goncalocg

p specializaroblem with retropie installation

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:13 pm

hello everyone! I didn't know if I should post this here or in retropie page but tought that here there would be an ampler community to help...

I did the installation of RetroPie by the book , but after the 6 hours it took to install, it said that could not compile Neo geo, could not compile PC engine, and also DGNES and SNES...so what went wrong!?
it will not function right? and what can I do?

I'm a complete noob with everything and there's so many information, but everytime it's very specialized information, so it is very hard for me too keep up, but i'm an enthusiast...so thank you for you time and patience!

Obrigado

Aloshi

Re: p specializaroblem with retropie installation

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:26 pm

There's a lot of reasons why a compile can fail: the most common one is probably "not enough RAM." How much RAM is allocated to the GPU in /boot/config.txt? Lower is better for compiling (though don't set it below 16 or so).

You can try to compile the emulators that failed again by only selecting the ones you want in the source-based installation menu. Use Space to select/deselect options, enter to accept. The emulators that compiled successfully will still be there from last time, so you don't need to compile them again!

goncalocg

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:18 am

Hello Aloshi!

Thank you for your answer! I had tried to compiled them individually through /configure and /make like it says on installation notes in each emulator folder, but it didn't work...guess my compilations skills aren't the best...;)

I will try that and say something later about how it is running...I think I might have another doubt or two...

thanks!

goncalocg

Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:48 am

Hello!

I could successfully compile DGEN emulator but PC Engine core and NeoGeo emulator still says it couldn't compile them... I tried lowering the RAM value to 32 but gives the same result...trying to compile them through the terminal with commands will be the same?

goncalocg

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:25 pm

in the folder gngeo-0.7 i've made:
-> ./configure
and when I do:
-> make
it starts welll but then gives error 1 and starts leaving directories and stops...
maybe something about "libeffect.a: could not read symbols: file in wrong format"?

don't know, just shooting in the dark...thanks

Aloshi

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Odd. Try running "make clean" then run "make" again. It sounds like one of your compiled files is corrupted. If that doesn't work, you could try downloading the files again manually, as the script does: https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... up.sh#L968

goncalocg

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:56 pm

for the neogeo emulator (x86 haven't tried yet):

I wrote (after make clean giving the same error):

- the wget command
- unpacked with tar
- and ran config like in the file you showed...

the configuration ran a little bit better but again fails on libeffect.a

What I don't understand is if the Pi's are all equal and the files are all equal too, why is this happenning? Starting to get demotivated =(

edit: don't know what I've done but after some repeats I think all went well...going to try for rpix86...

Thank you for your time and answer...

goncalocg

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:55 pm

about the rpix86 installation...

Through the retropie setup continues to give me the error: could not compile successfully PC Engine Core...

it inflates the .zip file and then doesn't do anything, simply exits..

through the terminal and looking to retropie_setup.sh the only think left to do is this?:

chgrp -R $user $rootdir
chown -R $user $rootdir

this gives me "missing operand"...Need some help, I'm the final lap to put all this to work...

thanks everyone for the time.

edit: when the compilation starts immediatly gives a fatal error saying: mednafen-pce-libreto ....repository not found
2edit: also vba-next is missing from emulatorcores..
3edit: guess it isn't needed anymore...updated retropie_setup script and there was no problemas installing x86 as this time there was no engine core to install...

everything is working except for DGENS that freezes my Pi at the beginning of each game, and neo geo...maybe it is because of bios or roms, going to check it out

goncalocg

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:41 pm

so, after everything compiled sucessfully:

- DGEN freezes when launching games
- and gngeo, I can see in the terminal when launching the games something like /installdir/bin/gngeo: not found....

so...any ideas?=P

Thank you

IdrisArslanian

Fri May 24, 2013 4:52 am

I too, had this issue. Took me a damn long time to figure it out. The GNGEO never successfully compiled. I used the instructions on: http://dhruvgairola.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... eogeo.html

MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL(configure; make; make install) ZLIB. IT IS NOT OPTIONAL.

Also: /usr/share/local/gngeo/ is wrong to copy your BIOS files, the correct path is: /usr/local/share/gngeo

You will also have to modify the emulationstation config file to use arm-linux-gngeo instead of just gngeo.

Hope that helps!

bucker

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:27 am

im getting flags biospath set on cmd line and flags romspath set on cmd line whenever i try to run neogeo games from emulationstation, any tips on this?
Winning is for losers.

Pi Zero W (inside a Pikachu case ;) ) with DietPi running Sonarr,Couchpotato,Pi-hole,Pi-VPN
Pi B running Home Assistant
Pi 2B & HiFiBerry DAC+ running Volumio OS
Pi 3B (inside a genesis case 8-) ) running RetroPie
--

bucker

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Hello,

I managed to compile with sucess using this build: https://github.com/ymartel06/GnGeo-Pi

Everything worked fine, many thanks to the author.
Hope this helps someone
Cheers
Winning is for losers.

Pi Zero W (inside a Pikachu case ;) ) with DietPi running Sonarr,Couchpotato,Pi-hole,Pi-VPN
Pi B running Home Assistant
Pi 2B & HiFiBerry DAC+ running Volumio OS
Pi 3B (inside a genesis case 8-) ) running RetroPie
--

Return to “Gaming”