TheStig

Re: 01/16 UltraSlim = Retro/Gaming/Q3|XBMC 12/13|Desktop + m

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:12 pm

I'm having trouble with 1.6 running correctly on first boot. It goes by so fast and I can't find a log file, but after going through the config menus and correctly going through everything (resizing, language, time zone, etc), and letting the first-run script reboot it instead of the config, it has a red warning (I can't read it, I've tried several times) and starts screwing up. It doesn't resize the file system, and when that first prompt comes up that says press enter to remove it completely, I get stuck in an infinite loop. I press enter and the image goes away bringing up the command line that says to press enter to remove it, which I do and then the image is brought back up, and so I press enter again, and this time it goes away and comes back without me having to press enter in the command line, and now I'm stuck in a loop. If I force myself out, upon starting emulationstation is missing all emulators and it was never resized. I can't find any change to the SD card if I put it back into my computer's SD card reader. Perhaps I'm too new to be trying something like this, but I had hoped it would be more strait forward. I've tried two different SD cards in case the problem was that, and there's no success.

edit: I should say, in retroarch what happens is when I try to configure the joystick 0, it says "no such file or directory" then exits back to EmulationStation. And no, my SD cards are not set to lock. Is there a link to an older version that I can try? I can't find a download to a v1.5 image to see if it's me or the new v1.6.

Takenover83

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:35 pm

1.6 has been downloaded near a 100 times by now. So I doubt it's a issue with it. But here is the link to 1.5 if you wanna give it a whirl. UltraSlim v1.5

Reformat the card with SDFormater and start from scratch. After running Raspiconfig, resizing etc, tell it no when it ask to reboot. It will exit, and then the script will reboot for you. Once you have rebooted do a "df -h" to see if you have any free space.

TheStig

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:46 am

Okay. I do not understand what is going wrong. The root directory is fully expanded, however I get the same error and same results as before. Do I need to have an active internet connection via ethernet in order for this to work? I took my camera out and got a picture of the first error that occurred, and also got the warning that occurred after that. The fail was on "Killing all remaing processes...failed", and I then got a warning that the boot directory was either out or running out of space (was unsure, text did not remain on screen long enough), and then I got stuck in the loop I previously mentioned. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm following all instructions to the letter on new hardware. The only things I have connected to my raspberry pi are my TFT LCD display via RCA, the power, the SD card, a wireless keyboard, and a wireless-n usb device, and that's it. I don't get what's happening. Did I do everything right, but I simply can't configure a joystick because I don't HAVE one, and therefore can't access any emulators at all? What am I missing? The only menu items in emulationstation related to emulators are the configurejoysticks for retroarch, update emulators, and the one that grabs the box art. ConfigureJoystick doesn't work because a file or directory is missing. There's no other link on the ES Menu. I also can't double-check what's going on in the root directory because when I put the SD card back into a reader, only the boot is visible. Is that also normal? I'm using the reader built in to my Asus EEE 1015pn netbook, and I just saw a thread describing that some built-in sd card readers have trouble with win32diskimager, but I mounted my image successfully without errors.

Takenover83

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:06 am

If your file system is truly expanded then do the following, will get you out of the loop.
sudo touch /var/log/firstboot-donotdelete.log

If you have no joystick to configure you should not be using the script to configure a joystick for retroarch. I am pretty sure Retroarch already has mapping's for the keyboard by default. You can access the emulators just fine with only a keyboard, as long as you have rom's to use with said emulators.

Windows will only see the fat32 partition when inserted into your reader. This is normal. It will not see the ext4 partition, as windows does not support that file system.

TheStig

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:35 am

Okay. Forget me. I'm a complete idiot. There was nothing telling me to push left or right to swtich between screens, and so it never occurred to me to give that input. I am sorry for wasting your time.

Nukkinphutz1729

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:42 pm

This is my favorite image for the RPi so far. The optimizations make my roms feel much more responsive. Thank you for all the work you put into this, Takenover83!

I'm a Linux and Raspberry Pi newbie. RetroPie and now UltraSlim have motivated me to learn a bit about command line Linux.

Mostly, I only have the skills to follow directions, but I'm willing to contribute to further this project in whatever capacity I am able.

So far, I succeeded in getting a PS3 Dual Shock controller up and running and successfully patched and compiled GPSP (Gameboy Advance) to work and appear in Emulationstation.

Next up, I need to figure out how to boot UltraSlim up and have it auto start straight into XBMC. If I'm feeling really ambitious, I will try modifying the update script to include GPSP and some other emulator cores I want to test out.

If anyone wants to share some pointers for either getting XBMC auto starting from Emulationstation or modifying the update script to include more emulator cores, I would be grateful.

Takenover83

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:19 am

Look at modifying the "startup" script in home. Currently it loads emulationstation. on startup. But you could possibly have it load emulationstation, wait a few seconds, then load the xbmc script. Try adding/replacing the following in that "startup" script. I have not tested the change. But let me know if it works.

Code: Select all

else
   [ -n "${SSH_CONNECTION}" ] || emulationstation &
   [ -n "${SSH_CONNECTION}" ] || sleep 2 
   [ -n "${SSH_CONNECTION}" ] || ~/Roms/apps/XBMC.sh
fi
Edit: Looks like that doesnt work as I would expect. I think emulationstation is having problems grabbing input, after xbmc exits.

Nukkinphutz1729

Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Thanks for steering me to the right place. As you stated, ES can't detect input after loading, but modifying startup and reversing the order boots to XMBC that on exit drops out into Emulationstation!

Takenover83

Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:03 am

Nukkinphutz1729 wrote:Thanks for steering me to the right place. As you stated, ES can't detect input after loading, but modifying startup and reversing the order boots to XMBC that on exit drops out into Emulationstation!

Ah yes. The reason, it works that way, is because emulationstation will not load until xbmc exits (because it has no "&" sign" so it has to wait to finish before moving to the next command). You can however remove the "&" sign from the 2nd line. But having it there is not hurting anything.

Etheric

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:50 pm

XBMC 13 Gotham recently started requiring the libxslt package to run. If you don't already have it installed, here is how to do it:

sudo apt-get install libxslt1.1
Last edited by Etheric on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spencerp

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:54 pm

This is amazing! I have 2 questions though.

1) I installed the emulators I wanted to use but they aren't showing up in the main menu do I need to enable something?

2) How do I use samba too add roms to the pi?

Sorry I'm a noob to this so I don't know what I'm doing at all

Takenover83

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:38 pm

1: Add roms to the correct folders
2: It just works. Windows should auto detect the share if on the same network, and you don't have some wierd firewall blocking it.

Takenover83

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:36 am

Etheric wrote:XBMC 13 Gotham recently started requiring the libxslt package to run. If you don't already have it installed, here is how to do it:

sudo apt-get install libxslt1.1
Repost (due to forum rollback)
I got around to testing your latest gotham build. Installed just fine via updatexbmc. Thanks for sharing.

primeform

Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:45 am

Takenover good stuff dude! Just bought a pi so I can set this up on it. I have zer0 linux skills so I hope I can pull it off. My first of many questions is what are the advantages or disadvantages of booting this from a usb flash drive instead of the SD card?

Etheric

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:20 pm

Takenover83 wrote: Repost (due to forum rollback)
I got around to testing your latest gotham build. Installed just fine via updatexbmc. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome! Just published another new build.

qqplayer

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:10 pm

Congratulations for this fabulous distro.
How can i add vice emulator to emulationstation.
I can run it from lxde but its impossible to run it onto emulationstation.
Thanks.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

dan3008

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:54 am

you'll need to eddit your es_systems.config file (I think thats what its called, my cat broke my SD card, and i'm waiting for a new one in the post so i cant check it)
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

primeform

Re: 11/25 UltraSlim = Retro/Gaming/Q3|XBMC 12/13|Desktop + m

Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:20 am

Takenover83 wrote:Here is my xbmc.sh script, which starts the xboxdrv and kills it when I quit xbmc. I use it on a 2.4ghz ps3 controller but you should have a eaiser go with a official xbox 360 controller. You may need to google how to setup the xboxdrv.

#!/bin/bash
setterm -cursor off
sudo xboxdrv --type xbox360 --config ps3.ini --silent > /dev/null 2>&1 &
sleep 1
mkdir -p ~/.xbmc
clear
/opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone &> ~/.xbmc/temp.log
setterm -cursor on
sudo killall xboxdrv
echo "xbmc script done"
Here is my ps3.ini that I use with xboxdrv. Yours will be a bit different but gives you a idea of what needs done to get it working in xbmc.

# Example configuration for the Playstation 3 controller
#
# Note this only works when connected with USB, when using Bluetooth a
# different configuration is required. 

[xboxdrv]
evdev = /dev/input/by-id/usb-Gasia_Co._Ltd_PS_R__Gamepad-event-joystick
evdev-grab = true
evdev-debug = true
ui-clear = true
extra-devices = false
extra-events = false
deadzone = 6000

[evdev-absmap]
ABS_X   = x1
ABS_Y   = y1
ABS_Z   = x2
ABS_RZ  = y2
ABS_HAT0Y   = dpad_y
ABS_HAT0X   = dpad_x

[evdev-keymap]
BTN_TOP2    = lb
BTN_PINKIE  = rb
BTN_BASE5   = tl
BTN_BASE6   = tr
BTN_THUMB2  = a
BTN_THUMB   = b
BTN_TOP     = x
BTN_TRIGGER = y
BTN_BASE3   = back
BTN_BASE4   = start
BTN_BASE    = lt
BTN_BASE2   = rt

[ui-buttonmap]
# Face buttons
A = KEY_ENTER
B = KEY_BACKSPACE
X = KEY_X
Y = KEY_ESC

# D-Pad
du = KEY_UP
dd = KEY_DOWN
dl = KEY_LEFT
dr = KEY_RIGHT

# Start / Back buttons
start = KEY_SPACE
back = KEY_O

# Bumper Left / Right
lb = KEY_C # Left bumper
rb = KEY_I # Right bumper

# Stick buttons
TL = KEY_W # Left stick buttons
TR = BTN_LEFT # Right stick buttons

# Triggers Right / Left
RT = KEY_EQUAL # Right trigger
LT = KEY_MINUS # Left trigger

[ui-axismap]
#x2=REL_RX:10
#y2=REL_RY:-10

x1=REL_X:10
y1=REL_Y:10

# EOF #
My current 1.5 setup I released has been working well for me, and I haven't felt the need to release a update. If you want to add emulator's, its not difficult to do so. Just throw em in the proper directory to get them showing in emulationstation. I may release updates to xbmc however. Also, ethernet works out of the box via dhcp. If you use wireless, just google how to set it up (your network info), and it will also work.
Has anyone done this for the Xbox360 controller yet? Over my head trying to convert his files to xbox.. :?

pomme

Re: 11/25 UltraSlim = Retro/Gaming/Q3|XBMC 12/13|Desktop + m

Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:55 am

primeform wrote:Has anyone done this for the Xbox360 controller yet? Over my head trying to convert his files to xbox.. :?
I am not able to test right now but you could try this in place of the ps3.ini

# XBMC Configuration
# ==================

#X1: 0 Y1: 0 X2: 0 Y2: 0  du:0 dd:0 dl:0 dr:0  start:0 back:0  TL:0 TR:0  A: 0 B: 0 X: 0 Y: 0  black: 0 white: 0  LT: 0 RT: 0

[xboxdrv]
#ui-clear = true
extra-devices = false
extra-events = false
deadzone = 6000
device-name = "Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller"

[ui-buttonmap]
# Face buttons
A = KEY_ENTER
B = KEY_BACKSPACE
X = KEY_X
Y = KEY_ESC

# D-Pad
du = KEY_UP
dd = KEY_DOWN
dl = KEY_LEFT
dr = KEY_RIGHT

# Start / Back buttons
start = KEY_SPACE
back = KEY_L

# Bumper Left / Right
white = KEY_C
black = KEY_I

# Stick buttons
TL = BTN_RIGHT # Left stick buttons
TR = BTN_LEFT # Right stick buttons

# Triggers Right / Left
RT = KEY_EQUAL # Right trigger
LT = KEY_MINUS # Left trigger

[ui-axismap]
#x2=REL_RX:10
#y2=REL_RY:-10

x1=REL_X:10
y1=REL_Y:10

# The resp filter moves the neutral position to zero to work around a
# bug in XBMC, that causes bogus events when neutral position is
# elsewhere. It loses a bit of precision in the trigger as result, but
# that isn't noticeable.
LT^resp:127:255=ABS_Z
RT^resp:127:255=ABS_RZ

# EOF #
I would love it if this worked. Been stumped on this one for a while now. I am having to use an RF remote to control XBMC launched from Emulationstation. Would love to just keep using the 360 controller.

primeform

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:22 pm

Going to work on the xbox360 controller more this week when i get some time. Has anyone got shaders to work on the emulators? I want to get scanlines and such going but havent had any luck.

Etheric

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:20 am

I likely won't be posting any new XBMC 13 (Gotham) builds now that I've tested and can confirm that the ones posted in the following thread work with UltraSlim:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176043

I run the wget command in the install section, and rename the file to the format that the updatexbmc script expects.

You can also run the following command to avoid seeing the script error notification on every startup:

rm -r /opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/share/xbmc/addons/script.raspbmc.*

mczero

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:34 am

Same here, best RPi Image for me.

No more joypad nightmare with retropie, and integrated XBMC- everything I always wanted.

Any chance on getting amiga emulator in UltraSlim? This was my favourite system back in the early 90s.

Thank you for your effort!!

dan3008

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:00 pm

Been working with UltraSlim for a while, and once i've got all my emulators working, I'll be making an install script for them :) it'll be interactive, and i'll include as many emulators as I can, and then you just pick which you want to install :)
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

mczero

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:34 am

@dan3008 fantastic!!

ckoenig673

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:44 pm

Next idea would be to make the EmuStation work with the Android/iPhone XBMC remote. One remote for them all...

Return to “Gaming”