This is just something I have been tinkering with in my spare time. It comes with very little support. Feel free to give it a whirl if it sounds like something you are interested in. Base was Raspbian. Fits on any SD card 2GB and up (install size is ~1.2GB), which is pretty amazing for everything it contains.
You boot into EmulationStation. From there you can choose what you want to do. Media? Load up XBMC or use omxplayer. Want to switch to something else? Just quit out of it and you are thrown back into EmulationStation. Want to surf the web? Load up LXDE. Logout and you are thrown back into EmulationStation. Q3A? Get your frag on. Exit, that and go retro. It's all very seemless for the most part. Details below.
- LXDE (minimal desktop with just a file manager, netsurf, terminal, etc..)
- XBMC - 12.3 Frodo or Gotham 13 (Frodo installed by default, can switch out with my xbmc update script)
- Omxplayer w/theme (for emulationstation)
- Lots of little tweaks for less memory usage.
- EmulationStation (boots to this, where you can launch other stuff, like emulators, LXDE, XBMC, etc..)
- Quake III Arena (just copy pak files to correct directory)
- Overclocked to 900/450/450/2 (can edit config.txt if you do not want the overclock)
- Retroarch... with cores for
- Muppen64plus (N64) - (very much alpha and none retroarch core).
- piFBA (CPS1/2) (none retroarch core)
- mame4all-pi (Mame) (non retroarch core) uncomment in es_systems.cfg [mame section] to enable in emulationstation
I know this does not contain every emulator out there, but I was going for a slim build, so I picked what I thought were the popular ones.
Samba is installed and user pi's home directory is shared. Makes copying rom's or other large files a breeze.
Lirc (remote support) is installed and enabled. Just copy your lircd.conf to /etc/lirc.
SSH = pi/raspberry
You can put your own scripts in ~/Roms/apps/ and it will show in EmulationStation.
- Roms location = ~/Roms/
- Retroarch main config = ~/Emulators/Retroarch/retroarch.cfg
- Retroarch core configs = ~/Emulators/Retroarch/configs/[emu]/retroarch.cfg
- emulationstation config = ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg
- emulationstation mappings = ~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg
How to update XBMC or switch to Gotham:
I might release updates to xbmc every now and again. I build the updates myself on my pc and upload to dropbox. Frodo is installed by default.
1: Download: Frodo (last updated 01/15/14) or Gotham (last updated 05/04/14)
2: Copy that file to your home directory (/home/pi)
3: Run the commands below.
- Code: Select all
#1: Flash image with something like windisk32imager or dd.
#2: "raspi-config" will run on the first boot. Make sure to resize your file system, set regional settings, time-zone, etc..
#3: Do not reboot from raspi-config. Instead select No if it ask to reboot. This allows the first boot script to finish. (which will reboot for you)
UltraSlim Guide by Rionoskae
User Rionoskae has created a excellent guide for using UltraSlim here.
The Complete Guide To The UltraSlim Raspberry Pi Image
7zip MD5 = 913e4fb35b0f32caf20afaa0d1622c2f ~288MB
- Changed the name from UltimateSlim to UltraSlim
- Better directory structure
- Compiled all the cores myself, retroarch should be faster
- Disabled rewind by default in retroarch.
- Default hostname changed to UltraSlim
- 11/1: Now includes a basic script for updating the emu's. Use at your own risk (;p)
- 11/1: Added preload. Should help with responsiveness
- 11/1: Smaller image, file system still 1.2GB once installed. Misc changes.
- 11/1: Fixed XBMC not showing exit option
- 11/5: Added runcommand.sh script, enabled by default
- 11/5: Updated the update script. You can now choose what to update.
- 11/5: Fixed startup script error on ssh connection
- 11/5: Reduced install size another ~100MB. Install size is now 1.1GB
- 11/5: Download size decreased by 30MB (from 279MB to 249MB)
- 11/5: Added Cave Story and Doom cores.
- 11/5: Updated Emulators and cores
- 11/9: Added ES scraper.py (scan for box art)
- 11/9: Added a script for easy access to scraper.py
- 11/9: BLANK_TIME=0 (fixes emulationstation bug)
- 11/9: POWERDOWN_TIME=0 (fixes emulationstation bug)
- 11/9: Added piFBA
- 11/9: Updated update script to include piFBA.
- 11/9: Added "quiet" option to cmdline.txt. Speeds up boot time.
- 11:9: Added sounds directory to .emulationstation (fixes emulationstation sound errors) in console.
- 11:9: Created generic theme (rpi colors) for Apps/Scripts. Got tired of looking at the white screen ;p
- 11/19: Kernel, 3.10.18 via rpi-update.
- 11/19: Disabled zram (new kernel does not include support for it).
- 11/19: Applied this fix (helps with stability when overclocking).
- 11/19: Enabled auto fsck on boot.
- 11/19: gcc/g++/cpp 4.7 installed and set as default via system links.
- 11/19: Added Dinothawr w/theme for emulationstation.
- 11/19: Memory split set to 110 (I think thats all xbmc needs)
- 11/19: Added omxplayer w/theme for emulationstation.
- 11/19: Startup script now checks if raspi-config has ran before running emulationstation.
- 11/21: Fixed dinothawr missing retroarch cfg/directory
- 11/21: Deleted my dinothawr save
- 11/21: dino_timer = "disabled" in retroarch core options (for Dinothawr)
- 11/21: Added intro video on bootup. Removed sample media I had on there before (bunny)
- 11/21: Updated omxplayer to 0.3.3
- 11/21: Tweaked piFBA emulationstation theme to differentiate between mame/fba.
- 11/21: Added imame4all-pi (not set as default. uncomment to enable in es_systems.cfg)
- 11/25: Updated kernel via rpi-update from 3.10.18 to 3.10.19.
- 11/25: Removed VNC. Not sure anyone was really making use of it. If you need it, re-install it via apt-get
- 11/25: Newer build of xbmc Frodo 12.2 via this git. Based on changes from 12.3 from what I understand.
- 11/25: Removed some more stuff that was not needed. (~100MB)
- 11/25: Updated emulators (built 11/24/13)
- 11/25: Left some free space this time around.
- 11/25: Raspi-config set to only boot on the very 1st boot.
- 11/25: Added xbmc update script. See instructions above.
- 11/25: Edited first boot script. Hopefully prevents looping. See instructions above.
- 01/16: Added couple missing packages
- 01/16: Updated xbmc.sh
- 01/16: Emulators updated
- 01/16: rpi-update for newest kernel fixes 3.10.26
- 01/16: accelerated X driver (click here for info)
- 01/16: Updated XBMC frodo to 12.3 built on 01/15/14
- 01/16: omxplayer update to 1/06/2014
- 01/16: Added a general info screen to EmulationStation (can be removed)
Like UltraSlim? Want to show your thank's? Buy me a drink.