LemmeFatale

PiMAME, 256MB Model B - DGen giving black screen

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm having a problem with DGen on the current PiMAME image (at the time of writing, this is 0.7.9) on my 256MB Model B Raspberry Pi. Everything else works fine, but after I choose a game to play in DGen, it drops to a black screen and never does anything else (there's no sound or anything, either, as you might expect). It doesn't respond to inputs from anything, so it's necessary to cut the power in order to reboot the RPi.

I know from one of welshy's very useful posts that on a 256MB Raspberry Pi, DGen requires all of the RAM to be assigned to the ARM and none to the GPU, so I tried changing the memory-split to that, but unfortunately it didn't change the behaviour I'm getting.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to try, because (obviously), I can't readily see any way of tracing where the problem actually is.

Has anyone else encountered this, and does anyone know of a solution, please?

Thanks very much in advance. :)
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

welshy

Re: PiMAME, 256MB Model B - DGen giving black screen

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:02 pm

LemmeFatale
Are you using it with Composite Output? There's a known issue with 'Black Screen' when not using HDMI in RetroPie (could be the same problem). Using the Source code and compiling your own version shold be ok, except it will be slower due to Analogue sound CPU overhead. As with any SDL emulator there is no need to assign any RAM to the GPU because it not used, ONLY with OpenGLES rendering.

PS I see you posted in the RetroArch Thread. Have you tried RetroArch with a PicoDrive Core? Its much better than DGEN, although you may run into the same 'Black Screen' problem (I haven't tested with composite output as yet).
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

LemmeFatale

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:12 pm

Oops, sorry! I knew I forgot to mention something. I'm using HDMI output, not composite.

As for RetroArch, I have tried it (via RetroPie), but I didn't get on very well with it - that's why I went with PiMAME for the RPi concerned, in the end. (It's not a big problem if I can't get this issue fixed - I'd just like to figure out why it's misbehaving for the sake of learning more, really. :P)

welshy

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:24 pm

LemmeFatale
Building your own RetroArch is better than using RetroPie (I'm not a fan either), its simpler/neater, well worth a try if you use a 'default' build it has a simple GUI for loading cores/roms (no command line typing!)! DGEN should be fine as a 'Self Build' Binary, I'm guessing its something to do with the dispmanx back ends RetroPi and PiMAME use and/or how they have been compiled for the Gaming Images. I do know Shea was having similar issues with dispmanx and PiSNES/DGEN, with it DGEN worked but PiSNES didn't and vs versa!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

SSilver2k2

Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:36 am

I'll look into this. You can also post a message on the pimame forums as well. Make sure the files dgen is opening aren't zipped.
My blog of various geeky things - http://blog.sheasilverman.com
PiPLAY - http://piplay.org
DeskCade.com - Mini Raspberry Pi Arcade Cabinet

LemmeFatale

Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:39 am

SSilver2k2 wrote:I'll look into this.
Thanks very, very much - it's much-appreciated. :)
You can also post a message on the pimame forums as well.
I'm afraid I don't especially want to register another account elsewhere. I hope that's not a problem! :?
Make sure the files dgen is opening aren't zipped.
They definitely aren't - I tend to use unzipped files as far as emulation goes, due to past experience on other platforms. :lol:

Since posting this thread, I've actually had it running stuff by starting it from a terminal-emulator under X, and it will run without X in the same fashion if I exit from the PiMAME menu, if that helps you to narrow it down at all. The display is bizarrely off-centre with the latter, though.

Now if only I knew how to reconfigure the joypad settings to my liking, as they come out a bit strange with the one I'm using...

Return to “Gaming”