GTR2Fan

Re: 01/16 UltraSlim = Retro/Gaming/Q3|XBMC 12/13|Desktop + m

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:46 pm

Possibly a silly question to those who already know the answer, but I'm trying to set up a share to my Windows PC from the USB-HDD attached to my Pi.

With the default UltraSlim setup, all I see from the Windows end is the 'ULTRASLIM/Home' share available for connection as a network drive in 'My Computer'. How would I go about adding another path for sharing please?
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

Rionoskae

Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:00 pm

GTR2Fan wrote:Possibly a silly question to those who already know the answer, but I'm trying to set up a share to my Windows PC from the USB-HDD attached to my Pi.

With the default UltraSlim setup, all I see from the Windows end is the 'ULTRASLIM/Home' share available for connection as a network drive in 'My Computer'. How would I go about adding another path for sharing please?
Taken from TakenOver himself earlier in the thread:
/etc/samba/smb.conf is the file you want.

I'll try to elaborate more once I have the Pi in front of me to test, but that should get you started.

GTR2Fan

Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:41 pm

Aha! It's easy when you know how! :P

I opened 'smb.conf' in Nano then scrolled to the bottom where I found the line...

Code: Select all

path = /home/pi/
...and changed it to (in my case)...

path = /media/usb1/
I now have the external USB-HDD that's attached to my Pi accessible as a mapped network drive on my Win7 PC.

Thanks very much for your help. :)
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

Neb

Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:38 pm

First of all thank you TakenOver, brilliant distribution combining the all-in-one gaming/media/quick app launching we need.

My 3 questions:
1- although I appreciate the back-to-the-80s intro video, I was wondering where I could edit the bootup sequence to go straight to emulationstation, if anyone knows pls? (I have the time to write the post whilst grepping for intro.mp4 and it hasn't finished!)
2- is there another website on which the distribution is hosted (or a bit torrent sync like retropie has)? I would like to keep updated with new image release news but don't want to have to keep revisiting this forum post!
3- TakenOver: would you be able to glance at http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=54357 before the next update to include any emulators not yet present (I know you want to keep it slim!), three I was thinking of: ScummVM, Fuse (spectrum) and Gargoyle (for interactive fiction/Zork/Planetfall, not referred to in the post but in the debian repository).

I think what makes it stand above the rest:
- over Chameleon: the fact that UltraSlim is not dead
- over RetroPie is the ease of use of the initial image (you can likely get to the same result with it but not so quickly from the get-go)
- over XBMC is the included gaming binaries obviously
- the quick links to the apps from emulation station

Thanks for the xbmc updater as well, so we can get Frodo up and running.

Finally thanks also to Rionoskae for the guide, really useful - one minor note that it is maybe worth mentioning that UltraSlim is already overclocked by default to the 'medium' setting in the overclocking section.

Rionoskae

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:26 pm

Neb wrote:First of all thank you TakenOver, brilliant distribution combining the all-in-one gaming/media/quick app launching we need.

My 3 questions:
1- although I appreciate the back-to-the-80s intro video, I was wondering where I could edit the bootup sequence to go straight to emulationstation, if anyone knows pls? (I have the time to write the post whilst grepping for intro.mp4 and it hasn't finished!)
Neb,

Spot-on with the UltraSlim analysis vs. other distros, couldn't have said it better my self :D I'm glad that you found the guide useful and I like the suggestion you made as well. I'll add that to the guide right away.

Also, to anwser your first question - The intro video can be found @: \\ULTRASLIM\Home\media\intro.mp4

I personally ran the video through handbrake to adjust the audio levels... It was just too loud every time I rebooted :D

GTR2Fan

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:02 pm

Neb wrote:...although I appreciate the back-to-the-80s intro video, I was wondering where I could edit the bootup sequence to go straight to emulationstation, if anyone knows pls? (I have the time to write the post whilst grepping for intro.mp4 and it hasn't finished!)
The intro video resides in '/home/pi/media'. I wasn't brave enough to just delete it, so I made a 5 second intro video of my own from a single '.png' image file with the same output filename (intro.mp4) using ffmpeg on a Windows PC with the following batch file...

ffmpeg -loop 1 -i input.png -c:v libx264 -t 5 -vf format=yuv420p intro.mp4
Note that you will have to place 'ffmpeg.exe' in the same folder as the batch file for it to work.

I now get 5 seconds of this during the boot-up process...Image...but you could substitute any image you like and set the 't' parameter to just 1 second if you like. :)

theredbaron

Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:06 am

Thank you so much for this distro. I have tried a few, and yours is the best. It makes a very nice system. I use it for just about everything.

My only problem is that the joystick settings only work in the emu's/ startup. You can get joystick control pretty easy in LXDE, but I haven't figured out how to get it to work in XBMC (joy2key is way beyond me, as is xboxdrv for anything but an xbox controller).Is there anyway to get the joystick setting thing to set the settings to work with xorg-joystick and XBMC too?

Neb wrote: 3- TakenOver: would you be able to glance at http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=54357 before the next update to include any emulators not yet present (I know you want to keep it slim!), three I was thinking of: ScummVM, Fuse (spectrum) and Gargoyle (for interactive fiction/Zork/Planetfall, not referred to in the post but in the debian repository).
I would also like to say how about GPSP. I mean, come on, GBA is needed :) ( at least for me, GBA is about my favorite system). It works quite well too, though I just added it to /apps/.

Also, how about adding a script that does something like startx /usr/bin/netsurf-gtk so there could be a quick access browser? Also having one run aptitude has been quite useful.

Rionoskae

Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:42 pm

theredbaron wrote:Thank you so much for this distro. I have tried a few, and yours is the best. It makes a very nice system. I use it for just about everything.

My only problem is that the joystick settings only work in the emu's/ startup. You can get joystick control pretty easy in LXDE, but I haven't figured out how to get it to work in XBMC (joy2key is way beyond me, as is xboxdrv for anything but an xbox controller).Is there anyway to get the joystick setting thing to set the settings to work with xorg-joystick and XBMC too?

Neb wrote: 3- TakenOver: would you be able to glance at http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=54357 before the next update to include any emulators not yet present (I know you want to keep it slim!), three I was thinking of: ScummVM, Fuse (spectrum) and Gargoyle (for interactive fiction/Zork/Planetfall, not referred to in the post but in the debian repository).
I would also like to say how about GPSP. I mean, come on, GBA is needed :) ( at least for me, GBA is about my favorite system). It works quite well too, though I just added it to /apps/.

Also, how about adding a script that does something like startx /usr/bin/netsurf-gtk so there could be a quick access browser? Also having one run aptitude has been quite useful.
Joystick support & setup is detailed extensively for PS3 & Xbox controllers in my guide ( linked to post #1 ) However if you are using anything other than those controllers...some minor adjustments will most likely be required. If you would like to contribute to the cause - I would be happy to take any documentation on your model of controller for the guide!!

As far as controlling XBMC via joystick...It is supported currently only for wired controllers via xboxdrv. This is also detailed in my guide. If you are looking for bluetooth controller support in XBMC...it doesn't exist yet. Many of us here and on other distros have tried. Future releases of XBMC should be compiled with joystick support.

TakenOver83 has said that if enough people wish for other Emulators to be added, he may release updates to the image. But until then...again my guide details the process for setting a gameboy emulator up on your own.

~Cheers

Staga

Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:05 pm

well done man, i love what you did here!
i worked my way through this by following this guide http://everyday-tech.com/the-complete-g ... -pi-image/ and it´s working fine except that i had some difficulties with the ssh connection on my mac machine. i wash´t able to enable the ssh settings in the raspy config. i had to install ssh by hand first to enable it. thanks for you guys i was able to connect it via cyberduck instead of having to use my old windows machine. but i´m still not able to write command-lines like i could with raspian over "desktop remote control". is there anything missing to make that possible or am i just stupid?

i also wanna ask you if its possible to add more os to the emulation station and choose another os to boot right away? i´m thinking about using it as a headless audio streaming device for my iDivices so when no display is attached i can still stream music without having to choose xbmc first. is that even possible or am i being stupid again? ;)

thanks for the help and making me able to do such great thinks!

Earth-F

Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:17 pm

Takenover83 - very big and very good job! Rionoskae - good manual!
Downloaded UltraSlim, try now.
The first thing that I noticed - in XBMC no support for Russian language ... or bad, I was looking for.

Rionoskae

Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:07 pm

Staga wrote:well done man, i love what you did here!
i worked my way through this by following this guide http://everyday-tech.com/the-complete-g ... -pi-image/ and it´s working fine except that i had some difficulties with the ssh connection on my mac machine. i wash´t able to enable the ssh settings in the raspy config. i had to install ssh by hand first to enable it. thanks for you guys i was able to connect it via cyberduck instead of having to use my old windows machine. but i´m still not able to write command-lines like i could with raspian over "desktop remote control". is there anything missing to make that possible or am i just stupid?

i also wanna ask you if its possible to add more os to the emulation station and choose another os to boot right away? i´m thinking about using it as a headless audio streaming device for my iDivices so when no display is attached i can still stream music without having to choose xbmc first. is that even possible or am i being stupid again? ;)

thanks for the help and making me able to do such great thinks!
For terminal access on a mac, I would check out this link:
http://superuser.com/questions/166691/i ... ty-for-mac

It would seem that you can just open your terminal and run: I believe we already discussed the audio portion of your question on my blog. Please let me know what you end up using for terminal access on your MAC.

~Cheers

Staga

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:26 pm

found that out a fe hours ago. but thanks!
do you have a link regarding to the section you mentioned? do you have any idea if its possible to boot ultra slim right into xbmc? that would do the job for now. everything else works now perfectly fine!

thanks a lot, again!

Rionoskae

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:32 pm

Staga wrote:found that out a fe hours ago. but thanks!
do you have a link regarding to the section you mentioned? do you have any idea if its possible to boot ultra slim right into xbmc? that would do the job for now. everything else works now perfectly fine!

thanks a lot, again!
Glad to hear that :) The link for the Dedicated UltraSlim Image on my Forums is Here:
http://everyday-tech.com/Forum/index.php?topic=122.0

I know it's possible and I've seen it mentioned( i believe ) in this very forum thread... though you will probably have to read through the entire thing to find it.... I'm also working going through the nightly build section again to try to improve my documentation. Then I'll try to revert back to one of the backups that the updatexbmc script makes :)

Staga

Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:55 am

ckoenig673 wrote:Next idea would be to make the EmuStation work with the Android/iPhone XBMC remote. One remote for them all...

is there any progress controlling the emulation station with an iDevice? would be great! thanks a lot!

Takenover83

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:23 am

LOL, with all these features, emulators, etc... you guys request, I might need to make a UltraPhat ;p
But a easier method would just keep things the way they are. Maybe add some extra emulator zip's to post #1, for those emulators that are missing that some people want. Love all the support this little project has gathered. You guys are the true reason UltraSlim is great.

Ja$on

Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:39 am

is the N64 emulator a playable one? or one that hardly works on raspberry pi?

welshy

Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:22 am

Ja$on
There is only one working N64 Emulator on the RPi, Mupen64plus-Rpi - Nintendo 64 (Ric_rpi’s WIP ‘Alpha’). It is the same one from the Thread where you have previously posted (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... &start=200).
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Ja$on

Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:41 pm

could I unpack the quake files onto the pi using cyberduck instead of on the pi itself? then go to the, pi restart it and set the user settings when it reboots?

Rionoskae

Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:24 pm

Ja$on wrote:could I unpack the quake files onto the pi using cyberduck instead of on the pi itself? then go to the, pi restart it and set the user settings when it reboots?
you could use FTP or connect via the Samba Shares to copy over and unzip the needed files. Both methods are in my Guide.

When you are talking about user settings...what exactly are you referring to? Quake user settings?
Last edited by Rionoskae on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calvin Cycle

Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:25 pm

I have been playing with this (v1.6) for a few weeks now and it is generally working well. I am very grateful to the work put in. I am a Linux noob so apologies if any of the following queries have obvious solutions.

I want to re-map the keys I chose the first time I set it up the frontend. How do I go about doing this?

Q3A looks like it is going to work then I get a message reading "User interface is version 3, expected 6" any ideas? *edit* Thanks to Rionoskae's excellent guide http://everyday-tech.com/the-complete-g ... -pi-image/ I now have the extra .pak files I was missing. I am about to fire it up and see if it works.

I appreciate that the N64 stuff is a work in progress. Is anything realistic at this point? *edit* I just found this http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=58395 which answers this question.

I had a quick go with PSX and got Dark Forces running after a fashion. Any suggestions as to what works very well? Oddworld? FF7? Tomb Raider?(II)? Or is that asking a bit too much? I thought I would ask before copying any of them over.

I have an XBox 360 controller which I hope to install later today. *edit* working nicely in Emulation Station.

My main issue is that I have no sound on boot up and in the emulators. I have read this could be an issue with a single audio signal not being played by my HDMI TV. I am not savvy enough to resolve this though. Sound in XBMC works perfectly.

Having had the Pi since October and my 3 kids stopping me from tinkering with it as much as I would like, I am enjoying getting it up and running. Many thanks for all the hard work making this happen.

CC

Kruelle2000

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:38 pm

After a lot of struggle with berryboot i found this image combining XBMC and RetroPie.

I still wonder if there is a chance to get PVR IPTVSimple working with XBMC. Normally I found this add-onn in the disabled add-onn section. In the XBMC that comes with ultraslim there is no disabled add-onn section and i can`t find a working zip for the IPTV Simple Add-On. The installation of Gotham didn`t fix this as well. Any ideas on that?

Rionoskae

Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:24 pm

Calvin Cycle wrote:I have been playing with this (v1.6) for a few weeks now and it is generally working well. I am very grateful to the work put in. I am a Linux noob so apologies if any of the following queries have obvious solutions.

I want to re-map the keys I chose the first time I set it up the frontend. How do I go about doing this?

Q3A looks like it is going to work then I get a message reading "User interface is version 3, expected 6" any ideas? *edit* Thanks to Rionoskae's excellent guide http://everyday-tech.com/the-complete-g ... -pi-image/ I now have the extra .pak files I was missing. I am about to fire it up and see if it works.

I appreciate that the N64 stuff is a work in progress. Is anything realistic at this point? *edit* I just found this http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=58395 which answers this question.

I had a quick go with PSX and got Dark Forces running after a fashion. Any suggestions as to what works very well? Oddworld? FF7? Tomb Raider?(II)? Or is that asking a bit too much? I thought I would ask before copying any of them over.

I have an XBox 360 controller which I hope to install later today. *edit* working nicely in Emulation Station.

My main issue is that I have no sound on boot up and in the emulators. I have read this could be an issue with a single audio signal not being played by my HDMI TV. I am not savvy enough to resolve this though. Sound in XBMC works perfectly.

Having had the Pi since October and my 3 kids stopping me from tinkering with it as much as I would like, I am enjoying getting it up and running. Many thanks for all the hard work making this happen.

CC
Glad you were able to resolve most of your issues :)

1.) My general rule of thumb for determining what games will work well on PS1 / N64 emulation is the file size of the ROM. Typically if it's less than 8mb - It's playable. Although file size is technically speaking a terrible indicator - as it has more to do with the specifics of how demanding the game is in how levels are rendered. If you want to play more complex PS1 or N64 games - your best bet is to start pushing the overclocking limits of your Pi.

I touch on this topic a little bit in The Troubleshooting section of my guide.

2.) Interesting problem with sound... What I would do is plug your PI to another HDMI monitor / TV to quickly determine if it is indeed a problem with your TV and we can troubleshoot from there.

~Cheers

Calvin Cycle

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:35 pm

Rionoskae wrote: Glad you were able to resolve most of your issues :)

1.) My general rule of thumb for determining what games will work well on PS1 / N64 emulation is the file size of the ROM. Typically if it's less than 8mb - It's playable. Although file size is technically speaking a terrible indicator - as it has more to do with the specifics of how demanding the game is in how levels are rendered. If you want to play more complex PS1 or N64 games - your best bet is to start pushing the overclocking limits of your Pi.

I touch on this topic a little bit in The Troubleshooting section of my guide.

2.) Interesting problem with sound... What I would do is plug your PI to another HDMI monitor / TV to quickly determine if it is indeed a problem with your TV and we can troubleshoot from there.

~Cheers
I had to recently change my TV as a result of a hardware issue. Previous to that I was running v1.5 which worked fine, before the sound issue began intermittently before sound failed altogether. The image then somehow became corrupted and I only had XBMC in one quarter of the screen with no lettering in the menus. At this point I upgraded to v1.6 and in the meantime got a new TV. As such it's a bit difficult to tell. I still have the old TV in the garage. I will see if I can get it working for 10 mins to try.

I found this http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... MI_monitor and thought it might be something along these lines as the sound on XBMC is fine which suggests to me it is something to do with the type of sound signal being sent from the Pi to the TV.

Rionoskae

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:41 pm

Calvin,

Could very well be your TV. As far as XBMC only showing up in 1/4 of the screen... believe it or not that is actually a keyboard command. ( key = \ ) Don't ask me why that is even a command...but it is. That one threw me for a short while as well.

Please do keep us posted on whether everything works in v1.6 and with the new TV!

~Cheers

Calvin Cycle

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:56 pm

Rionoskae wrote:Calvin,

Could very well be your TV. As far as XBMC only showing up in 1/4 of the screen... believe it or not that is actually a keyboard command. ( key = \ ) Don't ask me why that is even a command...but it is. That one threw me for a short while as well.

Please do keep us posted on whether everything works in v1.6 and with the new TV!

~Cheers
Many thanks for the quick reply. As for the keyboard command that sounds like one of my kids at play!

With the sound issue I will continue to tinker and feedback. Frustrating as I have now finally got a gamepad working!

CC

Return to “Gaming”