in retroarch.cfg, the Gambatte core, for instance, always attempts to set 480 x 432 which results in nothing but a black screen on my screen (composite output)

Here's what it says when I run it with -v:

RetroArch: Adjusting aspect ratio to 1.11
RetroArch: Video @ 480 x 432

What I want: to always run everything in (for instance) 640 x 480, with no scaling and no aspect ratio adjustments, no matter what. Just put the pixels on the screen, do no processing. Is this possible?

Toad King

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:42 pm

palerider wrote:Hey all,

Is there a way to absolutely force RetroArch to use a particular screen resolution and no scaling, for every core? No matter what I try to set in retroarch.cfg, the Gambatte core, for instance, always attempts to set 480 x 432 which results in nothing but a black screen on my screen (composite output)

Here's what it says when I run it with -v:

RetroArch: Adjusting aspect ratio to 1.11
RetroArch: Video @ 480 x 432

What I want: to always run everything in (for instance) 640 x 480, with no scaling and no aspect ratio adjustments, no matter what. Just put the pixels on the screen, do no processing. Is this possible?
That's just the resolution of the emulator frame; it is always stretched to your screen's resolution.

What memory split are you using? With the latest GL changes, the amount of memory RetroArch uses has gone up, and you may need to change gpu_mem=128 in /boot/config.txt. Alternatively, you can go back to the OpenVG core by setting "video_driver = vg" in ~/.retroarch.cfg

abishur

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Toad King wrote: That's just the resolution of the emulator frame; it is always stretched to your screen's resolution.

What memory split are you using? With the latest GL changes, the amount of memory RetroArch uses has gone up, and you may need to change gpu_mem=128 in /boot/config.txt. Alternatively, you can go back to the OpenVG core by setting "video_driver = vg" in ~/.retroarch.cfg
Oh really? I was noticing that after this last time I built it the Sega Genesis emulator was running a lot smoother (just testing using Sonic the Hedgehog 1), is the new GL changes responsible for this? Also has anyone had any luck getting a working game speed off the Gameboy Advanced emulator in retroarch?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Toad King

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:59 pm

abishur wrote:
Toad King wrote: That's just the resolution of the emulator frame; it is always stretched to your screen's resolution.

Oh really? I was noticing that after this last time I built it the Sega Genesis emulator was running a lot smoother (just testing using Sonic the Hedgehog 1), is the new GL changes responsible for this? Also has anyone had any luck getting a working game speed off the Gameboy Advanced emulator in retroarch?
It's possible the switch to GL had some performance gains. Some quick tests myself found the two to be about equal in speed.

Work on finding a faster GBA core has stalled, but might pick up soon, since we may need one for the upcoming Android port. Of course, you could always find one and port it to libretro yourself. :P

abishur

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Toad King wrote: It's possible the switch to GL had some performance gains. Some quick tests myself found the two to be about equal in speed.

Work on finding a faster GBA core has stalled, but might pick up soon, since we may need one for the upcoming Android port. Of course, you could always find one and port it to libretro yourself. :P
*whistles noncommittally* :-P Porting is still above my linux expertise range, I was just hoping someone had found something like "change the settings to super lousy, stand on one foot, and recite the Gettysburg address and it works"

n1ko

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks alot for all work! Just tried out this myself but i am seeing couple for problems.

For some reason the cpu usage is really high (95-100%) even on nes -games (same level on snes actually). The games arent totally fluid and i'm finding the sounds a bit weird (using hdmi and alsa setting in retroarch.cfg). I tried to change gl->vg, no difference and also alsa->sdl.

I have overclocked the rpi to 1Ghz, and have 320/192 split. Is there something else I should try to tune? Is there any performance gains to be had with gpu_freq? It seems my rpi can't handle any rise on the core_freq so thats default

Secondly, for some reason my gamepad (Logitech F710) isn't used in snes games. And even weirdly, it actually works in the game menu but not when the game actually starts. Super Mario All Stars for example. I am wondering if there might be some bug related to what players gamepad my gamepad is mapped to..?

Casey

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:09 am

I have the same problem with super mario all stars using a ps3 controller through bluetooth.

I think it's more related to the game than the specific controller as other games like mario kart and donkey kong work fine.

abishur

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:13 am

n1ko wrote:Thanks alot for all work! Just tried out this myself but i am seeing couple for problems.

For some reason the cpu usage is really high (95-100%) even on nes -games (same level on snes actually). The games arent totally fluid and i'm finding the sounds a bit weird (using hdmi and alsa setting in retroarch.cfg). I tried to change gl->vg, no difference and also alsa->sdl.

I have overclocked the rpi to 1Ghz, and have 320/192 split. Is there something else I should try to tune? Is there any performance gains to be had with gpu_freq? It seems my rpi can't handle any rise on the core_freq so thats default

Secondly, for some reason my gamepad (Logitech F710) isn't used in snes games. And even weirdly, it actually works in the game menu but not when the game actually starts. Super Mario All Stars for example. I am wondering if there might be some bug related to what players gamepad my gamepad is mapped to..?
are you running retroarch from within the x environment or from the command line out the traditional GUI interface?

n1ko

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:44 am

abishur wrote: are you running retroarch from within the x environment or from the command line out the traditional GUI interface?
I installed it via the RetroPie script, which I think launches games from the CLI after selecting them from EmulationStation. Used the option to get the newest version from the repos.

Maybe there's some upscaling etc. that's eating cpu? I'm outputting 1080p via hdmi, maybe a vga-mode could help? Disabling sounds helped of course, cpu usage dropped down to ~60%, mut I would like to keep the sounds of course :) The most bugging thing to me is that there's really no difference between NES and SNES -games in cpu usage and I think there should be.

Judging from the answers; A 1Ghz rpi should be ok to run nes and snes games?

Also; Is there a better way to exit games via gamepad than the input_exit_emulator_btn -setting? My gamepad doesn't really have any extra buttons so a compo (like pressing start+select at the same time) would be ideal

abishur

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:12 pm

n1ko wrote:
abishur wrote: are you running retroarch from within the x environment or from the command line out the traditional GUI interface?
I installed it via the RetroPie script, which I think launches games from the CLI after selecting them from EmulationStation. Used the option to get the newest version from the repos.

Maybe there's some upscaling etc. that's eating cpu? I'm outputting 1080p via hdmi, maybe a vga-mode could help? Disabling sounds helped of course, cpu usage dropped down to ~60%, mut I would like to keep the sounds of course :) The most bugging thing to me is that there's really no difference between NES and SNES -games in cpu usage and I think there should be.

Judging from the answers; A 1Ghz rpi should be ok to run nes and snes games?

Also; Is there a better way to exit games via gamepad than the input_exit_emulator_btn -setting? My gamepad doesn't really have any extra buttons so a compo (like pressing start+select at the same time) would be ideal
I have my pi overclocked to 800 Mhz (the option right before overvoltage) doing 1080p via hdmi as well. I had to do some fiddling with the SNES config file to get it to play right (I lowered the audio_out_rate to about 1000 I think), but I didn't have any issues with the NES emulator. I set my video to "GL" and "Audio" to "SDL" which seemed to help a little. I'm curious to know how you're seeing your CPU usage.

For your retroarch.cfg file, are you editing the the file in /etc/retroarch.cfg or making a unique one and specifying it to be called in ~/.emulationstation/es_config.cfg for each emulator core?

I'm wary of setting the pi to a full ghz at the moment as in my setup that seems to cause stability issues on my SD card, but trial and error right? ;-) At the moment Retroarch nor Emulationstation allow for composite key presses.

petrockblog

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:32 pm

n1ko wrote: For some reason the cpu usage is really high (95-100%) even on nes -games (same level on snes actually). The games arent totally fluid and i'm finding the sounds a bit weird (using hdmi and alsa setting in retroarch.cfg). I tried to change gl->vg, no difference and also alsa->sdl.
I had the problem that pulseaudio (that comes with the newest Raspbian image per default) causes a heavy CPU load when running RetroArch. I solved this by uninstalling pulseaudio via

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove -y pulseaudio
Maybe pulseaudio is also slowing down the system in your case ...
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

abishur

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:05 pm

petrockblog wrote:
n1ko wrote: For some reason the cpu usage is really high (95-100%) even on nes -games (same level on snes actually). The games arent totally fluid and i'm finding the sounds a bit weird (using hdmi and alsa setting in retroarch.cfg). I tried to change gl->vg, no difference and also alsa->sdl.
I had the problem that pulseaudio (that comes with the newest Raspbian image per default) causes a heavy CPU load when running RetroArch. I solved this by uninstalling pulseaudio via

Would that mess with anything if you specify a different audio in the cfg file? (If so would removing it mess with any other programs, such as XBMC?)

petrockblog

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:21 pm

abishur wrote:
petrockblog wrote:

Would that mess with anything if you specify a different audio in the cfg file? (If so would removing it mess with any other programs, such as XBMC?)
I use a dedicated RPi for emulation and I am not experiencing any negative side effects. However, I do not use XBMC or any other multimedia program so I just do not know if a missing PulseAudio component leads to any trouble. It would be interesting to know, though.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

n1ko

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Pulseaudio wasn't actually installed. Probably removed by retropie. This is a dedicated emulator too, so only latest raspbian + retropie setup. I am configuring RetroArch globally (so using the /etc/retroarch.cfg)

EDIT: seems that apt-get autoremove deleted some pulseaudio thingies. Now I am seeing 60-70% cpu usage on nes-games and they are pretty much perfect. Still 95-100% on SNES-games on sound is way off on all the games I tried (street fighter,2 killer instinct,donkey kong etc.)

What kind of cpu usage are you guys seeing with nes-games?

And I am monitoring it with top over ssh

Casty

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:57 am

n1ko wrote:Pulseaudio wasn't actually installed. Probably removed by retropie. This is a dedicated emulator too, so only latest raspbian + retropie setup. I am configuring RetroArch globally (so using the /etc/retroarch.cfg)

EDIT: seems that apt-get autoremove deleted some pulseaudio thingies. Now I am seeing 60-70% cpu usage on nes-games and they are pretty much perfect. Still 95-100% on SNES-games on sound is way off on all the games I tried (street fighter,2 killer instinct,donkey kong etc.)

What kind of cpu usage are you guys seeing with nes-games?

And I am monitoring it with top over ssh
NES games are around 60-85%. I get around 70-95% on SNES games. For the most part, games run pretty well with good sound with my set up, but I'm fiddling around to improve it. I tried your three you mentioned.

DK Country: Video 100%, Sound 95% (a couple blips once and awhile but very playable)
Super Street Fighter 2: Video 100%, Sound 90% (menu intro had choppy sound but gameplay was 100%)
Killer Instinct: 100% video and sound

Here are some settings I've found that have worked well for me so far.

Rasberry Pi Model B 512 MB (320/192/ split)
Overlock: 900mhz
/etc/retroarch.cfg note-worthy settings:

audio_out_rate = 44100
audio_driver = sdl 
rewind_enable = false
Extra tips:
  • Try asla if using HDMI audio for extra speed, but if you're using the 3.5 jack, use sdl or else you'll have super corrupted audio.
    For some reason this was enabled on my cfg, once I disabled it all emulation worked much better.
Right now, I'm really trying to get Super Mario RPG to work flawlessly, as I think it's one of the more demanding games on the system. Sound is a big issue for me here. I can't even load emulationstation with the 1ghz "turbo" mode overclock, it just hangs.

If anyone else has some tips for me to try to optimize the SNES emulator let me know, I'm willing to disable features if need be. ;)

Tasty

Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:05 pm

I am getting this error when i am trying to make it:

make: *** [gfx/gl.o] Error 1
how to fix that?

JohnT

Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Will a USB controller like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-USB-NES-C ... 002YVD3KM/

alebiasin

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi there, I'm back again but now with a problem. RetroArch works perfect but freezes the entire system after some minutes of playing MAME games (at random times, e.g.: 1.5 minutes, 4 minutes, 7 minutes, 11 minutes, etc.). After that I have to cycle power.
My RPi has 256MB, overclocked at 930MHz without overvolting, and I did a full update (firmware + software) today with no noticeable improvements.
I use HDMI output for audio and video on my 42" TV.
I installed the emulators with RetroPie script (a while ago).
Main power is a 700mA cellphone charger.
I also (sometimes) monitor CPU and memory usage, temperature and clock speed during game playing through an SSH terminal. Everything seems normal but it freezes either way.

I tried:
  • Memory splits of 192/64 and 128/128.
  • With (audio_out_rate = 44100) and without audio.
  • GL video not working for me. Shows a black screen, so I'm using the default.
I would really appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks all.

P.S: Is there a way of seeing a crash log after booting up?
Alex

gawlor

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi there,
I also have some issues with my controllers:

I have 2 controllers working, but in some games they have a strange behaviour. For example in Donkey Kong I can play a 2-Player Game but, for the second controller to work i have to hold down a button of the first controller all the time. So the first controller more or less works like a "on-off" switch for the second controller.
Mario Kart works fine, both controllers work independently.
Mario Allstars can only be played with the second controller, first one doesnt work...

My first thought was, that it is a problem with the configuration of RetroArch , but as Mario Kart works perfektly, I think its a Problem with Bad Roms. Can anybody confirm my findings?

Fingayn

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:41 pm

I have the same problem with 2 controllers. I only tested Bomberman, but the behavior is exactly the same: 2nd controller only works, when any button on the first controller is pressed. Haven't found a solution yet :-/
At first I thought it may be a problem with xboxdrv handling the wireless gamepads wrong, but Mario Kart for example works perfect with 2 controllers / players.

mikie

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi,

Just a general question regarding MAME (imame4all) with RetroPie...

I'm guessing the standalone imame4all, being based on MAME0.37, should a config file "mame.ini" to hold its general settings. Does this still apply for the libretro build of imame4all? If not, where is the mame config stored?

Many thanks,
Mike

kainhero

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:13 pm

gawlor wrote:Hi there,
I also have some issues with my controllers:

I have 2 controllers working, but in some games they have a strange behaviour. For example in Donkey Kong I can play a 2-Player Game but, for the second controller to work i have to hold down a button of the first controller all the time. So the first controller more or less works like a "on-off" switch for the second controller.
Mario Kart works fine, both controllers work independently.
Mario Allstars can only be played with the second controller, first one doesnt work...

My first thought was, that it is a problem with the configuration of RetroArch , but as Mario Kart works perfektly, I think its a Problem with Bad Roms. Can anybody confirm my findings?

How do you set up a second controller, i used the config script but it only lets you configure the main one. I have 2 nes USB controllers.

alebiasin

Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:01 am

alebiasin wrote:Hi there, I'm back again but now with a problem. RetroArch works perfect but freezes the entire system after some minutes of playing MAME games (at random times, e.g.: 1.5 minutes, 4 minutes, 7 minutes, 11 minutes, etc.). After that I have to cycle power.
My RPi has 256MB, overclocked at 930MHz without overvolting, and I did a full update (firmware + software) today with no noticeable improvements.
I use HDMI output for audio and video on my 42" TV.
I installed the emulators with RetroPie script (a while ago).
Main power is a 700mA cellphone charger.
I also (sometimes) monitor CPU and memory usage, temperature and clock speed during game playing through an SSH terminal. Everything seems normal but it freezes either way.

I tried:
  • Memory splits of 192/64 and 128/128.
  • With (audio_out_rate = 44100) and without audio.
  • GL video not working for me. Shows a black screen, so I'm using the default.
I would really appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks all.

P.S: Is there a way of seeing a crash log after booting up?
Replying to my own post so others don't get stuck for weeks, my solution was to decrease the overclock setting to 800MHz. My RPi has been running retroarch for hours now. :D
Alex

Kazp123

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:19 am

can I play 2 player with the keyboard :D

CPOKashue

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:22 pm

How do you set up a second controller, i used the config script but it only lets you configure the main one. I have 2 nes USB controllers.
You need to copy your controller settings for player 1 in .retroarch.cfg then change all the parts of the copied lines to be about player 2. That's all I did and it worked fine. As in the post above I am using 2 USB NES controllers.

Return to “Gaming”