welshy

Stella - Sound Delay

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:23 pm

I have just installed Stella on Wheezy Image '2013-05-25-wheezy-raspbian', there is a few seconds 'delay' on the sound which is an issue I haven't experienced before (except with the older Wheezy Image with 'pulseaudio' sound drivers). Changing any of the sound options does not resolve the problem and it isn't due to a new revision of Stella from the repo's as I tried another older version so I'm guessing its due to changes in the Wheezy Image (its warning of pcm_underrun). Has anybody experienced/resolved this issue?
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

REDWILD2113

Re: Stella - Sound Delay

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:51 am

welshy wrote:I have just installed Stella on Wheezy Image '2013-05-25-wheezy-raspbian', there is a few seconds 'delay' on the sound which is an issue I haven't experienced before (except with the older Wheezy Image with 'pulseaudio' sound drivers). Changing any of the sound options does not resolve the problem and it isn't due to a new revision of Stella from the repo's as I tried another older version so I'm guessing its due to changes in the Wheezy Image (its warning of pcm_underrun). Has anybody experienced/resolved this issue?
Yes I experienced exactly the same problem. Mine on all ROM files, the sound seems to have a 14 second delay. I haven't found a solution to this yet.

welshy

Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:17 am

REDWILD2113
I have still not discovered what is causing this issue, although I believe it may be the sound drivers. I also posted on the 'Operating Systems' Raspbian Thread (Link Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=52861) and was advised to 'use a newer version' which doesn't get to the fundamentals of the problem . On further testing I also discovered it is causing issues in Pcsx-ReARMed (5-10 FPS loss of speed depending on the Game, once again its warning of pcm_underrun) and no doubt other emulators/programs so have reverted to Image 2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian.
Once again, I would like to pontificate if a 'Changes' Doc was released with each update of Raspbian it would be helpful to address if the alterations would affect any programs!

beta-tester

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:10 pm

yes, i have noticed a big delay, ~10 seconds, in sound playback on stella (Atari 2600 emulator) as well.
it must be an issue of stella or in combination with raspbian or so.
to be sure, i just (2013-09-20) installed stella on a brand new virgin raspbian image (+update, +upgrade, +rpi-update), and i got still the same issue.

:x aaarrrr... crap - i am pretty sure, several month ago, i was using stella without that issue on my RPi - but i can not remember what version of stella and raspbian i was using - and now, after many many updates ago in the past, i don't have that image anymore.

EDIT: "export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa" does not fix that issue.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (256MB), B (512MB), B+, ZeroW; 2B; 3B, 3B+; 4B (4GB)

welshy

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:13 am

beta-tester
As indicated above its not Stella that is the issue, but the Wheezy Image. I tested a compiled, latest revision of Stella AND the Repo version across 2013-05-25-wheezy-raspbian and Image 2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian, it was only in effect in the former, it also affects other programs (see above). I am of the belief there was a change to the Sound Drivers in 2013-05-25-wheezy-raspbian which has obviously been included/crossed over into the new 2013-09-20-wheezy-raspbian. This is similar to the 'Pulse Audio' problem in 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian. One thing I have suggested before, many times, is a 'Changes' document on the Download page for new Images so at least users had a fighting chance of assessing any issues that may be caused. It isn't a slight on the writers of the Image, ALL O/S software has these issues, especially with 'home brew' software (like emulators), my PC Grafx Board causes problems with a host of emulators with the 'latest' driver updates so I just don't install them!

Heres a Link to the Image Repo if you require 'older' versions - http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/down ... /raspbian/

beta-tester

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:26 pm

hello welshy,
many thanks for the link, i will try out one of these images.
(unfortunately i switched to a multi OSes boot, where i dont know how to get an old OS to install, but for testing, i will try a single OS SD card installation - only to figure out the best OS version for stella)

do you know, if that audio driver problem is known by the developer / image builder?
and will it be fixed soon by a new image or better by apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, rpi-update?

welshy

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:16 pm

beta-tester
I don't know if the developer knows, when it became apparent the was a problem I posted here in 'Gaming' and in the O/S distributions section but never received an adequate reply. One moderator just replied 'Try a new Image' but as I said in my reply that doesn't solve/locate the issue (as you have indicated it seems to still be present in the new Wheezy Image!). But I'm guessing its sound drivers due to the 'pcm_underrun' errors in console. I NEVER do 'apt-get upgrade' (precisely due to this problem), a 'apt-get update' however doesn't affect the older Images.

raymate

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:41 am

Same here, big delay.

Just got a RPI to play retro games and Stella being top of my list as I have used this on my Mac for years. Very sad to see audio is broken, lets hope they fix it soon..'

For now Im just using mame4all

beta-tester

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:54 am

after reporting this bug to the developers of the rpi-firmware, happily, it seems now that someone tries to fix the problem...
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/388

welshy

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:33 am

beta-tester
Sweet! Thanks for reporting the issue.

beta-tester

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:26 am

it is fixed!!!
the only thing you have to do, is updating your firmware with:

sudo rpi-update
sudo reboot

that's all... :D

@popcornmix: thank you for fixing the issue so very quick!

@all others/and me: next time it would be better to report the issue to the devs in time, when you/we/i can be sure, that it is a bug... instead of crying loud... :oops:
:D

welshy

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:35 am

beta-tester
Thank you for reporting the issue and to @popcornmix for the fix, at least I know where to report problems in the future!

Return to “Gaming”