Psyec

Difficulty of porting a game

Wed May 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Good day,
I hope this is the right place to put something like this.

I am a student and am about to enter my third year at University. One of my suggested projects for my individual project which should take around 400 hours including a report of 25000 words was porting a charity game named Kye onto the raspberry Pi. I am supposed to do this in Python.

I was hoping that anyone who had ported a game to Pi before in any language, not just Python and knows how long this would take / the difficulty of undertaking this sort of project would give me some advice as I am not yet certain how suitable this idea would be. I currently have never used Python although by the time I start I should have a reasonable grasp of the language. The game is not fixed so if you do think it is too easy for a third year project I would be delighted if you could recommend a more difficult game.

Thank-you,
Emma

topguy

Re: Difficulty of porting a game

Wed May 22, 2013 2:21 pm

You could take a look at Xye (http://xye.sourceforge.net/) which I believe is an open source implementation of the same game. If you can read the code ( and if its well documented ) it might give you a decent idea on how big the job might be to do in python.

DaveDriesen

Wed May 22, 2013 3:12 pm

How are your coding/authoring skills in general?

400 hours = 50 days = 10 business weeks

If your Kung Fu is somewhat strong, you would do this in one week. With Mad Skillz you'd probably get the coding done by tomorrow morning (although mad skillz does imply an all nighter).

Point is, divide your time according to your estimate of your skills (coding/authoring), because the 25000 word report might turn out to be the more challenging task.

Dave Driesen
Linux dev and oldskool elite

msmithy12

Wed May 22, 2013 3:25 pm

I know my BEng project ended up testing my report writing skills much more than my engineering skills, and my colleagues would rate my engineering skills as poor :D

Although I find most engineers I meet excel practically not academically.

Anyhow I agree that you should not underestimate the report 25000 words is a lot. I used to enjoy the 50 page recommended assignments/projects because double line space is my friend!
I assume I know what I`m talking about... I probably don`t

Home: 256mb Made in UK, Rasbmc, 40" Sony Bravia KDL-40v3000
Work: 2b+, Rasbian, 6" Lilliput touchscreen

Wed May 22, 2013 8:58 pm

If its python then the port will be pretty straight forward. Python is an interpreted language, interpreters for python 2 and 3 are already included on raspbian.

mrpi64

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:38 am

Time taking depends how long the original code is
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

Return to “Gaming”