ric_rpi

Re: WIP: Playable Nintendo 64 Emulator Available

Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:01 pm

I don't think there is any hotkey functionality built in but you if you have a free button, you can assign it to one of the 'core events' listed in the mupen64plus.cfg file. There is one event to shut the emulator down so you could set the parameter e.g. 'J1B9' (for joystick 1 button 9).

Dutch

Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:40 am

I am hoping someone can help me. I am new to RPi and trying to compile the build for Mupen64+, but continue to encounter the following error:

Please set CONF_SWAPSIZE to >= 402 in /etc/dphys-swapfile and run 'sudo dphys-swapfile setup; sudo reboot'

I've read around for days on the forum, and people experiencing similar issues as I have that have successfully made the referenced changes to their swapfile allowing the build to continue. Unfortunately when I make the change,reboot my RPi, and re-run the sudo ./build.sh command I get the same error message. However, the error message switches between the numbers 402 to 100 as the setting.

I've made several changes to the swapfile and am still unable to compile the build in order to install. My RPi is the B+, running a 32GB SanDisk Extreme Class 10 SDHC micro SD card. This is a clean install of RetroPie v2.3 that has been installed from the image file. I've followed the below set of directions and nothing is working.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=58395
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... &start=275

Any help is much appreciated.

ric_rpi

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:19 am

Apologies for the bug in the ./build.sh script maths.

You need to increase CONF_SWAPSIZE further. There needs to be at least 750MB of memory available in order to compile/optimize mupen64plus so you need to add more virtual memory.

Try running 'free -m -t' to see how many MB of memory you have.

Edit: ./build.sh should now output the correct value.

Dutch

Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:50 pm

Thanks ric_rpi. I was able to get Mupen64Plus built and installed with the information you provided. However, now I am unable to run any of the roms. I understand that there is an issue with executing roms via EmultationStation, and that these roms need to be launched via a command line in terminal. When I attempt to launch the rom via ES, I get a string of code similar to what is referenced within this post here: http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/top ... post-18260 While the output is not 100% exact, it still causes the rom to close and not launch. Via the command line I entered in the following:

./mupen64plus /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/n64 and attempted to launch one of my roms. I'll use Super Mario 64 as the example:

Terminal Command: ./mupen64plus /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/n64/Super Mario 64.n64
The response throws up the Mupen64Plus logo and then spits out the following:

Code: Select all

http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/
Mupen64Plus Console User-Interface Verzion 2.0.0
UI-Console: attached to core library 'Mupen64Plus Core' version 2.0.0
UI-Console:                    Includes support for Dynamic Recompiler.
UI-Console Warning: unrecognized command-line parameter '/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/n64/Super'
UI-Console Warning: unrecognized command-line parameter 'Mario'
UI-Console Error: couldn't open rom file '64.n64' for reading.
Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks again for the help.

ric_rpi

Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:08 am

The spaces in the file name are interpreted by the terminal as argument separators. That is why you also get the 'unrecognized command-line parameter' error messages.

You need to either use speech marks or the escape key ( \ ) to fix e.g.

./mupen64plus "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/n64/Super Mario 64.n64"
or

./mupen64plus /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/n64/Super\ Mario\ 64.n64

Dutch

Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:07 pm

Thanks again ric_rpi. However, neither command appears to work.

http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/
Mupen64Plus Console User-Interface Verzion 2.0.0
UI-Console:                    Includes support for Dynamic Recompiler.
[b]UI-Console Error: couldn't open ROM file 'home/pi/RetroPie/roms/n64/Super Mario 64.n64' for reading.[/b]
When I run the command

./mupen64plus "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/n64/Super Mario 64.n64"
I get the following:

-bash: ./mupen64plus: Is a directory
I attempt to run the above command, from what I assume, as a standard user since I am not being asked for login credentials when booting my RPi. As a result I have to reference the 'root' directory. I assume that is why I need to include "/home/pi" in the command.

I was able to finally get it to run the ROM, but only after changing my initial permission settings. Since I was not logging into the root directory as what I assume would be a super user, I had to 'sudo su', and then run

mupen64plus "RetroPie/roms/n64.Super Mario 64.n64"
This finally allowed me to run the game. I just need to modify the config file for Mupen64Plus to allow usage of my wireless X360 controller, as well as modify the settings for my HD monitor. Any suggestions you have on some excellent settings would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for all of your assistance in getting me up and running. It is much appreciated!

**UPDATE: I tried to alter the settings in the InputAutoCfg.ini for my controller following the guide here: https://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/i ... ail?id=576

That did not work for me. I even attempted to do what it says here: http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/top ... r-configs/ by taking the entire controller configuration from the InputAutoCfg.ini and copying/pasting it into the mupen64plus.cfg but that did nothing for me either. Do you know how I can get my controller working? I'm using a traditional XBox 360 Wireless Controller with the Windows IR Receiver. I have the xboxdrv loaded with the following command in the rc.local file: xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --wid 0 --led 2 --detach kernel driver --deadzone 4000 --silent & sleep 1.

Also, I am having a problem with the video settings where the video remains at the bottom left-hand corner of my screen. The InputAutoCfg.ini references that rice is the loaded video driver, and shows the width and height as 640x480, with the fullscreen setting set to TRUE. Any idea why this happens?

anon_freak

Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:29 am

Hi,

I tried building mupen by following the instructions on Github.
But the build-script seems to stuck in this Makefile:

pi@raspberrypi ~/mupen64plus/mupen64plus/mupen64plus-ui-console/projects/unix $ make all
Makefile:87: Architecture "armv6l" not officially supported.'
Makefile:182: *** Mupen64Plus API header files not found! Use makefile parameter APIDIR to force a location..  Stop.
I couldn't find any solution why this will happen and how to fix that...
Any suggestions?

anon_freak

Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:03 am

Hi,

I tried to build using the given instruction and it works till this point:

************************************ Building ui-console front-end
make: Entering directory `/home/pi/mupen64plus/mupen64plus/mupen64plus-ui-console/projects/unix'
Makefile:87: Architecture "armv6l" not officially supported.'
Makefile:182: *** Mupen64Plus API header files not found! Use makefile parameter APIDIR to force a location..  Stop.
make: Leaving directory `/home/pi/mupen64plus/mupen64plus/mupen64plus-ui-console/projects/unix'
How to fix that?

ric_rpi

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:58 am

APIDIR should point to ricrpi/mupen64plus-core/src/api for the header files. The path is relative from the directory where the makefile runs from, which is why there is the '../../../../' prefix.

I have added some echo commands to the ./build script so you can check the value of APIDIR. You can also now override it e.g.

APIDIR=/home/pi/mupen64plus/ricrpi/mupen64plus-core/src/api ./build.sh

Dutch

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:03 pm

I've managed to get the XBox 360 controllers programmed and working with the xboxdrv on mupen64plus. Games are loading at fullscreen using the gles video driver with proper configurations pointed out by Welshy. Thank you.

However, emulation is slow and response times are lagging. Take Mario Kart 64 for example:
- intro screen for game loads
- selection screen displayed, but with slow response
- able to make game selections, # of players, mode, track selection, etc.
- when track finally loads, the game freezes and only option is to ESC out of emulation

Running a decent OC at 950Mhz, with GPU set to 384. Fan with heatsink running on Pi to keep temps stable around 41C.

Any ideas on possible configurations of the gles2n64 config file that would help address these issues? Or if there is something else that can be done to address? Thanks in advance.

manit123

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:55 am

hi guys ,
i have raspberry pi b+
i want to run mario n64 game .
i am using retropie . are you talking about the same thing ?

ric_rpi

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:05 pm

yes Retropie invokes the ricrpi/mupen64plus build.sh script.

However there is an issue with SDL2 as Retropie builds it with X11 support (for other emulators) however it then means mupen64plus cannot create a GLES context and must be run on the desktop which is slower.

You can use the build script to overwite the SDL2 libs but you will break the other emulators that use it.

I am looking into hacking the SDL2 X11 video files to enable GLES contexts using dispmanx within X11.

omycronprime

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:38 pm

Hi! I'm a serious beginner when it comes to this and I ran into this issue with retropie as well. So I got a second SD card, put raspbian on it instead of retropie and loaded it with mupen64plus. I was able to play a game using the test script but I'd like a way to get it to boot to a desktop or something other than the command screen and from there be able to use a controller to run 64 roms (basically I'm hoping there is a way to take the keyboard entirely out of the equation). Is that even possible? I've been trolling around trying to figure this out and can't find anything. Does anyone know how to do this? I've been working on this project for months and this (and controller setup for mupen) are the last couple barriers before the end of a VERY long struggle.

Thanks!

ric_rpi

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:33 pm

omycronprime

Sorry to hear its been a long battle. Afraid I don't have much experience with RetroPie however I think what you are trying to do (i.e. not use the keyboard to select the ROM to play) is possible. I think RetroPie uses EmulationStation as a front-end that allows users to use a joysick/pad to navigate a menu system to select a console and ROM to play.

The controller setup for mupen gets default parameter values from a file called InputAutoCfg.ini located in /usr/local/share/mupen64plus.

If your connected controllers change then the default parameters are saved into the users mupen64plus.cfg file (in ~./config/mupen64plus). If your connected controller setup doesn't change then the .cfg values are used instead of those in InputAutoCfg.ini.

welshy

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:33 pm

omycronprime
Welcome to the Forum! Yes its possible to use a Front End such as Emulation Station/AdvanceMENU to run Mupen64plus-Rpi but it takes a great deal of effort to correctly format. If your new to Linux I would suggest using Takenover83‘s UltraSlim SD Card Image, check the Emulation on the Raspberry Pi Thread for details

Link - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=54357
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

ZakAttacks

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:17 am

In case you haven't heard, the 900mhz Rasberry pi 2 is out. In the post they show mario kart 64 running almost seamlessly! Does the increase in CPU power allow greater compatibility of games in the long run? I'm interested if the new processor can be overclocked as much as the old one...

welshy

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:46 am

ZakAttacks
Unfortunately it wont change compatibility of the Mupen64plus, thats down to the software but the performance gains are impressive*! (at the standard clock setting) Raspbian allows O/C to 1GHz

*See the Emulation on the Raspberry Pi Thread for some results of tests conducted on various Emulators

Link - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=54357

ric_rpi

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:51 am

It is possible that more games will be compatible with the new Pi.

The dynamic recompiler has a lot of pre-processor code switching, dependant on the architecture version. The android team have put in a lot of effort on the ARM side of mupen64plus but I don't know if any bug fixes they may have done for ARMv7 were also applied to ARMv5 hence the difference in compatibility. The graphics plugins are the same, especially where they have implemented NEON insructions for more performance.

welshy

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:15 am

ZakAttacks
ric_rpi wrote:It is possible that more games will be compatible with the new Pi.
I stand corrected!

loegare

Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:23 am

hey guys, recently got the pi and im trying out the PiPlay by shea, i saw that this can work with it, and i was wondering if anyone could help me with some more specific direction for making it work with the front end/point me to a post that explains it/ better place to post

dennmtr

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:08 pm

hello , i fresh compiled ric's mupen64plus using pi2 but i cannot start gaming. Mupen64plus doesnt open any window to play. game starts, i here the sound (mario64) but no window only text in the console. besides that, i use n64-video, rice video plgin gives me an error that cannot start resolution 640x480. LIbretro core gives me segmentantion fault. overall, i cannot play n64 games

here is the output using n64-video, rom starts, audio working but no window, no image

pi@raspberrypi /media/sandisk/retroarch/ROMS $ mupen64plus mario.z64
 __  __                         __   _  _   ____  _             
|  \/  |_   _ _ __   ___ _ __  / /_ | || | |  _ \| |_   _ ___ 
| |\/| | | | | '_ \ / _ \ '_ \| '_ \| || |_| |_) | | | | / __|  
| |  | | |_| | |_) |  __/ | | | (_) |__   _|  __/| | |_| \__ \  
|_|  |_|\__,_| .__/ \___|_| |_|\___/   |_| |_|   |_|\__,_|___/  
             |_|         http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/  
Mupen64Plus Console User-Interface Version 2.0.0

UI-Console:             Includes support for Dynamic Recompiler.
Core: Goodname: Super Mario 64 (U) [!]
Core: Name: SUPER MARIO 64      
Core: MD5: 20B854B239203BAF6C961B850A4A51A2
Core: CRC: 635a2bff 8b022326
Core: Imagetype: .z64 (native)
Core: Rom size: 8388608 bytes (or 8 Mb or 64 Megabits)
Core: Version: 1444
Core: Manufacturer: Nintendo
Core: Country: USA
UI-Console Status: Cheat codes disabled.
UI-Console: using Video plugin: 'gles2n64' v0.0.5
UI-Console: using Audio plugin: 'Mupen64Plus OMX Audio Plugin' v2.0.0
UI-Console: using Input plugin: 'Mupen64Plus SDL Input Plugin' v2.0.0
UI-Console: using RSP plugin: 'Hacktarux/Azimer High-Level Emulation RSP Plugin' v2.0.0
ERROR: Failed to get display size
Core: Setting 32-bit video mode: 0x0
Core Error: SDL_SetVideoMode failed: 0x4800000, Could not get EGL display
ERROR: Failed to set 32-bit video mode: 0x0
Not a shader object
Not a shader object
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform sampler2D uNoise;                                  
uniform lowp vec4 uEnvColor;                               
uniform lowp vec4 uPrimColor;                              
uniform lowp vec4 uFogColor;                               
uniform highp float uAlphaRef;                             
uniform lowp float uPrimLODFrac;                           
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

varying lowp float vFactor;                                
varying lowp vec4 vShadeColor;                             
varying mediump vec2 vTexCoord0;                           
varying mediump vec2 vTexCoord1;                           

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
lowp vec4 lTex0 = texture2D(uTex0, vTexCoord0); 
lFragColor.rgb = (vec3(0.0) - vec3(0.0)) * vec3(0.0) + lTex0.rgb; 
lFragColor.a = (0.0 - 0.0) * 0.0 + lTex0.a; 
gl_FragColor = lFragColor; 
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
lFragColor.rgb = (vec3(0.0) - vec3(0.0)) * vec3(0.0) + vShadeColor.rgb; 
lFragColor.a = (0.0 - 0.0) * 0.0 + 1.0; 
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
Input: 1 SDL joysticks were found.
Input Error: No auto-config found for joystick named 'Microsoft Microsoft® 2.4GHz Transceiver v8.0' in InputAutoConfig.ini
Input: N64 Controller #1: Forcing default keyboard configuration
Input: 1 controller(s) found, 1 plugged in and usable in the emulator
Input Warning: Couldn't open rumble support for joystick #1
Input Warning: Couldn't open rumble support for joystick #2
Input Warning: Couldn't open rumble support for joystick #3
Input Warning: Couldn't open rumble support for joystick #4
Input: Mupen64Plus SDL Input Plugin version 2.0.0 initialized.
Audio: OMX Audio plugin Initialized. Output Frequency 44100 Hz
Input Warning: Couldn't open rumble support for joystick #1
Input Warning: Couldn't open rumble support for joystick #2
Input Warning: Couldn't open rumble support for joystick #3
Input Warning: Couldn't open rumble support for joystick #4
Core: Starting R4300 emulator: Dynamic Recompiler
Core: Init new dynarec
Audio: OMX Audio plugin Initialized. Output Frequency 32006 Hz
Audio Warning: Audio Buffer under run(0)
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
lFragColor.rgb = (lTex0.rgb - vec3(0.0)) * vShadeColor.rgb + vec3(0.0); 
lFragColor.a = (0.0 - 0.0) * 0.0 + vShadeColor.a; 
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
lFragColor.a = (0.0 - 0.0) * 0.0 + uEnvColor.a; 
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
Audio Warning: Audio Buffer under run(1)
Audio Warning: Audio Buffer under run(2)
Audio Warning: Audio Buffer under run(3)
Audio Warning: Audio Buffer under run(4)
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
if (gl_FragColor.a < uAlphaRef) discard;
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
lFragColor.rgb = (lTex0.rgb - vec3(0.0)) * uPrimColor.rgb + vec3(0.0); 
lFragColor.a = (lTex0.a - 0.0) * uPrimColor.a + 0.0; 
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
lFragColor.rgb = (uPrimColor.rgb - vShadeColor.rgb) * lTex0.rgb + vShadeColor.rgb; 
lFragColor.a = (uPrimColor.a - vShadeColor.a) * lTex0.a + vShadeColor.a; 
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
gl_FragColor = mix(gl_FragColor, uFogColor, vFactor); 
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
lFragColor.rgb = (lTex0.rgb - vShadeColor.rgb) * vec3(lTex0.a) + vShadeColor.rgb; 
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
lFragColor.a = (lTex0.a - 0.0) * vShadeColor.a + 0.0; 
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
844 Shader Source:

uniform sampler2D uTex0;                                   
uniform sampler2D uTex1;                                   
uniform lowp float uK4;                                    
uniform lowp float uK5;                                    

void main()                                                
{                                                          
lowp vec4 lFragColor;                                      
lFragColor.a = (lTex0.a - 0.0) * vShadeColor.a + 0.0; 
} 

Not a shader object
Not a program object
here is if rice-video,

Video: Initializing OpenGL Device Context.
Core: Setting 32-bit video mode: 640x480
Core Error: SDL_SetVideoMode failed: 0x5000000, Could not get EGL display
Video Error: Failed to set 32-bit video mode: 640x480
Core Status: Rom closed.

NF3RN0

Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:30 am

dennmtr wrote:hello , i fresh compiled ric's mupen64plus using pi2 but i cannot start gaming. Mupen64plus doesnt open any window to play. game starts, i here the sound (mario64) but no window only text in the console. besides that, i use n64-video, rice video plgin gives me an error that cannot start resolution 640x480. LIbretro core gives me segmentantion fault. overall, i cannot play n64 games

here is the output using n64-video, rom starts, audio working but no window, no image
Have you tried the gles2n64 video plugin? You can change the video plugin under the mupen64plus.cfg. This is installed under the /root/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg.

VideoPlugin = "mupen64plus-video-n64.so"

Also, are you compiling from Retro Pie?

dennmtr

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:43 am

NF3RN0 wrote:
dennmtr wrote:hello , i fresh compiled ric's mupen64plus using pi2 but i cannot start gaming. Mupen64plus doesnt open any window to play. game starts, i here the sound (mario64) but no window only text in the console. besides that, i use n64-video, rice video plgin gives me an error that cannot start resolution 640x480. LIbretro core gives me segmentantion fault. overall, i cannot play n64 games

Have you tried the gles2n64 video plugin? You can change the video plugin under the mupen64plus.cfg. This is installed under the /root/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg.

VideoPlugin = "mupen64plus-video-n64.so"

Also, are you compiling from Retro Pie?
as i said " besides that, i use n64-video",
nope, i compile from raspbian...

NF3RN0

Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:04 pm

Sorry, I'm blind sometimes.

LecktheTech

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:47 pm

Will this be working on the new RPI 2?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sublimely Studious.
What were we talking about?

Return to “Gaming”