CoDi

Re: Limelight Pi

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:07 pm

irtimmer wrote:
RemusCrow wrote:i just have no video. all i see is the console.
One of my commits had broken video output. So if you used a self compiled version that would propably the cause. At least I have now released a new version which contains fixes from limelight-common and has support for gamepad (not tested because I don't own one). You now also don't have to specify al your input devices and it defaults now to 720p60.
So far I've not been able to get video working. I'm using the latest Raspian image, everything is updated. I followed all instructions I found, though the Oracle JVM was reported as already installed with 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian. Pairing works, so does connecting. The PC boots into the Steam menu, but on the Pi it just keeps sitting in the console (and it seems doing something, with some occasional sound-out-of-sync messages) without ever switching into some video mode.

I tried all different releases from v0.1 to v0.3, on two different RPi (256, 512 MB). Even tried it on different displays, with a 1080p TV and via the Motorola lapdock Davesp1ce uses in his video. Funny is that I get audio(!) with v0.1 and v0.2 (but not v0.3), yet still no video.

I tried to pair with my Nexus 7 (limelight-android), and this one is working. So I *assume* the PC/Steam part isn't the issue. The PC is detected as a i7 @ 3.07 GHz with a 670GTX by the Geforce Experience tool. The only thing I miss compared to what I've seen in some Youtube videos is a SHIELD/streaming icon in the "My Rig" tab.

ferjeezy

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Works very well over LAN for me with composite video. One thing I've thought is really cool is the proxy method that was used here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2435481

Does anyone know how we could go about implementing this for gaming on a seperate network?

Spartan304

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:53 pm

I launched the jar using the -pair option followed by the IP of my steam host however I receive an error after a few seconds stating "Pair Server returned HTTP response code: 500 for URL: http://<ip of steam host>:47989/pairstate?uniqueid=<MAC of Raspberry Pi>" and no pairing request shows up on GFE. I have successfully paired Limelight PC and Limelight Android to my gaming rig so I'm pretty sure the issue is on the Raspberry Pi end. Any thoughts?

irtimmer

Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:34 pm

CoDi wrote: I tried all different releases from v0.1 to v0.3, on two different RPi (256, 512 MB). Even tried it on different displays, with a 1080p TV and via the Motorola lapdock Davesp1ce uses in his video. Funny is that I get audio(!) with v0.1 and v0.2 (but not v0.3), yet still no video.
It's a little bit difficult to debug as their are no error messages. All that I can think of is that you are running X and therefore block the video output.

Version 0.3 propably give no audio because I switched from using the java sound library to alsa directly. (You could try to fix this with installing libasound2-dev)
ferjeezy wrote:Works very well over LAN for me with composite video. One thing I've thought is really cool is the proxy method that was used here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2435481

Does anyone know how we could go about implementing this for gaming on a seperate network?
As Limelight Pi doesn't use mDNS and don't care about incoming port their is no need for a proxy server and it should just work from a seperate network as long as the ports are not blocked.

13i11

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:08 pm

Hi. Cool project.
I had this almost working on my 660ti then geforce experience updated driver and I haven't got video since. I confirmed same problem on all versions of limelight so I'm pretty sure nvidia did something. Sure hope they aren't trying to make there streaming only work with the shield.
Edit: Installed new geforce drivers and got video again. Picture isn't completely full screen though. I think it may be related to my display since it uses an odd resolution 854x400 (optoma projector).

gh0stpirate

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:46 am

Please someone help, as of this date, freshly installed raspian, installed all required libs and dev libs, grabbed the 0.3 jar, using oracle java, booting to command line, tested streaming with my phone, zero issues.

Here's whats going on:
pairing without issue,
executing using: sudo java -jar limelight-pi.jar $INTERNAL IP ADDRESS

launches no problem, comparing side by side looking at streaming pc, almost ZERO lag, amazingly perfect, however
NO sound and NO video on the pi.
(also installed alsa dev libs for sound)

someone please help!
even if someone can upload an image of a working installation, i dont care about desktop or password details etc, i'd love to build a standalone version. i have a 8gb sdhc card available for this.
pretty please help?

blc

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:53 pm

irtimmer wrote:Limelight Pi is a client (written in Java with JNI bindings for decoding) for Nvidia Gamestream. You can use it to stream games from your computer to your Raspberry Pi. It's port of Limelight PC which is available on https://github.com/limelight-stream/limelight-pc. It uses the hardware for video decoding and the cpu for audio decoding (The opus codec is currently unsupported by the hardware).

...remaining post trimmed...
...You sir, win the internet.

I've been very interested in Nvidia remote streaming tech - to the point where I considered getting Nvidia Shield - and I had no idea that the Pi would be capable of it. I don't currently have a compatible graphics card, but I will in just under a couple of months. I'm upgrading to a bit of a monster gaming PC soon which will be running a GTX 770; I had planned to use donor parts from my current machine to build a "lounge gaming PC", but having the option of streaming to the Pi is a completely new ball game.

Does this support 1080p at all? Has anyone dared to test it over WiFi? My new machine will be capable of playing pretty much anything you throw at, so it would be a shame if I could only stream at up to 720p. Even at only 720p though it does open up a whole host of new options for the handheld gaming Pi concept I've been dancing around for months...

Spartan304

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Ok well I worked out my initial issues now I'm running into another. I have HDMI audio and can hear audio from Raspbian with no issues however I get no audio from Limelight. I checked through the "Configure Elsa" page but the author states that what he is doing is for the Stereo 3.5mm output and not for HDMI. So my question is, has anyone gotten HDMI audio to work with this and if so, how?

irtimmer

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:55 pm

Maybe http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... plications could help or I just have broken audio support in the last release for Raspbian.

rochyroch

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:30 am

I'm having exactly the same problem as Spartan304,
The Raspberry Pi's audio via HDMI is setup correctly as i can play stereo .wav files no problem.
I have spent quite a few hours trying different alsa settings & various Pi settings like:-
amixer cset numid=3 2
hdmi_drive=2
but i just can not get Limelight audio through HDMI.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone involved in this project / ports, it's some great work. thanks.

irtimmer

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:50 pm

I have finally got a new SD card so I could start testing on Raspbian. Unfortunately almost everything works flawlessly in a clean install (working video and working audio). If audio stops working in v0.3 you probably have installed Pulseaudio. So remove Pulseaudio if sound is not working (as was mentioned in the posted link http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... pulseaudio )

ferjeezy

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Like I said earlier, 0.3 works very well. The only bug I've had is with an Xbox controller. I'm using xbox-drv. I already fixed the reverse axis for both of the sticks but for some reason I can't get the triggers and dpad to work. I get input in xbox-drv but they arent working in Limelight for some reason. I've already tried --trigger-as-button and --dpad-as-button.

dotdrew

Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:24 am

Love the program, managed to get it working sans sound output after a little bit of fiddling and I think I might have fixed that now just need to give it another go.

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if it's possible to run the program with the PC and Raspberry Pi directly connected to each other, as opposed to be both being connected to a router? I'm sure that I read somewhere that the program can be launched with java -jar limelight-pi.jar NameOfPC instead of the internal IP address. This is because of the specific networking set up I have in the accommodation I live in.

Thanks in advance.

irtimmer

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:57 pm

I have released version 0.4 of Limelight Pi. Video latency is again improved and there are some bugs fixed in audio and gamepad code. There is also added some code to notify users about wrong Java version and running of X which both have a huge impact on latency.

sacha16

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:53 pm

CoDi wrote:
irtimmer wrote:
RemusCrow wrote:i just have no video. all i see is the console.
One of my commits had broken video output. So if you used a self compiled version that would propably the cause. At least I have now released a new version which contains fixes from limelight-common and has support for gamepad (not tested because I don't own one). You now also don't have to specify al your input devices and it defaults now to 720p60.
So far I've not been able to get video working. I'm using the latest Raspian image, everything is updated. I followed all instructions I found, though the Oracle JVM was reported as already installed with 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian. Pairing works, so does connecting. The PC boots into the Steam menu, but on the Pi it just keeps sitting in the console (and it seems doing something, with some occasional sound-out-of-sync messages) without ever switching into some video mode.

I tried all different releases from v0.1 to v0.3, on two different RPi (256, 512 MB). Even tried it on different displays, with a 1080p TV and via the Motorola lapdock Davesp1ce uses in his video. Funny is that I get audio(!) with v0.1 and v0.2 (but not v0.3), yet still no video.

I tried to pair with my Nexus 7 (limelight-android), and this one is working. So I *assume* the PC/Steam part isn't the issue. The PC is detected as a i7 @ 3.07 GHz with a 670GTX by the Geforce Experience tool. The only thing I miss compared to what I've seen in some Youtube videos is a SHIELD/streaming icon in the "My Rig" tab.
I'm having your same problem. Audio is working (i can hear menù sounds), Video is not working. PC boots to steam big picture, and the PI is stuck on the tty.
No X sessions are runnig.

if a play a mkv with omgplayer i get the video output
Really have no idea.

Code: Select all

java version "1.7.0_40"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_40-b43)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.0-b56, mixed mode)

Raspbian GNU/Linux 7 \n \l
/etc/debian_version

Linux 420nix 3.10.30+ #642 PREEMPT Fri Feb 21 17:33:42 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

Yesterday the stream was working (very laggy but working) today i performed a rpi-update and apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, and it's not working. I just run out of ideas...

Thank you

irtimmer

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:56 pm

Please don't run rpi-update. It will update your firmware and kernel without updating your libraries. And in some cases this will result in some mismatching and therefore broken video and/or audio. Raspbian also provides it's own version (mostly older) of the firmware in the package raspberrypi-bootloader. Which is more stable and have a higher chance of working correctly with the rest of the operating system.

sacha16

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:31 am

irtimmer wrote:Please don't run rpi-update. It will update your firmware and kernel without updating your libraries. And in some cases this will result in some mismatching and therefore broken video and/or audio. Raspbian also provides it's own version (mostly older) of the firmware in the package raspberrypi-bootloader. Which is more stable and have a higher chance of working correctly with the rest of the operating system.

Thank you,

so i'll need to perform a apt-get install raspberrypi-bootloader to restore the older, and correct, firmware?
The only other solution is to reinstall the whole OS.

P.S: limelight-pi is a great job, keep it going ;)

syc0n

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:20 am

Limelight works nearly perfect for me. I'm streaming with 1080p and 60fps without any lags or delays but I have strange sound effects. I'm also getting these effects with 720p and 30fps.
With aplay I get a clear sound without any strange noise.

Is there someone having the same problems or does know a solution?

My pi is connected to an Smart TV via HDMI which is connected to an AV-Receiver.
The same problem occurs if I connect the pi directly to the AV-Receiver.

resuomrebu

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:13 pm

sacha16 wrote:
I'm having your same problem. Audio is working (i can hear menù sounds), Video is not working. PC boots to steam big picture, and the PI is stuck on the tty.

Really have no idea.

java version "1.7.0_40"

/etc/debian_version

Linux 420nix 3.10.30+ #642 PREEMPT Fri Feb 21 17:33:42 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

Yesterday the stream was working (very laggy but working) today i performed a rpi-update and apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, and it's not working. I just run out of ideas...

Thank you
Would you please report back with what you did in order to get video working on your r-pi, if you do get it working?

I'm in the same boat as you I think - omxplayer works perfectly as does playing an audio file through alsa, but I get nothing but terminal output from limelight-pi with either component out or HDMI out. I've verified that streaming from the host computer at 1080p/60fps functions adequately by testing limelight-win32 on another pc.

Is there some /boot/config.txt setting or framebuffer configuration that needs to be performed? What packages, other than java and alsa + their dependencies, are on the pi being used to develop the application?

sacha16

Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:54 am

resuomrebu wrote:
sacha16 wrote:

Really have no idea.

java version "1.7.0_40"

/etc/debian_version

Thank you
Would you please report back with what you did in order to get video working on your r-pi, if you do get it working?

I'm in the same boat as you I think - omxplayer works perfectly as does playing an audio file through alsa, but I get nothing but terminal output from limelight-pi with either component out or HDMI out. I've verified that streaming from the host computer at 1080p/60fps functions adequately by testing limelight-win32 on another pc.

Is there some /boot/config.txt setting or framebuffer configuration that needs to be performed? What packages, other than java and alsa + their dependencies, are on the pi being used to develop the application?
If you read carefully you can see that my pi is not working too.
Yesterday i tried to update/reinstall the "raspberrypi-bootloader" package but nothing has happened.
This evening i'm gonna reinstall the whole OS from scratch, and it's gonna work (i hope). Did you performed a rpi-update too? If you don't have big configurations on your pi try to reinstall it from scratch and follow the guide lines of this topic.

irtimmer

Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:51 pm

Newer versions of the firmware (somewhere after 20140107) are more restrictive in accepted videostreams. So don't update it to a later version as it will break video output. I can fix it but it would hurt the latency a lot. So hopefully I soon will be able to workaround this issue.

If someone is able to help it would be appreciated. Problem is caused by setting BITSTREAM_RESTRICTIONS in OmxDecoderRenderer.

Jessie

Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:53 pm

Have you sent a PM to jamesh or dom they may be able to advise you as to alturnatives.

irtimmer

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:24 pm

I think I have found the problem so the next version of Limelight Pi will propably work correct on newer firmware versions.

Robbi373

Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:13 pm

Hello,
I get this Error:

pi@RobinPi ~ $ sudo java -jar limelight-pi.jar -720 192.168.x.x
Starting app
Starting handshake
Starting control connection
Starting video stream
java.lang.IllegalStateException: AVC decoder initialization failure: -4
at com.limelight.binding.video.OmxDecoderRenderer.setup(Unknown Source)
at com.limelight.nvstream.av.video.VideoStream.setupDecoderRenderer(Unknown Source)
at com.limelight.nvstream.av.video.VideoStream.startVideoStream(Unknown Source)
at com.limelight.nvstream.NvConnection.startVideoStream(Unknown Source)
at com.limelight.nvstream.NvConnection.establishConnection(Unknown Source)
at com.limelight.nvstream.NvConnection.access$300(Unknown Source)
at com.limelight.nvstream.NvConnection$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)
AVC decoder initialization failure: -4
*** glibc detected *** java: double free or corruption (!prev): 0x00dc45f8 ***

Anyone has this too?

irtimmer

Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:04 am

AVC decoder initialization failure: -4 indicates the video decoder couldn't be initialized. This is propably caused by a wrong memory split. If that won't fix the problem try to play a video with omxplayer as it will propably give some more error information.

Return to “Gaming”