mashley

Re: WIP: Playable Nintendo 64 Emulator Available

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Aha! Using build.sh instead of dev_build.sh worked. Thanks! I had to specify an audio plugin on the command line as SDL wouldn't find the audio device. I just tested quickly with Mario64. Sound and video were very very choppy, unplayably so. Do I just need to overclock my Pi to improve this?

ric_rpi

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:00 pm

You will need to overclock, and you will need to set the configuration settings for video plugin, frameskipping, etc.

Welshy has a better handle on specific game settings than I.

Some good settings for various games, including Mario64, are somewhere in this thread.

NF3RN0

Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:01 am

The best settings for games can be found on the wiki. https://github.com/ricrpi/mupen64plus/w ... ility-List

Haas360

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:11 pm

SummitOfOlymPi wrote:I can't get Mupen64plus to launch properly from EmulationStation. It makes like it's starting up for a few seconds, then ends with this:

Core: Starting emulation at 1220
Core: Starting R4300 emulator: Dynamic Recompiler
Core: Init new dynarec
Core Status: Stopping emulation.
Core: R4300 emulator finished.
Core: Stopping emulation at 2142
Core Status: Rom closed.

If i run Mupen from the command line with the rom i want, it opens no questions asked. Performance is smooth other than slight audio distortion sometimes and texture blips. I am relatively new to Linux and Google has not availed me with this issue

I am running into the same thing you are, did you find a fix to your issue?

If not, is there anyone that can help?

Thanks

Jessie

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:00 am

Last I checked Mupen64 was still not working in conjunction with ES. I think (my speculation only) that there isn't enough memory for both. PetRockBlog's forums are littered with people having the same issue as you guys. I have done some tinkering myself and haven't had much success. Aloshi was talking about switching to a lighter weight database for ES and this may improve the situation, but that is all speculation.

Haas360

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:01 am

Jessie wrote:Last I checked Mupen64 was still not working in conjunction with ES. I think (my speculation only) that there isn't enough memory for both. PetRockBlog's forums are littered with people having the same issue as you guys. I have done some tinkering myself and haven't had much success. Aloshi was talking about switching to a lighter weight database for ES and this may improve the situation, but that is all speculation.

Thank you so much for letting me know. :) I think I am going to be buying a ODROID , that will be much more powerful, but worried about compatibilites with emulators. Anyone had experiance with them?

Haas360

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:53 pm

Jessie wrote:Last I checked Mupen64 was still not working in conjunction with ES. I think (my speculation only) that there isn't enough memory for both. PetRockBlog's forums are littered with people having the same issue as you guys. I have done some tinkering myself and haven't had much success. Aloshi was talking about switching to a lighter weight database for ES and this may improve the situation, but that is all speculation.
Alright so how do I manually launch mupen64plus then?

mupen64plus /home/pi/RetroArch/roms/n64/%ROM% doesnt work. - No command found -
mupen64plus-rpi - No command found -

I even went into the emulators folder, and found mupen64plus, and still couldnt find a binary!

I just compiled all emulators last night as well using the setup script.

EDIT: I just tried to run it from emulationstation now and getting a different error as before.

/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh line 23 ./mupenplus64 no such command.

Sabcoll

Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Code: Select all

osmc@osmc:~/mupen64plus-rpi$ ./m64p_build.sh
************************************ Building core library
make: Entering directory '/home/osmc/mupen64plus-rpi/source/mupen64plus-core/projects/unix'
Makefile:101: Architecture "armv6l" not officially supported.'
rm -f -r libmupen64plus.so.2.0.0 libmupen64plus.so.2 _obj
make: Leaving directory '/home/osmc/mupen64plus-rpi/source/mupen64plus-core/projects/unix'
make: Entering directory '/home/osmc/mupen64plus-rpi/source/mupen64plus-core/projects/unix'
Makefile:101: Architecture "armv6l" not officially supported.'
    CC  _obj/api/callbacks.o
    CC  _obj/api/common.o
    CC  _obj/api/config.o
    CC  _obj/api/debugger.o
    CC  _obj/api/frontend.o
    CC  _obj/api/vidext.o
../../src/api/vidext.c:43:23: fatal error: GLES2/gl2.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
 #include <GLES2/gl2.h>
This is the error i get when using ./m64p_build.sh.
Even if i try

sudo ./m64p_build.sh
i get the error.

Any ideas?

ric_rpi

Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:10 pm

Sabcoll

Are you using Raspian, as it appears you may be missing the video core header file(s) i.e. /opt/vc/include/GLES2/gl2.h?

Also mupen64plus-rpi is deprecated, you can use the build script from http://github.com/ricrpi/mupen64plus to build/install the latest version.

Sabcoll

Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:14 pm

Nope, i tried it on a "nightly" version of raspbmc -> the newest one, called OSMC.
If it doesn't work, im fine with that.
I got another SD card with the latest Raspian Wheezy on it.

How can i start my Rom (Mario Kart) with gles2n64?

sudo mupen64plus --gfx mupen64plus-video-gles2n64 /home/pi/mupen64plus/roms/MarioKart64.z64
Doesn't work...

UI-Console Error: Specified Video plugin not found: mupen64plus-video-gles2n64
same error if i use

sudo mupen64plus --gfx video-gles2n64 /home/pi/mupen64plus/roms/MarioKart64.z64
I'm using the console, so no graphical interface for me!
Do i have to install the plugin? download it? there is absolutely NO Info, neither in the help, nor in the wiki or any forums... wtf
please help!

ric_rpi

Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:26 am

The gles2n64 video plugin is called 'mupen64plus-video-n64' and should be in /usr/local/lib/mupen64plus.

You can also change the config file in ~/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg (note: if you use sudo then $HOME is /root).

With regards to raspbmc, you could try pulling https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware to get the video core libraries and header files. If it works then could you let me know so I can add it into the build script.

Sabcoll

Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:16 am

Yay!

sudo mupen64plus --gfx mupen64plus-video-n64 /home/pi/mupen64plus/roms/MarioKart64.z64
worked just fine!
But now i just got my screen all flickering, is if the updaterate would be really bad.

i tried a lot of options in "[Video-Rice]" (because there are no options for gles2n62 ?!)
ScreenUpdateSetting = ... i tried 7, 6, 5 and 4 ... flickering doesnt change at all...

can you please help again?

ric_rpi

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:41 am

The gles2n64 plugin uses gles2n64.conf for its configuration.

Afraid I don't know which Screen Update setting you need nor recall where the config file normally resides.

Oneday I'll change it to use the mupen64plus.cfg but currently busy working on a new dynamic recompiler.

Sabcoll

Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:24 pm

Just fyi: the path is

home/pi/gles2n64.conf

for debian wheezy!

ric_rpi

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:44 am

I have finally managed to get ES installed and running on Raspbian but I can't replicate the ES/mupen64plus issue others are seeing.

Has anyone done a fix for this or is it still broken with wheezy? (I am running Raspbian/jessie)

MessiJ

Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:42 pm

Hello, after reading this long post, I have sevral questions to you.
I have installed the 2.3 version of Retropie and use the preinstall vesion of mupen64plus. After changing the libmupen64plus.so.2.0.0 file, the emulator run pretty well. Even better than some of you sayed. I tried Mario 64 and banjo-kazzoie for 2 hours each and it run at 30-40 fps with perfect music and sound.

Here are my questions:
-Do you now what version of mupen64plus is preinstal with Retropie v2.3 ? Is the older or younger than the ricrpi mupen64plus last version (https://github.com/ricrpi/mupen64plus) ?
-Do you now where the saved files of the game are ? I would like to backup then.
-How can I change the video plugin ? I Think I am using rice ( mupen64plus.cfg : # Filename of video plugin VideoPlugin = "mupen64plus-video-rice.so" )

Thanks for your help and for all the work done so far, you're brilliant guys !

ric_rpi

Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:45 pm

MessiJ

First of all, welcome to the forum.

My understanding from briefly using RetroPi was that it uses the compile/install script from ricrpi/mupen64plus to build the binaries from the latest source. I haven't uploaded any major changes lately so versions are likely to be the same or have similar performance.

Saved games should be in the default location of ~/.local/share/mupen64plus/save.
Note: If you run as root or use sudo then they will be in /root/.local/share/mupen64plus/save.

You can change the video plugin by using --video arguement e.g. $>mupen64plus --video [mupen64plus-video-n64.so] [ROM]
or you can change it within the mupen64plus.cfg file (~/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg)

Finally, do you get short 'pauses' in the music/sound when running at 30-40 fps as normally audio under-runs occur as mupen64plus isn't fast enough yet.

patrickroyfan

Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:58 am

Hey yo! Aloha everyone. I finally got the N64 emu to work thanks to this thread. Much kudos to all the devs and hardworking individuals here. I have a few questions.

1) Can I edit a .cfg file or similiar to load separate video plugins for separate ROMs? Or do I have to change the main mupen .cfg file everytime I want to change video plugins?

2) First time I ran Mupen64 I had zero controls. This included the keyboard. Ive since got my ps3 controller to work but still cant exit out of the emulator. This includes hitting the escape key, alt+f4, ctrl+alt+delete, you name it. Has anyone had success mapping an exit button and or hotkey for controllers?

3) Also is there any small tweaks I can do to improve the quality of the n64 emu? I am runnin pi b+ at 256 split, overclocked to HIGH (unsure about going turbo since my b+ is stock with no heat sinks etc.)

4) any other info to get this running better is greatly appreciated. If I can contribute in anyway let me know

-Mahalo!

ric_rpi

Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:57 pm

patrickroyfan

Welcome to the forum and hope you're having fun with mupen64plus.

You can use the --gfx program arg to set the plugin on the command line.

I would also suggest you use --nosaveoptions to stop mupen64plus.cfg being updated.

There are more details here: https://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/w ... nsoleUsage.

Afraid I don't know how to help with the controller emulator exit problem, I've neve had an issue using 'ESC' on the keyboard even when a controller is plugged in.

I think the only thing left, to vastly improve the performance, is writing a better dynamic recompiler - I have started putting something together (https://github.com/ricrpi/R4300-code-analysis). Having some help would be greatly appreciated

ZakAttacks

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:58 am

Is there any way to get smash bros to work on the raspberry pi? Smash bros is one of the best group games out there, and I think that it could make n64 way more popular on the pi because of the popularity of smash bros today (at least where I live).

Djinny

Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:31 am

I'm having no end of trouble trying to get the inputs to work, been trying to figure it out for a couple hours now
I'm using a 360 controller with xboxdrv
and i'm using these values
http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.1 ... L_keysym.h

So i'll set the xboxdrv config for lets say a=KEY_K, in the mupen config i'll use A Button = "key(107)"
I got the 107 from the link provided.

But.. it's not working. Are the key's values for mupen different from the link's values?

if someone could share their working xboxdrv config, and their working mupen config, i'd greatly appreciate it. I can probably figure out what to do by just look looking at the two. Thank you.

Edit: PS, the keys i bind to the controller, WASD for example, work everywhere else, i can goto the terminal and wiggle the stick and get a bunch of wasdasdwasd.
So it seems like it's on the emulator's end.
My RPi needs a fan, heat will leech into the battery, so people saying I don't need a fan, don't understand how Li-Po batteries are affected by high temps. Cool pi = cool battery.
I would very much so like to see a Pi2/Pi3 Zero, power and size.

ric_rpi

Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:49 am

Afraid I don't know much about the xboxdrv side of things but I get the impression the xboxdrv maps buttons to simulate keyboard input therefore have you tried running in a terminal as keyboard input does not work with X11/desktop (except for 'ESC' key).

The whole SDL keyboard/video is currently a bit of a mess but I am in the proces of sorting it to try and get joystick events working and get closer to official release.

expandables

Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi does anyone want to share a snes usb controller config settings for the InputAutoCfg
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

welshy

Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:19 pm

expandables
I would suggest buying an Analogue controller to play N64 Titles. Some are fine but most of the greatest games (Super Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, Star Fox etc.) WILL require Analogue input for character control, without this, they will be virtually unplayable!* (Not to mention VERY frustrating)

*Trust me on this! Having once owned a 'Grey Import' Japanese Console I recall running the first N64 Emulator on the PC without an Analogue Controller, the next morning I went out and purchased one!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

matchstik

Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:31 am

Hi ric_rpi,

Been really enjoying using mupen64plus, pretty astounded to see how far along N64 emu has gotten so far on the RPi.

The only thing I get frustrated with using the emulator is not being able to set an exit key combination to close the emu and get back to emulation station.

Most of the other emulators I can just assign inputs to buttons:
input_enable_hotkey_btn = "8"
input_exit_emulator_btn = "9"

So if i'm holding button 8 and press 9, it will exit.

I often use my RPi on the road without a keyboard, so I'm stuck not being able to back out of a game when I'm done with mupen64plus. Is there anything that can be added to support this?

Return to “Gaming”