franck

#CPC4Rpi - Amstrad CPC 6128 emulator

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:05 am

A new emulator have been released on the PiStore , its called #CPC4Rpi, it emulates an Amstrad CPC 6128.

Review available on gaming.capsule-sa.co.za
Franck / NoRisc-NoFun - [email protected]
http://www.norisc-nofun.co.uk
Twitter : @noriscnofun1

welshy

Re: #CPC4Rpi - Amstrad CPC 6128 emulator

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:15 am

franck
Thanks for the Post, I will add this to the Emulation on the Raspberry Pi Thread. Although quoting the CPC as 'the masterpiece of Lord Sugar' may be pushing it! lol
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

DougieLawson

Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Don't knock the CPC 6128 it was a good machine.

I'm biased because my brother worked for Lord Alan for 25 years.

Has anyone asked Alan for a licence for his ROM or will his legal dept be visiting later?
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

welshy

Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:56 pm

DougieLawson
Only joking! We al have our favourite Retro machines for a variety of reasons (usually nostalgia having previously owned the System in our youth, or wishing we had!). Looking at the documentation its a fork of Caprice32 by Ulrich Doewich which has been available on various Systems for years under a GNU licence. I believe the ROM was released under a licence that allows use for non commercial purposes (similar to the MB Vectrex O/S ROM & Game Titles).

Edit - From Wikipedia
'Following the CPC's end of production, Amstrad gave permission for the CPC ROMs to be distributed freely as long as the copyright message is not changed and that it is acknowledged that Amstrad still holds copyright, giving emulator authors the possibility to ship the CPC firmware with their programs'
Last edited by welshy on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanfanel

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:07 pm

But this emulator is commercial, even if at a symbolic price.
It also uses my dispmanx SDL backend, wich is GPL and not intented for commercial use. It's not the first time this author does the same.
I don't like it, personally.

DougieLawson

Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:53 pm

I saved £0.79. I built it from source (after hacking the makefile).

I even found a Norwegian ftp site with a lot of *.DSK files
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

welshy

Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:26 am

DougieLawson
Yup, I did deliberate on whether to post here that was possible! lol. I did the same, I think charging, in effect, for some body else's work (Ulrich Doewich) is somewhat iniquitous (although I believe allowable under a GNU Licence)! Amstrad CPC Game Images are not the easiest to locate to be sure!

scruss

Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:56 am

DougieLawson wrote:Don't knock the CPC 6128 it was a good machine.

I'm biased because my brother worked for Lord Alan for 25 years.

Has anyone asked Alan for a licence for his ROM or will his legal dept be visiting later?
You'll be fine. Cliff Lawson of Amstrad cleared that up in 1999:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/c ... NDSU3MksAJ

There are a lot of DSKs here: http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Main_Page

I amused myself for a while last year cross-compiling CPC code on the Raspberry Pi:
http://scruss.com/blog/2012/09/29/somet ... pberry-pi/
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

DougieLawson

Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Ok Cliff is my twin brother.

I'll forgive him for the horrible grammar error "your welcome" [sic]. But I completely agree with his testicular punishment for software pirates.

scruss

Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:50 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Cliff is my twin brother.
Aha! I have to say that Cliff's supportive attitude really helped make the Amstrad CPC the success it was. I don't think I ever met him when I was freelancing for Amstrad Computer User. Pity.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

welshy

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:17 pm

scruss
Due to the nature of Copyright Law please DO NOT -
1. Ask for ROMS
2. Ask where they can be downloaded
3. Post links to Download Sites and/or ROM files

scruss

Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Steady on, welshy. I know not to do that. We were talking about the system ROMs, which Dougie's brother - as an employee of Amstrad - released to the public in 1999.

There are many ROMs and images for the Amstrad that are legal to download for emulation, including all of the Arnor utilities (Protext ftw!) and many games, like the supremely odd ones by Design Design. There are very few game images for the CPC that are anything but abandonware — the only ones I can immediately think of that are still actively embargoed are the Ultimate (now Rare) titles like Alien-8.

You seem to post this message a lot here … sometimes followed by instructions on how to find images on the web. You don't need to play the cop. I see from your profile you like gaming; load up an Amstrad emulator and fire up the (cringe-makingly titled) Mission Genocide, and tell me if it's not one of the best 8-bit shmups you've ever played.

DougieLawson

Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:26 pm

scruss wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Cliff is my twin brother.
Aha! I have to say that Cliff's supportive attitude really helped make the Amstrad CPC the success it was. I don't think I ever met him when I was freelancing for Amstrad Computer User. Pity.
He's a heavy use of ATMel AVR processors and a frequent correspondent on their forums. So much so that ATMel sent him a wafer. I don't see him very often, I get an occasional tweet.

welshy

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:08 pm

scruss
It isn't my intention to 'play the cop', it wasn't really aimed at you, but a lot of younger users here don't know about or understand copyright/IP law in relation to ROMS or Game Images, I/we don't want to get the Forum in legal trouble, there is a difference between suggesting how they can be obtained and just posting a Link to a Website/Torrent or Pirate Bay! As I said before, a lot of individuals 'fondness' for a certain Retro System is based on nostalgia (having possibly owned one in their youth) this is plainly evident in the buoyant NES collectors scene in North America compared to the UK (it wasn't very successful here) or conversely the ZX Spectrum. Of the systems I previously owned (of which there are many) or have in my collection the Amstrad wasn't/isn't one of them, although I do have it emulated. I have not heard of Mission Genocide, thanks for the suggestion, will give it a try.
Last edited by welshy on Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DougieLawson

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Perhaps we should arrange for some of the youngsters who steal / pirate software to be subjected to some public testicular nailings. Somewhere like a tree in Richmond Park would be a suitable venue. I'll bring my big hammer and my educational Louisville Slugger.

There's a bunch of retro computers at my dad's house. We should probably donate some of those to the Computer Museum.

Oldbitcollector

Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:56 pm

Is there an alternative to getting this from the PiStore?

Growing up in North America, I was never exposed to the Amstrad computer. (We're all big C=,Atari, and Apple][ guys here, don't hold that against us.) -- Looking at some of the Youtube footage of the Amstrad CPC, this was a VERY capable machine. (As a former C64 guy, I'm even a little envious of the number of colors on screen.

Jeff
My Ongoing Raspberry Pi Reference: http://www.ledgerlabs.us/raspberrypi

DougieLawson

Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Oldbitcollector wrote:Is there an alternative to getting this from the PiStore?

Growing up in North America, I was never exposed to the Amstrad computer. (We're all big C=,Atari, and Apple][ guys here, don't hold that against us.) -- Looking at some of the Youtube footage of the Amstrad CPC, this was a VERY capable machine. (As a former C64 guy, I'm even a little envious of the number of colors on screen.

Jeff
http://darkside.strangled.net/cpc4rpi.tgz
I've included the executable and my modified makefile.
If you want the source you'll need to pull that from http://gaming.capsule-sa.co.za/download ... src.tar.gz

scruss

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:06 am

Oldbitcollector wrote:Looking at some of the Youtube footage of the Amstrad CPC, this was a VERY capable machine
Yeah, it was pretty good. It seemed to hit a very good hardware team and get put out for a good price. It did have its downsides; slower BASIC than the BBC B (though I found out that the way Acorn managed its speed was to dispense with garbage collection altogether — no fair!), too much of its memory locked up in the screen display, weaker sound than the C64. But some things it did well: great display on the included colour monitor, the quirky and expensive 3" disks were surprisingly good (and fast), great keyboard, CPM compatibility, banked RAM which survived a reboot (much to the annoyance of copy protection writers), and a refreshing lack of cable clutter.

I'm trying to remember my favourite games for it. They would certainly include:
  • Harvey Headbanger - a simple little painter game so well done that all the ports were a disaster
  • Chuckie Egg - this was closer to the BBC and Tandy CoCo version than the Spectrum one
  • Trailblazer - all it did was palette shifting to simulate animation, but it was fast and fun
  • Mission Genocide - a bullet-hell shmup. One of the few games to use the Amstrad's fast but limited hardware scroll properly.
  • Room Ten - a sort-of 3D Shufflepuck Café. Did clever things with graphics that looked very classy
  • 3D Star Strike - a blatant rip-off of Star Wars with very blocky vector graphics, but immersive and fun
  • Dark Star - another Star Wars rip-off, but this one had beautiful fast graphics and a deep air of confusion behind it
  • Defend or Die - yeah, Defender; but well programmed and slick
  • Paperboy - this one might be hard to find. There were two versions: the first one was in four colours, and played well with minimal sound. The later one was colourful and loud, but was basically awful. I think this might be one of the few games that is still embargoed; I don't think Elite were too happy letting their ports out
  • Elite - fighting words, but I think the Amstrad version was the best of the 8-bit versions. Lose weeks on this; it's still great.

Oldbitcollector

Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:43 am

How do I deal with this error?

error while loading shared libraries libegl.so.1 No such file or directory

Oldbitcollector

Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:33 am

I put my $1.39 donation in the box, but I'm not a huge fan of the PiStore. (I'm an old school apt-get guy), so I'll get it installed (hopefully) from there, but I'd still like to know how I could have solved the missing file.

Thanks.

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:55 am

Oldbitcollector wrote:How do I deal with this error?

sudo apt-get install libegl*

The Pi-Store version is linked with a static library. My version uses dynamic libraries.

yottskry

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:32 pm

Welshy - disk images are actually really easy to find... IF you know where to look!

http://www.cpcgamereviews.com/ has reviews and images for 1700 games. Just click the game title to download the disk image.

scruss

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Actually, there's a huge cache on the Internet Archive: TOSEC: Amstrad CPC. I have found stuff here that I've never seen before in years of trawling Amstrad archives.

Fidelius

Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:23 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Oldbitcollector wrote:How do I deal with this error?
sudo apt-get install libegl*
The Pi-Store version is linked with a static library. My version uses dynamic libraries.
I installed the libegl files as you suggested, but when I re-try to start your cpc4rpi binary, I now get this error message :
cpc4rpi: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./cpc4rpi)
So I tried to compile the source cpc4rpi-1.1_src.tar.gz with your modified makefile, but got the following error:
z80.h:22:17: fatal error: SDL.h: File or Directory not found
The following fixed it:
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev
Then it compiled well and the new binary runs. That's great! Thanks for all the help, Dougie.

P.S. How can we enter certain special keyboard characters inside the emulator, like the »|« needed for |CPM, for example? I tried various SHIFT and CTRL combinations, but this special character doesn't appear. I'm using a German keyboard layout with my PI, by the way, which I initally configured via raspi-config.

Return to “Gaming”