Forgotten01

Re: Jedi Knight?

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:22 am

Okay, I am totally confused, could you give me more details please, where do I place the Base folder, and where is the executable file?
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.
Scott Adams

romans8

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:17 am

the link i gave you has the exe in it.

You make a folder on the PI and call it gamedata put the exe and the other stuff in the zip file
then inside gamedata you copy your games base (from your pc) there

I hope this makes sense
Raspberry Pi model B rev 2 running Raspbian (8 GB sd) and a risc os (2GB sd)

Forgotten01

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:28 pm

What is the file name of the exe, do I need to execute it in terminal, and if so, what is the commands?
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.
Scott Adams

romans8

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:51 pm

Forgotten01 wrote:What is the file name of the exe, do I need to execute it in terminal, and if so, what is the commands?
i forget the exe name (and it is not an EXE in linex :P) and no this game only works in desktop right now.

Mabie i should post pictures
Last edited by romans8 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forgotten01

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:15 pm

Sorry romans8, you just aren't very helpful, does anyone else know what to do?
Scott Adams

Henrik42

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:46 am

Download http://www.allt2.se/henrik_e/sw/Academy_Compiled.tar.gz or http://www.allt2.se/henrik_e/sw/Outcast_Compiled.tar.gz and extract.
Place the Base folder in the new folder that was created (Academy_Compiled or Outcast_Compiled).
The executables are called jk2sp for Outcast and jasp for Academy.
Currently you need to run it under X. Open a terminal and cd to the folder then run "./jk2sp" or "./jasp".

Forgotten01

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Boy is this frustrating,
Now I am getting an error saying

./jk2sp error while loading shared libraries libopenal.so.1 cannot open shared object file, no such file or directory

Am I missing something?
Scott Adams

Henrik42

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:07 pm

You need to install libopenal1 and possibly libxrandr2 and libxxf86vm1.
Doing "sudo apt-get install libxxf86vm-dev libopenal-dev libxrandr-dev cmake" will install all that you need if you want to compile it from source and what you need to run it.

Forgotten01

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:59 am

So I have to compile this?
Is there something that has been compiled already, because I have no idea how to do compiling........
Scott Adams

Henrik42

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:52 am

No. You don't have to compile it if you don't want to. The files i linked are precompiled but you need those libraries to run it.

Forgotten01

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:31 pm

Ahh okay, I downloaded it and now I can play it, thanks!

Do you know if the game still uses a cfg file for its settings, like for keybinds and graphics? I could do some tweaking and try to get better performance From the game
Scott Adams

romans8

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:43 pm

Forgotten01 wrote:Ahh okay, I downloaded it and now I can play it, thanks!

Do you know if the game still uses a cfg file for its settings, like for keybinds and graphics? I could do some tweaking and try to get better performance From the game

I am glad you got it working. and no i forget i corrupted my SD card and need to re-format it so i forget. it would work better if they used OPEN-JK as a base performance wise.

Nintendo16kid

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:12 pm

Huh, might try this out later.
I am amazed at what can be done by such a small and cheap device!

robotmaker

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:43 am

okay, don't know if anyone is still working on this, but if they are, might this help a little bit? :D
http://www.raspberrypi.org/quake-iii-bo ... -a-winner/
I'm hungry. Pi anyone?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:22 am

robotmaker wrote:okay, don't know if anyone is still working on this, but if they are, might this help a little bit? :D
http://www.raspberrypi.org/quake-iii-bo ... -a-winner/
The open source driver has about half the performance of the closed source driver.
Because it is open, then the performance can be improved if there are people interested in working on it.
But for now, you are better off with the default closed source driver.

(and I'm 99% sure the performance improvements need to be done to the Jedi Knight game engine, not the OpenGL ES driver).

romans8

Tue May 27, 2014 1:00 am

Is anyone still working on this? or should i learn so i can port it to the pi.

griz

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:50 pm

(and I'm 99% sure the performance improvements need to be done to the Jedi Knight game engine, not the OpenGL ES driver).
Has anyone tested Jedi Knight on a Raspberry Pi 2?

romans8

Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:31 pm

If anyone can get their hands on it... but i think it would work well! jedi academy was built for computers with about 1.8GHz 500mb ram (this is the worst i have tested it on) so quad core 900mhz (overclock to 1ghz just to make it even :) so equivalent of 4GHz single core ) with a gig of ram should run it fine

dan3008

Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:06 pm

romans8 wrote:so equivalent of 4GHz single core ) with a gig of ram should run it fine
Assuming that jedi outcast is multithreadding so can take advantage of multiple cores...
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

Henrik42

Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:53 pm

I have tried both Academy and Outcast on the Pi 2 now.
Outcast runs at about 60 fps most of the time but it sometimes drops down to 20-30 if there are many enemies.
Academy runs much slower at 20-30 most of the time.

The setting that seems to have the most influence on fps is "Geometric Detail".

Something seems to have happened in Raspbian since I last tried this because I had a very hard time getting the audio to work. I also tried it on my B+ and had the same problems.
If OpenAL is not enabled in the config file the game hangs at startup.
With OpenAL the audio stops working after a while. It seems to be at least somewhat reliable since I changed /etc/openal/alsoft.conf to include:
rt-prio = 1
periods = 16
drivers = oss
No one of these settings was enough of it's own.
With the oss driver selected you also have to load the module snd-pcm-oss
If you are satisfied with no sound set drivers = null in /etc/openal/alsoft.conf.

romans8

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:59 am

I can't wait to get my hand on one of the new PI-2. did you disable EAX(?) advanced sound? does multiplayer work? Open-JK? and does it utilize all the CPU cores?
Henrik42 wrote:I have tried both Academy and Outcast on the Pi 2 now.
Outcast runs at about 60 fps most of the time but it sometimes drops down to 20-30 if there are many enemies.
Academy runs much slower at 20-30 most of the time.

The setting that seems to have the most influence on fps is "Geometric Detail".

Something seems to have happened in Raspbian since I last tried this because I had a very hard time getting the audio to work. I also tried it on my B+ and had the same problems.
If OpenAL is not enabled in the config file the game hangs at startup.
With OpenAL the audio stops working after a while. It seems to be at least somewhat reliable since I changed /etc/openal/alsoft.conf to include:
rt-prio = 1
periods = 16
drivers = oss
No one of these settings was enough of it's own.
With the oss driver selected you also have to load the module snd-pcm-oss
If you are satisfied with no sound set drivers = null in /etc/openal/alsoft.conf.

Henrik42

Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:03 pm

romans8 wrote:I can't wait to get my hand on one of the new PI-2. did you disable EAX(?) advanced sound? does multiplayer work? Open-JK? and does it utilize all the CPU cores?
I don't think that EAX actually works in Linux. The only effect it should have now is to force openal. With this setting disabled the game hangs now.
There is no multiplayer. The code I used (the Pandora port by ptitSeb) does not have the multiplayer code.

I have had a look at porting the renderer to OpenJK, but it will take a lot of work. Also the multiplayer part uses a different renderer so it would be more than double the work to get it going.

The games seems to do most of the work in one thread so it does not benefit much from multi-core.

romans8

Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:29 am

it is rather annoying noone has made a linex port of jamp.exe even for a normal debian computer and the game doesn't run well under wine in some circumstances. also what did you split between gpu/cpu?
Henrik42 wrote:
romans8 wrote:I can't wait to get my hand on one of the new PI-2. did you disable EAX(?) advanced sound? does multiplayer work? Open-JK? and does it utilize all the CPU cores?
I don't think that EAX actually works in Linux. The only effect it should have now is to force openal. With this setting disabled the game hangs now.
There is no multiplayer. The code I used (the Pandora port by ptitSeb) does not have the multiplayer code.

I have had a look at porting the renderer to OpenJK, but it will take a lot of work. Also the multiplayer part uses a different renderer so it would be more than double the work to get it going.

The games seems to do most of the work in one thread so it does not benefit much from multi-core.

Henrik42

Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:12 pm

romans8 wrote:it is rather annoying noone has made a linex port of jamp.exe even for a normal debian computer and the game doesn't run well under wine in some circumstances. also what did you split between gpu/cpu?
Doesn't the builds from http://builds.openjk.org/ work for multiplayer? I have only played it in singleplayer and that works great under Linux.

I had the GPU-mem set to 256.

Forgotten01

Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:55 am

hey guys, whenever I try to start either game, I get an error saying Couldn't open Display

Error : GLimp_Init() - Invalid GL Driver
Scott Adams

Return to “Gaming”