welshy

Raspbian Wheezy: Overclocking SD Card Corruption 'Fix'

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:39 pm

As many users have discovered, high ovelclock settings can cause SD Card corruption. Moderator gsh contacted me in relation to this issue, kernel and driver changes have recently been made to the Raspbian Wheezy Image in an attempt to alleviate this problem. I have conducted some testing with the update, my RPi's are now stable at 950MHz (previously 900) and will actually run at 1GIG now, it causes system crashes (this is no doubt due to my 'Cheap' Power Supply), but will reboot as the SD Card doesn't corrupt as was seen before. Some drivers/configurations need altering, for instance the Xbox 360 controllers now require --detach-kernel-driver added to the rc.local script but it is certainly far more stable at these higher settings. Nice Work!

For those users having issues who would like to update to the new drivers it is not an onerous process, simply -

sudo rpi-update
sudo reboot
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

arimal

Re: Raspbian Wheezy: Overclocking SD Card Corruption 'Fix'

Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:15 pm

I'm a little gun shy about actually trying it at this point but that is great news.

welshy

Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:53 pm

I know what you mean! Updating kernels/drivers can be a risky business as your never sure how it will effect existing programs (e.g. it interfered with the xbox controller scripts) but this is common to all Operating Systems. However, backing up your existing Image is always advisable so if there are issues its easy to 'roll back'. Also its nice to see these issues are being addressed/corrected by the team responsible (as they did with the STELLA emulator problem).

KitchUK

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:26 pm

Welshy
Where could I find a change log or documentation of these updates?

welshy

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:32 am

KitchUK
The master is Here - https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux

Return to “Gaming”