antiriad

My Advance Menu setup

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi!
I'd like to share my Advance Menu setup on rPi (thank you welshy for your support!)

I removed the bottom bar 'cause I can't understand how to fill it (I see only "none", "name", "snap"). All previews are animated MNG downloaded from official site.

I don't like too much the fact that terminal history is visible during the load of emulators or games... maybe there is a way (via advancemenu.rc or editing source code) to run the "clear" command (that cleans up the screen) each time that Advance Menu invokes an emulator?

Thank you!

welshy

Re: My Advance Menu setup

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:57 pm

antiriad wrote:All previews are animated MNG downloaded from official site.
So they are not 'Snapshots' Tiles but animated mng files? Where did you download them from?
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

antiriad

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:18 pm

welshy wrote:
antiriad wrote:All previews are animated MNG downloaded from official site.
So they are not 'Snapshots' Tiles but animated mng files? Where did you download them from?
From here (bottom of the page)

http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/menu-download.html

The archives has both the MNG (for video) and MP3 (for audio) but I've deleted MP3 files 'cause I could not reproduce them with a good quality in AdvanceMenu.
If you like the style, of course I can share my advancemenu.rc, background and so on.

If you find a way to reproduce correctly MP3 audio files in AdvanceMenu and/or to enable the "clear" command before invoking an emulator (to avoid the view of terminal history before loading a game) please let me know. :)

P.S. Please when you have time take a look to the last posts in PiFBA thread... thanks :oops:

welshy

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:39 pm

antitrade
I'm not sure you can eliminate it, but it can be reduced, here's how

Edit the boot cmdline
Type - sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt

It should display
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait

Add 'quiet' to the end of the script
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait quiet

Then Left Ctrl and x, y (yes) to over right, Enter to save

Now on load the boot text will be 'minimal' (but it wont be eradicated completely). You can always run a video to 'hide' it on boot

antiriad

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:53 pm

welshy wrote:antitrade
I'm not sure you can eliminate it, but it can be reduced, here's how

Edit the boot cmdline
Type - sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt

It should display
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait

Add 'quiet' to the end of the script
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait quiet

Then Left Ctrl and x, y (yes) to over right, Enter to save

Now on load the boot text will be 'minimal' but wont eradicate it completely
Thank you, but the problem is not only the boot text: both MAME4All Pi and PiFBA generate some text in terminal while running some games (internal verbose warnings, errors, etc.) and the same text remains visible while Advancemenu switch resolution before loading another emulator + rom.

I know there is an option (ui_gamesg) to show "Loading" (or another text) instead of showing the switching resolution, but the display_restoreatgame value needs to be turned off creating some display problems.
If every time AdvanceMenu runs an emulator it could be possible to run also the "clear" command (that cleans up the terminal screen) it would be perfect (eg: "clear & ./mame dkong")
So I tried to add it in the emulator line in advmenu.rc but without success.
In my opinion it can be done editing the AdvanceMenu source, but I don't know how or where (I'm not a developer).

bidinou

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:10 pm

antiriad : I would love if you could provide us with a little tutorial :-)

cacophony555

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:23 pm

antiriad, can you just redirect the output to /dev/null?

For example, instead of doing: ./fba2x rom.zip
do this: ./fba2x rom.zip > /dev/null 2>&1

It would need to be done every time you launch an emulator.

+1 on seeing a writeup for how you did the setup. Also, a video demonstration would also be great if you feel inclined. I have yet to find a single video demo of AdvMenu running on the pi.

mgoulart

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:50 am

OMG! It's so nice!!!
Is it works with other emulator? (SNES, Genesis, MAME, Retroarch,...)

welshy

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:56 am

Guys
AdvMENU can integrate pretty much any Emulator, the original Guide is

Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=23431

bidinou

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Great, this gave a very nice result !

Just one question : even when I set the graphics mode width to 1920 (as I have a 1920x1080 screen), only part of the screen is used (in a 4/3 ratio instead of 16/9).

Any idea ?

Thanks again, this turns out to be very satisfactory apart from my slight input lag issue...

welshy

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:33 pm

bidinou wrote:Just one question : even when I set the graphics mode width to 1920 (as I have a 1920x1080 screen), only part of the screen is used (in a 4/3 ratio instead of 16/9)
In AdvMENU or PiFBA?

bidinou

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:36 pm

In AdvMenu (sorry).

welshy

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:33 am

bidinou
I checked one of my Builds and its also 4:3 (which doesn't bother me, I prefer correct A/R), there is probably a setting in the .rc to change A/R for the display if you so wish (but if you look closely at atantiriads, its also 4:3).

Return to “Gaming”