welshy

ATARI ST EMULATOR, HATARI

Tue May 14, 2013 3:00 pm

With all the recent (And historic) posting about “Frontier” (Elite 2) posted, I thought it prudent to post some info on Hatari, the Atari ST Emulator (Pete Burgess previously mentioned it in a Thread) Link Here - http://hatari.tuxfamily.org/. The ST was faster for “Polygon” based 3D games than the Amiga (Where its custom Hardware could not assist) due to its 68000 running at a higher clock setting (8MHz as opposed to 7.16). It’s straight forward to compile (Use version 1.2.0), ./configure, make, runs in Console or “X” and I haven’t had a game/demo that has foxed it as yet! Well worth a look!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Otto

Re: ATARI ST EMULATOR, HATARI

Wed May 15, 2013 7:38 am

I think you'll find the Amiga was better at polygon based games too, the hardware could do line drawing and filling.
Any 3D games that were slower on the Amiga were simply because they were straight ports from the ST ..... :)

welshy

Wed May 15, 2013 12:12 pm

Otto
Fair point and although I don’t wish to get involved in semantics on which individual hardware was better (Lets not go there!), but it isn’t just a case of “Straight Ports” between the Atari ST and Amiga. The industry was in flux at the time (After the 1983 Video Game Crash) and becoming more business orientated, games were programmed in C rather than assembler for “Porting” to competing systems (ST, Amiga and Macintosh). To ease code transfer between them, it wasn’t “Machine Specific” as it wasn’t cost effective and/or profitable to do so. Thusly, a lot of software didn’t use the additional Amiga custom hardware (One Publisher who did was “Cinemaware” and look what happened to them!). So, due to these factors “Most” 3D Polygon based games (Even some Bitmapped Titles, Paul Woakes “Backlash” for instance) were, if fact, faster on the ST.

One Last Thing.....
I’m not being “Biased” either way as I owned BOTH machines at the time! Software that was “Machine Specific”, the previously mentioned Cinemaware Tiles for instance were VASTLY superior on the Amiga! (Although, of note, RJ Mical programmed Defender of the Crown for the Company, so as one of the original designers of the Hardware and advocate of the system had an added incentive in making it as impressive as possible!)

AmigaGamer

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:37 am

Hatari now supports SDL2 scaling and Vsync in its mercurial repository, its a new development build so there might be some bugs.
http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari

You need SDL2 and development headers installed. Theres guides on the forum for this

grab it with

Code: Select all

hg clone http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari 
configure with

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-sdl2

Fidelius

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:38 am

Sine Hatari (v1.62) is in the Raspbian's repository, I apt-get installed it and it runs very smooth on the Pi2. That's wonderful to see what this fine Pi can do out of the box.

However, with some demos or games (like the amazing Carrier Command) there doesn't seem to be any sounds: Hatari prints some messages to the console mentioning some sound buffer thing.

Did other people find a way to "see" sound also for these demos/games with Hatari on the Pi? Thank you.

welshy

Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:52 am

Fidelius
Many 'Demo's' present a problem for Emulators. The Bedroom Coders/Groups who produced them used many 'Tricks' and Non-Standard coding practices to produce results that even the original designers of the Hardware through impossible! For instance I have seen the C64 and Atari 8 Bit computers running Full Screen Digitized Video! (Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXLv7UosQXs), or games running on the Amiga with 4096 Colors, which should only be possible using the 'HAM' (Hold And Modify) Mode with 'Static' screens. Obviously many Emulators cannot reproduce these results as the Original Chip Set isn't being utilized, just an Emulated version of it, but usually the best way to reproduce them (if possible) is to use an Original Bios.

Fidelius

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:14 am

Welshy, thanks for the explanation which I understand.
So I concentrated on a few games then, where some have sound but a few gems don't have sound on Hatari on the Pi, but on Hatari on a Linux PC.
Has anybody of you experienced the same problem with Hatari on the Pi? (I use the version from the Raspbian repository.)

welshy

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:34 pm

Fidelius
It could be the re-vision that's in the Repo's, they often aren't the latest one, or come to that, nowhere near it! I haven't found any Issues since the Original Post with TOS v1.02, although I would have to re-check Carrier Command, but I don't recall any problems. Even the Star Trek Sampled/Digitized Game/Tech Demo (it was never actually finished, although released, no problem!)

Higgy

Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:09 am

I thought I saw a message before Christmas that Hatari v1.9 has been released, but I cannot now find it. Although I found a .gz of it on my Hard Drive ?

I tried the command that was posted on an earlier thread hoping it would now pick v1.9:

hg clone http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari

But 'hg' is not a recognised command? Any help in building v1.9 please.

welshy

Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:33 am

Higgy
Just download it from the Homepage, no need to 'Clone' it!

Link - http://hatari.tuxfamily.org/

Higgy

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:25 pm

Thanks. Although I don't think there is a compiled binary in there.

I did try compiling from the file I found on my Hard Drive but got errors. There was mention about needing to install 'Cmake' and SDL2 stuff.
I was being lazy and was hoping for a step-by-step guide :) I will see if I can have a look over the weekend at compiling v1.9

welshy

Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:55 pm

Higgy
Nope, it's Source, that's Linux for you! Most sites/Emulators only have a WIN Binary, others have to be compiled. In most cases usually its a straight forward/easy compile though!

pik33

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:54 pm

I compiled hatari and sdl2 from latest sources. It works slow, unusable. Configured and recompiled with sdl 1.2 works good, but it has problems with ST mono screen which has bad aspect ratio or is (in earlier version of Hatari) blue instead of white.

I will experiment further

Magic Knight

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:07 am

sudo apt-get install hatari - will install the Atari ST emulator nice and quickly.
download a TOS rom, search Google for - 'Atari ST tos rom', pick a 1.04 for games.
a few games, search Google for - 'Atari ST game roms'
and away you go .......
Last edited by Magic Knight on Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

welshy

Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:54 am

Magic Knight
Careful with the Links! Might I suggest removing the Link from your post as to not get the Foundation into trouble!

From the Emulation Thread -
FORUM RULES ON POSTING IN REGARDS TO ROMS/GAME IMAGES
Due to the nature/complexity of Copyright/Intellectual Property Rights Law, which differs significantly from Country to Country, before posting on the Forum regarding Emulation please read the following rules. ROMS/Game Images are prolifically available on the Internet (a quick search in your favourite Web Browser should suffice), however, to protect the Raspberry Pi Foundation from possible legal action by the Copyright Owners please DO NOT -

1. Ask for ROMS/Game Images
2. Ask where they can be downloaded
3. Post links to Download Sites and/or ROMS/Game Images

Thank you for your co-operation!

Cheers!
welshy (Emulation Thread Author/Editor)

Magic Knight

Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:04 am

what links ?

DavidS

Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:42 pm

And no mention of Aranym?

for games and demos Hatari is a great emulator, though a little slow in Falcon mode. Given the correct configuration I have yet to find a ST/STE demo that will not run on it correctly. Now TT and Falcon demos are more of a hit and miss.

To the tricks noted above:
What about the 4096 Color paint programs on the Atari ST?
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Brut

Fri May 31, 2019 10:52 pm

Is someone still playing these games? I play Atari ST Rom's with RetroArch Emulator but I want to try Hatari emulator but it can't be found anywhere.

Return to “Gaming”