fidoboulettes
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: Limelight Pi

Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi everybody,
before posting my problem, I would likr to apologize me for my bad english... (I'm french... sorry... :roll: ).
So,

I've installed the last version of Limelight on a fresh Raspbian in a RPI 512mb.
My Pc have the last version of GFE (2.2.2).

I can pair the PI with GFE and can launch steam with this functiun:
java -jar limelight.jar stream 192.XXX.XXX.XXX
It's work well and quickly.
I can see the game who are installed in my pc (for example FIFA 15)
But if I want to execute it, limelight return me this message:
java -jar limelight.jar EA Sports™ FIFA 15 192.168.10.101
Syntax error: invalid action specified

I've tried with -EA Sports™ FIFA 15, with -app EA Sports™ FIFA 15 with app EA Sports™ FIFA 15 and with -EA Sports™ FIFA 15... but no effects.... same message....
So i'm lost and need help....

Thank's for an answers.
Regards

gforced
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:23 pm

Re: Limelight Pi

Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:36 pm

ScoobyDoo, has the 1.2.1 version resolved the xbox360 sound stuttering for you?
what other enhancements have you seen from this update?

SaturdayInTheFart
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:23 pm

Re: Limelight Pi

Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:37 am

Anyone having an issue with TWO wired Xbox (for Windows) controllers reading as the same input?

When I start up Limelight and load up a game (in both examples: Mortal Kombat and Nidhogg), my keyboard shows up as "Player 1" and both controllers read as "Player 2".

I've installed both controllers correctly (the xbox rings on both controllers read as "1" and "2") and updated to the newest version of Limelight, but the issue still persists.

Any suggestions?

I also had the idea that Limelight was reading all available inputs upon launching and giving the mouse/keyboard priority to be Input1 and the controllers as Input2 (the logic isn't sound here, but I don't have much to go on...). I tried to resolve this by launching Limelight with the "-input" command and launching only the mouse (for navigation in some games) and the two controllers, but it was a total bust.

Any help would be appreciated :D

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 pm
Location: Staffordshire, UK

Re: Limelight Pi

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:22 am

gforced wrote:ScoobyDoo, has the 1.2.1 version resolved the xbox360 sound stuttering for you?
what other enhancements have you seen from this update?
I've never had any sound stuttering issues for the last few builds but my xbox controller is plugged into my pc and not directly into the pi

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 pm
Location: Staffordshire, UK

Re: Limelight Pi

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:23 am

Wonder if the pi 2 will make a big performance difference to how limelight runs?

I've got a pi 2 on order, will we need a totally different build for it to run?

kamesan
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Limelight Pi

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:57 am

Anyone figure out the "pairstate?" error? Been using the limelight-pi 1.2.1 and when trying to pair with pc it just comes back with the pi addresss and computer address:

pair http://<ip of steam host>:47989/pairstate?uniqueid=<MAC of Raspberry Pi>

kamesan
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Limelight Pi

Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:20 am

Ended up using an older version of limelight pi instead of the limelight-pi.jar on git. Everything loads and streams up to trying to run a game from steam. It acts like it's going to load and then takes me back to the launcher screen and says I played the game 1 minute ago.

kamesan
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Limelight Pi

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:18 pm

Got further again and it's all working now over wifi. Using a previous version of limelight from git and all updated drivers.

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 pm
Location: Staffordshire, UK

Re: Limelight Pi

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Got my pi 2 up and running with limelight.
Its streaming much smoother, no sound stutters at all, vast improvement and I guess things may get even better as I'm not sure if all 4 cores are being used or not.
waiting to hear from the developer on this one.

brianstormi
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:33 am

Re: Limelight Pi

Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:34 am

Could anybody confirm if raspberry pi 2 is able to stream at 1080p 60fps smoothly?

kamesan
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Limelight Pi

Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:41 am

Everyone having questions or issues with controller setup I researched and personally used this site to get it working just a few minutes ago.

http://embedded-software-architecture.c ... spberry_Pi

spid303
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:33 pm

Re: Limelight Pi

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:47 pm

brianstormi wrote:Could anybody confirm if raspberry pi 2 is able to stream at 1080p 60fps smoothly?
I just got a couple of pi 2's and have tried to get it to run smoothly at 1080p 60fps but no luck yet, looking at CPU and memory it all seems fine, no high load or usage of cpu/memory..
It looks like the java process takes up around 25% when there is high motion in 30fps 1080p.
I did an iperf test to a vm and got 95.1 Mbits/sec so that would be plenty for the streaming of video I belive.

What i noticed when trying out 60fps 1080 was it felt "ok-ish" first seconds and then started to get a long delay from what whas displayed on the pc and the pi2 on the tv.

The pi2 was overclocked to "pi2" setting of 1ghz and 256 mb memory split to GPU.
One wireless xbox 360 controller connected (also tried connecting it to the pc but no diffrence.) 1 USB keyboard connected to start the stream.

I'm really puzzled to what is causing the lag..

barrybarryk
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: Limelight Pi

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:07 pm

spid303 wrote:I just got a couple of pi 2's and have tried to get it to run smoothly at 1080p 60fps but no luck yet, looking at CPU and memory it all seems fine, no high load or usage of cpu/memory..
It looks like the java process takes up around 25% when there is high motion in 30fps 1080p.
That sounds an awful lot like it's single threaded and maxing out the core.

spid303
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:33 pm

Re: Limelight Pi

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:44 pm

barrybarryk wrote:
spid303 wrote:I just got a couple of pi 2's and have tried to get it to run smoothly at 1080p 60fps but no luck yet, looking at CPU and memory it all seems fine, no high load or usage of cpu/memory..
It looks like the java process takes up around 25% when there is high motion in 30fps 1080p.
That sounds an awful lot like it's single threaded and maxing out the core.
It does actually when you say it out loud :o so i checked and it looks like it actually uses all cores.. more or less..

I did check in top with the " P = Last Used Cpu (SMP)" and it mostly sticks with one core but sometimes flips..

Also tried with ps and that looks like it uses all cores too (PSR value).. if someone has a better way of checking please tell.

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ ps -ef |grep java
pi        2439  2438 28 23:38 tty1     00:00:27 java -jar limelight.jar stream -1080 -60fps -mapping xbox.map steambox

[email protected] ~ $ ps -p 2439 -L -o pid,tid,psr,pcpu
  PID   TID PSR %CPU
 2439  2439   3  0.0
 2439  2440   3  4.7
 2439  2441   3  0.4
 2439  2442   1  0.0
 2439  2443   3  0.0
 2439  2444   1  0.0
 2439  2445   2  1.4
 2439  2446   1  0.0
 2439  2447   2  0.1
 2439  2450   1  0.0
 2439  2451   3  0.0
 2439  2452   0  0.0
 2439  2454   2  0.0
 2439  2456   2  0.0
 2439  2457   3  0.6
 2439  2458   2  0.0
 2439  2459   3  0.5
 2439  2460   1  0.0
 2439  2461   1  0.0
 2439  2462   1  0.0
 2439  2463   3  0.3
 2439  2464   3  0.3
 2439  2465   3  2.2
 2439  2466   0  3.4
 2439  2467   2  0.0
 2439  2468   0 11.1
 2439  2469   1  1.5
 2439  2470   1  0.0
 2439  2471   1  0.0
EDIT: Also tried setting GPU mem to 512 mb but same delay.. yes i would call it delay, no real stuttering and no problem with sound, maybe i should have said that before also :)

Myke
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: Limelight Pi

Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:05 pm

First off all this is an awesome project and I was quite astonished at the quality I got when I got it to work - for a while.
The issue that I have is remarkably similar to the one described in https://github.com/irtimmer/limelight-e ... /issues/36
(But the solution was to wait for a steam update which apparently solved the issue - not for me though.)

Everything works great, streaming starts, I see the big picture mode of steam and can even navigate it without problems. Then, after 30 seconds to 1 minute I get the error message below.

Code: Select all

 sudo java -jar limelight.jar stream 192.168.x.xx
Starting Steam
Starting RTSP handshake
Starting control connection
Starting video stream
Starting audio stream
Starting input connection

... some time later...

java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:109)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:153)
        at com.limelight.nvstream.control.ControlStream$NvCtlPacket.write(Unknown Source)
        at com.limelight.nvstream.control.ControlStream.sendPacket(Unknown Source)
        at com.limelight.nvstream.control.ControlStream.sendLossStats(Unknown Source)
        at com.limelight.nvstream.control.ControlStream.access$000(Unknown Source)
        at com.limelight.nvstream.control.ControlStream$1.run(Unknown Source)
java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
        at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.receive0(Native Method)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.receive(AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.java:143)
        at java.net.DatagramSocket.receive(DatagramSocket.java:781)
        at com.limelight.nvstream.av.video.VideoStream$1.run(Unknown Source)
java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
        at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.receive0(Native Method)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.receive(AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.java:143)
        at java.net.DatagramSocket.receive(DatagramSocket.java:781)
        at com.limelight.nvstream.av.audio.AudioStream$2.run(Unknown Source)
Connection Terminated The connection failed unexpectedly
Have everything up-to-date as far as I know:
fresh raspbian install (EDIT: also happens with raspbmc, just tested it, same error)
GFE 2.2.2.0
Current GF driver
Steam beta

Could the connection be a cause? My pi1 b+ is currently connected via cable while my host pc is working via wlan. Any ideas what might be causing this? Am I the only one with that problem?

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 pm
Location: Staffordshire, UK

Re: Limelight Pi

Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:47 pm

That error your getting is because your loosing the connection between the pi and your host pc
It looks like it's a network issue.

Have you tried running wirhout steam with the - app
Option? You could also try lowering the bitrate to see if it's because the pi is getting overloaded on the ethernet port.

JMann
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:48 am

Re: Limelight Pi

Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:13 am

Hi,

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who has worked hard on Limelight Pi. It'll be a great addition to my couch entertainment setup.

However, I'm having an issue with audio, and I'm at a loss at this point. Pretty much everything else is running without any visible latency, with no video issues. I initially couldn't get any audio at all, but after much tweaking, I was eventually able to get some audio to play from my TV setup (it always played from my PC).

Unfortunately, only a select few games seem to support audio. The games that I do hear sound flawless (Metro: Last Light, Alien Isolation, etc.), but older games (like Fallout: New Vegas, Sonic Adventure, etc.) still only play audio from my PC. The TV is just a silent but otherwise perfect video stream. Nvidia says that Fallout is supported for streaming, by the way, if that means anything.

Additional details:

All of my drivers are up to date; the newest libopus.so file is adjacent to Limelight in the directory.

Newest Raspberry Pi 2 running Raspbian, GTX 760 and an i7 in the host machine, ethernet connection.

The Steam Big Picture ambient noise never plays...

Not sure what other information could be helpful. I'm generally a noob with Linux so forgive me.

Any help with troubleshooting is much appreciated.
-JMann

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 pm
Location: Staffordshire, UK

Re: Limelight Pi

Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:07 pm

How are you passing audio to your TV? Via hdmi or the analog output?
If it's hdmi see if you can get analog working, if you can then you may need to tweak the boot config file to get hdmi output working correctly.
If one game works then there's no reason why another shouldn't

Myke
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: Limelight Pi

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:36 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:Have you tried running wirhout steam with the - app
Option? You could also try lowering the bitrate to see if it's because the pi is getting overloaded on the ethernet port.
Thank you very much for your input! The "-app" version does indeed seem to work - I can open a game and "play" and it seems to work at least longer than a few minutes (even over wlan).

A few caveats, since I currently not have the time to test this thorougly:
-) Only tested on raspbmc, which doesnt work that well - so I'm pretty confident it will work on raspbian
-) Framerate and such is really low, but I have not tried lowering resolution / fps / bitrate => that should help a lot on that I suppose


So if that really solves the problem, then why doesn't steam itself work? I mean I don't care about it, really, but it seems a steam / GFE issue then?

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 pm
Location: Staffordshire, UK

Re: Limelight Pi

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:09 pm

Myke wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:Have you tried running wirhout steam with the - app
Option? You could also try lowering the bitrate to see if it's because the pi is getting overloaded on the ethernet port.
Thank you very much for your input! The "-app" version does indeed seem to work - I can open a game and "play" and it seems to work at least longer than a few minutes (even over wlan).

A few caveats, since I currently not have the time to test this thorougly:
-) Only tested on raspbmc, which doesnt work that well - so I'm pretty confident it will work on raspbian
-) Framerate and such is really low, but I have not tried lowering resolution / fps / bitrate => that should help a lot on that I suppose


So if that really solves the problem, then why doesn't steam itself work? I mean I don't care about it, really, but it seems a steam / GFE issue then?
It works perfect on Raspbian, thats what im running it on.
Framerate should be virtually the same as your PC but ive found that dropping down the resolution on the PC does help it to stream better and give a better framerate without loosing too much quality.

JMann
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:48 am

Re: Limelight Pi

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:09 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:How are you passing audio to your TV? Via hdmi or the analog output?
If it's hdmi see if you can get analog working, if you can then you may need to tweak the boot config file to get hdmi output working correctly.
If one game works then there's no reason why another shouldn't
Hi Scooby,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm using HDMI to pass audio through. I've already added

Code: Select all

hdmi_drive=2
to the boot config.

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
and

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
were already in there. I've forced it to use HDMI with

Code: Select all

amixer cset numid=3 2
and I've verified that PulseAudio is not installed.

I seem to recall checking before that plugging headphones into the analogue jack didn't help. Maybe I'll give it another try but I can't think of anything that would've changed it.

Thanks,
- JMann

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 pm
Location: Staffordshire, UK

Re: Limelight Pi

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:40 pm

JMann wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:How are you passing audio to your TV? Via hdmi or the analog output?
If it's hdmi see if you can get analog working, if you can then you may need to tweak the boot config file to get hdmi output working correctly.
If one game works then there's no reason why another shouldn't
Hi Scooby,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm using HDMI to pass audio through. I've already added

Code: Select all

hdmi_drive=2
to the boot config.

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
and

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
were already in there. I've forced it to use HDMI with

Code: Select all

amixer cset numid=3 2
and I've verified that PulseAudio is not installed.

I seem to recall checking before that plugging headphones into the analogue jack didn't help. Maybe I'll give it another try but I can't think of anything that would've changed it.

Thanks,
- JMann
This might sound daft but make sure youve got the sound output on high.. Use alsamixer to configure the output.
Just type alsamixer into raspbian and it will bring up the relevant program and then use the up arrow to increase sound.

JMann
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:48 am

Re: Limelight Pi

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:04 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
This might sound daft but make sure youve got the sound output on high.. Use alsamixer to configure the output.
Just type alsamixer into raspbian and it will bring up the relevant program and then use the up arrow to increase sound.
Yeah. I verified that alsamixer has the sound output where it needs to be.

I also got an XBox controller set up today, and it works fine and doesn't cause any problems. The audio is still great for the games that work. Still no sound at all from the games that don't.

I'm not sure if this could cause an issue, but my host PC's soundcard has an audio mixer that I use. The card is an ASUS Xonar DGX.

Update: Steam Big Picture plays incoming message noises through the TV now. But still none of the menu ambient noise.

Update 2: All fixed. I had to disable the sound playback devices on my host PC. It seems the program was getting confused and wasn't streaming audio, but just allowing it to play on the host.

razielxx
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:15 pm

Re: Limelight Pi

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:20 pm

I have a GTX 960, Raspberry Pi 2 ans GeForce Experience 2.2.2. All I get when I try to list PCs is the following:

Image

I do not know what I am doing wrong. I have tried a fresh install of Raspbian 4 times. Any advice?

Myke
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: Limelight Pi

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:52 pm

razielxx wrote:I have a GTX 960, Raspberry Pi 2 ans GeForce Experience 2.2.2. All I get when I try to list PCs is the following:
I'm by no means an expert but read the instructions on https://github.com/irtimmer/limelight-embedded carefully. I think the "list" action requires you to 1) pair the pi and the host pc and then 2) use the "list" action with the host-ip specified, i.e.
java -jar limelight.jar list xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
replacing the x's with the ip of your host pc. It then lists the applications you can stream from that specific host pc (using -app).

If you want to search for pcs capable of streaming you should probably use the "discover" action instead, although I have never tried that myself.

-------------------
On a side note, regarding my own question for the beginning of the month: I fixed all of my problems by actually using -app "Stream Client Bootstrapper" as application to launch. It launches normal steam (not the big picture mode, which still crashes after 1 minute) which works nicely and quite stable - I can then start games from there.
Still unsure why the big picture mode itself doesn't work!

Return to “Gaming”