chromebookbob

Horrific Griefing on raspberry pi server

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:08 am

Today I logged onto my raspberry pi minecraft server, I found it in tatters, completely destroyed. A case of wanton vandalism. Since my instructions were featured on the pi website my server has become rather popular. I searched on google for a while and managed to find a cached version of a forum post asking people to deliberately grief my server:
04-19-2013, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2013 10:19 AM by Cael.) Post: #1
Cael Offline
server looking for stress testing.
Server Name:PiCraft
Reason:Not so much Grief but they want a stress test to see how much it takes before the Pi Barfs (256MB Ras-pi)

Server IP and Port: stress Test Completed

Survival/Creative:Survival

Bukkit or Vanilla: Surprisingly on an Pi? Bukkit

Owner/Admin Names: ********
OP Names:no other op's known

WorldEdit (Yes/No):no
Anticheat (Yes/No):no
NoCheat (Yes/No):no
Orebfuscator (Yes/No):no
Other Plugins: /plugins gets nothing but thers "ClearLag" in effect.

Flying Enabled (Yes/No): unknown
Rollback (Yes/No): as it's a Pi? rollback would crash itself.

Cracked (Yes/No): No

Other Notes: it's a rasp-pi a 700mhz ARM v7 CPU Pocketsized PC hosting the Server. Expect slowness.

for those that came for stress testing while not my own server this gave insight even before deciding to open my own Pi Powered server. thanks everyone that helped these guys.
I am appalled that this has happened and sickened by the way the vandals posted signs all over my sever saying: Team Revalue, or Team Revalue on Youtube. I would not be surprised if a video turns up of them griefing the server on youtube.
will attach the only picture I could get before my server crashed due to the huge amounts of flowing lava everywhere.
Attachments
2013-08-24_11.50.07.jpg
2013-08-24_11.50.07.jpg (54.35 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
Visit my website with the original instructions on it for both vanilla and Tekkit Lite Servers: www.picraftbukkit.webs.com

sdd

Re: Horrific Griefing on raspberry pi server

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:33 pm

Well, that sucks. If you wern't already you should really make daily backups.

chromebookbob

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:19 pm

I do make daily backups, but they get deleted every two days, also my pi cut out during a power cut and a few files were lost, I have a map from a couple of weeks ago on my pc. I will load that one back to the pi. I am just sickened that people could behave this way.
Visit my website with the original instructions on it for both vanilla and Tekkit Lite Servers: www.picraftbukkit.webs.com

duberry
Location: standing on a planet that's evolving. And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:11 pm

chromebookbob wrote: my server crashed due to the huge amounts of flowing lava everywhere.
sounds like your server got fracked !
look on the bright side
thanks to the wander of mine-craft technology you can seed a new virtual world / restore a backup .
a luxury unavailable to the brave few who dwell in the desolate and uninhabited north ;)
lend me your arms, fast as thunderbolts, for a pillow on my journey.
If the environment was a bank, would it be too big to fail
so long; and thanks for all the pi

mrpi64

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Bad luck. If they do have a video of them trashing your map on youtube, watch it, and if they swear (which they probably will, considering what they have done), you should report that video. best payback solution. or find their server (if they have one) and trash that.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:45 pm

Not really sure why its been posted here. I mean, sorry about the griefing and all that (I admin a public server, actually seen worse) but I'm not really sure what relevance it has to this forum.

blc

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:19 pm

6677 wrote:Not really sure why its been posted here. I mean, sorry about the griefing and all that (I admin a public server, actually seen worse) but I'm not really sure what relevance it has to this forum.
While I don't necessarily agree that this thread is irrelevant to the forum, I do agree that this is a somewhat light griefing... In fact I do think the thread is relevant in that it's a warning for others with their own public Pi-based minecraft servers. There are a lot of - for want of a better term - childish ********s out there whose sole purpose in this game is to grief others. Search for greifing groups/videos on youtube and you'd be pretty shocked; incidentally however this is also an effective tactic for spotting what griefers go for and which cheats/exploits you should be protecting yourself against.

I suffered a similar problem some years ago; I started up a server for me and a couple of friends and kept the IP private. I logged on one day to find the landscape covered in lava and pretty much everything we'd built had been blown up with TNT; this was shortly before the server suffered a horrible lag death and crashed. Skipping back through the logs I discovered that someone had found and posted the IP on a minecraft server forum somewhere and invited others to "come and party with these losers". The logs also revealed that they had set up a redstone contraption to exploit a bug that would crash the server.

Ever since then I've either run private servers with whitelists, or servers where untrusted users do not get any build privileges and can't even open doors. There are plenty of effective anti-griefing tools available for Bukkit servers - anti cheat/spam, block logging & rollback, backup scripts, permission levels, etc - but I am not sure how well the Pi would cope with running these plugins. You might be ok with some block logging like HawkEye but only provided that your Pi has a fast link to an external SQL server.

AndrewS

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm afraid you have to learn to expect this kind of thing on the internet :( Trust no-one, always use secure passwords, make sure your OS/software/patches are up to date, etc.
See also: hacking / trolling / DDoSing / http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/tag/ddos

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:20 pm

blc wrote: Ever since then I've either run private servers with whitelists, or servers where untrusted users do not get any build privileges and can't even open doors. There are plenty of effective anti-griefing tools available for Bukkit servers - anti cheat/spam, block logging & rollback, backup scripts, permission levels, etc - but I am not sure how well the Pi would cope with running these plugins. You might be ok with some block logging like HawkEye but only provided that your Pi has a fast link to an external SQL server.
My server we use a permissions plugin (pex I think) and also Precious Stones. It does really help, but isn't guaranteed to catch everything unfortunately and over the years our ban list has gotten alot longer, and we're not even a high population server (it is free for anyone to join, but we don't tend to actively advertise it as open anymore, someone finds us and joins then so be it, otherwise word of mouth).
You do seem to get the odd person that joins, appears to be legit. Gets permissions. Plays for a few days (or longer, just today I banned someone who has been with us for nearly a year) and then turns to griefing.

They are childish people.

lazarus78

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:20 pm

blc wrote:
6677 wrote:Not really sure why its been posted here. I mean, sorry about the griefing and all that (I admin a public server, actually seen worse) but I'm not really sure what relevance it has to this forum.
... In fact I do think the thread is relevant in that it's a warning for others with their own public Pi-based minecraft servers.
That's good and all, but it is irrelevant to the Pi specifically, as this forum is meant for. Just because it was on a Pi doesn't really mean anything in regards TO Pis in general. It is simply someone who opened a public server to the world with no security. It happens, moving on.

Now if it were about an exploit regarding Pi run servers, then we have a topic. But it's not.

chromebookbob

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:15 am

It's to do with the raspberry pi, ergo it exists in the raspberry pi forums!

Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:16 pm

chromebookbob wrote:It's to do with the raspberry pi, ergo it exists in the raspberry pi forums!
Oh no someone emailed me a file, but its alright because I'm on my pi therefore it can go on the pi forums.
Someone griefing a minecraft server on the pi is no different from griefing a minecraft server on any other system. The screenshots above are also incredibly minor griefing compared to what I used to come across regularly. Long story short: why should this be shared with the world here of all places?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Hmm. I think this is simply going to descend in an argument, so I'll lock the topic.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “Gaming”