welshy

PicoDrive: MegaDrive/Genesis Emulator Binary

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:10 am

Steev has compiled a ‘Stand Alone’ Binary (for those of us who don’t use Retro Pie) of Notaz’s excellent PicoDrive the Megadrive/Genesis emulator. It has advantages over DGEN in that its compatibility/accuracy is superior to DGEN (It even runs Virtua Racing which included an ‘on cart’ DSP, the Sega Virtua Processor) will also emulate 32X (although the performance is poor) and Sega/Mega CD Titles (which work flawlessly).

Link Here - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-PSbqQ ... U4d2s/edit
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Vanfanel

Re: PicoDrive: MegaDrive/Genesis Emulator Binary

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks steev and whelsy (for reporting)!
This emulator is awesome. However, it lacks fullscreen support and runs on a small SDL screen area.
I've seen dispmanx code on platform/libpicofe/gl_platform.c, so what does that mean? Is there support for fullscreen, souble-buffered display or is it in the works? Can it be compiled with dispmanx backend support enabled?

NOTE: Dispmanx is a 2D graphics backend used to interface the Rpi's video core. It has nothing to do with my old SDL 1.2.x backend, wich used dispmanx but was NOT dispmanx. Dispmanx "something every Pi has", not something I made up.

steev

Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:49 pm

I think the frontend uses dispmanx but the actual emulator does not?
I'm not sure because outside of X it runs full screen up until I load a game.

Anyway I recommend building the libretro port and using it with RetroArch because it runs full screen that way

Code: Select all

make -f Makefile.libretro platform=armv6
platform=armv6 makes it compile with the ARM dynarec

I can probably post a binary later if someone wants me too.

welshy

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:33 am

Has anybody got 32X+CD titles (e.g. Night Trap) working? The instructions make no mention of them and I have (so far) failed to get them working.

Update: Found a note from notaz on a GP32 site to a similar question -
'No there is no 32x+cd support yet. Yes it's planned but I haven't worked on pico for a few years now due to various other projects.'

derus

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:27 pm

Im testing PicoDrive with RetroPie at the moment. I already asked this in other thread but didnt get a real answer: How do i get it running in fullscreen? I still have a small black border arround the picture and can get rid of it. I read about dispmanx but dont have any idea how that works. I am totally new in this, sorry.
Is there a way to play Mega-CD-roms? I probably need the bios-files, but dont know where to put them. 32x-roms works so far but are too slow to be playable but i think thats the RPis fault.

welshy

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:51 am

derus
Building the Linux version Binary from the Source Code 'approximates the GP32 environment' which is obviously lower resolution, that's why its not Fullscreen. The only way around this is to use a 'dispmanx back end' (or similar) as the Retro Pie Build does to stretch the Image filling the Framebuffer.
Sega/Mega CD titles can be used providing a BIOS file is present along with the executable (cog/gear symbol) but they must be correctly named. First download a BIOS file from a site, they can be used in ZIP format so long as the file is correctly named (the .ZIP AND the .bin in the file), so if they are incorrect, just change the file name.

e.g. downloaded BIOS file - USBIOS9210.bin
Change to - us_scd1_9210.bin

These are the permitted files/names
USA BIOS
us_scd1_9210.bin or us_scd2_9306.bin or SegaCDBIOS9303.bin
EURO BIOS
eu_mcd1_9210.bin or eu_mcd2_9303.bin or eu_mcd2_9306.bin
JAP
jp_mcd1_9112.bin or jp_mcd1_9111.bin

Then just load the CD .cue file through the GUI and it should start (usually with emulators this is the correct one to load, if it doesn't work try the .bin file), if the BIOS filename is incorrect it will give you a msg that the BIOS is not present, so check/change the file name.

derus

Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:16 am

Do you know the direction where i have to put the files? I dont see any executable file. I cant find any PicoDrive-folder under /RetroPie/emulators just under /RetroPie/emulatorcores and i tried different folders there but it doesnt work.

By the way i manged it to get PicoDrive running fullscreen but i dont know how, which is always the problem when you constantly playing arround with different config-files. :D Now i would like to use PicoDrive for my Master System Roms too but i also dont get it to fullscreen, the black border is even bigger as with Mega Drive before and its somehow streched to widescreen. Changing the runcommand in es_system.cfg doesnt help here as it normally does.

welshy

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:45 am

derus
Ah, u didn't say you were using Retro Pie! The Retro Arch file system doesn't produce a Binary as such, try putting the BIOS in folder where the picodrive source is or in the ROMS folder, I cant help with any other queries as I don't use Retro Pie but you can try the Forum.

Here - http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/for ... emulators/

welshy

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:43 am

derus
I have been experimenting with 'Vanilla' Retro Arch (So Retro Pie should work the same). If you put the CD BIOS in with your ROMS/CD Images (.cue & .bin files) it detects them! I used USA BIOS named us_scd1_9210.bin, all titles tried worked!

KitchUK

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:44 pm

derus,

Did you figure out what you did to get Mega Drive roms full screen wih Picodrive? Or with Master System Picodrive?

welshy

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:54 pm

KitchUK
The Binary posed here won't be but using the libretro version (Retro Pie/RetroArch) it should be Fullscreen.

KitchUK

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:37 pm

I'm using the RetroPie Picrodive an it is still not fully fullscreen. Cut off at the top and bottom slightly, even more so with Mastersystem.

welshy

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:31 pm

KitchUK
Does RetroPie allow access to the RetroArch Menu by pressing F1? Could be the Core or Video 'Aspect Ratio' Options.
Last edited by welshy on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KitchUK

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm not too sure, I'll try this tonight. :)

Edit: I've still not had chance to try it yet! Too busy watching Breaking Bad! :D

KitchUK

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Anyone tried playing Golden Axe 2 on picodrive? It goes to a black screen when you try to load the rom and takes ages to load. Internet he command line it says something about m68k.

Vanfanel

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:12 am

It works without problems here...

KitchUK

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:30 am

Hmm. It does eventually play but it just seems to be this rom. I tried another rom but same problem. Maybe I should try reinstalling again. Vanfanel, are you using it through RetroPie? I'm scratching my head trying to figure it out. I'm gonna try few versions of the rom tonoght and see if thats the problem.

EDIT: The error message I get before golden axe 2 loads is;

Picodrive: 00081:254 m68k unmapped r16 [0be9e6] @00f294

Any ideas?

welshy

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:17 am

KitchUK
No, Vanfanel uses his own self compiled RetroArch (as I do). His Tutorial on how to build it is Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=56070

Vanfanel

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:22 pm

welshy wrote:KitchUK
No, Vanfanel uses his own self compiled RetroArch (as I do). His Tutorial on how to build it is Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=56070
This man speaks the truth. Go on brave adventurer! Compile your own RetroArch! :)

KitchUK

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Are you guys using PicoDrive with a 480p output?

welshy

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:43 pm

KitchUK
I run all RetroArch Cores (and all but one of my emulators) with HDMI Output at maximum setting (1920x1200).

KitchUK

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:09 pm

Thank you Welshy. I've spent most of today trying to figure out my problem with Golden Axe 2. Tried multiple roms and still same problem. Also tried dgen and had a similar problem and it mentioned something about the 'bad checksum'.

Do you not find that that resolution makes games a little sluggish, even with an overclock?

welshy

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:57 am

KitchUK
Nope, I did try altering the resolution for RetroArch PCE_Fast Core because CD & SGX games were running slowly, made little to no difference.

Vanfanel

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:43 am

@KitchUK: The "stand alone" PicoDrive binary you're using is outdated. Please compile your own RetroArch one based on the latest sources.
Using high resolutions with the "stand alone" binary could use a lot of the CPU time for scaling, while the RetroArch cores use hardware for that, thus making no difference between a 320x240 physical video mode and a 1920x1080 mode.

Also, look for "planet emulation" on your friend google, and forget about that corrupt Axe at once :D

fhdrin

FULLSCREEN PicoDrive figured out!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:20 am

i figured this out by being bored. I was having the same problem, being in X, run picodrive and its only in a tiny window

get out of X-Windows. make sure your in a console. run PicoDrive

wow! fullscreen pretty cool.

your welcome.

p.s. this is using the standalone binary found at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-PSbqQ ... U4d2s/edit (or the top of this topic)

Return to “Gaming”