SpamAllan

Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3

Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi guys,

I have been playing around with RetroPie this weekend and I am amazed by the results. I do have one question however.

Has anyone managed to get either Secret of Mana or Seiken Densetsu working well??

I can get both to run on pocketsnes but with terrible music quality and some text appearing squashed. I tried to switch to PiSnes as I had heard that was better. While this fixed the sound problems it made the text even worse (borderline eligible). I have the Pi overclocked to modest, about to try on medium.

Thanks,

Sam

welshy

Re: Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:55 am

SpamAllan
Neither game contained an enhancement chip so that's not the issue. I replied to a similar problem a user was having with another non-enhancement game, it worked fine in the PiSNES Binary (not using Retro Pie), perhaps this is the same problem? I don't use RetroPie but in RetroArch (RetroPie is, to all intensive purposes, RetroArch with an Emulation Station Front End) pressing F1 brings up a Menu where the aspect ratio can be altered in the Graphics option which may help with the 'text appearing squashed'. It should be noted PiSNES sound/music output is far better than PocketSnes, try the 'Stand Alone' PiSNES Binary it may solve the issue, or it could just be that it doesn't work correctly in emulators!

Here - http://code.google.com/p/pisnes/source/browse/
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

SpamAllan

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. I just tried it on a fresh install of PiSnes and get the same problem for Seiken Densetsu as I did on the PiSnes bit of RetroPie.

It looks like there isn't quite room on the screen for each character. For example when I am the screen where I can name a character the letters are all cut off half way through. Could this be to do with the fact I installed a translation on the original ROM??

Thanks,
Sam

PS I can upload a photo if that would be helpful?

LemmeFatale

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:22 pm

These two games represent half of the four games that use the SNES' high-resolution mode to display some of the graphics - in this case, the text. The SNES emulators for the Raspberry Pi (as well as other similar ARM-based systems) are typically based on very old versions of the emulators in question, so as to offer better performance, and there was a time when these older versions didn't support all of the SNES' graphics modes (they usually ran some games, such as Star Fox, at twice their actual speed, too, due to incorrect emulation of on-cartridge add-on chips).

Unless an emulator is available that supports the high-resolution mode, then unfortunately, you're not going to be able to get around this one, I'm afraid. :(
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

SpamAllan

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:56 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! I was really looking forward to Seiken. Good job I still have secret of mana and a multitap on my real snes!!

Seriously though, thanks for the info. I will wait with bated breath for a better emulator....

Vanfanel

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:08 pm

Even if these hi-res modes are ever emulated, a good SPC700 emulation will never happen on the Pi. The only good SPC700 emulation there is (Blargg's work) is way above the Pi's CPU capabilities, so you'll always have incorrect audio in games (bad rythm and timming, broken effects), far from the real SNES audio.

Good SNES emulation won't be possible on the Pi so I wouln't insist on it.
The Pi is awesome as it is: it can emulate the Sega Mega Drive, MegaCD, NES, PCE.. all with good results *if* you compile retroarch + cores. Why insisting in playing a system like the SNES on the Pi with poor results?

toxibunny

Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:02 am

Seiken Densetsu 3 was always a lot more difficult to emulate for some reason - It wouldn't run on a 350mhz Pentium ii, but would run okay on a k6 500mhz. That was using DOS zsnes way back in the day, which was pretty heavily optimised... I think the only other one I was bothered about that wouldn't run comfortably until after my upgrade was Yoshi's island.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

LemmeFatale

Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Vanfanel wrote:The only good SPC700 emulation there is (Blargg's work) is way above the Pi's CPU capabilities, so you'll always have incorrect audio in games (bad rythm and timming, broken effects), far from the real SNES audio.
Snes9x4P (the Pandora version of Snes9x4D, for the Dingoo A320, which is based on Snes9x 1.39) features a toggleable hack for those issues (as well as setting the rate to 32KHz by default, as a real SNES uses), which largely fixes the problems. It sounds little different to the much-better audio emulation in Snes9x 1.43 (though I wouldn't expect that to run so well on the Raspberry Pi - I think 1.39 is the happy medium, there).
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

Return to “Gaming”