anthony62490

Another RetroPie Controller question

Wed May 22, 2013 5:19 am

I hate to ask questions like this when there are so many other questions like it, but none of the tips given on other threads seem to work.

As far as I can tell, controller input is dictated by three files.
/home/pi/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
/home/pi/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg
/home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/RetroArch/tools/retroarch-joyconfig

The thing is, I'm not really sure what each file does. I know that es_input.cfg is supposed to be responsible for the initial controller setup the first time you boot up the OS. So I deleted it in order to go through the setup process again (of course, I did NOT make a backup of the file). The configuration process started up again, but now none of the games have sound and the controller only works on the menus. I have to use the keyboard to play games.

I have already tried running retroarch-joyconfig, but after following the prompts, it does not appear to have any effect. If I have to reset the OS from scratch, I will. Setting up the controller is proving to be a chore.

etherbest

Re: Another RetroPie Controller question

Wed May 22, 2013 3:31 pm

/home/pi/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

That file has the config for games launched with the retroarch engine.

/home/pi/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg

This file has the config for the first front end you see, the selector (EmulationStation)

/home/pi/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

This file is what defines what to use to launch what games.

/home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/RetroArch/tools/retroarch-joyconfig

This is just a tool that should be able to generate the retroarch-engine config file for the joystick support. (I dont have my rpi with me at the moment and never used that tool, so cant guarantee a 100% that thats the case.)

If you cant get it to work, I suggest you reflash the SD again, and then modify one thing at the time and see what happens, thats the best way to learn. Good luck!

Aloshi

Wed May 22, 2013 6:22 pm

You need to specifically direct the retroarch-joyconfig program on where to output the config file it generates. There's some articles on the wiki about this here and here (ignore the 360 controller-specific stuff; pick up at the "cd" line).

anthony62490

Thu May 23, 2013 10:28 pm

Aloshi wrote:You need to specifically direct the retroarch-joyconfig program on where to output the config file it generates. There's some articles on the wiki about this here and here (ignore the 360 controller-specific stuff; pick up at the "cd" line).
Oh, I see. I added the results of retroarch-joyconfig to the end of retroarch.cfg and now the controls in most games work perfectly. However, this did nothing to the buttons that control the menus. So I flashed the SD card, started over, reconfigured the menu controls, and added the results of retroarch-joyconfig to the end of retroarch.cfg. It worked perfectly. The controls are exactly as I would have expected them to. Thank you all very much.
Some emulators still don't behave properly, but I suspect that that is a software problem rather than a joystick configuration error. Thank you for your help.

Return to “Gaming”