watermouf

Re: 01/16 UltraSlim = Retro/Gaming/Q3|XBMC 12/13|Desktop + m

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:01 am

Knew it was a stupid step i was missing like "scrolling left/right" :P . I have everything running great now minus my controllers so here comes the Last question. OpenELEC my MCE remote works pretty much out of the box, it is much less setup in this image. I used irw to grab keys in OpenELEC and program them in keymaps, but irw does not seem to work. Same thing with my Xbox360 controller, can someone point my towards the proper commands to catch input keys ? and reprogram in emulators, config files? I see a detailed guide is being written above, I would love to help if any help is needed.

Rionoskae

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:54 am

KurtBliss wrote:I tried adding my Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 rom and the PlayStation roms section is not showing up in EmulationStation.

I have a my rom files in "\Home\Roms\psx\Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (USA)"
and 2 files 1 called "data.bin.ecm" and the other is "Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (USA).cue"

Any ideas?
psx files should be in the following format... img .IMG .pbp .PBP .bin .BIN

perhaps remove the .ecm extension and reloading emulation station? Better yet try another rom that is formatted correctly from the start. Should just work.

You should know however before you begin that the psx and n64 emulators aren't really optimized yet. Some games may work if the requirements are not demanding ( harvest moon for example seems to work ).
Last edited by Rionoskae on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rionoskae

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:03 am

watermouf wrote:Knew it was a stupid step i was missing like "scrolling left/right" :P . I have everything running great now minus my controllers so here comes the Last question. OpenELEC my MCE remote works pretty much out of the box, it is much less setup in this image. I used irw to grab keys in OpenELEC and program them in keymaps, but irw does not seem to work. Same thing with my Xbox360 controller, can someone point my towards the proper commands to catch input keys ? and reprogram in emulators, config files? I see a detailed guide is being written above, I would love to help if any help is needed.
I would love to have the help, specifically getting your remotes setup would be a great addition to the guide. unfortunately I don't have either remote to test with, so the best I can do is try to point you in the right direction.

First question:
Do you plan to setup the xbox 360 controller wirelessly? Is the Microsoft remote IR or bluetooth?

Here are a few links to get you started.

https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... controller
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/useful-con ... ng-centre/

watermouf

Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi Rionoskae, feel free to contact me direct, my email is watermouf [AT] gmail. The MCE remote I have is USB and like I said works great in OpenELEC on the pi. Perhaps there is a package that was removed to save space in UltraSlim ? My XBox controller is wired, altho eventually I would like to switch to wireless (One hurdle at a time). I also do have PS3 controllers, but my USB cord is pretty short for it. Ideally i'd like to control the entire system with the remote and the game controller, and be able to switch back and fourth. I will check out the links and report back.

Rionoskae

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:49 pm

Can you give me the model of the remote? I'll see what I can dig up on that...

Its tough to really give any good directions without having tested the devices personally... but I certainly can help setting up your PS3 controller via bluetooth. basically...

Use this guide and follow it exactly:
http://mypiandi.blogspot.com/2012/12/re ... tooth.html

And make sure you have an approved BlueTooth Dongle:
http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Bluetooth_adapters

Apparently the Xbox controllers work via radio and not bluetooth....Looks like you will need a specialty reciever for wireless via the Xbox remote... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Wireless-G ... B000MGVAAQ

Takenover83

Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Many have tried getting XBMC 12.* compiled with joystick support. Just error after error. Guess there are reason's it's disabled on every build of XBMC for the pi. Thank's for the donations. Whenever I tell the wife I get a donation (which is like 3 times, out of thousands of downloads), it makes me feel proud for all those hours I did spend throwing this together. Real life has been keeping me pretty busy as of late, so I apoligize I have not been around to answer the boat load of questions. But for the most part, when I have not been around, the community and google get's the job done :D

My two pi's are still going strong. One being operated by a 7 & 8 year old. A testiment of how easy it is to use.

Rionoskae

Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:41 pm

Indeed...I couldn't find a version compiled with joystick...believe me I looked :) Although a number of people have claimed to have gotten working... I have to find out myself if its possible or not... Hopefully i'm not just wasting a crap load of time here.

Specifically it was this post that gave me hope that it may be possible...
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 2&p=395093

However I fear you may be right... I've seen a few times that it doesn't compile in 12.x - I could venture forth with 13.x - but if it's not stable...is it really worth all this trouble?? sigh... It can never just be simple!

In any case, good to have you back TakenOver.

Rionoskae

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:07 pm

Well now I feel like an idiot....haha.

So I was taking another look at the gotham github page that you linked....and I found the configure file. Guess what? Joystick enabled=default!! Hopefully the December version includes this.....

https://github.com/popcornmix/xbmc/blob ... nfigure.in

Well at least I didn't waste the whole weekend compiling xbmc..... Ah well...l learned a lot if nothing else. I'll give it a try tonight to confirm.
Last edited by Rionoskae on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

watermouf

Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:07 am

So I have made some progress since my last post...

My remote looks just like this http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/mce ... 911-06.jpg
I assume HP_RC1804911 maybe the model number

LIRCs sourceforge page has this config even listed for the remote
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/mce ... onf.mceusb

I tried it, and did gain function of more buttons, but still not full working

so I started comparing OpenELEC config to the UltraSlim specifically /etc/lirc/ and the keymaps .xml's
what I found was the OpenELEC LIRC config file was similar to the one linked above on LIRCs page, but with a few additions, so what i did was copy over the config with the keymaps from openelec to ultraSlims respective locations, and my function has almost increasted to 75% of the remote, with a few tweaks im pretty sure as far as mapping keys I will be successful. I would be more then happy to share my steps.

but a brand new issue has come up now, anytime i press a button it is pressed multiple times. so if i go left it goes left twice, i googled it and found ppl with similar problems. but their remotes seemed to repeat buttons a static amount of times (i.e. any button pressed would repeat 5 times, or 3 times) mine seems to repeat randomly on left or up and down. When i remove all the config files and reset back to normal i can press ENTER and have directionally key use on the remote. and suprsingly the printer button does a screenshot/printscreen. the keys dont skip i know the remote hardware is good, it works perfect as mentioned with openELEC out of box, wonder what other configs I could be missing.

As help for your documentation and I would be happy to break it down in simpler steps I have been following this documentation
http://www.jamesrobertson.eu/blog/2013/ ... pbian.html
I know the key is here, but I am missing something

Rionoskae

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:39 pm

Rionoskae wrote:Well now I feel like an idiot....haha.

So I was taking another look at the gotham build that you linked....and I found the configure file. Guess what? Joystick enabled=default!! Hopefully the December version includes this.....

https://github.com/popcornmix/xbmc/blob ... nfigure.in

Well at least I didn't waste the whole weekend compiling xbmc..... Ah well...l learned a lot if nothing else. I'll give it a try tonight to confirm.
Well It didn't appear that the gotham build that TakenOver linked was configured with joystick.... So I'm moving on to the gotham nightlys. Again, Will document this process in my guide :)
Last edited by Rionoskae on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rionoskae

Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:02 pm

A few days ago - I announced that I will be putting together a complete resource guide for the UltraSlim image. I decided to make it available early for anyone here that is having issues & for others to offer up ideas for additional sections or content they would like to see.

Please keep in mind that the post is still very much just a workspace for me, Many sections are still incomplete, need to be re-written or formatted. The post hasn't been made visible to the public yet. It is set to private, but can be accessed with the password "UltraSlim"

http://everyday-tech.com/the-complete-g ... -pi-image/

I encourage anyone that wishes to leave feedback to leave a note in the comments section and I will do my best to address it.

~Cheers

silviodelgado70

Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:24 pm

silviodelgado 70 wrote:
I have a problem in ultraslim. I installed zenity and when I try to run xbmc it give me an error.

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ sudo /opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone
/opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin: symbol lookup error: /opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin: undefined symbol: _ZTIN6TagLib8IOStreamE
What's going wrong?
Thanks in advance.

I have a second problem in xbmc. I added a video/music source using samba and when I try to access to this it shows me a message that say:
Network is not connected
I'm running ssh on my desktop computer without problem, so what's the problem with the network?

By the way, congratulations for this awesome work, it is really useful to run xbmc and xserver in rpi in the same distro. This is what I was hoping to get since meet raspberry pi.
I think my problem is related to this package:
libtag1-vanilla

Since the fresh ultraslim system runs xbmc and it fails to run this after installing zenity, the problem is reduced to the packages that are installed or removed. It removes the above mentioned package, netsurf and librsv2-2. I saw in other topic the dependencies of this xbmc build and the only package, needed of these three, is libtag1-vanilla. Then I manually install this packages and the problem still exist. So I figure that my repo (mirror in my desktop computer's hdd – my Rpi doesn’t have Internet access) has an "invalid" libtag1-vanilla package.
I finally got xbmc running again after replacing all the files needed (vanilla libraries) from the fresh ultraslim system. But the problem with the network is still there.
Is it possible to play shared videos with samba (using xbmc build in ultraslim)?

Peteyjay

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:08 pm

Hey guys!

I've managed to figure out my issue with the Sega controls etc. Needed to alter the retroarch-cores-options to have 6 button instead of 3 button layout on picodrive.

I have now however encountered a new problem altogether.

At the moment my pi is booting into 480p, which makes emulationstation and XBMC look pretty shoddy. But this is best for performance of emulators and games etc.

What I was wondering is if it was possible to have the pi boot into full 1080p mode, then upon selection of a game, a script would be ran which changes the resolution to 480p. Upon exiting the rom/emulator the pi would of course need to return back to 1080p mode.

I think this may have something to do with the es_systems.cfg and the runcommands of each emulator. Runcommand2 maintains the screenmode I believe while runcommand1 changes it. But I'm unsure how I would go about specifying what resolution each emulator would need to run at, and worse, how I would prepare the system to return nicely to 1080p afterwards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Rionoskae

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:17 pm

Are you using HDMI or composite?

I could be mistaken, but I believe composite video only supports 480...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

Rionoskae

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:27 am

Ok... for the life of me I can't figure out how to get nightlys going in XBMC...

I tried numerous threads including TakenOvers own thread detailing the upgrade process:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/viewto ... 35&t=61765

Can anyone possibly guide me in the right direction here?

edcredible

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:50 am

Just wondering if anyone has been able to get a USB gamepad to control XBMC. I've tried keymapping with no luck.

Takenover83

Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:39 am

Rionoskae wrote:A few days ago - I announced that I will be putting together a complete resource guide for the UltraSlim image. I decided to make it available early for anyone here that is having issues & for others to offer up ideas for additional sections or content they would like to see.

Please keep in mind that the post is still very much just a workspace for me, Many sections are still incomplete, need to be re-written or formatted. The post hasn't been made visible to the public yet. It is set to private, but can be accessed with the password "UltraSlim"

I encourage anyone that wishes to leave feedback to leave a note in the comments section and I will do my best to address it.

~Cheers
That's pretty awesome. When you are ready, I can add the link to post #1 if you like, to bring in more traffic.

Peteyjay

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:39 am

I'm using HDMI and my TV can support up to 1080p.

Rionoskae

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:36 am

Takenover83 wrote:
Rionoskae wrote:A few days ago - I announced that I will be putting together a complete resource guide for the UltraSlim image. I decided to make it available early for anyone here that is having issues & for others to offer up ideas for additional sections or content they would like to see.

~Cheers
That's pretty awesome. When you are ready, I can add the link to post #1 if you like, to bring in more traffic.
That would be great. I'll try to do you proud TakenOver :D

Quick status update...
I've finally managed to nail down a process for updating to a nightly build. However I'm still not seeing the programs>xbmc settings option...If I look in the directory where it should be there is no addon script for it...not sure yet how I would patch it in...or maybe I just need to try a different nightly...
/home/pi/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/script.raspbmc.settings/settings.xml

Once I get joystick working in xbmc ( hoping the latest nightlys will do that for me), the rest of the guide should fall into place fairly quickly. Almost all other sections have been tested working. I have off tomorrow - So I'm hoping to make a big dent in it over the next few days.

I would also just like to note that I have dissected the image to a point that could only be rivaled by TakenOver himself:) And I would just like to say that I have yet to encounter any "missing" dependencies that were removed to make the image "slim".

silviodelgado70

Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:40 pm

silviodelgado70 wrote:
Is it possible to play shared videos with samba (using xbmc build in ultraslim)?
Anybody? Thanks any way.

Edit: Sorry for posting this two times.
Last edited by silviodelgado70 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silviodelgado70

Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:43 pm

silviodelgado70 wrote:
Anybody? Thanks any way.

Rionoskae

Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:20 pm

silviodelgado70 wrote:
silviodelgado70 wrote:
Anybody? Thanks any way.
I think I've covered this step in my guide posted earlier in the thread. "Adding Media" - Under the XBMC section.

For future reference, If you are looking for information on using XBMC specifically - You will probably be better served checking out the XBMC community forums / guides / youtube videos.

-Rionoskae

Peteyjay

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:17 pm

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but could anyone help me with the following please:

1- Is it possible to remove the transitions between emulator selection?

2- How do I force my emulators to stretch into widescreen mode as opposed to them maintaining the 4:3 ratio?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

silviodelgado70

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Rionoskae wrote:
silviodelgado70 wrote:
silviodelgado70 wrote:
Anybody? Thanks any way.
I think I've covered this step in my guide posted earlier in the thread. "Adding Media" - Under the XBMC section.

For future reference, If you are looking for information on using XBMC specifically - You will probably be better served checking out the XBMC community forums / guides / youtube videos.

-Rionoskae
Rionoskae, thank you very much for your answer.
I’m sorry; I think I didn’t ask correctly. I know how to do that, I’ve used Raspbmc and OpenELEC without a problem. But when I try to do that using ultraslim it shows me an error message (“Network not connected”). I explained this in my first post in this topic. So my question is:
Is possible to play shared videos using samba in the ultraslim’s xmbc build?
Excuse me if I am a pain …

Rionoskae

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:52 pm

Ah...interesting.

I can't really test it right now since I'm compiling Gotham from scratch ( this will take all day ...if no errors occur! )

However I will try to test when I am able, I can verify that it is working via my CIFS shares from my FreeNas box just fine though....

I guess for the time being I would try updating to the gotham version from post#1 and see if it works.

Return to “Gaming”