Takenover83

Re: 01/16 UltraSlim = Retro/Gaming/Q3|XBMC 12/13|Desktop + m

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Playing networked shared Samba files via XBMC should work fine. I do so from two different pi's on my own network. Also works fine on a few friend's I have helped get going. But there could be a number of reasons it would not work. Router, software firewalls, windows settings, etc.. Everything has to be right or it's all a big headacke.

Rionoskae

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:24 pm

TakenOver:

Any advice on getting joystick to work in xbmc? I am sol with the current xbmc builds and i'm once again resorting to compiling source....

Thanks man!

Takenover83

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:57 pm

The only way I ever got it work was with xboxdrv. Took some googling and reading the actual xboxdrv documentation. Ofcourse the controller you use can be a make or break. But typically if you have a wired controller, you should be able to get it to work with enough patience. unfortunately it is difficult to help because the config/ini file you create will very much differ from controller to controller. And it's been so long sense I did it, my mind would be quiet rusty. I did provide my script which loads the xboxdrv. Did I provide my ps3.ini for example? Can't remember. It will take lots of testing and troubleshooting before you actually get it. I wish there was a simpler copy and paste, wam bam, thanks come again solution.

Rionoskae

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Hmmm, thanks for the information TakenOver. I looked at xboxdrv and bluetooth support is still in the todo section :(

So it's been nearly a week trying to get joystick working with xbmc now...and I think as much as I hate to say it - I'm going to have to give up on getting this working for my own sanity. I'll leave it to the experts and just be patient I guess.

If anyone happens to read this and has found a way to get it working, please let me know as I feel so defeated spending all week on it now and not being able to get it working! As always, Any help would be appreciated.

GreenTea

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:47 am

I've been messing around with UltraSlim for a couple days. I've been able to get a lot working with some tinkering, but I've hit a wall.

I've been having some weird sound problems (a kind of buzzing noise) over my speakers in EmulationStation, when going between some menus in xbmc and while playing games. The first two are no big deal but that third is something I really wanna get worked out. I tested for interference and it seems to be a problem no matter where my speakers are, where they're powered from or whatever. It is not a problem in lxde, or in xbmc when I used openelec (or anywhere else in UltraSlim besides the 3 places I said.) so I'm pretty sure it's a software problem (I think it might not be a problem if I could use audio over HDMI but I dont have the hardware for that at the second.)

I tried to switch the audio driver in retroarch to SDL and see if that fixes it. Switched to that in retroarch's config and, no go, missing SDL driver. So, I made sure I had all the SDL packages, took out "--disable-sdl" from "./configure --disable-x11 --disable-oss --disable-pulse --disable-sdl --enable-floathard" in 03_Update_Emulators.sh and ran the script to update retroarch.

No change.

I checked the log, and saw this error

Code: Select all

CC gfx/gl.c
gfx/gl.c: In function ‘gl_init_textures’:
gfx/gl.c:1117:9: error: ‘gl_t’ has no member named ‘ctx_context’
In file included from /opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos.h:185:0,
                 from /opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/vc_dispmanx.h:33,
                 from /opt/vc/include/EGL/eglplatform.h:110,
                 from /opt/vc/include/EGL/egl.h:36,
                 from gfx/gl_common.h:34,
                 from gfx/gl.c:39:
gfx/gl.c: At top level:
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:112:6: warning: inline function ‘vcos_timer_delete’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:109:6: warning: inline function ‘vcos_timer_reset’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:102:6: warning: inline function ‘vcos_timer_cancel’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:95:6: warning: inline function ‘vcos_timer_set’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:80:15: warning: inline function ‘vcos_timer_create’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
In file included from /opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos.h:127:0,
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:269:6: warning: inline function ‘vcos_thread_resume’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:262:5: warning: inline function ‘vcos_thread_running’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:251:15: warning: inline function ‘vcos_change_preemption’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:234:6: warning: inline function ‘vcos_thread_relinquish’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:186:15: warning: inline function ‘vcos_thread_get_affinity’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
In file included from /opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos.h:185:0,
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:112:6: warning: inline function ‘vcos_timer_delete’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:109:6: warning: inline function ‘vcos_timer_reset’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:102:6: warning: inline function ‘vcos_timer_cancel’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:95:6: warning: inline function ‘vcos_timer_set’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:80:15: warning: inline function ‘vcos_timer_create’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
In file included from /opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos.h:127:0,
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:269:6: warning: inline function ‘vcos_thread_resume’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:262:5: warning: inline function ‘vcos_thread_running’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:251:15: warning: inline function ‘vcos_change_preemption’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:234:6: warning: inline function ‘vcos_thread_relinquish’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:186:15: warning: inline function ‘vcos_thread_get_affinity’ declared but never defined [enabled by default]
make: *** [obj-unix/gfx/gl.o] Error 1
mv: cannot stat `retroarch': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `tools/retroarch-joyconfig': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `tools/retrolaunch/retrolaunch': No such file or directory

So, I moved the retroarch folder over to a backup location, and went and tried to compile it myself with essentially the options. I got the same error. I copied over a backup of the original 03_Update_Emulators.sh, ran it again, same error.
I also updated my Pi's firmware and everything else I could but no change.

I have no idea where to go from this. Google was no help. I kind of feel like, even if I was somehow able to fix my sound problem without recompiling retroarch, this is still an issue I would like to be able to fix.

Any ideas? I'm lost here.

Aloshi

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:36 pm

Judging from the RetroArch GitHub commit log and issues, a bug was introduced about a week ago that has now been fixed (as of an hour ago).

edcredible

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi just a quick question. Not sure if the issues are related or not, but I've used Raspbmc before switching to Ultraslim and the issue with the Samba drive was brought up earlier. I've been using Ultraslim XBMC and am not able to use Airplay and my iphone remote no longer detects XBMC on the network. I'm able to hardcode the IP address of XBMC onto my remote along with the 8088 port number to make that work. Airplay does not work and all my ios devices cannot detect the Ultraslim XBMC instance. I also have zeroconf setting turned on. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas or was able to get airplay to run on Ultraslim XBMC?

Rionoskae

Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:06 pm

edcredible wrote:Hi just a quick question. Not sure if the issues are related or not, but I've used Raspbmc before switching to Ultraslim and the issue with the Samba drive was brought up earlier. I've been using Ultraslim XBMC and am not able to use Airplay and my iphone remote no longer detects XBMC on the network. I'm able to hardcode the IP address of XBMC onto my remote along with the 8088 port number to make that work. Airplay does not work and all my ios devices cannot detect the Ultraslim XBMC instance. I also have zeroconf setting turned on. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas or was able to get airplay to run on Ultraslim XBMC?
I'll test this and add a section for it in the guide posted earlier. Not sure when I'll be able to wrestle my fiance's iphone away from her to test....but I will get to it.

Can anyone else chime in here?

Takenover83

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:22 am

My builds of XBMC do not include airplay (slim builds afterall). If you want airplay maybe try a different built? Do the nightlies have it?

Rionoskae

Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Takenover83 wrote:My builds of XBMC do not include airplay (slim builds afterall). If you want airplay maybe try a different built? Do the nightlies have it?
I think the nightlies do contain Airplay & Joystick for that matter... But I haven't been able to figure out how to get these going. At this point I've decided to just be patient and wait for a proper release. From what I've seen, It looks like we can expect a Gotham beta build in April sometime.

EDIT: (3/19/2014)
On latest nightly now - does not contain joystick! Should contain Airplay though...I will have to check.
Last edited by Rionoskae on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rionoskae

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:48 pm

Yo TakenOver... few questions.

1- Where can I find working .pak files for quake? I found 2 different sources but neither of them worked for me....

2- Any idea why Doom isn't working out of the box? I can probably wipe it and re-load...but perhaps you know a quick fix!

Update:
Nvm I found what I was looking for - Updated the Guide to reflect what needs to be done to get these working :)
Last edited by Rionoskae on Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nitrogen_Widget

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:17 pm

I’ve just discovered ultraslim & it seems to be what I’m looking for.
I’m reading through the thread now so I apologize if I’m asking something already answered.
I’m going to put my PI in an actual arcade cabinet dedicated to classic arcade games and love the boot-up animation.
Can this be set up to run the animation and say recordings I’ve made of random games as a screen saver when the machine isn’t being used?
Thanks.

Rionoskae

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:39 pm

Nitrogen_Widget wrote:I’ve just discovered ultraslim & it seems to be what I’m looking for.
I’m reading through the thread now so I apologize if I’m asking something already answered.
I’m going to put my PI in an actual arcade cabinet dedicated to classic arcade games and love the boot-up animation.
Can this be set up to run the animation and say recordings I’ve made of random games as a screen saver when the machine isn’t being used?
Thanks.
I know the location for the audio and animation are located @ \\ULTRASLIM\Home\media.

I'm sure it can be done...but no idea how you would go about doing so. If you figure it out, be sure to post back here on how you got it done!

Nitrogen_Widget

Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:28 pm

Rionoskae wrote:
Nitrogen_Widget wrote:I’ve just discovered ultraslim & it seems to be what I’m looking for.
Thanks.
I know the location for the audio and animation are located @ \\ULTRASLIM\Home\media.

I'm sure it can be done...but no idea how you would go about doing so. If you figure it out, be sure to post back here on how you got it done!
We also have OMXplayer.
There has to be a way to tell OMXplayer to run video's in a folder when there is a certain period of inactivity on the PI.
A quick google search says you can do it in X but not sure about the framebuffer.

Will be looking into this.

Rionoskae

Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:20 pm

Just a quick update, because I'm pretty sure i'm not flooding this thread with enough posts.... :D

Significant updates were made to my guide over the weekend, For ease of use I've removed the password since the guide is starting to resemble a finished state. I've also added a changelog section that details my progress as well as a To-Do section. I encourage anyone that is using UltraSlim to provide feedback on what other sections you would like to see added! I'll scour this thread once again to see if I missed any common questions.

Again the Link is:
http://everyday-tech.com/the-complete-g ... -pi-image/

Edit:
Thanks for posting the guide on page #1 TakenOver83!!!
Last edited by Rionoskae on Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rionoskae

Re: 11/25 UltraSlim = Retro/Gaming/Q3|XBMC 12/13|Desktop + m

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:17 pm

Etheric wrote:I finally managed to setup a functional build environment and overcome the gotham newclock3 compile issue!

This is the folder where I'll be putting new builds:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9496v8 ... -13-builds

Current build based on newclock3 commit: fab08c6d7d
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jhjhw ... 130.tar.gz

---
Last change - 2014-01-30 : New build published - reverted libcurl openssl thread-safe locking commit
Does this build Have joystick enabled? If so would you mind detailing how you went about adding it? Very interested in getting joystick going with XBMC!

Thanks~

Etheric

Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:59 pm

Rionoskae wrote:
Etheric wrote: Last change - 2014-01-30 : New build published - reverted libcurl openssl thread-safe locking commit
Does this build Have joystick enabled? If so would you mind detailing how you went about adding it? Very interested in getting joystick going with XBMC!

Thanks~
Unfortunately, it doesn't. Trying to enable joystick functionality was something I spent WAY too much time trying to configure, and I eventually found this: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 2&p=395093

I'm waiting until garbear releases the gotham version of retroplayer before looking into it again: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?ti ... pid1650258

Rionoskae

Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:33 am

Etheric wrote:
Rionoskae wrote:
Etheric wrote: Last change - 2014-01-30 : New build published - reverted libcurl openssl thread-safe locking commit

Thanks~
Unfortunately, it doesn't. Trying to enable joystick functionality was something I spent WAY too much time trying to configure, and I eventually found this: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 2&p=395093

I'm waiting until garbear releases the gotham version of retroplayer before looking into it again: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?ti ... pid1650258

Right there with you man! I spent the better part of a week trying to get it working. I'll make u a deal, whoever figures it out first needs to share here;)

Rionoskae

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:53 am

Etheric wrote:I likely won't be posting any new XBMC 13 (Gotham) builds now that I've tested and can confirm that the ones posted in the following thread work with UltraSlim:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176043

I run the wget command in the install section, and rename the file to the format that the updatexbmc script expects.

You can also run the following command to avoid seeing the script error notification on every startup:

rm -r /opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/share/xbmc/addons/script.raspbmc.*
Etheric,

Thanks for posting your method. Update seems to work for the most part....However I get errors when trying to move FEH.py when using the updatexbmc script as you described above. Doesn't seem to matter though, as the latest nightly comes with its own.... So I correct the extract path and get this error:

unable to open display XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Did you not encounter this? Or am I missing something obvious here?

I also downloaded the recommended lib files & elf files as described in your linked thread. No luck yet...

Thanks,
Rionoskae

Etheric

Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:13 pm

Rionoskae wrote: Thanks for posting your method. Update seems to work for the most part....However I get errors when trying to move FEH.py when using the updatexbmc script as you described above. Doesn't seem to matter though, as the latest nightly comes with its own.... So I correct the extract path and get this error:

unable to open display XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Did you not encounter this? Or am I missing something obvious here?

I also downloaded the recommended lib files & elf files as described in your linked thread. No luck yet...

Thanks,
Rionoskae
Did you start with a working build of gotham before upgrading to one of miappas? Feel free to PM me if you'd like some assistance troubleshooting.

Rionoskae

Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Thanks! I sent you a pm with some more details.

Update:
I would just like to thank Etheric for helping me get nightly gotham builds functioning in Ultraslim finally. For anyone else interested in this information I have made a new section for the procedure in my Guide.
Last edited by Rionoskae on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msargenttrue

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:50 pm

Takenover83, awesome distro! I donated, hopefully more will do the same. ;)

Rionoskae, I really appreciate your guide. It definitely helped me figure some of this stuff out.

Here are a few extra things I got working, so feel free to add them to the guide if you find them useful:

1. How to Setup Xbox 360 Controller Support (1 wired controller)
2. How to Use the Xbox Home Button to Exit an Emulator
3. Control Emulation Station with Multiple Controllers

I'm looking forward to how this thread progresses. :D

How to Setup Xbox 360 Controller Support (1 wired controller):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I basically followed this guide (but I updated paths for UltraSlim and included all steps below): http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/useful-con ... ng-centre/

The one’s also useful: https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... controller

Refer to above links for details relating to the wireless Xbox 360 controller or multiple controllers.

Steps for 1 wired controller:

1. Start by installing xbox drivers from the terminal:

sudo apt-get install xboxdrv
2. When the installation is complete edit the rc.local file:

sudo nano /etc/rc.local
3. Add this above the exit 0:

#Xbox controller support
xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --id 0 --led 2 --deadzone 4000 --silent &
sleep 1
4. Save the file
5. Navigate to Retroarch:

cd ~/Emulators/Retroarch
6. While in this directory, input the following command:

./retroarch-joyconfig -o p1.cfg -p 1 -j 0
7. Follow instructions to map buttons.
8. Next use this command to append the button mapping config files to retroarch.cfg (i.e. p1-p4 if mapping multiple controllers):

sudo cat p*.cfg >> ~/Emulators/Retroarch/retroarch.cfg
9. Save and reboot and you should be good to go.

Here’s is the p1.cfg file I ended up with that illustrates the button mapping
(includes home exit button mentioned in next section):

input_player1_joypad_index = "0"
input_player1_b_btn = "1"
input_player1_y_btn = "3"
input_player1_select_btn = "6"
input_player1_start_btn = "7"
input_player1_up_axis = "-7"
input_player1_down_axis = "+7"
input_player1_left_axis = "-6"
input_player1_right_axis = "+6"
input_player1_a_btn = "0"
input_player1_x_btn = "2"
input_player1_l_btn = "4"
input_player1_r_btn = "5"
input_player1_l2_axis = "+2"
input_player1_r2_axis = "+5"
input_player1_l3_btn = "9"
input_player1_r3_btn = "10"
input_player1_l_x_plus_axis = "+0"
input_player1_l_x_minus_axis = "-0"
input_player1_l_y_plus_axis = "+1"
input_player1_l_y_minus_axis = "-1"
input_player1_r_x_plus_axis = "+3"
input_player1_r_x_minus_axis = "-3"
input_player1_r_y_plus_axis = "+4"
input_player1_r_y_minus_axis = "-4"
input_exit_emulator_btn = "8"
How to Use the Xbox Home Button to Exit an Emulator
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: button 8 is the home button on the Xbox 360 wired controller.

Add lines to the bottom of both "retroarch.cfg" and "p1.cfg":

input_exit_emulator_btn = "8"
From: https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... ionStation
View section: My emulator won't close through my gamepad!

Control Emulation Station with Multiple Controllers
----------------------------------------------------------------
I combined a wireless keyboard and wired Xbox 360 controller in es_input.cfg by following the 2nd post here:

Topic: Emulationstation dual controller setup?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 8&p=518721

Here’s my final es_input.cfg for reference:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<inputList>
	<inputConfig type="keyboard">
		<input name="a" type="key" id="13" value="1" />
		<input name="b" type="key" id="27" value="1" />
		<input name="down" type="key" id="274" value="1" />
		<input name="left" type="key" id="276" value="1" />
		<input name="menu" type="key" id="308" value="1" />
		<input name="right" type="key" id="275" value="1" />
		<input name="up" type="key" id="273" value="1" />
	</inputConfig>
	<inputConfig type="joystick" deviceName="Microsoft X-Box 360 pad">
		<input name="a" type="button" id="0" value="1" />
		<input name="b" type="button" id="1" value="1" />
		<input name="down" type="hat" id="0" value="4" />
		<input name="left" type="hat" id="0" value="8" />
		<input name="menu" type="button" id="8" value="1" />
		<input name="right" type="hat" id="0" value="2" />
		<input name="up" type="hat" id="0" value="1" />
	</inputConfig>
</inputList>
Last edited by msargenttrue on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nitrogen_Widget

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:58 pm

ok, I give up.
How do I tell this to auto-boot into final burn alpha front end?
Emulationstation is great and all but there is a documented bug where it crashes when you try to launch anything when the screen is rotated.
I can confirm this bug still exists.

My plan was to put this in an old arcade cabinet to play classic vertical only games.

Thanks.
Edit: never mind, I found it 10 mins. after I asked.

edcredible

Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:28 am

Just a couple things I wanted to ask. On certain boot ups, the image boots with the audio not working, while sometimes it does work. I notice that if I enter XBMC and then exit XBMC, it re-enables the audio. Not sure if this is a known issue or not, or if it is just my image.

2nd, I'm trying to put multiple button mapping for my FBA emulator(fba2x.cfg). This is because of the mix of games in the emulator, some having six buttons while others having four and less. My idea was to copy the directory and modify the cfg files to point to the new directory so an FBA and an FBA2 set up. I would then just separate the games with different mappings into the different rom directories. It seemed to work okay, but when I load the game in the cloned directory, the game loads up the FBA emulator but then goes to a black screen. Is there an easier way to set up multiple mappings? Is it possible to do it the way that I tried? I might have missed a file or something that I need to modify. Any help would be appreciated.

Rionoskae

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:09 pm

edcredible wrote:Just a couple things I wanted to ask. On certain boot ups, the image boots with the audio not working, while sometimes it does work. I notice that if I enter XBMC and then exit XBMC, it re-enables the audio. Not sure if this is a known issue or not, or if it is just my image.

2nd, I'm trying to put multiple button mapping for my FBA emulator(fba2x.cfg). This is because of the mix of games in the emulator, some having six buttons while others having four and less. My idea was to copy the directory and modify the cfg files to point to the new directory so an FBA and an FBA2 set up. I would then just separate the games with different mappings into the different rom directories. It seemed to work okay, but when I load the game in the cloned directory, the game loads up the FBA emulator but then goes to a black screen. Is there an easier way to set up multiple mappings? Is it possible to do it the way that I tried? I might have missed a file or something that I need to modify. Any help would be appreciated.
1.) I haven't personally experienced this audio issue. But I have a few ideas... Does this happen over HDMI audio or stereo output? You could edit the boot config file to force a audio type, see if that helps. Also running "sudo rpi-update" resolved some of my sound issues - Perhaps this may help resolve your issue as well.

2.) If you wanted to map different keys to different games - The way you describe sounds exactly like a system I would conjure up. I can't think of any other way to approach what you are trying to accomplish..... I would be curious to see if the cloned directory worked if you were to delete / comment out the original Emlator info in es_systems.cfg though...

-Rionoskae

Return to “Gaming”