berighteous

My new bartop arcade cabs

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:34 am

Hi!
I just finished two new Raspberry Pi powered bartop arcade cabs and I wanted to show them off!
here's a video:
http://youtu.be/F-p6f5DxiXo

berighteous

Re: My new bartop arcade cabs

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:46 am

I'm trying to get my lovely wife to ok us buying a CNC machine so I can make kits to sell. I dunno if anybody would be interested, but they're fun to play.

I'm using advmenu on mame4all-pi on these, using mng game animations for the menu. I turned the menu sounds off because advmenu doesn't seem to play the sound files for the animations correctly. Anybody know of a fix for that?

I was thinking of CNC routing the pieces with slots so they all fit together without need for screws. T-molding slots routed and maybe even including all the buttons, joysticks and usb joystick encoders. Just add a monitor and sound system and you're up and running. just gotta find that grand for the CNC machine... lol.

Takenover83

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:42 am

Thanks for sharing. Very cool. I am jealous.

berighteous

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:39 pm

For the controls I'm using Happ competition joysticks and buttons, and two of these Zero Delay usb joystick encoders.
Each encoder controls one player joystick, 6 play buttons, coin and start button. I had a long debate with myself over whether or not I really needed two coin buttons, so I made one with only one. Works for most games. Turns out some games (like Gauntlet) care which coin slot you use.

The monitors I'm using have a built in usb hub, so I have the joystick controllers plugged into the monitor and the monitor connected to the Pi, leaving one open usb port I can plug a keyboard in if I need to tweak the configuration.

swizzgrief

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:55 pm

Would you mind posting the blueprints for the cab?

berighteous

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:32 am

I'll draw up plans and post them as soon as I can get to it. I posted the general dimensions and other stuff in the "Cases" thread.

berighteous

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:18 am

Anybody need arcade buttons or joysticks? I have a bunch of them now. I recently got a box of like 20 sets of 6 black buttons with switches. Pm me if you need to buy some parts.

toxibunny

Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:39 am

I like the colour schemes on those.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

berighteous

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:33 am

Working on a red one just for Neo Geo games.

davedobson

Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:45 pm

Sweet system! I think you're using similar controls to what I'm trying to use but not having any luck - extreme beginner here. Any chance you could give some advice on how to get controls working? I'm using the pimame system... Thanks in advance!

Here's the kit I have:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Arcade-DIY-Acces ... 2c751fdbc1

berighteous

Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:52 am

It's super simple to set up. Each set of 2 wires connects to a single switch. The controller can handle 12 buttons and 4 joystick switches. I use happ buttons and joy sticks which have different switches to the sanwa ones in the kit you showed, but the connections are the same. If you have a 5 pin joystick you use the 5 pin joystick connector in the middle top row of connectors, otherwise you wire the individual direction switchs (up down right left) to the connectors on the top right of the board. The buttons wire to the row of connectors on the bottom of the board. Button 1 connects to the bottom left most connector and button 12 connects to the bottom right most connector.

On mine I use 8 of the button connectors = button 1-6, start 1, coin 1.
In mame you need to configure the controls. I initially do it with a keyboard plugged in. I start any game, then hit tab to get the configuration menu, and then set up the UI controls so I can use the joystick to go through the menus and button 1 to select. Then I use the joystick to set the player controls for player 1 - move the joystick to the control I want to set, button 1 to tell mame to change the control and then hit the button I want the control to be. Select player 1 up, hit button 1 to tell it to change, move the joystick up, and it's set. Then do down, left right, button 1, 2,3,4,5,6, coin, and start.

I use two of these controllers, so once I set mame to use the joystick, I switch off, remove the keyboard, plug in the second controller, and then start up again, boot to mame, and set up controller 2.

I also set a multi button combination to exit the emulator. I use two of the controllers, so my exit command is start 1+start 2. On a two controller system, it's easier to wire both start and both coins to the first controller, but I did each start and coin to it's own controller. Usually each emulator has it's own way of setting up the joysticks. I only use mame in my cabs, so I haven't set the other emulators up. I like the controller though.

berighteous

Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:16 am

I'm should be buying my CNC router in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to make some kits if there's any interest.

dan3008

Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:07 pm

berighteous wrote:I'm should be buying my CNC router in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to make some kits if there's any interest.
I'd be interested, Can you message me when you have a price? (p&p to uk would be handy too)
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

berighteous

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:19 am

I finally have prototypes of the new bartop arcade cabinets. If there's any interest for kits I'm nearly ready to sell them. (US only for now)
Non marquee version

Marquee version

Both are 20" wide.

berighteous

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:23 am

The CNC machine cutting them out. I can cut the whole cabinet including routing pockets for the joysticks, drilling the button holes and cutting the t-molding slots (on the router table) in about an hour and a half or so.

DigitalLumberjack

Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:12 am

Hi, nice work ;)

I am building a cabinet with 4 joysticks + 10 buttons each. I wrote a driver for my joystick that works with a MCP23017 (gpio extender). It's only 1$/3$ each and it works very well.

Have a look here if you are interested.
https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/mk ... ystick_rpi

Bye

kyle07

Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:48 pm

I am a computer science teacher at a school in MN and was looking at some projects to team up with our woods teacher. I ran across your arcade machine that would be great. Would you be willing to share your CNC file?

Return to “Gaming”