tinkernaut

Re: PiFBA released - Final Burn Alpha arcade emulator

Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:46 am

aguirrech wrote:Hi pudding,

Got it working! Another issue, after editing the fba2x config file to map another button configuration for keyboard or joystick, the changes aren't recognized and Pifba keeps the same button configuration.

I have the Retropie SNES basic configuration for joystick. Tested with "jstest /dev/input/js0" command. And i am running Pifba from the Retropie Frontend with "./fba2x ROM".

Any suggestions? 8-)

Marvel vs Capcom 2 is not supported?
I'm having a similar problem to this. The custom keys that I set up in fba2x.cfg don't seem to be working, and the default keys don't seem to be working for me either. Tried hitting every key on my keyboard to no avail.

That aside, this is awesome! I'm just happy to see marvel vs capcom running on my arcade cab at full speed. That was pretty much my holy grail for that project. Great work!

pudding

Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:15 am

kalehrl, all neogeo should run at full speed when overclocked. You've got the fps counter displayed? "--showfps" The mslug games themselves ran with slowdown even in the original arcades.

tinkernaut, try downloading again, I've fixed a bug that may have stopped it reading the cfg file.
Author of MAME4ALL for Pi, PiSNES, PiFBA & PiMenu

welshy

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:20 am

kalehrl
Pudding is correct many SNK titles running on the MVS hardware (or the Neo-Geo Console) do actually suffer from occasional 'Slowdown'. The most obvious game afflicted with this is Metal Slug 2, Metal Slug X was released a few months later to fix these 'issues' and is effectively a Metal Slug 2 'Remix'.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

kalehrl

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:39 pm

As I wrote in the original message, I'm referring to the sound being slowed down, not the game.
Please compare the sound quality using your mame4all-pi and pifba with, for example, mslug rom.
I hope you will notice the difference in sound quality - using pifba the sound is slowed down a bit and there is static which are not present when using mame4all-pi

welshy

Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:55 pm

kalehrl
I detect no disenable difference (using HDMI), perhaps it's a composite/analogue issue?

kalehrl

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Yes, it is analogue audio issue because via HDMI you get digital sound.

tinkernaut

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:42 pm

pudding wrote:kalehrl, all neogeo should run at full speed when overclocked. You've got the fps counter displayed? "--showfps" The mslug games themselves ran with slowdown even in the original arcades.

tinkernaut, try downloading again, I've fixed a bug that may have stopped it reading the cfg file.
Hello again,

I just downloaded a fresh copy, but the same issue is happening. I found that one key seems to work, and that's whichever key shows the current FPS on the screen.

Am I getting this from the most up-to-date source? I'm using wget to download it from http://pifba.googlecode.com/git/piFBA.zip

Thanks for your help!

*UPDATE*
I just installed a second copy through the pi store, and I'm having the same problem. No difference between running through terminal or x either. The controls in the config file work as intended within the frontend, they just don't do anything within fba2x.

tinkernaut

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:07 pm

Just downloaded the new release today. Still can't get any controls to map to fba2x, though they map to the frontend just fine. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm just trying to map keyboard keys, nothing special. Here is what my fba2x.cfg looks like, just for reference.

Code: Select all

[Keyboard]
# Get codes from /usr/include/SDL/SDL_keysym.h
A_1=99
B_1=122
X_1=120
Y_1=118
L_1=308
R_1=32
START_1=49
SELECT_1=53
LEFT_1=274
RIGHT_1=273
UP_1=275
DOWN_1=276
QUIT=13

[Joystick]
# Get codes from "jstest /dev/input/js0"
# from package "joystick"
A_1=0
B_1=1
X_1=2
Y_1=3
L_1=4
R_1=6
START_1=9
SELECT_1=8
#Joystick axis
#JA_LR=0
#JA_UD=1

[Graphics]
DisplaySmoothStretch=1
# Display Effect: 0 none, 1 scanlines
DisplayEffect=0
DisplayBorder=0
MaintainAspectRatio=1

[Sound]

welshy

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:22 pm

tinkernaut
It looks like you haven't changed the joystick values in the config file (they are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc). I believe the defaults are for a Saitek P380 they may need altering depending on your joypad/joystick

tinkernaut

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:26 pm

welshy wrote:tinkernaut
It looks like you haven't changed the joystick values in the config file (they are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc). I believe the defaults are for a Saitek P380 they may need altering depending on your joypad/joystick
My joysticks are hooked up to a keyboard encoder, so my directionals on the stick map to the up down left right arrows, and my buttons just map to regular lettered keys. That's why I mapped the controls under the keyboard section. Was that wrong?

welshy

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:36 pm

No, that seems reasonable! Have you tried PiSNES or PiMAME4ALL, I would imagine they use the same coding 4 control (all written by pudding). At least that would possibly eliminate its PiFBA alone!

tinkernaut

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:04 pm

I've tried pisnes and it worked fine for me. It's so strange that the controls are recognized in the frontend (capex?), but not in fba2x. The config file is being read properly in that case, so I imagine there has to be some issue with fba2x itself.

welshy

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Yup, at least that proves its PiFBA, perhaps you could add it as an 'Issue' at his code website.

Link - https://code.google.com/p/pifba/

pudding

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:36 pm

No problems running the Pi Store version of PiFBA for me with reconfigured keys.

How are you running this?
tinkernaut wrote:I've tried pisnes and it worked fine for me. It's so strange that the controls are recognized in the frontend (capex?), but not in fba2x. The config file is being read properly in that case, so I imagine there has to be some issue with fba2x itself.

tinkernaut

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:13 pm

pudding wrote:No problems running the Pi Store version of PiFBA for me with reconfigured keys.

How are you running this?
tinkernaut wrote:I've tried pisnes and it worked fine for me. It's so strange that the controls are recognized in the frontend (capex?), but not in fba2x. The config file is being read properly in that case, so I imagine there has to be some issue with fba2x itself.
I've run the Pi Store version through the x window gui (from the terminal app), and I downloaded a separate copy from the google code page. That one I ran straight from the terminal (without running startx). Neither one works with either my custom keys or the default ones that you include with piFBA. I've tried hitting every key on my keyboard with both my custom fba2x.cfg and your default one, and nothing seems to happen within the emulator.

tinkernaut

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:59 pm

I just installed a fresh copy from the pi store, and launched it through the pi store directly this time without modifying anything other than creating a sym link to my rom directory. Nothing on the keyboard seems to have any effect. I feel like I must be missing something obvious :P

vuqnguyen

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:04 am

I have the exact same issue. Using the default config, no keys work for me. The front end is fine. However, once inside a game, no buttons work at all. I have mame4all-pi on the same system and it works perfectly.

pudding

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:51 am

tinkernaut, I've found the bug and fixed it, please re-download piFBA. The problem was the keyboard would not work if no joystick was plugged in. Thanks for finding and reporting the bug.

tinkernaut

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:25 pm

pudding wrote:tinkernaut, I've found the bug and fixed it, please re-download piFBA. The problem was the keyboard would not work if no joystick was plugged in. Thanks for finding and reporting the bug.
Thanks for your help! And great job on such a timely fix. I'm sure that couldn't have been easy to narrow down.

pudding

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:35 pm

tinkernaut wrote:I'm sure that couldn't have been easy to narrow down.
You can say that again! ;)

Vanfanel

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:24 pm

@pudding:

mslug2 (Metal Slug 2) is broken in this new version. It played without problems on the first versions of pifba, but now it has wrong colors. I'd say there's something wrong with the palette. Other Neo Geo games work well.

mslug (Metal Slug 1) has a strange border left and right, too.

nexusrex

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:12 pm

can i make it a system on the retropie
and is there any guide of making a system like PiFBA on retropie
i will install it from the pi store
for my Portable Gaming Computer

cornpie

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:48 am

Help i cant figure out how to start games (from the front end) it says press control but that doesn't work

welshy

Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:57 pm

cornpie
Pressing Enter (not Control) loads the game selected in the GUI.

cornpie

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:01 pm

I hit enter then it takes me to some kind of menu what do i choose

Return to “Gaming”