bluesmoke

Openarena multiplayer

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Why does open arena crash when I try to play on a server from the multiplayer list? Is this fixable? Single player is fun but gets boring after a while. And yes, I read the description in the Pi Store.

Thanks, :D

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Openarena multiplayer

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:14 pm

It's because the servers in the multiplayer list are all running a newer version of the multiplayer protocol.
Having the Pi version updated to the latest code is not a trivial job, but could be done if someone had the time.

You can host a dedicated server yourself, forward port 27960 to your Pi and allow other OA Pi players to join your server. That would work. They would then go Multiplayer > Specify and enter your internet facing IP address. Use oa_dm3, great for deathmatch :)

bluesmoke

Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:20 am

Do yo know how one would go about updating this protocol. I would really like to help people out. I know its frustrating to me not to be able to play multiplayer.

bluesmoke

Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Can no one show me how to do this?

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi bluesmoke, sorry I have only just seen this. This is not an easy task. However, since you asked: you would need to get the ioquake3 fork for Raspberry Pi out of github here and go through each source code file comparing its differences to the original source here which has moved on.

The goal would be to keep any changes that were made for portability to the Raspberry Pi and update it with the changes that have been incorporated into the original source since the Pi version was forked. I haven't actually had a proper look at it myself, it could be a huge job or it could be one or two files which have changed. If you go for it though, good luck :)

Remember though, you can still do Pi to Pi Open Arena multiplayer without having to do this. Doing the above would potentially allow you to play against other users who were running the game on PC etc.

duberry
Location: standing on a planet that's evolving. And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Davespice wrote: ... and go through each source code file comparing its differences to the original source here which has moved on.
I thought "diff" program was made for this exact task ?
lend me your arms, fast as thunderbolts, for a pillow on my journey.
If the environment was a bank, would it be too big to fail
so long; and thanks for all the pi

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:34 pm

Yep, I would certainly recommend the use of a diff tool. I use the tortoise one on a daily basis.

Return to “Gaming”