romans8

Re: GAMES LIST: Games That Work On The Pi

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:46 am

Jedi outcast and jedi academy
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 1&p=389548
(i have not personally tested outcast)
We could also use help getting it running a little faster.
Raspberry Pi model B rev 2 running Raspbian (8 GB sd) and a risc os (2GB sd)

mrpi64

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:10 am

romans8 wrote:Jedi outcast and jedi academy
Thanks, will see what I can do (bold)
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

romans8

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:07 am

mrpi64 wrote:
romans8 wrote:Jedi outcast and jedi academy
Thanks, will see what I can do (bold)
Thank you! this will be a great game to get running.
The things i would like to see out of it are, Multiplayer, able to use normal jka mods and better performance (Mabie run out of desktop?)
Raspberry Pi model B rev 2 running Raspbian (8 GB sd) and a risc os (2GB sd)

mrpi64

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:40 pm

Ok. If it uses SDL, you may just be able to port it to run out of XWin. Most SDL games work out of XWin.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

TheGreatNi

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Bump.

This shouldn't die!

I found a giant list of packages in the raspbian repositories (http://goo.gl/oIqeVx) and I'm testing them out.

I'll post again once I'm done testing...

mrpi64

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:47 pm

........ Biggie.
Of course, by emulating Win95 on a Pi, there is a huge extension to the amount of games available.
I'm happy to help.

TheGreatNi

Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:14 pm

mrpi64 wrote:........ Biggie.
Of course, by emulating Win95 on a Pi, there is a huge extension to the amount of games available.
I'll have you the list today. Emulating Win95, to my understanding, is impossible even on brand-spankin' new computer, let alone an rpi.
The only way to run Win95 on a non-Win95 system is via VMware, an there's no way the pi will see that ;)

Jessie

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:52 pm

It is possible to emulate an x86 win95 install with qemu. It takes a whole lot of time just to boot. After that you can't do much useful because of how slow it is. There is a thread on it in the "off topic" section of the forums.

TheGreatNi

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Jessie wrote:It is possible to emulate an x86 win95 install with qemu. It takes a whole lot of time just to boot. After that you can't do much useful because of how slow it is. There is a thread on it in the "off topic" section of the forums.
Interesting. Again, my point about the lag still stands.

Anyways, here's that list of all the tested games (warning, some of these you might not consider "games". These are colored yellow):

Everything between the lines are apt-get

======================================================
3D Chess - Play chess across 3 axises
4digit - Classic "find the pattern" game
ACM - 3D flight simulator
Airstrike - Fun 1 or 2 player 2D aerial combat game
Alex the Alligator 4 - retro 2D platformer, natively supports gampads. Can play in console
Allegro Demo - 2D space shooter, demonstrates the Allegro library
Atom-4 - Game where you build atoms
Atomic Tanks - Tank fighting game
B.A.L.L.Z. - 2D platformer staring a blue, constantly rolling ball
Battleball - 3D Tank game where you push around a ball
Desmume - Emulator for NDS (emulation not tested, the program only runs in X11) See below
Freesweep - Console based minesweeper
Galaga - Game that pays homage to the original arcade classic
Galaga:Hyperspace - Sequel to Galaga on rpi
GNU Shogi - (no comment, I couldn't figure out how to play this one)
Hexxagon - Port of the classic marble capture game
Mancala - Plays like the board game, but uses numbers instead of marbles
Overgod - Asteroids clone with impressive graphics
pipenightdreams - Use pipes to flow the goo into the exit pipe
Xye - (no comment, took to long to load :/)
qonk - (no comment, couldn't figure out how to play)
Rafkill - 2D shooter with some 3D graphics
RealTimeBattle (no comment, couldn't figure out how to play)
Slashe'EM - Game that appears similar to nethack (couldn't figure out how to play)
Snake4 - Snake clone, but with several added features
Space Aryarya - psuedo-3D shooter, similar to space invaders
SpaceZero - 2D space exploration game
Spout - Unique retro 2D flying game with interesting pixel physics
Stax - Puzzle game where you must eliminate all colored asterisks before your opponent
tagua - Chess engine with built-in console
Teddy - Displays a teddy bear on your desktop
Tetzle - Tile puzzle game using images on your rpi
TINT - Console-based tetris clone
vavoom - Doom launcher, must have Doom or a supported variant installed along side it
Wing - 2D shooting game with confusing controls
wordplay - no comment, must start from console
wmpuzzle - A tile puzzle with Tux
Xabacus - An abacus game run in X11
Xball - Ball simulation window with modifiable settings
XBill - Kill all the nerds before they put viruses on the computers!
XBlast-TNT - Bomberman clone with impressive graphics
Xboing - Breakout clone (couldn't figure out how to play)
XBomb - Minesweeper clone that can use squares, triangles, and hexagons
XBubble - Bubble shooting game with impressive graphics
xchain - 2 player game (couldn't figure out how to play)
xdemineur - Very close clone of minesweeper on Windows (looks the same)
XGammon - Backgammon for X11
XInvaders 3D - Impressive 3D-vector Invaders clone
Xjig - Jigsaw puzzle solver
xmahjongg - The classic orient game for rpi
XJump - Infinite tower climbing game for rpi
xmpuzzles - Installing this package installs a variety of puzzles that all run in X11
Xmille - (couldn't figure out how to play)
Xmountains - Generates a 3D landscape of land and sea
Xonix - Jezzball clone
Xpatience2 - Solitaire collection
XScavenger - (couldn't figure out how to play)
XScorch - Tank game that plays like Hedge Wars
XShogi - (couldn't figure out how to play)
XSkat - (couldn't figure out how to play)
Xsokoban - Block-pushing puzzle game
XSoldier - 2D space shooter
X Solitaire - Solitaire in X11
Xtron - Tron clone for X11
XTux - (couldn't start a new game)
Xvier - 4-in-a-row game for X11
XWelltris - Interesting Psuedo-3D Tetris clone
yahtzeesharp - Yahtzee for rpi
yics - (couldn't figure out how to play, must start from console)
Zatacka - (couldn't start a new game, probably broken)
======================================================

I've attached an unedited list of all the games I found below.
I'm currently testing out Blocky (mirror).

EDIT: After testing Desmume on X11 it not only starts, but also runs nds games!...
...at about 2-10 fps. And that was using a sprite-based game.
So while you can get Desmume to run games, it's hopelessly to slow :(.
On another semi-related note, what about mednafen? Every time I try to run it with a game (tried Wonderswan Color and NES) it just gives me a blank screen. My searches haven't turned up anything...
After searching the slightest bit harder, it turns out it only runs in X. Will try as soon as my corrupted SD card is done loading a backup ;).
Attachments
full-list.zip
(1.76 KiB) Downloaded 449 times

encryptor

NES Games Played with Mednafen

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Using LXTerminal I installed mednafen which supports the NES (Nintendo Entertainment System). Now I downloaded a NES game from CoolRoms.com. It's Mega_Man.zip. How can I play this game? Does it play in MAME4ALL? I already have that downloaded and installed on my pi too. Please help. Thx

// sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mednafen

TheGreatNi

Re: NES Games Played with Mednafen

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:46 am

encryptor wrote:Using LXTerminal I installed mednafen which supports the NES (Nintendo Entertainment System). Now I downloaded a NES game from CoolRoms.com. It's Mega_Man.zip. How can I play this game? Does it play in MAME4ALL? I already have that downloaded and installed on my pi too. Please help. Thx

// sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mednafen
First off, remove everything in your post about roms. We simply can't discuss them due to their questionable legal status ;)

Mednafen has been giving me strife as well. You won't be able to play it in MAME4ALL I don't think, and either way it's not a good idea. There are better emulators. Mednafen is said to work on Pi, but alas, I have yet to see this some true. You must be running it from Xwindows by running:

Code: Select all

startx
Once in, you'll need to start up LXTerminal. Next, we need to find your rom. In your case, it's probably in your downloads folder, which would be:

cd /home/pi/Downloads/
Once inside of the directory with your roms, simply type:

ls
This will show everything currently in that directory. Please note that you will have to unzip the rom before being able to play it. It has to end in .nes, not .zip.
Once you've figured out the name of the game, you'll probably have to rename it. Here's some examples:

Wrong:

mednafen ./This is an example.nes
The spaces in the file name will simply return you an error. If you still want the spaces there, change them to underscores (_).

Right:

mednafen ./example_rom.nes
That should do it! However, if an expert can help ME out, mednafen simply returns an error saying it couldn't start the graphics. How would one go about fixing this?

encryptor

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:59 am

yes I get the same error-

~/roms $ mednafen MegaMan.nes

initializing video...
Couldn't find matching GLX visual

mrpi64

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:38 am

Probably means that it has to be run in graphical mode (i.e: xwindows)
Will add rest of games later
I'm happy to help.

welshy

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:41 am

Guys
Mednafen Only works in XWindows unless you couple it with the Dispmanx Back End for Console use (See Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=25146) which I would recommend as many of the Emulators contained will render too slowly at anything other than 1-2X resolution. To be honest, unless you are using the PCEngine Emulator for SuperGrafx/CD Titles (RetroArch is far superior with PCE Hu-Card Titles but slow for these) there are other solutions which provide better alternatives for every other System. Check the Emulation on the Raspberry Pi Thread for everuthing EMU related

Link - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=54357
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

encryptor

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:27 pm

When anyone says xwindows they're talking about being in the Raspbian GUI environment, right? Once in a GUI I'd think to click on the file - MegaMan.nes. I believe when I do that it opens MAME and says "Error: No Games In Rom Folder". Specifically, how do I get this file to associate with emulator mednafen from the GUI? Thx

:geek:

welshy

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:43 pm

encryptor wrote:When anyone says xwindows they're talking about being in the Raspbian GUI environment, right? Once in a GUI I'd think to click on the file - MegaMan.nes. I believe when I do that it opens MAME and says "Error: No Games In Rom Folder". Specifically, how do I get this file to associate with emulator mednafen from the GUI? Thx :geek:
OK, yes XWindows is 'X' or the Windows Environment. Mednafen has no GUI and is Command Line only (unless you integrate it into one e.g. AdvanceMENU) so its Terminal Time!

Open a Terminal and run Mednafen
Type: mednafen
This will create a hidden Folder (.mednafen)
This folder should contain a mednafen.cfg file, open it and change the Graphics Drivers from OpenGL to SDL and save
Now, put your ROMS in an appropriately named folder (e.g. medroms)
Run again with the folder location and file you wish to load
e.g. mednafen /home/pi/medroms/MegaMan.nes

TheGreatNi

Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:01 pm

welshy wrote:
encryptor wrote:When anyone says xwindows they're talking about being in the Raspbian GUI environment, right? Once in a GUI I'd think to click on the file - MegaMan.nes. I believe when I do that it opens MAME and says "Error: No Games In Rom Folder". Specifically, how do I get this file to associate with emulator mednafen from the GUI? Thx :geek:
OK, yes XWindows is 'X' or the Windows Environment. Mednafen has no GUI and is Command Line only (unless you integrate it into one e.g. AdvanceMENU) so its Terminal Time!

Open a Terminal and run Mednafen
Type: mednafen
This will create a hidden Folder (.mednafen)
This folder should contain a mednafen.cfg file, open it and change the Graphics Drivers from OpenGL to SDL and save
Now, put your ROMS in an appropriately named folder (e.g. medroms)
Run again with the folder location and file you wish to load
e.g. mednafen /home/pi/medroms/MegaMan.nes
Thanks a heap, I feel so stupid now! Now wonder it returned a graphics error!
Will have to try this out when I return home!

Also, as a side note to those of you using RetroPie, you can't really use mednafen within RetroPie because it requires X11 to be running. If only there was a gui for mednafen, or something...

welshy

Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:16 pm

TheGreatNi
As previously stated, unless you require Mednafen for something very specific which isn't available elsewhere (in my case PCEngine SuperGrafx and CD Titles). RetroArch or other 'Stand Alone' Emulators provide far better solutions/performance for the Systems Mednafen replicates.

TheGreatNi

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:10 pm

welshy wrote:TheGreatNi
As previously stated, unless you require Mednafen for something very specific which isn't available elsewhere (in my case PCEngine SuperGrafx and CD Titles). RetroArch or other 'Stand Alone' Emulators provide far better solutions/performance for the Systems Mednafen replicates.
I know. I prefer console-based emulators much more than the ones only available in xwindows.
I've just been trying to see the limits of the Pi, and what it can emulate/play. This is a very interesting combo. PC-Engine can be done via RetroArch/Emulation Station, and I would recommend it over mednafen in X. Did you know Supergrafx games are just re-vamped pc-engine games, and can be played in a pc-engine emulator? They don't the "perks" that the Supergrafx may have given the game, but it's a good solution for those. It introduces several new systems onto the pi, which are:
Atari Lynx
Wonderswan +Wonderswan Color
Virtual Boy
Supergrafx (full support)
PC-Engine CD
PC-FX

I plan on testing them all and posting my results here.
The ones in blue are ones I'm really interested to see. Now if we could only get a Sega CD emulator...

encryptor

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:38 am

I got mednafen to work with my nintendo games using Raspbian and the terminal. It works, but the audio sounds distorted and is still a little slow motion. I'm already using a MEDIUM overclocking speed and this is a fresh copy of Raspbian.

TheGreatNi

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:34 pm

encryptor wrote:I got mednafen to work with my nintendo games using Raspbian and the terminal. It works, but the audio sounds distorted and is still a little slow motion. I'm already using a MEDIUM overclocking speed and this is a fresh copy of Raspbian.
Just as a general precaution, emulation in xwindows is generally slower than console based emulation, simply because it's forced to run both the desktop and the emulator, rather than just an emulator alone in console.
Your audio programs are due to emulation's imperfect nature ;)

welshy

Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:59 pm

TheGreatNi
'Did you know Supergrafx games are just re-vamped pc-engine games, and can be played in a pc-engine emulator?'
Well sort of, the History of the SuperGrafx is quite interesting. It was basically just a 'PC Engine+' (double GPU's, an additional controller and more RAM with no sound upgrade) rather than the proposed 16Bit CPU 'PC Engine 2'. NAMCO had approached NEC with a prospective 16Bit Console they had developed (the so called 'Super System'), Hudson 'panicked' their partner was tempted to jump ship as their 16Bit replacement wasn't close to being completed, thus the SuperGrafx was quickly developed and rushed into production.

'PC-Engine can be done via RetroArch'
Yes, but other than standard Hu-Cards its not fast enough for SG/CD Titles at my O/C, so I compiled a newer version of Mednafen (using the 'pce_fast' emulator core) and combined it with an SDL Dispmanx back end so it runs in Console at 1920x1200.

I have previously written about the PC Engine along with a link to the Binary described above which can be found

Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=35906

TheGreatNi

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:52 pm

welshy wrote:TheGreatNi
'Did you know Supergrafx games are just re-vamped pc-engine games, and can be played in a pc-engine emulator?'
Well sort of, the History of the SuperGrafx is quite interesting. It was basically just a 'PC Engine+' (double GPU's, an additional controller and more RAM with no sound upgrade) rather than the proposed 16Bit CPU 'PC Engine 2'. NAMCO had approached NEC with a prospective 16Bit Console they had developed (the so called 'Super System'), Hudson 'panicked' their partner was tempted to jump ship as their 16Bit replacement wasn't close to being completed, thus the SuperGrafx was quickly developed and rushed into production.

'PC-Engine can be done via RetroArch'
Yes, but other than standard Hu-Cards its not fast enough for SG/CD Titles at my O/C, so I compiled a newer version of Mednafen (using the 'pce_fast' emulator core) and combined it with an SDL Dispmanx back end so it runs in Console at 1920x1200.

I have previously written about the PC Engine along with a link to the Binary described above which can be found

Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=35906
Yup! I know the generalities of the history. For those of you out there wanting to play the, what, 7(?) SuperGrafx games, you can play them in a standard PC-Engine emulator.

EDIT: Have you tried emulating PC-FX? I tried downloading an iso, and the download just failed.

welshy

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:09 am

TheGreatNi
'For those of you out there wanting to play the, what, 7(?) SuperGrafx games'
Yup, lol. 5 specific Titles (Dai Makai Mura (Ghouls N Ghosts) and 1941 Counter Attack are the only ones worth playing) and 2 PCEngine/SGX hybrids!

' Have you tried emulating PC-FX? I tried downloading an iso, and the download just failed.'
No its probably the ONLY System I don't have an Emulator for. There isn't a Title for the PC-FX that I really consider worth Emulating, it may be in the Repo version of Mednafen they don't work as CD compatibility is not present (although the Core is).

mrpi64

Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:47 pm

.iso files are CD-rom files, aren't they?
I'm happy to help.

Return to “Gaming”