leejones15

Selling Pi Arcade consoles

Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Hey Folks!
I'm just curious if anyone knows the legality of building and selling a raspberry pi arcade console. Or, better yet, a legal way to build and sell an arcade set up.
Seems like a fun weekend hobby, but I wanted to get the straight dope on copyright issues before I go putting any up on craigslist.
Thanks!

welshy

Re: Selling Pi Arcade consoles

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:54 pm

leejones15
Well theres no reason why you couldn't build and sell Arcade Console, the trouble would be Software related e.g.
1. Adding any ROMS that were not 'Public Domain' i.e. pretty much ALL of them! (Unless you had permission from the Copyright owner*).
2. Emulator use - Most are under available for free redistribution but 'may not be sold, nor may they be used in a commercial product or activity.' (from the MAME licence).

* This is why Star Wars isn't on Digital Eclipse's Atari Anthology, they also needed permission from LucasFilm, which wasn't forthcoming.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

berighteous

Re: Selling Pi Arcade consoles

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:41 am

It's not an issue to build a mame compatible raspberry pi system configured for arcade controls. You aren't selling the software, and you can't provide the roms.

You sell the arcade machine and as a courtesy you have the configuration files necessary to run mame on it if the customer wants to do so. You don't provide the roms, only the configuration for the machine.

Return to “Gaming”