SmoothGummi

RetroPie loads, ROMs show up, but do not load

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:49 am

Hey guys, I seem to be having a simple problem, but just can't figure it out.

I've gotten RetroPie to load, and it sees all of my SNES and NES ROMs, however when I click ANY of them, they do not load. All of them work fine on my PC using Emulators there.

I click any game, it plays the little "chime" that I selected it, and it immediately exits to the terminal and puts up some text very fast. Within literally a second, it goes back to my ROM list. No "error", it just goes back to my games list like nothing happened.

Any idea?

mrpi64

Re: RetroPie loads, ROMs show up, but do not load

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:38 am

Try posting this on the troubleshooting forum!
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

welshy

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:08 am

SmoothGummi
José Cerrejón Glez has a 'RetroPie Project: Definitive Guide!' on his Blog which should help!

Here - http://misapuntesde.com/post.php?lang=en

petrockblog (author of RetroPi) also has a 'wiki'

Here - https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup/wiki
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

SmoothGummi

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Welshy,

Thanks for the links. However I've looked at both of those before, and both of them are great for showing how to set it up, but they don't really cover any sort of troubleshooting tactics if you run into problems. Both of them show how to load ROM's up, but thats the problem I'm running into.

Mrpi64,

I thought about that forum, but then I saw a Gaming forum and some posts about RetroPi, so I chose here. I will try over in that forum as well.

SmoothGummi

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:15 am

I am at a complete standstill and don't know what else to try. Every guide, video, website, blog and tutorial makes no mention of any "trick" or "step" on how to load a ROM.

Every ROM shows up perfectly fine, but absolutely none of them load. Including the Doom and Duke3D ones that come with it. The only one that does load is CaveStory.

I have tried formatting and starting over countless times, tried using my Snes controller or just the keyboard. Nothing seems to work.

I even tried using the regular yellow RCA input and it doesn't even get as far. As soon as I select the game, the TV just goes black and doesn't even take me back to the ROM list like it does on HDMI. Do I have some sort of resolution issue? Does this not work on widescreen plasma TV's or something?

welshy

Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:50 pm

SmoothGummipi
Perhaps it is down to the ’Image’ of Retro you obtained. There are other multi emulator packaged CD Images available -

Carles Oriol’s Raspbian Chameleon remix - http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3075
Shea Silverman’s Pi MAME - http://blog.sheasilverman.com/pimame-ra ... -download/

However, I suggest as individual emulators that are RPi ‘optimised’ are becoming available and many include built in GUI’s try some of them out, as you initial post stated NES & SNES ROMS -

NES
Andrey has ported fceux, a Nintendo Famicom/NES Emulator to the RPi with native Open GLES 2 support Here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/uu751ibdqmvq0co/fceux.zip

SNES
pudding author of the excellent PiMAME4ALL has produced PiSNES (including dispmanx, ALSA audio, SDL for input) which can be downloaded from the Pi Store or directly Here - http://code.google.com/p/pisnes/

Also check the ‘Sticky’ thread EMULATION ON THE RPi (UPDATE), I try to keep it updated with anything new.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

fitoria

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:45 am

I have the same exact issue, the roms show up but they don't load :(

The rom loads in the manual command way but not from the rom selector screen.

ulysess

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:18 pm

fitoria wrote:I have the same exact issue, the roms show up but they don't load :(

The rom loads in the manual command way but not from the rom selector screen.
I think it's an error from 1.6 version, not your problem. Update the distro.
Mis apuntes de...Raspberry Pi: http://misapuntesde.com
Google Docs RPi: http://goo.gl/Iwhbq

SmoothGummi

Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks for the replies all, but I'm still having the exact same issue. I've tried to make it just as simple as possible for troubleshooting purposes. Removing anything that could possible be considered unnecessary to simply get a game started.

Just the following:

1. Fresh Image on the SD Card
2. Loads automatically into RetroPie, I configure the buttons on a keyboard (removing the possibility of the controller causing any sort of weird issue).
3. Exit RetroPie
4. Load a single rom into the NES folder using Flash FXP. (I’ve tried 10 different ones)
5. Restarting the Raspberry Pi, automatically loading into RetroPie
6. Go to the NES page and try to load the rom that shows up just fine.
6. Audible Chime heard, black screen, reloads the NES rom page.

I just have no idea. I’m not trying to do anything fancy. I haven’t even configured the buttons for the actual NES emulator, though I’ve done that before and it did the same thing.

moblo

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:55 pm

I too am having the exact same problem. I eliminated image and sd card issues by trying on my mac osx using rpi sd card builder and also tried using dd in linux in a terminal. i tried two different sd card (one of them brand new). On the Pi side, i am using a 256/256 men split on my model B. Previously, I was using version 1.2 and that worked perfectly fine. The only thing thats changed was back then I was using a 4.3" screen and now a 7" screen. they have both been through composite. I posted in the retroPie thread, but still awaiting a response. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

olanin

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:45 pm

same problem here. It took a pic with my phone when the error comes up.

using "dejavu sans mono-16", pixelsize=16.67 file=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-demap: vt01 => fb0
======ANTY, to the extenteftware;ing gover
======
======
======

moblo

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:42 pm

To narrow down the problem, I do not get this issue over hdmi. Only composite.

olanin

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:57 pm

I get the error both ways.

ulysess

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:18 am

Like I said: It's not your fault, it's RetroPie!

Read here: http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/top ... #post-2345

Good Luck!
Mis apuntes de...Raspberry Pi: http://misapuntesde.com
Google Docs RPi: http://goo.gl/Iwhbq

ThePiIsALie

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:28 pm

I too have the problem described in the first post but only with a few SNES ROMs. (didn't try much more except one GBC game which worked)
SNES games that worked: Final Fantasy VI, Super Mariokart
SNES games that didn't work: Zelda 3, Super Mario Allstars

It can't be the mentioned RCA video problem because I am only using HDMI.

jayminer

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:48 pm

I have the exact same problem using the pre-made image linked from petrockblog.

The odd thing is first time I started everything up I could exit emulationstation and got a bash-shell, where I enabled SSH-access (maybe it was also enabled by default, didn't really check), expanded the filesystem, disabled overscan and so on. I also set the overclock to 950MHz.

After a reboot I got to the menu, transferred some games but couldn't launch any, and I couldn't get to bash anymore by pressing F4, emulationstation shut down, but after a few seconds it started again.

If I tried to SSH to the pi I got thrown out aswell, almost looks like emulationstation is set as default shell instead of bash, after this I noticed the filesystem was starting to act up, so I'm not sure if my problems are because of my Pi not liking to run at 950MHz or a bad SD card or something else, but gonna make one more try without overclocking and another SD-card.

jayminer

Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Okay, small update.

I started from scratch and hasn't overclocked or expanded the filesystem this time (yet) and so far most things have been working, except for Master System which takes me back to the menu and when I try to do anything (even just exit emulationstation) the entire thing crashes.

altDemon

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:22 pm

I did a manual install of the petrock retropie with my wheezy already on the sd card. I am having the exact same problem. Everything shows up great, the menu works, the roms show up, it plays a coin sound when you click on the rom.

But, no matter what Rom I try to load (super nintendo, game boy advanced, NES, gameboy color) it just goes to a linux command line and shows a few lines, then goes right back to the menu. So I try clicking it again, same thing. I try changing roms, same thing. Different system, same thing.

It's driving me batty. Everything else seems to be working great, but I'm stumped on this, and the internet hasn't been exactly helpful with this problem. I hope we can solve this soon.

jayminer

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:05 pm

To me it seems the problem was the filesystem got corrupted.

I still haven't tried to expand the Filesystem, perhaps that will break things again. I will try this soon because now I'm only using half of my 8GB SD Card. Have you tried not expanding the filesystem and not overclocking to see if that makes a difference?

SmoothGummi

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:41 am

Just wanted to give an update:

I am almost at the 1 month mark, and I still can't get passed this problem. I've used 1.5.1 and 1.6, used RCA and HDMI, used every emulator, tried using Keyboard vs Controller, and anything else I can think of.

I simply do not understand how people get this to work so easily. I am doing the absolute bare bones necessary to get the image on the card and loading a ROM.

All of the hardware I'm using has been confirmed to always work on the Raspberry Pi Wiki (SD Card, controller, etc).

Does anyone have any new answers? The people that get this to work so easily must be doing something that I'm overlooking. I'm at the point where I feel like I've wasted $75 on this project, and that's frustrating. :(

jayminer

Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Well, it's hard to say exactly what I did, since it worked for me on my second try.

As I mentioned before, for me it seems the file system getting corrupted was the problem, and my guess is this was due to me trying to overclock the Pi a bit too much. Have you tried writing a clean image, and before you even boot it on the Pi, change the boot.cfg to the stock 700MHz and see if that makes a difference? Some Pi:s seem to like overclocking more than others and perhaps the 900MHz that seems to be the default on the RetroPie SD-card image messes things up for you.

TiJay

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:03 pm

Hi all, registered to say I'm having the exact same problem as the OP... booted a brand new image, synced roms over from a USB, and none of them will load. Just some scrolling text and then returns me to the main screen. Regardless of overcclock setting.

Even cave story won't load! Only the Apple II and x86 pc work...

Is there an easy fix for this yet?

tinkernaut

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:34 pm

There could be many causes for this problem. The emulators (remember, for the most part every game console you are emulating is using a different program) are installed incorrectly. You can try updating your copy of RetroPie to fix this. Another possibility is that your es_systems.cfg is issuing bad commands when you select a game. EmulationStation basically just issues a command in the terminal whenever you select a game, and this command is different pretty much for every console you are trying to emulate.

Why don't you try outputting the es_systems.cfg entry here for whatever system is not working, and we can take a look to see if the command is malformed? es_systems.cfg is located in ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg typically with a standard RetroPie installation.

aaslun

Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:20 pm

I have the same problems with Retropie: ROMs show up but cannot load.

I'm into the theory that once you copy ROMs onto your SD-card the file system gets corrupted.
The reason I believe this is that I have tried reinstalling the Retropie image and when it is vanilla the pre-installed ROMs loads perfectly (Doom, Duke Nukem etc.).

I tried to copy only 1 single NES ROM first, and it loaded and started up nicely! Oh joy! I copied the single ROM file over ssh with the scp command.
:D Happy as was, thinking everything was working now I started copying some more ROMs over ssh. Rebooted the RPi and the emulators started up nicely as expected. But to my great devastation ROMs would no longer load! Back to square one! :x

Chime!... black screen... error text output... back to emulator....
Chime!... black screen... error text output... back to emulator.... :?

It seems as soon as you copy multiple ROMs into the ./roms/nes/ folder for instance the ROMs won't load! Not even the pre-installed ones.

This is a critical bug which cannot be overlooked! I'm for any other emulator OS image for the RPi that actually works? Or could someone please tell us what we are doing wrong?

chibcha8

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:15 pm

I had the same issue, both with the roms not working and with not being able to find an answer. Eventually, my fix was as follows:

1. Open "startx"
2. Open the file manager and find the actual emulator that isnt working (eg: home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/gpsp/raspberrypi/gpsp)
3. Right click on the program and go down to properties
4.Find the permissions for the program and change all three to "read and write"

It worked for me, and i hope it does for you!!
-- "They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble --

Return to “Gaming”