Jeffjp627

MAME isnt detecting rom files

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:42 pm

Hey i was wondering of you guys could help me out i setup retropie and it was running good and i decided i would put some MAME roms on i've added multiple kinds of the same rom but none work some say "game not supported' and then some games list a whole bunch of files loading then say files not found. i've done everything i can think of i know exactly where the files that its looking for are and in the system.cfg it says its looking there and ive tryed every possible thing. if you could help out that would be great thanks in advance and if you need more info let me know!

redhawk

Re: MAME isnt detecting rom files

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:44 pm

What ROMs are you trying to load??

Richard S.

Jeffjp627

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:58 pm

I was trying to run Digdug, space invaders, pac-man, galaga, burger time(my favorite), Donkey Kong, and Tron

berighteous

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:58 pm

Sounds like you're trying to run the wrong rom sets with the version of Mame you're playing. Every new version of MAME updates or changes some or all of the roms it supports. If you download roms compatible with the latest version of pc mame, they won't necessarily work with earlier versions of mame, like whatever the version in retropie is based on.

I'm using mame4all-pi and it requires a mame version .37 romset. Roms for the "current" PC (or linux) version of mame (0.149) will not work with it. Advmame on the pi uses (I think) version .1 roms, which won't work with mame4all-pi, or with pc mame.

You need to find out which romset you need for the version of mame you're using and then acquire those.

Jeffjp627

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:30 am

i've tryed running different romsets and i think the romset it runs is 0.37b5 but i can't find any roms for it

welshy

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:17 pm

Jeffjp627
Sounds like you are looking for MAME4ALL ROMS. As this is a common version of MAME used for mobile devices/open source handhelds try searching for 'ROMS for Android' or similar. MAME 0.37b5 or 0.37b11 version ROMS should work fine
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Jeffjp627

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:51 am

welshy
i've tryed that site multiple times and the roms dont work what could possibly be wrong

LemmeFatale

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:58 am

Unlike console emulation, where the game dumps are very often single self-contained files, sometimes all of the files required to run a game in any given version of MAME are spread across the different ROM-sets for that game.

For example, you can't run any version or hack of Pac-Man without also having the "parent" ROM, which is "puckman".

Do you have all of the variants of what you wish to play?
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

Jeffjp627

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:58 am

no i was not aware of that can you explain that a little more

welshy

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:26 am

Jeffjp627
Don't worry to much about 'parent' ROMS it shouldn't affect smaller files like Pac-Man/Dig-Dug. But the basis for it is limited bandwidth/storage space on many sites, for instance, with Virtua Fighter 2 there were many variations to the original board, of which only certain ROM chips were replaced, Virtua Fighter 2* then VF2 (RevA), VF2 (RevB), VF2 2.1. In this case VF2 2.1 is often a 'parent' 20MEG download and the others are approx. 200K so to play VF (RevA) you will need BOTH files.
To clarify which ROM revisions you require for you version of MAME you need to know which version your running, so
Are you running Retro Pie? PiMAME? PiMAME4ALL? AdvMAME? If you can confirm this it will give me/other posters a chance on rectifying the issue. My hunch is you are trying MAME4ALL ROMs in AdvMAME or vice versa (they are NOT compatible).

* BTW, don't get exited, none of the RPi's versions of MAME will run this game, its only for info!

LemmeFatale

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:33 pm

welshy wrote:Don't worry to much about 'parent' ROMS it shouldn't affect smaller files like Pac-Man/Dig-Dug.
Actually, it does - that's why I specifically used Pac-Man as an example to explain it. I've come across it more times with smaller, older games, than anything else. :lol:

It's how MAME does things - as far as I know, it's nothing to do with bandwidth or storage space.
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

Jeffjp627

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:32 pm

welshy i using the lastest version of retroPie and im using the default MAME emulator which i think is MAME4ALL

welshy

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 am

Jeffjp627
As previously stated, as MAME 0.37b5 or 0.37b11 are not working (which should work with MAME4ALL) I am guessing the Image is using AdvanceMAME by default. I did post a while back on some of the correct revisions of ROMS required for AdvMAME
Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=29427
It contains the Game Name, MAME File Code, Revision and if samples are required. If they work then obviously Retro Pie is running AdvMAME.
If you still experience problems then I suggest trying Shea's PiMAME (another Gaming Image) which includes, amongst other emulators, puddings 'optimised' PiMAME4ALL and AdvanceMAME.
Here - http://pimame.org/

LemmeFatale
ROM Dumps on the Net 'pre-date' MAME in that they were for owners of the original cabs to repair defective Boards by burning their own IC's. Also, many games (like VF2) were sold to vendors and then newer 'versions' were purchased as 'updates' on small sister Boards to add to the original Cab so I think its a bit of a 'Legacy' issue. Similarly GCC's 'Crazy Otto' (which Midway officially licenced and became Ms Pac-Man See Here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEKAqWk-Tp4, which didn't please NAMCO!) or 'Super Missile Command' were also 'Sister Boards' for the original Cabs so they only contain those specific ROM files.

loveretro

Tue May 07, 2019 5:41 pm

Did someone has the problem about the matching names of Mame Rom's name and .rar file name. I'm still playing MAME https://www.retrostic.com/roms/mame Games and I search for the best website to download Mame Games.

Return to “Gaming”