gdw35

A couple of sound issues with RetroPie

Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:16 am

Hi
Been playing around with setting up RetroPie on my Pi. I have got a lot of it set up how I want however still have a couple of niggly issues that I would like to resolve.

I am using wired Xbox controller and xboxdrv. Connected to TV via HDMI at 720p.

Current most annoying problems are:
1. Really crappy sound with the the SNES emulator. It sounds choppy and like it is coming from inside a box.
2. After running NES emulator the sound stops working for everything, including the main interface (emulation station), I also think this happens after running some MAME games.

My two questions are:

1. Is there a way to improve the sound (and even performance) of the SNES emulator?

2. Is there a simple way to reset the sound in RetroPie back to default (i.e. HDMI output) or to ensure that the NES emulator does not break it?

Thanks

welshy

Re: A couple of sound issues with RetroPie

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:04 am

gdw35
1. Really crappy sound with the the SNES emulator. It sounds choppy and like it is coming from inside a box.

This is probably due to your current set-up running the RetroArch pocketsnes Core. Change the Emulation Station Front End configuration to use PiSNES instead which is a superior emulator for the System (especially sound wise!).

For general sound improvements make sure the retroarch config file settings for sound are -
audio_out_rate=44100
audio_driver=sdl (rather than alsa)
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

gdw35

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:06 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have switched over to use PiSNES and things are much better now. No lag and the sound is perfect.

However, I still have the problem where sometimes when exiting one of the emulators, including PiSNES, all audio is gone completely. I cannot even play a test sound at the prompt.

Is there any useful command I can run that will reset the sound drivers?

welshy

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:45 am

gdw35
Unfortunately as I don't use RetroPie I cant offer much advice beyond RetroArch problems (which I do use). You could try the Forum to see if there any answers to the issue

RetroPie Forum - http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/for ... ect-forum/
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

mordecai

Tue May 23, 2017 3:34 pm

welshy wrote:gdw35

This is probably due to your current set-up running the RetroArch pocketsnes Core. Change the Emulation Station Front End configuration to use PiSNES instead which is a superior emulator for the System (especially sound wise!).

For general sound improvements make sure the retroarch config file settings for sound are -
audio_out_rate=44100
audio_driver=sdl (rather than alsa)
Where do I actually go in RetroPie/RetroArch to change these settings? Is this a text file that lives somewhere?

Return to “Gaming”