jukingeo

PiMame & Raspi difficulties

Wed May 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Hello All,

One of my main draws to the Raspberry Pi was that there is a distribution called PiMame that allows you to play arcade games. I have set up Mame on many machines in the past, so I figured that this would be a walk in the park and I really wanted to see how such a small computer would do running Mame.

Ok, first problem:
So I went to the PiMame site and downloaded the latest version (0.7) and used ImageWriter (for Ubuntu) to burn the .img file to a PNY 4gb class 4 card that was formatted to a FAT32 file system.
Upon burning the image, I got an error. So I tried again...another error. I then moved to my Windows partition and used my trusty Win32 Image Writer. This program is more detailed than ImageWriter and it too came up with an error, but it told me that the card didn't have enough memory. I was like what?!? The PiMame site says that it can run with a 2gig card and yet the file was almost 4gig. So I had a spare 8gig Sandisk Ultra card laying around and I burned the .img file to that and it worked.

I put this in the Raspi and followed the instructions to set the card to the full 8gig. Ok, done.

Next Problem:

I noticed that the boot menu that came up had two versions of Mame; Advance Mame and Mame4All. I selected Mame4All first as I wanted to see what that looked like...low and behold, it said it couldn't find the roms...even though I DID put the roms in the roms directory. Switching to AdvanceMame, my roms did indeed come up. So I figured there must be some issue with how Mame4All is set up in regards to pointing to the correct directory where the roms are located. I tried to find a configuration file for Mame4All, but I got nowhere.

Yet, another problem:

Ok, so after trying some games out I found that Pac Man ran nearly flawless, as did Asteroids. Astro Invader had no sounds. Peculiarly Asteroids Deluxe wouldn't boot up. (Yes it is a known working rom). I tried a later driver game by the name of Chase HQ and then I noticed things slowed down drastically. The audio was snapping and popping all over the place...I had to take my headphones off. Apparently with this game I had reached the limits of the Raspi. Upon exiting out of Chase HQ, AdvanceMame locked up and I had to force a reboot.

Upon reboot, I got all sorts of error messages saying this directory is missing, couldn't mount such and such and then it just stopped. I rebooted again and after it went through all of this again, it asked if I wanted to fix the system. Naturally I said, "Yes". It asked me about some other files and if I wanted to fix them and I said, "Yes" down the line.

After everything was done, the system rebooted again and then it looked like everything was going to be fine as it booted to the main menu. I selected AdvanceMame and the screen went blank for a second or two and then bounced me right back to the menu!!! I tried the other entries and the same thing happened. So great, one slow game blew PiMame out completely. Rebooting just has the menu doing the same thing.

This is not the first issue I had with the Raspberry Pi...it blew another partition out on me on another SD card. Needless to say I am getting the impression that the Raspi and many of the distros out there for it are 'unstable'.

While I am willing to give PiMame another go I have a few more questions:

1) CAN you get it on a 4gig SD card? I find that using an 8gig card for Mame is a waste.
2) When you exit out of a game, there is an annoying "cancel / exit" box that appears on the screen. This box requires the use of the enter button, which doesn't follow the Mame button setup...so I would like to get rid of it. Is that possible?
3) When switching games, the sound makes some loud awful popping noises. Is there a way to reduce that or eliminate it completely.
4) Since the goal would be to put this in a Mame cabinet, I would like to boot straight to AdvanceMame (or better yet Mame4All).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Geo
Last edited by jukingeo on Thu May 30, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

welshy

Re: PiMame difficulties

Thu May 23, 2013 12:43 pm

jukingeo
Mmm, I will try and give you a succinct answer.....
The fastest performing version of MAME on the Rpi is undoubtedly Squids MAME4ALL (Available Here - https://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/), however it does have some drawbacks, less games emulated because its core is older, less adjustable settings (although he keeps addressing this in newer versions). The older core really isn’t an issue because although AdvanceMAME will run Virtua Fighter and Killer Instinct for example, they are too much for the RPi Hardware to be usable/playable anyway!
PiMAME is built on the latest version of AdvMAME, so is as with ALL emulators SLOWER that older versions (Because newer revisions are released for greater accuracy, NOT optimised for performance) using an OLDER version of AdvMAME. v0.94 offers the best compromise/performance as far as AdvMAME is concerned Link Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=32259 BBUK has written an automated scrip that downloads, compiles and sets it up if you dont wish to compile it yourself.
The Asteroids Deluxe problem you mention is common in ALL games (e.g. Space Invaders, Boot Hill) that didn’t use direct observation (they used a mirror to overlay the image onto a background). You will find running in ‘X’ they are fine, but NOT from the frambuffer (In Console) but there are fixes for this (Check out Page 3 Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 3&start=50).
Chase HQ is beyond the capabilities of the RPi even using AdvMAME v0.94 although it might work in MAME4ALL which also runs Out Run, Smash TV, R-Type I & II and Mortal Kombat pretty much fullspeed (Where they are not in AdvMAME v0.94).

Hope That Helps!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

jukingeo

Thu May 23, 2013 2:54 pm

welshy wrote:jukingeo
Mmm, I will try and give you a succinct answer.....
The fastest performing version of MAME on the Rpi is undoubtedly Squids MAME4ALL (Available Here - https://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/), however it does have some drawbacks, less games emulated because its core is older, less adjustable settings (although he keeps addressing this in newer versions). The older core really isn’t an issue because although AdvanceMAME will run Virtua Fighter and Killer Instinct for example, they are too much for the RPi Hardware to be usable/playable anyway!
Mame4ALL was the one I wanted to try out when I installed PiMame. The nice thing with PiMame is that it had several emulators on board and you could choose it from a menu. Normally for rom testing and casual playing this is fine...however, I would be looking for something more arcade looking in the event I did want to build an arcade cabinet around the Raspberry Pi. However the issue I had with PiMame was that Mame4All didn't access the same rom folder and I couldn't find a configuration file for Mame4All so that I could tell it to look in the main roms folder. So I couldn't try out the roms in Mame4All.

Now in terms of playability, I am mostly looking for games from 1988 and back. After 1987 I pretty much stopped going to the arcade for video games. In the early 90s I went through a pinball phase and preferred playing those over videos. So I would be hoping that the Raspi could handle games like these.
PiMAME is built on the latest version of AdvMAME, so is as with ALL emulators SLOWER that older versions (Because newer revisions are released for greater accuracy, NOT optimised for performance) using an OLDER version of AdvMAME. v0.94 offers the best compromise/performance as far as AdvMAME is concerned Link Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=32259 BBUK has written an automated scrip that downloads, compiles and sets it up if you dont wish to compile it yourself.
Actually I would like to try Mame4ALL out. Perhaps I should try to install JUST that alone. Maybe I can use my 4gig card then.
The Asteroids Deluxe problem you mention is common in ALL games (e.g. Space Invaders, Boot Hill) that didn’t use direct observation (they used a mirror to overlay the image onto a background). You will find running in ‘X’ they are fine, but NOT from the frambuffer (In Console) but there are fixes for this (Check out Page 3 Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 3&start=50).
Right Right...Now I remember, yes those games used a mirror in the real arcade game. Nice to know there are fixes for it because I certainly can't live without my Space Invaders.
Chase HQ is beyond the capabilities of the RPi even using AdvMAME v0.94 although it might work in MAME4ALL which also runs Out Run, Smash TV, R-Type I & II and Mortal Kombat pretty much fullspeed (Where they are not in AdvMAME v0.94).
Ok, so I was hoping I could run those games you mentioned. I guess then I am best off with Mame4All anyway.

Will Mame4All run the .58 rom set? That is the earliest version I have. Next I have the .84 rom set as that is what I use in my Xbox.

Now what about the audio clicks and pops when changing games. Is that less in Mame4All? AdvMame was really 'noisy'. Certainly couldn't have all those bangs and booms in an arcade cabinet...even if it is just for a game room.

Edit: Ok, I tried to download Mame4All on it's own when I realized that was asking to download the PiStore repository into the Raspi. I was OK, so this is then just an APP and not a full OS?

I really want Mame to work off of it's own SD card. I am wondering if I should try PiMame again, but just have the roms folder point to Mame4All and not AdvanceMame.

That I might need assistance with.
Hope That Helps!
Yes it did,
Thanx

Geo

welshy

Thu May 23, 2013 5:17 pm

MAME4ALL uses v0.37b5 ROM Set so you will either have to download older versions or use clrmame to convert them (Available Here - http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/).

The “Popping” you refer to is down to PiMAME (If you use compile AdvMAME and AdvMENU yourself this isn’t an issue).

As far as “Operating Systems” go, I believe PiMAME and RetroPie use “Wheezy” but just go straight into their programs on boot by changing the config, check out the Forum, there are plenty of Threads that tell you how to do this (I just can’t recall which ones at the moment!).

Although MAME4ALL is the best performing version of MAME if you are building a dedicated “Cab” it may not be the best choice because of the lack of many features and settings that would be advantageous (AdvMAME was specifically written for that purpose originally). Another good thing about AdvMAME is you will probably find “Most” of your existing ROMS will work in it, unlike MAME4ALL. Also, if you were intending on emulating Consoles as well as Arcade Games in your Cab using AdvMENU as an AdvMAME Front End would work well as you can add other emulators into it (Unlike MAME4ALL)

As far as games go, you’re looking at early 90sROMS as your upper limit.

I wrote a thread on the games that I had running in AdvMAME 0.106 a long while ago Here -
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... st#p258390

If running AdvMAME 0.94 you can add -
KEY - GAMEMAME, MAME FILE CODE, REVISION, SAMPLES REQUIRED
Cloak & Dagger, cloak, rev 5, No
Galaga, galaga, Namco rev B, No (Although it should be ok in 0.106, I didnt have the correct ROM at the time!)
Gauntlet, gauntlet, rev 14, No
Golden Axe*, goldnaxe, set 6, No
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, indytemp, set 1, No
Marble Madness, marble, set 1, No
Paperboy*, paperboy, rev 3, No
Phoenix , phoenix, Amstar, No
Space Invaders, invaders, N/A, Yes (Will run in 0.106, this was before the "Fix")
Street fighter II*, sf2, World 910522, No
Strider* , strider, US set 1, No
Tempest, tempest, rev 3, No
Vigilante, vigilant, World, No

Its not a full list but gives you an idea of what runs fine. I have marked with an Asterisk Games that have issues/sound problems but play acceptably

But as previously posted MAME4ALL runs for instance Gyruss, Out Run, Smash TV, N.A.R.C, R-Type I & II and Mortal Kombat pretty much fullspeed (Where they are not in AdvMAME v0.94).

jukingeo

Thu May 23, 2013 5:47 pm

welshy wrote:MAME4ALL uses v0.37b5 ROM Set so you will either have to download older versions or use clrmame to convert them (Available Here - http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/).
Ok, so I decided to start over using PiMame since I did want to give this a shot with the OS rather than have Mame4ALL running from a desktop distro. This time I managed to find the roms folder for Mame4All and I put my .58 roms in there. Then I ran it. I must have tried about 50 games or so and for the most part they ran fine.

In doing my initial tests this is what I found:

1) It seems like the upper limit in terms of game issue would be around 1988 - 1990. Games such as Smash TV which DID run, albeit with choppy sound.
2) Star Wars did fail the Death Star test, but otherwise ran good (Death Star Test: When it blows up on a slower machine, the audio gets very choppy for that moment only.
3) Peculiarly, many namco games such as Galaga, Ms Pacman, Pacman all reported something missing. I found this unusual as I was using a newer rom set than specified. But it should have worked.
4) It seems that with Mame4All, the 'inverted' screen issue was taken care of and games such as Space Invaders and Asteroids Deluxe worked.
5) Overall games before 1986 ran very well and pretty smooth. This COULD be a viable cabinet option.
The “Popping” you refer to is down to PiMAME (If you use compile AdvMAME and AdvMENU yourself this isn’t an issue).
This popping was reduced quite a bit in Mame4All. Only upon exiting of the game and some other hiccups did I have issues with game noise. Lunar Lander did have some weird sound artifacts though...but that did seem to be isolated to that game.

One thing, even though the roms seem to be running very smooth in Mame4All, I do like the front end with the screenshots of Adv Mame better. Granted in a machine, I could always set the screen to one game and let it run that way.
As far as “Operating Systems” go, I believe PiMAME and RetroPie use “Wheezy” but just go straight into their programs on boot by changing the config, check out the Forum, there are plenty of Threads that tell you how to do this (I just can’t recall which ones at the moment!).
Yes, I think you put the application in a start up folder or something. However, even with PiMame, I would like it to automatically boot into either AdvMame or Mame4ALL. The less you see of the 'inner workings', the better.
Although MAME4ALL is the best performing version of MAME if you are building a dedicated “Cab” it may not be the best choice because of the lack of many features and settings that would be advantageous (AdvMAME was specifically written for that purpose originally). Another good thing about AdvMAME is you will probably find “Most” of your existing ROMS will work in it, unlike MAME4ALL
I agree, I do like the front end better and MOST of the games I play are before 1984. From 1976 to 1984 was the height of my video game playing era (Yes, I am that old...I was around when these games were originally released in the arcades). By 1986 to 1987, I got a job at the local amusement park and they had ALOT of pinball machines there and I started taking a liking to them over video games.
As far as games go, you’re looking at early 90sROMS as your upper limit.
Yes, that I gathered. Well I am going to try the romset out on AdvMAME now and try my .84 rom set on Mame4All...see how that works.

Thanx,

Geo

welshy

Thu May 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Ah, Star Wars emulation, yup happens on slower hardware! (They can’t handle all the Vectors that are produced in the explosion so rendering is slowed down...). Nice analogy “Death Star Test”.

junkingeo Wrote - “From 1976 to 1984 was the height of my video game playing era (Yes, I am that old...I was around when these games were originally released in the arcades).”

I guessed that was the case from the games you mentioned! As you have probably surmised (from my lists) I too am a relic from “The Golden Age of Video Games”. I prefer the term “Of a Certain Vintage” lol

jukingeo

Thu May 23, 2013 8:25 pm

welshy wrote:Ah, Star Wars emulation, yup happens on slower hardware! (They can’t handle all the Vectors that are produced in the explosion so rendering is slowed down...). Nice analogy “Death Star Test”.
LOL! Yeah, I kind of figured as much. I have always used Star Wars as a hardware test for Mame as if Star Wars can run flawlessly, including the Death Star explosion, then more then likely the hardware will run all of my games (and then some). If it chokes on the Death Star, then perhaps most of my games will run, but not all.
junkingeo Wrote - “From 1976 to 1984 was the height of my video game playing era (Yes, I am that old...I was around when these games were originally released in the arcades).”

I guessed that was the case from the games you mentioned! As you have probably surmised (from my lists) I too am a relic from “The Golden Age of Video Games”. I prefer the term “Of a Certain Vintage” lol
Kinda makes one feel a bit old around the newbies here.

At any rate, I have encountered another problem within PiMame. As it turns out my favorite games such as Pac Man, Dig Dug, Ms Pac Man, Moon Patrol, Galaga and even Donkey Kong tell me files are missing when I try to run them in Mame4All. However, these games will play in AdvMame. Furthermore, upon examining the contents of the roms, as is the case with Pac-Man (Puck Man) and Ms Pac Man...the requested missing files ARE present.

Would you know anything about this issue? I was going to make a separate more detailed post about this.

The peculiar thing is that I am doing my testing with newer roms and the newer the roms the more contents they have in the roms zip files. Yet since Mame4All was based on a much older rom set, it does have me wondering how could files be missing from newer roms.

Now, I could solve my problems by sticking with AdvMame, however the clicks and pops when switching out roms is very annoying. Furthermore instead of booting back to the game menu screen it seems like AdvMame starts itself all over again by going to the main boot menu for a second and then going back into Advmame.

The downside with AdvMame though is that, as you said, it runs quite a bit slower. Star Wars runs horribly there.

Once again, I need some assistance.

Thank You,
Geo

welshy

Thu May 23, 2013 9:54 pm

jukingeo
Star Wars is pretty much perfect if run in AdvMAME 0.94! The ROMS issue is to do with the way MAME works, every now and again the ROM Sets change and and/or are different for the revision and/ or fork of MAME e.g. AdvMAME, SDL MAME, MAME4ALL unfortunately. It just depends on how the ROM sets are in the actual Zip file, you will find some have multiple ROM Sets, other only the actual correct ones for a MAME revision. If you’re looking at pre 86 games AdvMAME 0.94 may be your best option with your SD Card booting straight into the AdvMENU Front end. As I have often stated here, thats emulation for you, there is NEVER a definitive ‘Best Option’, I run 3 different versions of MAME on my PC alone! Try AdvMAME 0.94 then compile AdvMENU, I previously wrote a “Guide” Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=23431

jukingeo

Thu May 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Well, good news on the Raspian Wheezy note. I am actually replying to this post using the Raspberry Pi. I am using this really lightweight browser that was included with Wheezy which is text and simple grapics only. It kind of harks back to the Windows 3.1 era when Compuserve was the big on-line thing. We are talking pre-America On-Line folks! Anyway, given the slower nature of the Raspi for doing any kind work with pictures and videos, I figured I would try it for text only purposes. Guess what, this browser works pretty fast!

Anyway, getting back on topic...

Star Wars is pretty much perfect if run in AdvMAME 0.94! The ROMS issue is to do with the way MAME works, every now and again the ROM Sets change and and/or are different for the revision and/ or fork of MAME e.g. AdvMAME, SDL MAME, MAME4ALL unfortunately. It just depends on how the ROM sets are in the actual Zip file, you will find some have multiple ROM Sets, other only the actual correct ones for a MAME revision.
Well, for the most part I think the rom sets are complete. While some of the roms are indeed missing a file or two as Mame4All states, what I don't get is when it kicks back an error for missing files when there are right there in the .zip package staring me in the face. Would you think running that clrmame tool would fix that?
If you’re looking at pre 86 games AdvMAME 0.94 may be your best option with your SD Card booting straight into the AdvMENU Front end. As I have often stated here, thats emulation for you, there is NEVER a definitive ‘Best Option’, I run 3 different versions of MAME on my PC alone! Try AdvMAME 0.94 then compile AdvMENU, I previously wrote a “Guide” Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=23431
Ok, I probably will go that route then.

Thanx,
Geo

jukingeo

Fri May 24, 2013 11:31 am

Hello Welshy,

Last night I took the dive and did the compile of AdvMame 0.94 as per the link you sent:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=32259

So far it looks like the compile took and I didn't see any error messages.
Now I am ready to set up Adv Menu and I have a few questions as what to do next.

1) When I set up Raspian/AdvMame I have it boot directly to the terminal prompt as such I don't know if it is booting directly to root or not. So I would need to know the difference. BTW, should I keep it this way or set it to boot directly into x. If so, how would I do that?

2) When setting up for the AdvMenu, do I have to have all my roms ready and such or can this all be added later? As it is, I don't want to include roms that do not work.

3) Simply put, where do I go from here? Once the 5 hour compile finished, this is where I stopped. I saw the install.sh command in the AdvMame folder, but I figured I wouldn't do anything yet until I checked back with you.

4) Slightly off topic but inevitable - Controllers:

a) What is the best way to go? USB? GPIO?
b) Staying with retro gaming it would seem like the most buttons I would need are 6 for single player and 4 for two player. Add two joysticks and I would be looking at 16 inputs. Add player 1 - 2 controls a credit button and an escape and now we are up to 20 inputs.
c) Does the Raspi have capability for trackball / spinner? I was going to assume 'yes' since the Pi can handle a mouse....which is really a trackball upside down. Yet, I don't know if Mame for the Pi supports it or not.

Thank You,
Geo

welshy

Fri May 24, 2013 3:10 pm

jukingeo
1. Wheezy boots into straight Console (Terminal) but NOT as root just a standard user. You don’t want to go into ‘X’ as this affects the performance of ANY program but an advantage of AdvMAME 0.94 is that it runs in a window on default settings (in 'X') which makes sorting everyting easier! What it needs to do when you eventually set up your Cab is boot directly into AdvMENU, check the Threads or start a new one asking how, someone will help you!
2. No, you can keep adding ROMS into the folder or make other changes and AdvMENU will auto update as required.
3. I didn’t use the auto script, I compiled it myself, if you did follow the instructions on the Thread. I’m not sure if the auto script does an install, just type advmame, if it doesn’t give you a response then it’s not installed! CD into the folder and run the executable, or Type - sudo make install in that folder (sudo is a half way house so you don’t have to be a root user, but it doesn’t work 4 everything some say it does but the ADV Suite crash on compile using sudo! (Think MS-DOS: Administrator = Linux: root user)
4. With controllers AdvMAME will run with pretty much anything thats connected to it (another advantage over MAME4ALL). USB would b easier but b careful, Linux drivers can be fickle (or they don’t exist!) so many pads may not work and the USB's in the RPi are low power, many pads (like the 'wired' xbox 360 pad) wont work either unless you use a powered 'HUB'. If you check the forum treads (or the NET) there are many people who have constructed Cabs using a RPi, many with FULL instructions and what hardware they used!

BBUK

Fri May 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Howdy.

I prepared a script that (in the search for better performance) patched and compiled Advmame versions as far back as 0.83.1. This did result in far better performance than 0.94 but nowhere near as good as pudding's mame4all (as a guide Pacmania ran at about 60% and SmashTV at 50%).

The script also installs (optionally) AdvanceMenu, Samba, Dispmanx and made the whole thing autoboot into Advmenu.

I am happy to share this if anyone is interested - but I will have to dust it off and test it again (I have moved on to other things since...).

BBUK

jukingeo

Fri May 24, 2013 4:56 pm

BBUK wrote:Howdy.

I prepared a script that (in the search for better performance) patched and compiled Advmame versions as far back as 0.83.1. This did result in far better performance than 0.94 but nowhere near as good as pudding's mame4all (as a guide Pacmania ran at about 60% and SmashTV at 50%).

The script also installs (optionally) AdvanceMenu, Samba, Dispmanx and made the whole thing autoboot into Advmenu.

I am happy to share this if anyone is interested - but I will have to dust it off and test it again (I have moved on to other things since...).

BBUK
Hello Bbuk,

I guess you have been following along. At any rate last night I followed your directions for compiling advance mame 0.94 into Wheezy. I managed to get it to run, but not without problems.

1) In X it runs in a very tiny window that I cannot make larger.
2) I would rather like to run it (full screen of course) at the prompt and eventually through AdvMENU. However, going straight from the prompt, I get this:

Error mapping video memory
Unable to start video emulation

I did recall reading something about that in your document on the compile and the fix was to go into the advance/linux/vfb.c and change the line:

Code: Select all

Map Shared | Map Fixed,
to just

Map Shared,
In the terminal I went back to the directory and ran 'make'. However, it didn't seem to work. I still get the error message.

Naturally I would like to get this working and then add AdvMame to it.
1. Wheezy boots into straight Console (Terminal) but NOT as root just a standard user. You don’t want to go into ‘X’ as this affects the performance of ANY program but an advantage of AdvMAME 0.94 is that it runs in a window on default settings (in 'X') which makes sorting everyting easier! What it needs to do when you eventually set up your Cab is boot directly into AdvMENU, check the Threads or start a new one asking how, someone will help you!
Yes, I did read this in several places and because of that, right from the get go when Wheezy installed, I said to go right to the prompt and don't enter X. More then likely I probably am not going to need x anyway once this is set up. So I DO want it to go right to the AdvMenu upon bootup and then present myself with the games list.
2. No, you can keep adding ROMS into the folder or make other changes and AdvMENU will auto update as required.
Oh, ok.
3. I didn’t use the auto script, I compiled it myself, if you did follow the instructions on the Thread. I’m not sure if the auto script does an install, just type advmame, if it doesn’t give you a response then it’s not installed! CD into the folder and run the executable, or Type - sudo make install in that folder (sudo is a half way house so you don’t have to be a root user, but it doesn’t work 4 everything some say it does but the ADV Suite crash on compile using sudo! (Think MS-DOS: Administrator = Linux: root user)
Yes, it did do the install. It was just that went I went into the ADVANCE directory, I was expecting to find the standard MAME directory structure and I didn't...so I thought it didn't take. But then I as I was doing some more reading, I found out that the directory structure is NOT in ADVANCE but . (point) Advance (.advance). Furthermore that folder is hidden, so I had to "unhide it". One I got into the folder I saw the standard MAME structure and proceeded to set it up with my roms, etc.
4. With controllers AdvMAME will run with pretty much anything thats connected to it (another advantage over MAME4ALL). USB would b easier but b careful, Linux drivers can be fickle (or they don’t exist!) so many pads may not work and the USB's in the RPi are low power, many pads (like the 'wired' xbox 360 pad) wont work either unless you use a powered 'HUB'. If you check the forum treads (or the NET) there are many people who have constructed Cabs using a RPi, many with FULL instructions and what hardware they used!
In the past I have hacked USB class compliant game pads only. Class compliant USB devices usually do not need drivers and as such the chances for success in Linux are that much greater. Usually the pad of choice is a Thrustmaster Firestorm. It is a standard D-button 4 shoulder - 4 thumb button setup. I like this controller because you can use it as is for testing and then hack it.

As of yet I have not built a Linux based Mame cab but I know the controller does work in Linux. It is just one of those things I wanted to do, but didn't do. I just want to have a full Linux Mame setup that is easily duplicated. Given the fixed nature of the Raspberry Pi hardware, it does seem like a natural choice for a Retro Multi-Mame cabinet.

Oh BTW, would you or BBuk would know how to get rid of that hideous "Continue:Exit" thing that AdvMame does upon exiting each game?

Thanx guys!
Geo
Last edited by jukingeo on Fri May 24, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBUK

Fri May 24, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi jukingeo.

I would not recommend running Advmame in X - it might work but it will be slowwwww.

The fix for vfb.c is the correct one to apply and should make Advmame 0.94 work from the console.

Did the (re)make show that vfb.c (and a few other files) were being compiled? Were there any errors? Did you do a "sudo make install" afterwards?

If you did all of these things (and there were no reported errors), it might be an idea to wait for me to post the updated script. Are you just interested in Advmame 0.94 or are you looking for the best performance that Advmame has to (sensibly) offer? It won't be as good as mame4all but pretty good for games up to 1987/1988 (except, alas, Galaga '88 which I never managed to run at a really decent speed).

BBUK

jukingeo

Fri May 24, 2013 6:10 pm

BBUK wrote:Hi jukingeo.

I would not recommend running Advmame in X - it might work but it will be slowwwww.
LOL! It barely works! First it runs in a really teeny tiny window and yes, it is slow.
The fix for vfb.c is the correct one to apply and should make Advmame 0.94 work from the console.

Did the (re)make show that vfb.c (and a few other files) were being compiled? Were there any errors? Did you do a "sudo make install" afterwards?
Ooops! That was the problem. I did a "sudo make advmame". So I did as you said above and yep, that worked! AND it runs full screen!

For the most part it runs NAWICE! I tried several 80's games out. Naturally games that used mirrors such as Battlezone, Space Invaders, and Asteroids Deluxe are not working and yes, I would like to fix this.

Ok, the Star Wars test...Wow! Overall, speed wise it is great AND the MOUSE works! So right there I know the Raspi will support Mame/Mouse control for the trackball. So that question was answered. The Death Star Test did fail, but only towards the end. One thing I didn't like was that the sound dipped in pitch. I would have preferred a simple stutter. The other complaint with Star Wars is that the colors on the vectors are WAY off. Things that are to be solid blue are actually blue/green mixed and red and yellow alternate on red items. The colors are a mess. I am hoping there is a fix for this.

Tempest is the same deal. It runs very well but the colors are atrocious.

As for regular raster games such as dig dug, pac man, ms pacman, even Moon Patrol...those are running great.
If you did all of these things (and there were no reported errors), it might be an idea to wait for me to post the updated script. Are you just interested in Advmame 0.94 or are you looking for the best performance that Advmame has to (sensibly) offer? It won't be as good as mame4all but pretty good for games up to 1987/1988 (except, alas, Galaga '88 which I never managed to run at a really decent speed).

BBUK
Actually your instructions for your automatic compile were good up until that last part with making the changes and running "sudo make install". I just says run 'make' or 'remake'. Not really specific.

Ok what I am looking for...

Ideally, I would like to have the Raspi in a small cabinet (desk/tabletop or wall mount). I would like it to boot DIRECTLY to AdvMenu. I think I mentioned before I am going to need about 20 inputs (should I go two player controls...but given the size of the cabinet, most likely it will not be). As demonstrated, it does seem that AdvMame in the Raspi is supporting the mouse, which is great as I can attach a trackball or spinner for games that use such.

Oh, the hideous "continue / exit" has to go. A simple push of the ESC key should take me back to the menu.

Edit: I did try to look this up myself and what I read is that there is an entry in the advance.rc file that says:

INPUT_MAP [Safeexit]  Yes
Changing this to 'No' would stop the 'continue/exit' from coming up. However, the only line I found in my advance.rc file that comes close to that was:

INPUT_MAP [Safequit] Auto
Naturally I decided to set this to 'no' and when I ran Advance Mame, I got an error message, so I had to set it back. Apparently, as the saying goes, that ain't it!

Speaking of menu, that next on my list to set up AdvMENU with this.

I think perhaps an entire update of putting BOTH AdvMame and AdvMenu together in one post would be in order. Also listing the best versions to use. As I discovered after I compiled AdvMame with the LATEST version of Raspian Wheezy, it seems that Welshy recommends going with an older version of the OS.

Overall, as it is currently, I am happy with the speed. Just the Vector colors and those 'mirror' games I would like to get going.

Thanx,
Geo

SSilver2k2

Sat May 25, 2013 5:32 am

Hi, I'm Shea Silverman, the maintainer and creator of PiMAME. I'm sorry for the difficulties you had with PiMAME. The older versions (pre 0.6) only needed 2GB sd cards. 0.7 and up requires a 4GB SD Card.

For advancemame, you only need to put the roms in the roms/ directory, mame4all roms goes in roms/mame4all/.

MAME4All is a recent addition to PiMAME. It was a feature request and we are still working on getting the bugs out.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any issues or suggestions. I'm trying to make it as easy as possible to have fun on the Pi.

my email is shea at sheasilverman.com and website is blog.sheasilverman.com
My blog of various geeky things - http://blog.sheasilverman.com
PiPLAY - http://piplay.org
DeskCade.com - Mini Raspberry Pi Arcade Cabinet

welshy

Sat May 25, 2013 6:46 am

jukingeo
The vector game "colour problem" you mention is beacuse AdvMAME's Default setting is "auto". heres an extract from my "Guide" to AdvMAME which explains how to correct them -

1. The “default” advmame.rc, display_color is “auto”. Vector games - Asteroids, Star Wars, etc will suffer from an incorrect application. DON’T change the advmame.rc! In the Options Menu (TAB) navigate to Video, Color and change “auto” to “bgr16” then “Save for this Game”
2. The “default” advmame.rc, display_mode is “auto” and display_magnify is “1”. This will affect certain games which will suffer from an incorrect application in Aspect Ratio (I’ve found Hyper Sports, I-Robot and Track and Field so far). Again, DONT change the advmame.rc! In the Options Menu (TAB) navigate to Video, magnify and change “1” to “2” then “Save for this Game”
3. The ONLY advmame.rc setting I WOULD change is display_resizeeffect from “auto” to “none”. Personally, I’m not a great fan of any of these in emulation and they WILL be applied when you change the magnification mode as described above. However, you can scroll through them in the Video Options Menu, experiment, see if like any of them!

jukingeo

Sat May 25, 2013 3:43 pm

SSilver2k2 wrote:Hi, I'm Shea Silverman, the maintainer and creator of PiMAME. I'm sorry for the difficulties you had with PiMAME. The older versions (pre 0.6) only needed 2GB sd cards. 0.7 and up requires a 4GB SD Card.
Hello Shea, thank you for dropping a line. First off I do have to commend you on your work with PiMame as I am sure it is a difficult undertaking to take on a large project such as PiMame. I know that it is an on-going project like anything else in the software world. More then likely most of the issues that I am having you probably already know about and/or even working on.

Mostly everything went fine, but there were some minor (or what seemed like minor) issues I had (and one major one that blew the os completely, but that could have been my fault).

First off, the iso DOES NOT fit on a 4 gig card. I tried it with two img to SD burning programs and the space needed was just over the mark. Not by much, but it still is over as both programs yielded a free memory error. I had to use an 8 gig card and then it worked fine.
For advancemame, you only need to put the roms in the roms/ directory, mame4all roms goes in roms/mame4all/.
I was curious about the independent roms folders, but I am sure you had your reasons for this. However, I would like to know if there would be a way to have both programs reference the same rom folder.
MAME4All is a recent addition to PiMAME. It was a feature request and we are still working on getting the bugs out.
I like the way Mame4All runs. It seems to be very fast and smooth. It runs vector games better too. Battlezone, Red Baron, Star Wars, Asteroids DLX ran fine. However, I had noticed that it has trouble with certain roms. I had trouble loading these games when they loaded fine in AdvMame:

Dig Dug
Donkey Kong
Galaga
Gaplus (Galaga 3)
Pac Man
Ms Pac Man
Moon Patrol

All of these turned a 'missing file' error. While indeed these seemed to be the case on most of the files in the case of Ms Pacman and Pacman the files WERE in the folder and yet the program turned out those errors.

The menu in Mame4All is a little bland and there is no screen shot view available. A minor gripe as the game selection screen does serve its purpose.

Now moving on to AdvMame / Adv Menu

The loading screen on this is much more 'pro' and cabinet ready, which is what I am after. You have the screen shots too. However there is one thing annoying is that when you exit a game it jumps, for a second or two, to the main emulator selection mention and then goes back to the game selection screen. I figured this was a glitch. Moreover, when you exit a game it make a series of horrendous clicks and pops which are very loud. If this is played back on a premium sound system that is in a cabinet, the loud pops could wake the dead...O.K. I am exaggerating, but I am sure over a long period of time damage to the sound system could ensue. But even playing games at a low volume still yields pretty loud pops and bangs.

AdvMame runs much slower than Mame4All and certain games which ran fine on that program wouldn't run at all in AdvMame. For example, one game I use to test hardware is Star Wars and if you read this whole thread, I use what is known as "The Death Star Test". Very simply put, you check out the performance at how the program handles the Death Star explosion and see if it passes or chokes.

In Mame4All, Star Wars ran fine, but did choke a bit on the Death Star Test. In AdvMame, Star Wars ran so choppy I didn't even get to the Death Star!

So I am wondering if using an older-faster version of AdvMame might help here. Welshy had been helping me out to compile a version of AdvMame 0.94.

Finally, games that would use a mirror in an arcade cabinet wouldn't work in AdvMame (Space Invaders, Asteroids DLX, Battlezone, etc).

Of the two programs I will say I am leaning towards Mame4All for general use, but in a cabinet, AdvMame would will IF it ran a bit smoother and the clicks and pops issue was rectified.

Now in my case I ran Chase HQ which is an early 90's game and the program choked up so bad, I had to do a 'hard exit' on it. Upon reboot, the startup couldn't find certain directories and files. It asked me for a fix and I said, "Yes". It proceeded to ask me to fix other files too. Then on reboot, I got to the emulator menu, but from there nothing would launch. So that was my bad experience. Hence I subsequently asked for a list of games that DO work so as not to repeat the mistake of running a game that wouldn't run.

So while that issue was mostly my fault, I do have to question as to why did the program fail so catastrophically that it took out the entire OS.
Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any issues or suggestions. I'm trying to make it as easy as possible to have fun on the Pi.
Well, I pretty outlined what I had found above already. Since then I had reloaded both OS's, but I am mostly using Mame4All since I have the AdvMame build Welshy (and BBUK) helped me out with.
my email is shea at sheasilverman.com and website is blog.sheasilverman.com
Ok, I probably will CC this post to your email. Thank You for posting here though, I do appreciate it. Keep up the good work on PiMame, as I am sure it can only improve in time.

The vector game "colour problem" you mention is beacuse AdvMAME's Default setting is "auto". heres an extract from my "Guide" to AdvMAME which explains how to correct them -

1. The “default” advmame.rc, display_color is “auto”. Vector games - Asteroids, Star Wars, etc will suffer from an incorrect application. DON’T change the advmame.rc! In the Options Menu (TAB) navigate to Video, Color and change “auto” to “bgr16” then “Save for this Game”
2. The “default” advmame.rc, display_mode is “auto” and display_magnify is “1”. This will affect certain games which will suffer from an incorrect application in Aspect Ratio (I’ve found Hyper Sports, I-Robot and Track and Field so far). Again, DONT change the advmame.rc! In the Options Menu (TAB) navigate to Video, magnify and change “1” to “2” then “Save for this Game”
Ok, got it, just us the TAB key within AdvMame then.
3. The ONLY advmame.rc setting I WOULD change is display_resizeeffect from “auto” to “none”. Personally, I’m not a great fan of any of these in emulation and they WILL be applied when you change the magnification mode as described above. However, you can scroll through them in the Video Options Menu, experiment, see if like any of them!
Well, really as long as I can correct the color I would be good. It looks like I am going to try to set up AdvMenu for today. Is that also a compile/build that will take another 5 hours to do?

Thanx,

Geo

welshy

Sat May 25, 2013 4:43 pm

jukingeo
The games you mentioned have known problems in MAME4ALL (It’s not the author (Sqiuds) fault, it’s the CORE), I have the same problems with it on PSP, Popeye has issues to, I have NEVER found a version that works! (It just boots to a load of circles! Ditto Pole Position).
AdvMENU doesn’t take long to compile (from memory about 15-20 minutes). MAME uses drivers for the core/sound/graphics for each individual game, along with each CPU/sound/graphics CHIP used, that’s why it takes so long!
Filters, was just making the point I am not a fan of ‘Filters’, HQX etc, would rather see the games as intended, like i say, personally I dont think they add anything!

jukingeo

Sun May 26, 2013 2:24 am

Hello Welshy

I tried this tonight and it works perfectly...however, it doesn't save. I tried it on a few vector games and all lost the setting as soon as I exited the game. If I go back into the game, I am back to all off colors.

One thing though...when it was set right, those colors are fantastic. On tempest the hi score display page looks almost 3D! I have to tell you that normally I am a stickler for old fashioned CRT displays, but despite I have an HD flatscreen, it looks great.
The games you mentioned have known problems in MAME4ALL (It’s not the author (Sqiuds) fault, it’s the CORE), I have the same problems with it on PSP, Popeye has issues to, I have NEVER found a version that works! (It just boots to a load of circles! Ditto Pole Position).
I just found it weird how only a select few games that are didn't work.
AdvMENU doesn’t take long to compile (from memory about 15-20 minutes).
Oh, ok.
MAME uses drivers for the core/sound/graphics for each individual game, along with each CPU/sound/graphics CHIP used, that’s why it takes so long!
Filters, was just making the point I am not a fan of ‘Filters’, HQX etc, would rather see the games as intended, like i say, personally I dont think they add anything!
If I would have a genuine arcade CRT then I wouldn't want to add anything either...you wouldn't need to. But it is hard to find an arcade monitor that would work off the HDMI output of the Pi. Sure you could use the composite out, but that would be a step back. An arcade CRT is still component input and is looking for separate RGB inputs. Back in the day I was futzing around with S-Video outputs and TV's mostly because arcade monitors were expensive if you wanted them new. It was a nice compromise between "home" and "arcade" quality.

Anyway, I am going to review your posts in regards to adding AdvMenu. From what I seen thusfar with the AdvMame 0.94 build, I think I am good.

Edit: Ok, I managed to compile and get AdvMenu running. However, I have a loud static sound in the speakers while I am on the menu. Once I made a selection and it goes into the game, the static goes away and the normal game sounds take over. However, once you exit the game back to the menu, the static comes back. Is there a solution for this?

Oh! I wanted to fix the Space Invader / Asteroids DLX overlay issue as well. I linked to the fix above and it mentions this file (or folder for that matter):

vidhrdw/8080bw.c

Where is this located?

Thanx,
Geo

Thanx,

Geo

welshy

Sun May 26, 2013 5:31 am

jukingeo
If the settings are not saving it could be that when you initially ran advmenu to set up you were still a ROOT user! (The privileges for the file will be ROOT so ONLY a ROOT user can save to the file!).

delete the advmenu.rc then run advmenu again (a new file will appear).
or
You can manually write them in the advmame.rc with the correct script (then save).

e.g.
starwars/display_color brg16 (for colors).
trackfld/display_magnify 2 (for Aspect Ratio).

I had the same problem with sound on AdvMENU, you can run sound files or video files in the menu and, as I recall it was grabbing the ‘Donkey Kong’ samples for some reason and playing them in the menu! To remove them change the following -

sound_background and sound_foreground settings, they are as follows: begin, end, loop, start and stop, so set to ‘none’.

e.g.
sound_background_begin none
sound_foreground_begin none

As far as the monitor in the Cab goes, thats another issue, the problem is if you use the analogue outputs for graphics and sound the RPi struggles with analogue sound (It takes a LOT of processing power) so will effect performance. You can buy hdmi/composite convertors but they are NOT cheap, like I said before, check the Forum/Net for solutions by reading what others have done building their Cabs.

As far as the ‘Space Invader / Asteroids DLX overlay issue goes, thats a bit more complicated to cover in a quick Forum post! (If you dont understand what robotron has written, leave well alone, and it only works for 8080 based hardware, NOT Asteroids Deluxe (6502), which requires more changes). Anyway, it fixes the game so it plays in ‘X’ (with the overlay so you can see the picture behind the display) but DOESN’T work from Console (only the game graphics work). My solution was as I’m not fan of either game I don’t use them, however, if you want Space Invaders the Space Invaders Deluxe ROM works fine without the change.But it DOES require changing

display_resize fractional
to
display_resize mixed

Again, do it through the Options Menu (TAB) and 'Save for this Game'

jukingeo

Sun May 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Hello All,

Ok, it did it again...

Last night I when I was testing a few more things out, I accidentally went into Battlezone which is an overlay game. I got the blank screen and I tried to exit out. Didn't work. So being that it was late, I decided to pull the plug and call it a night.

This morning I wanted to try the fixes that Welshy wrote above for the AdvMENU sound issue and boom...the OS wouldn't boot up. ...Again.

While it is booting it says EXT4 - FS error-(device mccblk0p2) for a bunch of files. There is a number that changes on the left, but pretty much the rest of it all says EXT4-FS error.

Sooooo, now this is the 2nd time this happened with an error on a game. As of now I am still maintaining my cool as many hours of work just was flushed down the toilet.

At this point in time, I am questioning the feasibility of putting this in a cabinet if you can't simply 'pull the plug' on it. As that is the case with most arcade machines.

As of now I would like to know if anyone else had this issue. I would like to know WHY the entire OS blows out just from a pulling the plug on a poor recovery from a crash. I would like to know why this is happening and what to do to prevent it in the future. Furthermore, I would also like to know how to make a bit for bit copy of the SD card so this way if the OS blows out again, I can just copy over my work from the 'good' card and then resume from there.

Man...JUST when I though things were going well and moving forward...

Edit:
Ok, another deep breath and I 'reset' my SD card. I didn't compile Advmame as of yet because I am wondering if I could take care of that overlay problem right off the bat. It seems like that is the main cause of trouble right now and I don't want to accidentally go into a game that has this and royally screw things up again.

I did get smart this time around and since I know I would never be using the full 4gig on the SD card, I set up a partition that has all the important files I need on it so it is very easy to copy things over once it is set up. However, like I said above, once I get everything set up, I would like to know how to do a bit for bit copy of the SD card so that I always have a backup and never have to start from scratch again.

Thanx,
Geo

welshy

Mon May 27, 2013 9:30 am

jukingeo
I have NEVER had an issue with crash on boot, have you set your ‘Overclock’ too high or using a 'cheap' Memory Card? (This often causes instability). ANY computer system is prone to error and/or ‘crash’, as the RPi is actually just a ‘Dev Board’, perhaps, even more so (although, I have found it VERY stable)! Your best bet it to Back Up your Image occasionally just in case (especially when making fundamental changes to the system)! You can use whatever software you used to ‘Flash’ the Image 'in reverse' to do this (its appox 15GIG then Zip/Rar to reduce to 5GIG). I have two Images, one is a blank DevBuild that I use to compile the other a ‘Binary Build’ that I add compiled programs to (I only use one Card and ‘Flash’ whichever one is required at the time). Once you have compiled any program generally all you need to do is ‘copy’ the executable which can be stored and used again in another Image! The only thing you would need to do is when running the program again is set up the 'permissions' just use

sudo chmod +x 'program name'
e.g.
sudo chmod +x advmame

Which will allow permissions to run it!

jukingeo

Mon May 27, 2013 9:34 pm

I have NEVER had an issue with crash on boot, have you set your ‘Overclock’ too high or using a 'cheap' Memory Card? (This often causes instability).
Actually the crash isn't on boot...the crash happened with one of those games that has the overlay issue. The Pi locks up so bad, I have to pull the plug on it. Upon the next fresh cold boot up is when I get all the errors and pretty much the OS is rendered inoperable. Thusfar this is the 2nd time this has happened with the SAME issue yet different memory card and different set up (the first time was on a Sandisk card with PiMame and the 2nd time was with Raspian/Advmame on a PNY card). The cards are not cheapy 2nd class. The cards are class 4 and 6.

As for the overclock, I set it to the recommended 900hz.
ANY computer system is prone to error and/or ‘crash’, as the RPi is actually just a ‘Dev Board’, perhaps, even more so (although, I have found it VERY stable)!
Perhaps so, but doing some math here the only common culprit would be AdvMenu with AdvMame. As I recall I tried to boot up those overlay games just using AdvMame alone and I didn't get the crash. So that might be it. The only other common denominator is the Pi itself. Yet, everyone I speak says they love the thing.

Since the issue is stemming from the overlay problem, then perhaps that is the fix. With that fix in place, the AdvMame/Menu shouldn't crash.
Your best bet it to Back Up your Image occasionally just in case (especially when making fundamental changes to the system)! You can use whatever software you used to ‘Flash’ the Image 'in reverse' to do this (its appox 15GIG then Zip/Rar to reduce to 5GIG).
So this is effectively 'canning' your setup? I like the idea...but 15gig? What goes on that makes the file THAT big!

Is there a way to do a bit for bit copy of the flash drive so this way all I have to do is plug it in and go?
I have two Images, one is a blank DevBuild that I use to compile the other a ‘Binary Build’ that I add compiled programs to (I only use one Card and ‘Flash’ whichever one is required at the time). Once you have compiled any program generally all you need to do is ‘copy’ the executable which can be stored and used again in another Image! The only thing you would need to do is when running the program again is set up the 'permissions' just use

sudo chmod +x 'program name'
e.g.
sudo chmod +x advmame

Which will allow permissions to run it!
Sounds good except for the 15 gig thing. So you need a 16gig card to pull that off?

Thanx,
Geo

jukingeo

Mon May 27, 2013 11:24 pm

If the settings are not saving it could be that when you initially ran advmenu to set up you were still a ROOT user! (The privileges for the file will be ROOT so ONLY a ROOT user can save to the file!).

delete the advmenu.rc then run advmenu again (a new file will appear).
or
You can manually write them in the advmame.rc with the correct script (then save).

e.g.
starwars/display_color brg16 (for colors).
trackfld/display_magnify 2 (for Aspect Ratio).
Funny, I have a hard time knowing if I am in root or not within Raspian. It is easier in Ubuntu because my login, geo, shows up before the $ when I am NOT in root. However, if can save it manually in the advmame.rc then I will know what to do if it happens again.
I had the same problem with sound on AdvMENU, you can run sound files or video files in the menu and, as I recall it was grabbing the ‘Donkey Kong’ samples for some reason and playing them in the menu! To remove them change the following -

sound_background and sound_foreground settings, they are as follows: begin, end, loop, start and stop, so set to ‘none’.
Oh, so that is it then. Is it possible for me to set it up so it can play a folder loaded with 80's music? Can AdvMenu also 'cycle' the screen shots? Then I could us that as my 'menu attract' mode. In windows I use Mala for Mame and it does that.
e.g.
sound_background_begin none
sound_foreground_begin none
And this will kill the sound altogether, right? Now I am curious as to what was making all the noise in the first place.
As far as the monitor in the Cab goes, thats another issue, the problem is if you use the analogue outputs for graphics and sound the RPi struggles with analogue sound (It takes a LOT of processing power) so will effect performance. You can buy hdmi/composite convertors but they are NOT cheap, like I said before, check the Forum/Net for solutions by reading what others have done building their Cabs.
I am probably not going to bother. I am probably going to stick with a small DVI monitor as game play looked fine on my 22" LG monitor for my desktop computer. The only thing I would do though is try to find a 4:3 DVI monitor.
As far as the ‘Space Invader / Asteroids DLX overlay issue goes, thats a bit more complicated to cover in a quick Forum post! (If you dont understand what robotron has written, leave well alone, and it only works for 8080 based hardware, NOT Asteroids Deluxe (6502), which requires more changes). Anyway, it fixes the game so it plays in ‘X’ (with the overlay so you can see the picture behind the display) but DOESN’T work from Console (only the game graphics work). My solution was as I’m not fan of either game I don’t use them, however, if you want Space Invaders the Space Invaders Deluxe ROM works fine without the change.But it DOES require changing

display_resize fractional
to
display_resize mixed

Again, do it through the Options Menu (TAB) and 'Save for this Game'
That is a tough call to NOT use Space Invaders...however, I do recall having a later version of Space Invaders called Space Invaders DX. This was pretty much a redo with a standard raster background. So it should work. However, I will admit to being a big fan of Space Invaders Deluxe so by changing those settings I should be able to play it then. One caveat though is that I did notice though is that Space Invaders Deluxe DOES NOT show up in AdvMENU. Would you know why that is the case and how to correct it?

Thank You,

Geo

Return to “Gaming”